UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Items disappearing in containers....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:03 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Firstly, these have always been containers in my own houses. So far I have noticed this in Skingrad (for which I didn't buy all the upgrades) and now also in Bravil (for which I have all the house upgrades, such as they are!).

I tend to keep things in a container in one of the local guilds until I buy a house and move in, or just move on to another town. So far I don't appear to have had any probs with loosing things in these containers, provided I keep chk'in back within 3 days.

However when I put items into the containers in my house, sometimes they are simply disappearing. For instance, I just put 5 full sets of Elven armour into the chest in the storage cupboard in the Bravil house (which had less than a dozen items in it so far), and then chk'd they were there, and none of them were. They weren't in my inventory or in the chest. Tried closing the chest and reopening and still no sign of them anywhere. No probs to go back to the Autosave from when I entered the house, but since this has happened on 4 sep occasions now that I've noticed, I'm starting to get abit paranoid about what I'm loosing and not even noticing. (I guess if I don't notice it's prob not something that I really need though.)

Has anyone else heard of this or had this prob? Though I have seen lots of other bugs mentioned both here and in the wiki, none of them have ever been a prob for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:43 pm 
Associate
Associate

Oh Snap, I hope this doesn't happen in my house... Though I haven't really stored much of anything in containers in it yet. In my previous game, I had Benirus Manor, and kept things in containers in it with no problems. I even took a piece of painted troll fat and stuck it in each container, so that I would know if it had respawned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:14 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh Snap is right, I hope this is an isolated problem! So far I haven't noticed anything amiss but then again, I haven't needed to go back to my stash for any good reason yet.

Could it possibly be a problem related to saving your game then reloading a previous save before you had stored them? Sometimes I lose track of what I have accomplished when I decide to dump the progress I have made (I tend to get into a bit of mischief).

GM

GrayMouser

Post subject: Hmm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:18 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 0
I don't trust cupboards.

Post subject: Re: Hmm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

i9ub wrote:
I don't trust cupboards.

Holy sh-t, Glathir is in our forum!!

BTW, I got back at that knucklehead last night (meaning I didn't handle this quest very well the first time I played it). One touch of rage spell and the very people in town that he was afraid of ganged up on him and put him out of his misery. Talk about a self fulfilling prophesy! hahaha

GM

GrayMouser

Post subject: Hmm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:29 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

A fitting death if I do say so myself. Any when I say "I don't trust cupboards", what I mean is that I only like storing things in chests. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I know the feeling, I don't trust cupboards anymore either!

Well the worrying thing is that I've only ever noticed it by chance. It's been when I've been putting lots of things away at once, though does seem to be able to happen with the first thing I put away as well.

But I've since tried going back a few saves, and it seems that it's happening randomly in every cupboard in my Bravil house. I have been trying a few things out this avo, and one time I put all my potions in the cupboard to the right of the fireplace, chk'd straight after and Mother Hubbard, the cupboard was bare!!

When I first noticed it, I was putting things in my "sell off" cupboard in Skingrad, and then decided that I wanted to keep the item I'd just clicked on to deposit, so clicked on the cupboards inventory tab (w/o having closed the cupboard in between), and it wasn't there.

Had only noticed it happen twice in Skin., once I first noticed it, I was more careful (the cupboards were pretty laden there). Each time just going back to the Autosave from when I entered the house sorted it out.

But this Bravil house has just turned into a nightmare. Will try going back and repurchasing the house and contents to see if it helps, but had done quite alot of trekking about since getting the house. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:33 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

i9ub wrote:
Any when I say "I don't trust cupboards", what I mean is that I only like storing things in chests. 8)

I've had the prob in cupboards, chests and draws so far......

Only ever in my own houses that I've noticed though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:43 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

GrayMouser wrote:
i9ub wrote:
I don't trust cupboards.

Holy sh-t, Glathir is in our forum!!

:lol:

Sounds more like a follower of Sheogorath :)

People sang before long
They had enough of his full crescent moons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:23 pm 
Associate
Associate

I have the same problems. I mainly used the chests in Anvil, the imperial city and in white stallion lodge.

At begin all chests worked well, then Anvil got buggy first. I showed all items to the imperial city then but now this chest is buggy too.

It might have started with trying to put enchanted weapons in the chest (sigil stone) but that may be a coincidence. Now it seems to affect also standard stuff. I was not able to lay my finger upon the problem yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

I guess if I have anything really important I'll throw it on the floor.

I thought someone, maybe Vook, said on another thread that things will start getting deleted if you put too much in one container.

Any idea of what the limit is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:55 pm 
i think it's a counting bug. for me, putting more items into the container will make earlier items re-appear ... eventually at least. but the number of hidden items just keep increasing.

i first noticed the problem after i put in multiple numbers of the same item (some kind of glass armor i think). but then it could also be random. at least i've never seen reward items and unique items hide themselves this way, so the most important stuffs should still be accessible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:00 pm 
I've had completly normal (iron, silver, glass) items go missing when that was all that I was putting into the container, and some "special" items as well (eg gauntlets of glutony). I tried quite a few combos today (including going back to older saves) and there didn't seem to be any pattern.

When it first happened in Skingrad, the containers did have an awful lot of stuff in them (was saving up for a big garage sale when I wanted to level up my Merchantile), and it was only ever two items that I noticed there, but in the Bravil house I had only put a few ingredients in one of the other cupboards, and it started happening with completly empty containers, or with just a few things in. And it's happening with over half of anything I deposit in the Bravil house, so I think it's just time to lock up house and move on to a new town.....

It seems that the only way out is if it's a special item that you want to make sure you have, save before you use a container.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:56 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Anonymous wrote:
It seems that the only way out is if it's a special item that you want to make sure you have, save before you use a container.
You could always buy one house designated for storage and just throw all your stuff on the floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:22 pm 
Associate
Associate

Funny thing is - I believe the items are still there.

Try to use the "take all" button - that should "reappear" things back in your inventory. At least I had this experience.

Not that bad after all if this can be confirmed.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:37 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yep, "Take all" works a charm!

Thanks for that Oblivia, I'll downgrade it to just being a pain in the bum rather than a "call the cavalry out" disaster!

Think I'd better have my garage sale sooner rather than later in the hopes that it might help if I horded less as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:04 am 
by unique items, i mean items that only 1 copy exist.
"gauntlets of glutony" is just a developer made enhanted item that you could obtain multiple copies.

i believe it is a counting problem cuz it seems to happen when multiple copies of the same item is put into a container. I haven't tried take all yet, but if it works it kinda prove my point. more specificly, it's a counting problem in the display menu routine. Somehow the program thinks that it has already listed all the items, so that the items are still there, only it's not shown in the menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

If I throw an item in my own house, do they reset after sometime? a month or more, maybe?

I put a sigil stone in my chest last week.... i think ill move it to the cellar....for now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Everything that you deposit in your house, whether it be just dropped on the floor, or placed in any of the containers, should remain there for any length of time, until you take it again.

The issue with the disappearing items appears to be more a case of them turning invisible in the container inventory, rather than being lost. After Oblivia's suggestion, I tried "take all" on one chest, and I did get all the missing items back.

Of course with a sigil stone, you could always just use it for decoration and put it on top of a set of drawers or something, if you didn't want to use it yet.... My dreary Bravil house looks abit brighter with a few Welkynd stones, silver table settings, and some nice glass weapons scattered about.

Skill books that I have but don't want to use yet, I usually put on a bookcase in one of my houses, more obvious, less easy to loose them amongst other books I will sell off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:27 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I never store many things in one container as I have seen the problem with disappearing items. In my Anvil home I keep clothes and armour in the bedroom cupboard, weapons in the dresser and helmets on top of it. I miss a jewelry box and a small bedside table for a shining stone and my favourite book.

In the study desk I keep papers and keys that I don't want to sell or throw away. The chest are for potions and poisons. I store all my ingredients in the various containers in the cellar and have long potion making sessions there. Then I keep my ready made potions/poisons in the study.

In the dining room cupboard I keep bread and the meat goes in the kitchen. Welkynd and Varla stones are kept in the living-room and the cupboard there is my fine wine storage. It's nice to have a home. Planters are everywhere and the boring clay and pewter pots are replaced by fine silverware.

Post subject: Workaround for disappearing container items
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:30 am 
Hi folks,

encountered this problem with chests in the mage tower addin as well. I have a work-around that has been consistent so far. Before I look in a container that I havehad problems with previously, I F5 then F9 (PC quicksave, quickload). The container then displays all the contents correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:59 am 
I definitely had the same problem! I lost Volendrung a minute after i placed it in a chest on the 2nd floor of rosethorn (skingrad house)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:02 am 
Associate
Associate

great find anon - seems to work for me too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:45 pm 
Oblivia wrote:
great find anon - seems to work for me too :)

Glad it has helped, bit less buggering about than 'take all'.

Let me know if it consistent for yourself as well please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:58 am 
Associate
Associate

so far F5 - F9 solved the problem with the chests consistently.

Thanks again anon.

Thanks also to weka for the credits and bringing it up in the first place

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next