UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oblivion on Windows 7 64-bit OS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:47 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
I was taking a look at the Oblivion System Requirements page on the wiki to see Oblivion's compatibility with Windows 7 64-bit edition. The wiki page says that there are some difficulties when running Oblivion on Windows Vista 64-bit, but says nothing about Windows 7 64-bit compatibility. Microsoft claims that there have been some big strides in backwards compatibility between 64-bit and 32-bit systems for Windows 7. So, I'm asking if anyone has any opinions or facts to show Oblivion's compatibility with Windows 7 64-bit. I'd like to know how it will work before I upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Post subject: Re: Oblivion on Windows 7 64-bit OS
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:23 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

How do I know what bit my vista is?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:32 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It works good, in fact I had it installed on 64bit Vista, and when I upgraded to 64bit 7, it actually worked better.

And to check what version you have, open the start menu, type in "System" then hit enter, wait until the program called System appears under the Control Panel category. Then click it and it will tell you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
UESPoints: 500
I've got Windows 7 64-bit and Fallout 3, Oblivion, Dragon Age, Half-Life 2 etc. all run very smoothly :).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: Ps3, PC
What about modding it on Windows 7 ?

I have some serious problems on Vista :S (everything worked fine until I got that god damned Vista...)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:24 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have Windows 7 64-bit in my possession now and I plan to reformat my drive and install it within the week. Glad to see that there have been no real issues with it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:31 pm 
Layman
Layman

I am able to install mods but they do not function properly
I run win7 64bit
Specific mod I have tested is HotKeyCasting (I can get the menu and bindings to work but it will not cast after spell is assigned to hotkey)
I had this working on XP but recently "upgraded" to win7 and it no longer works (I may be "upgrading" back to XP)

The vanilla game runs just fine though, and with win7 actually runs a little better becuase it can take advantage of my 4g dual channel ram

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:01 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Online
Josjie wrote:
I've got Windows 7 64-bit and Fallout 3, Oblivion, Dragon Age, Half-Life 2 etc. all run very smoothly :).

I have exactly the same and no problems at all. The one thing it took me a while to work out was to disable User Account Control, those messages that appear when you try to do anything. Once they're gone, Oblivion runs just as well as on XP.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:12 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Oblivion GOTY.
Platform: PC, PS3.
Yeah well apparently it works. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:37 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfal, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion + DLC, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
I have no problems running oblivion on my windows 7 64bit. Come to think of it it runs better than vista 32bit.
i only have problems with the cs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:08 am 
Layman
Layman

Oblivion and others games just won't start under my Windows 7 64-bit: the game freezes and rundll32 eats up 50% of my cpu.

I finally found a solution that works - if you have this problem, you'll have to disable Game Explorer and allow the games to run with full permissions.

To disable Game Explorer, type shell:games in the Start Menu search box and press enter to open Games Explorer, then click Options (2nd button from the left). A new window will appear, make sure the "game updates and news" is set to "never check online for updates or news" and untick everything else.

As for the permissions, right click on the game icon (e.g. Oblivion) and choose Properties, then in the Compability tab tick the box that says "run this program as administrator", and finally in the Security tab click on your username and modify permissions (allow everything), then click OK.

For Oblivion only: if you are running OBSE you'll have to do the same thing both for launcher.exe and for obse_loader.exe or the game won't startup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:48 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: oblivion, morrowind
Platform: pc
I'm not sure if oblvion runs as smoothly under windows 7 64. I've had a few problems with it, like it crashing when trying to save after an undetermined amount of time (aka at random) Also there are more people with this problem and the only thing we seem to have in common is that we have windows 7 64 bit. Though, as far as I am able to tell, there are not many people experiencing this problem. Though perhaps for more info on the topic you could check the follwoing link: http://forums.uesp.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18522

EDIT: other then that problem the game doesn't show any other signs of incompetability

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:01 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I use Win7 64bit, I do not have to use backwards compatibility but I DO have random crashes, generally if I've tabbed out too much and gone back in, then fast travel and kaboom.

Also definitely get FastExit2, or it will crash every time you close the game if it's run for more than 30 minutes (for me, at least).

So, it runs surprisingly well compared to, for instance, Bioshock from 2007 which I have to run in directX-9 mode and winXP compatability.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:36 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: oblivion GOTY deluxe, morrowind
Platform: pc, ps3(non TES gaming)
Khajiit *Nyao* wrote:
It works good, in fact I had it installed on 64bit Vista, and when I upgraded to 64bit 7, it actually worked better.

And to check what version you have, open the start menu, type in "System" then hit enter, wait until the program called System appears under the Control Panel category. Then click it and it will tell you.

this is very true, i had problems with 64bit vista as well, with 64bit 7 it runs perfectly, im running on ultra high with everything maxed out and ussely have 40+ fps suprisingly on a stock pc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:04 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY
Tom10320 wrote:
The one thing it took me a while to work out was to disable User Account Control, those messages that appear when you try to do anything.

Heh, it makes your computer safer apparently; its just a pain when you want to extract a mod from an archive and it just pops up, all smug...

On topic, I have 64bit Windows 7 and I have had no problems whatsoever. In fact, since i've made the transition from XP to 7, Oblivion hasn't actually crashed. At least, so far...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:05 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY
Platform: PC, PS3
I have been using Oblivion with Win7 64-bit for a few months now and its pretty much ok. I'm not sure if my laptop would run it better on XP but I'm happy with 7. I do get the odd random crash but its usually something to do with the 70+ mods I'm running and its only happened a couple of times with Vanilla.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:35 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion Collectors Edition, morrorwind soon :D
krisCrash wrote:
I use Win7 64bit, I do not have to use backwards compatibility but I DO have random crashes, generally if I've tabbed out too much and gone back in, then fast travel and kaboom.

Also definitely get FastExit2, or it will crash every time you close the game if it's run for more than 30 minutes (for me, at least).

I have a similar problem (of course I also run windows 7 64-bit)

Sometime my oblivion crashes reandomly too, not very often tho.

Also Oblivion ALWAYS crashes if i exit (even if i had it on only 1 min). I'll try out FastExit2, see if it helps.
Then Oblivion always crashes when i go to the main menu! (Exept on startup of course)

But otherwise it works just fine :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]