Switch to full style
A place to discuss and ask questions about the fourth part of The Elder Scrolls series and its expansions
Topic locked

Oblivion -- Ps3 performance issues

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Hello all,

I started working on oblivion this summer, and came back to it just recently after a bit of a hiatus. All of a sudden, my game is having a few performance issues that hadn't been a problem. Attack animations are choppy, especially from first person. In particular, it's reatlly easy to notice for the unsheathing weapon action. Scrolling through menus was about half as fast. Then, the most interesting symptom -- whenever I open a display case, the contents shoot out and go flying across the room. Pretty funny, eh?

I had kind of gotten tired of my character anyway, so I decided to uninstall the game from the PS3, reinstall it, and start over. However, I'm still having the same sorts of issues. The choppiness isn't as bad, and the menus are working better, but display cases -- verified by an early visit to a Mage's guild -- still seem to be rigged with catapults. Anybody have experiences like this? Helpful advice?

If it helps any, I don't really have much data on the ps3 -- about two dozen save files from Metal Gear Solid 4, two internal memory cards worth of PS1 games, and that's about it, so I can't imagine that my hard drive is clogged up already. Before all of this happened, my game ran pretty well. I would crash very occasionally, but it was never a big deal.

Oh, and as a side note, my new character is a high elf battlemage/knight sort of project. It's gonna be interesting.

thanks a bunch,
--stst

Re: Oblivion -- Ps3 performance issues

Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 am

hey mate! I had similar issues on the ps3 also when i initially bought GOTY edition! I swapped it for another disk and it worked fine so maybe you could borrow one off someone to try! If it still doesnt work then maybe its your ps3? Are you also experiencing slow loading times?

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:10 pm

Slow load times? Not really, and it ran MGS4 just fine, and I think that's probably at least as much of a strain on the system, so I kinda doubt it's that. Did it screw with lock picking too? When I pick locks, the pick moves really slowly and shakes.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:20 am

As GodWarner says, perhaps there's a problem with your Oblivion disc. Have you tried cleaning it and have you looked for scratches? Try to borrow an Oblivion disc from a friend or hire one from a local gamestore and see if it works.

Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 am

Josjie wrote:As GodWarner says, perhaps there's a problem with your Oblivion disc. Have you tried cleaning it and have you looked for scratches? Try to borrow an Oblivion disc from a friend or hire one from a local gamestore and see if it works.

Ditto! When i traded in the vanilla version for the GOTY i had real issues but once i got a new disk it worked fine so give it a shot!

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:06 am

Hey -- Thanks for the advice. I cleaned the disc off a bunch, and it's working fine now. Normal lock picking, smooth first person animations, and display cases -- now with gravity!!

My character build though, not so much -- he's leveling up way too fast. I'm gonna go back to my save file just before leaving the imperial sewers and take another shot. I suspect there will be much time spent punching out my own summoned ghosts in the future.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:49 am

That's good to hear :D.

Just focus on your Endurance stat. That's the most important thing to remember. Go to a trainer (for example: Rohssan at the Fighting Chance) and let her train your Armorer skill.
Find a weak enemy (like a Rat) or go the Arena, lower your difficulty (otherwise you'll die very quickly :D) and let them hit you to train your Heavy Armor and Block skills. Make sure to wear Heavy Armor :lol: and block with your shield. Do this at every level-up and you can put +2, +3, +4 or perhaps even +5 points in Endurance when you level up.

The higher your Endurance, the higher your Health and the stronger you are.

Also focus on raising your minor skills instead of your majors. If you only level your major skills you can become relatively weaker for your minor skills are still at level 5-20.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Just hit level 7 last night, strength at 72, endurance at 75, willpower at 60, intelligence at 64. I think two or maybe three more levels or really intense training that that should do it. He looks really classy, too -- long auburn hair in a rogue knot, red silk robes, steel shield and a silver longsword. (with a full set of steel armor as a backup) I'm excited about how cool he'll be with daedric weapons and summoning Xivalis left and right. :-)

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:51 pm

stst wrote:Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Just hit level 7 last night, strength at 72, endurance at 75, willpower at 60, intelligence at 64. I think two or maybe three more levels or really intense training that that should do it. He looks really classy, too -- long auburn hair in a rogue knot, red silk robes, steel shield and a silver longsword. (with a full set of steel armor as a backup) I'm excited about how cool he'll be with daedric weapons and summoning Xivalis left and right. :-)

72 Strength and 75 Endurance at level 7 is something to be proud of :D. Good job ;).
Be warned though: if you grind too much to get high bonuses at every level-up, it might ruin the game for you. Always remember that the most important thing is to have fun. Efficient levelling can make your character very powerful but in the end you don't need those extra attribute points and it's more important to enjoy the game.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Oh, don't worry, I'm having fun. Like I said, i think I'll grind for serious bonuses this level and maybe next,and then I'll just start doing stuff normally. I really enjoy the game -- it's great to have something that has absolutely nothing to do with my day job. I'm a graduate student in music performance, and after spending 8 hours in a day sitting in rehearsals and practicing, it's really quite enjoyable to go and beat up on some trolls.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:28 pm

Just make sure that it doesn't turn into just one more level of grinding, because then you'll be even better, and then you'll play naturally. And then just one more. Maybe one more after that, and just one more after that, etc etc you get the idea.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:27 pm

Yeah, for sure. Actually, I think because of the responses I'm getting, I think I've got a solid enough foundation to just go ahead and go.
Topic locked