UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How should Paladin look like?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion (PC, Collector's + DLC + Shivering Isles), Oblivion GOTY (PS3, currently), Skyrim (PS3)
Platform: PC, PS3
UESPoints: 0
Title says it. I think about playing "the right side" warrior. Can you write your suggestions on character creation and what to use through game? (Armor, weapons, spells, what not to do - ie. Dark Brotherhood, Thieves; opening locked chests?)

I think character should be:

Fighter type

Strength + Endurance

Armorer, Blade, Block, Heavy Armor, Restoration + 2 more (maybe Alteration + 1 more)

I suppose he should wear steel armor (shiny :-) ) and steel sword, maybe two handed. And without helmet.

Play KotN through, ...

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: How should Paladin look like?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:57 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: X-box 360(post), PC
daedric armour is bad
avoid it like the plague
if you have Kotn then just wear the crusaders relics
no assaults or murders or thefts on you record
kill "bad" creatures as much as you can(necromancers,bandits etc)

Spoiler:
Made you look

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:32 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, Playstation 3
crusader is the way to go but i would also say Mithril as well because of its similar silver colour to steel but its light armour though....
i would say the Escutcheon of Chorrol for your shield but it look better with ebony armour
swords are harder to suggest because of personal preference,so i would enchant a sword but the crusader weapons are perfect!
use accessories that deflect magic because of the necromancers like Ring of the Vipereye or Mind and Ring
you might be able to do thieves guild...because of the robin hood vibe but do not d Body o DB!
do fighters guild but i wouldn't do the mages guild as you're going for a paladin type as you would only use restoration.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:51 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 500
If you want to do the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood questlines: do the first and then do the Knights of the Nine to get rid of your infamy. You can role-play that you were once an assassin but now want to fight evil.
By walking the pilgrimage you get rid your past and infamy and can start anew.
Now do KotN and then Shivering Isles, the Fighters Guild, the Arena, the Main Quest and the Mages Guild.

Main weapons: Fine Steel Longsword (you can find two of them at the Chorrol Fighters Guild building, enchant them to make them stronger), Crusader's Sword, Crusader's Mace
Armor: Crusader's Armor, Ebony (Umbra's) Armor, Imperial Dragon Armor, Blades Armor, Steel Armor in the beginning (if you have SI, you can get a few complete sets of Steel Armor by looting the party that is killed by the Gatekeeper)

Major skills: Heavy Armor, Blade, Block, Restoration, Alchemy (be warned that Alchemy can cause you to level up extremely quickly and thus making your character relatively weaker, so be careful) or Destruction, Armorer, Athletics or Blunt or Acrobatics

Race: Doesn't matter. A Nord, Imperial or Redguard makes a good crusader but an unusual crusader, like an Orc Crusader or Bosmer Crusader, can also be fun :D.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:51 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY
Platform: PS3
Full steel. No helmet and silver imperial watch shield

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:59 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

JamesF14 wrote:
Full steel. No helmet and silver imperial watch shield

where would you get the silver imperial shield?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:01 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY
Platform: PS3
Imperial palace district the guards have them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Which means you've got to kill one and that's tough :D

Try to kill one inside the palace. Use a deadly poison and hit him with a dagger for a x6 stealth attack. After the kill, get to Bravil ASAP and (if you're a member of the Thieves Guild) pay off your bounty.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:21 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

cool thanks for the tip! i always hoped that one palace guard would die during the last main quest line but they're too damn tough lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:45 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind
Umm, contradiction much? Paladins are good guys. They don't go around killing people for selfish reasons :wink:

A viking is just a horny pirate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Perhaps an Arrow of Immolation that does 65pts Fire Damage with a nice poison added to the mix will help him die a bit faster :D.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Brusef Amelion's armor set.

Also, it is fine for Paladins to kill in cold blood, so long as the person killed was evil. It's called 'purging the world of evil', and since Paladins are sorta fanatics, they can and will slay those they deem wicked with nary a thought.

Like Rufio. Who might or might not be a rapist, but sure wasn't GOOD.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:40 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion (PC, Collector's + DLC + Shivering Isles), Oblivion GOTY (PS3, currently), Skyrim (PS3)
I don't plan to do DB questline, maybe Thieves guild, but I don't know the "good" reason to play for them... We'll see.

I have to warn you though, I haven't played strictly RP yet.

I would go for KotN, relics would be the best armor (they can level up :-P ) until I get something good to enchant. Full Figter's guild, and part of Mage's guild (running on PS3=the only way to enchant).

I should take Alchemy as major, this isn't bad for Paladin.

I don't know the race yet, maybe Nord or Imperial (I don't like the others very much, although playing as Khajiit assasin or thief... ;-) )

I will inform you, if I'm pleased with my Paladin ;-)

Thanks for tips

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:08 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I would do some changes to my previous suggestions.

I would probably select Endurance and Luck for my main attributes and pick Thief birthsign (for its fortify 3 attributes, mainly Luck ;-) ).

I would say it would be Paladin, which must clean his name or which is member of Thieves guild (both possibilities for his Thief birthsign).

Do you think it is possible to play under the Thief birthsign as Paladin?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:37 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Sure. Pretend you're born under the Thief and quickly make progress in the Thieves Guild. After a while, your heart is redempted, and you receive a signal (think of something fun, your meeting with Jauffre, your first Oblivion Gate where you see all the destruction and evil... :D) that you should take up your task as a Paladin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:39 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

That's good ;-) I would have to change major skills (something between thief and "the good guy"). RP is sooooo hard :-D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:14 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: oblivion
Platform: ps3
Ebony armor w/ the Escutcheon of chorrol would be a great choice, maybe with the thornblade, or an enchanted ebony claymore? I'm working on a paladin sort of character now -- turning into more of a knight-wizard, since I'm using lots of conjuration as well, and I plan on using daedric stuff. Anyway, I'm using an Altmer, partly for the challenge, and party because he just looks so cool being 6 and a half feet tall. That could be a neat choice, if you're up for it, but be prepared to do quite a bit of strength and endurance training early on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:32 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thieves can be noble too. Pretend that you used to be in the TG, and got arrested before you could make it to a Doyen (which, for the record, may well be what happened, since the intro says nothing about any past of yours whatsoever). Meeting Emperor Uriel and talking to him changed your outlook somewhat - you simply can't give up your life of crime, it's too much a part of you, but now you try to do good deeds to somewhat balance out your misdeeds.

Remember, even the Divine Crusader himself, Pelinal Whitestrake, wasn't free from fault. He was often prey of violent berserk rages that would cause him to lash out at anyone and anything, friend or foe... And the Anvil Prophet, when you give him the response if you are head of the TG (ie, the Gray Fox), simply comments "An honest thief? I'll leave that for the priests of Zenithar to debate."

In fact, the Prophet dismisses even your being Listener of the DB - he only takes exception if you claim yourself a worthy knight, as a holy knight must be humble above all else and admit his faults first and foremost.

So yeah, the Thieves Guild is relatively compatible with a Paladin build. In no small part because the Thieves Guild does have a noble side to itself - they will never target the poor in any way, instead offering them protection, and they heavily frown on killing, even when there's due cause to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:16 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well said GenocideHeart. The Thieves Guild acts like Robin Hood, they steal from the rich (Hieronymus Lex) and give to the poor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:36 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

and the gray fox is basically a noble isn't he? and they don't condone killing either :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:32 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Josjie wrote:
Well said GenocideHeart. The Thieves Guild acts like Robin Hood, they steal from the rich (Hieronymus Lex) and give to the poor.

To be fair, Lex is not a bad person. He's simply very devoted to his role as one who upholds justice. S'Krivva does tell you that the Fox had Lex reassigned to Anvil because his loyalty to duty made him the perfect protector for the Countess - he'd just as soon die than fail to protect Countess Umbranox. Sure he was also a problem for the Guild, but the Fox had a good deal of respect for him, in spite of their rivalry.

Audens Avidius, now... people like him give the entire Watch a bad name. Same with Ulrich Leland.

Nocturnal wrote:
and the gray fox is basically a noble isn't he? and they don't condone killing either :D

Actually, a lot of nobles either condone killing or just don't care. Alessia Caro is one blatant example of the former - Count Marius is a good man, but his wife is a BAD influence on him.

And of course, Andel Indarys lets criminals and the Brotherhood run rampant in Cheydinhal without doing a thing to at least cull the Orum gang...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:51 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

IMO Hieronymus Lex is a bad person! He should treat everyone in the same way but he collects a lot of taxes in the Waterfront District which is unfair.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:59 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Armand Christophe himself admits that by law, the city COULD collect the taxes from the Waterfront. They do not do so by tradition, not by rule. Waterfront dwellers have been living tax-free due to that tradition. And while I do realize that they are very poor, they also are more or less all the eyes and ears of the Gray Fox. Frankly, Lex striking at the Fox through them makes sense - some governments use the same tactics to force enemy governments to capitulate without shedding blood.

And to be even more fair, Lex had plenty of proof (thanks to Myvryna Arano) that the Waterfront denizens were helping the Gray Fox. If he had really wanted to, he could have thrown the lot of them to rot in jail, but he only had beef with the two big ones - the Gray Fox and Armand. But he did understand that the Waterfront people were very poor, and left them mostly alone.

It's unlawful behavior that Lex detests, not the Waterfront per se. Hell, he regularly eats at the Bloated Float, even though he could afford less seedy places.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Quote:
Armand will inform you that Hieronymus Lex has recently collected taxes from the poor residents of the Waterfront District, seemingly as both a warning and punishment for them being complicit in assisting the Gray Fox.

So the poor suffer due to the actions of the Gray Fox. Instead of tracking down the Gray Fox himself, Hieronymus Lex uses the poor as both a warning and punishment.

GenocideHeart wrote:
If he had really wanted to, he could have thrown the lot of them to rot in jail,

I don't think he has such power and not all the other guards/IC citizens will agree with him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:15 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

He had enough power to pull every City Watch soldier from duty all over the city. Since Chancellor Ocato is too busy playing Emperor in an empty chamber, Lex is pretty much the highest authority in the Watch, especially since Adamus Phillida is retiring.

Moreover, helping a notorious thief hide is a crime in itself even in the real world. Simply put, what Lex did was entirely within his rights, since the Waterfront citizens were not abiding by the law by protecting the Thieves' Guild's master's existence.

Go read any books on legal right. They will all confirm to you that protecting a criminal makes you guilty by association. As much as I'd like to say otherwise, the Waterfront's people are guilty as sin.

By the way, a tidbit. Check the tax collection list. Note a certain name ofn it.

It seems that Mankar Camoran's own son, Raven, is a Waterfront citizen, as he had his taxes collected. :mrgreen:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next