UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dementia Vs Mania
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:22 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Hey, so i just started the shivering isles today, and im wondering are there any real differences to gaining the favor of mania or dementia?

If so, what are they and if not, which ones do you guys prefer anyways :D

Post subject: Re: Dementia Vs Mania
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:26 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind (not really), Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: Too many to list here.
UESPoints: 0
Siding with one or the other changes the order that you get certain items and greater powers in. I personally prefer Dementia.

Spoiler:
The Muddy Swampert of the Poké-Squad.
The Smart Guy of the Troper Team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:50 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
When I first pass the gates, I choose to enter in the Dementia side. It's not that the Blessing of Dementia (a Demoralize spell) is any better than the Blessing of Mania (a Frenzy one), but you'll earn a Frenzy spell as reward in one of the quests you'll find in the Shivering Isles. Little point in having two of the same spell, really.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:32 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: In order: Arena (PC, completed, Dec 2008), Oblivion GOTY (X360, 100% completed except investments, Feb-July 2009), Daggerfall (PC, completed, Dec 2009), Morrowind GOTY (X360, 100%, mar-jun 2010) and soon enough - SKYRIM!
Platform: Xbox 360, DosBox
The most important thing regarding this selection is that if you want the Golden Saint armor (Heavy armor), you want to become the Duke of Dementia. If you want the Dark Seducer armor, you want to become the Duke of Mania. You can NOT get both armors on the same character.

And also:

uesp wiki wrote:
Your choice at this point has several implications, although either choice allows you to complete the Main Quest:

The Ring of Lordship you receive as duke or duchess has different enchantments for the Mania and Dementia versions.
During the course of the Main Quest you will gain the power to summon both Golden Saints and Dark Seducers. Your choice, however, will determine just when you will receive each power and the duration of the summon. You will be able to summon a Daedra aligned with your Duchy for 60 seconds when you become Duke/Duchess; after The Helpless Army you will be able to summon the other Daedra for 120 seconds.
The unique item you get to loot from your dead predecessor is different. Syl is carrying Nerveshatter, whereas Thadon is wearing the Diadem of Euphoria. However, you will subsequently be able to acquire the other item during The Roots of Madness quest.
The forces defending the Fringe during Retaking The Fringe will be different: Golden Saints for the Duke/Duchess of Mania or Dark Seducers for the Duke/Duchess of Dementia.
The Daedra under attack during The Helpless Army will be different: for the Duke/Duchess of Mania, you help the Dark Seducers at Pinnacle Rock; for the Duke/Duchess of Dementia, you help the Golden Saints at Brellach. The Daedra you help will then reward you with a suit of their armor: Golden Saint Heavy Armor or Dark Seducer Light Armor.
The final opponent during The Roots of Madness will be different: it will be whichever of Syl or Thadon you previously left alive, and you will now get to obtain their unique item.
You will receive full access to your respective House, Mania or Dementia, once you are granted Lordship.

So the side you choose in the Ritual of Accession quest does matter.

Other than that quest, you also pick side in The Cold Flame of Agnon quest, but it doesn't matter which side you choose in the ruins; the Dark Seducers will always be the defending team. But later on, when you're supposed to choose a side to light the Flame in New Sheoth, you'll gain different rewards depending on which side. Yet again, you can't get both rewards.

And also in the beginning of the game, you choose which gate to enter. The only thing that is affected by your choice is which spell you get. Nothing else.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SwedishBerzerker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:42 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them (ESO is not ES)
Platform: PC
(Note: This is about the 3rd or 4th Mania Vs Dementia thread I've seen in my whole membership.)
Mania, Demoralize is useless, but when I get light myself on fire, I prefer to do the Dark Seducer fort, so I can summon Dark Seducers, then later on I'll get the longer lasting summon Golden Saint.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:40 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
UESPoints: 500
This choice has always been an easy one for me.
Evil character -> Dementia
Good character -> Mania

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:31 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: In order: Arena (PC, completed, Dec 2008), Oblivion GOTY (X360, 100% completed except investments, Feb-July 2009), Daggerfall (PC, completed, Dec 2009), Morrowind GOTY (X360, 100%, mar-jun 2010) and soon enough - SKYRIM!
Kestral wrote:
(Note: This is about the 3rd or 4th Mania Vs Dementia thread I've seen in my whole membership.)

Yeah, me too. When I started SI a couple of months ago I searched the forums for that question, and found results. Maybe the moderators will have to be a bit more strict, and not tolerate all these "look here"- and "please answer"-titled threads, not that it applies to this one. But one thing that does is that very few people actually seem to search for the answer before making a new thread. Instead you should first look on the wiki, then forums and if you can't find the answer, go ahead.

Josjie wrote:
This choice has always been an easy one for me.
Evil character -> Dementia
Good character -> Mania

Yeah, but keep in mind Mania isn't necessarily "good", since you still have to e.g. kill the
Spoiler:
Duke of Mania

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:33 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
UESPoints: 500
SwedishBerzeker wrote:
Yeah, but keep in mind Mania isn't necessarily "good", since you still have to e.g. kill the ....

Spoiler:
UESP wrote:
Thadon is a frequent user of mind altering drugs.

Which is a crime ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:49 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Josjie wrote:
SwedishBerzeker wrote:
Yeah, but keep in mind Mania isn't necessarily "good", since you still have to e.g. kill the ....

Spoiler:
UESP wrote:

Which is a crime ;)

Ya got me :lol:

But it's still murdering for (relatively) petty crime, so Mania would be more like Dexter (not quite though).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind (not really), Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: Too many to list here.
Josjie wrote:
SwedishBerzeker wrote:

Spoiler:
UESP wrote:

Which is a crime ;)

Only if Sheogorath says it is.

Spoiler:
The Muddy Swampert of the Poké-Squad.
The Smart Guy of the Troper Team.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]