UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Safe containers in Morrowind?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:14 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

i used the balmora house mod. it's modest, well placed and works well. i used mannequins for different armour and weapon types. books on the bookshelf. installed a furniture mod and got a few small chests. put keys in one, misc notes in another. organised spells, potions, alchemy ingredients, filled soul gems, misc magic items, misc weapson all in seperate containers. basically my house had hundreds of items but i knew exactly where each one was and could fetch anything immediately. by using containers it didn't get cluttered or slow down the fps. set mark inside it and rarely marked another location. this had the advantage that my character could carry many times more than he was able to, recall back to the house, dump stuff on the floor and sell it in several easy trips to the retailers without having to buff strength too heavily

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Arena,
Platform: PC, Xbox,
UESPoints: 0
alowe wrote:
i used the balmora house mod. it's modest, well placed and works well. i used mannequins for different armour and weapon types. books on the bookshelf. installed a furniture mod and got a few small chests. put keys in one, misc notes in another. organised spells, potions, alchemy ingredients, filled soul gems, misc magic items, misc weapson all in seperate containers. basically my house had hundreds of items but i knew exactly where each one was and could fetch anything immediately. by using containers it didn't get cluttered or slow down the fps. set mark inside it and rarely marked another location. this had the advantage that my character could carry many times more than he was able to, recall back to the house, dump stuff on the floor and sell it in several easy trips to the retailers without having to buff strength too heavily

What if your character is mod-free or you're on console? I suggest going into a random house in Caldera, slaying the owner, and throwing your crap on the floor. Putting it on tables works too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:05 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

5tealthh wrote:
alowe wrote:
i used the balmora house mod...

What if your character is mod-free or you're on console? I suggest going into a random house in Caldera, slaying the owner, and throwing your crap on the floor. Putting it on tables works too.

there's a house in balmora that has a perminant body on the floor. it's a Hlaalu counsellor that got murdered or something. since the body can't be removed it works as a perminent container with no size limit. the problem i found with other containers is that putting an item in and then taking it out can make it become stolen even though it's yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm always just vaguely amazed by the 'just kill somebody' problem solving. I play Morrowind cuz I want to be the hero that *SAVES* the world dammit!!!

It's not like there aren't enough bandits out there attacking me just cuz I said 'Hi' - {G}.

I suppose I should ask just on general principles, Are the stronghold chests safe? Since I'm using the house Telvanni stronghold now. Oh, and is there any easier way to get the overflow bags than dropping 1025 gp on the floor?

Thanks - Jonnan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them (ESO is not ES)
Platform: PC
I'm not sure, but perhaps you can use a place that already has a lot of items, such as a library, and abuse that fact.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:27 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Jonnan wrote:
I'm always just vaguely amazed by the 'just kill somebody' problem solving. I play Morrowind cuz I want to be the hero that *SAVES* the world &@%!!!!

I am amazed as well. As I said earlier there is no way of knowing who you are going to need later in the game (unless you have played several times before or look it up) and killing a random person usually means that the poster comes back here crying because they cant finish a quest line. The game won't tell you that something has gone wrong (except for some NPCs in the main quest - but not all).

Quote:
I suppose I should ask just on general principles, Are the stronghold chests safe? Since I'm using the house Telvanni stronghold now. Oh, and is there any easier way to get the overflow bags than dropping 1025 gp on the floor?

The chests in the strongholds are safe - certainly in the main part of the stronghold as they are faction owned and you are a member of that faction. Tel Uvirith doesn't have many chests. :) Just be careful with containers in the NPC houses around it as there are one or two that are owned by them.

You are obviously on pc so the bad news is that it doesn't seem that the loot bag spawns on it, only on XBox. Whichever you are playing on you need to drop individual items to get it, anything that stacks will count as one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:52 am 
Novice
Novice

Rohugh wrote:
Jonnan wrote:
I'm always just vaguely amazed by the 'just kill somebody' problem solving. I play Morrowind cuz I want to be the hero that *SAVES* the world &@%!!!!

I am amazed as well. As I said earlier there is no way of knowing who you are going to need later in the game (unless you have played several times before or look it up) and killing a random person usually means that the poster comes back here crying because they cant finish a quest line. The game won't tell you that something has gone wrong (except for some NPCs in the main quest - but not all).

Quote:

The chests in the strongholds are safe - certainly in the main part of the stronghold as they are faction owned and you are a member of that faction. Tel Uvirith doesn't have many chests. :) Just be careful with containers in the NPC houses around it as there are one or two that are owned by them.

You are obviously on pc so the bad news is that it doesn't seem that the loot bag spawns on it, only on XBox. Whichever you are playing on you need to drop individual items to get it, anything that stacks will count as one.

Urgh - that doth sucketh - I was rather looking forward to having someplace to store random BS. One of the thing I *do* like about Oblivion is that storage space is so much easier with real bookshelves and whatnot. But I certainly don't have 1024+ non-stacking items to drop.

Ah Well - thanks for the info - Jonnan.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:01 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: morrowind
Platform: xbox
Rohugh wrote:
There are no resetting containers in Morrowind. If you put an item in a container it will be still there when you come take it out.

However, there are many containers that are owned by NPCs, and if you put items in them, when you remover those items they will change their ownership to that of the containers owner thus they will be considered stolen items. Get arrested and they will be confiscated.
Sometimes if the house owner is killed the containers become safe to use but it is by no means the norm. It is best to ask about a specific house/containers you wish to use and the answer can be given as to their safety.

Galbedir's desk is not owned so you can add/remove items from it without problems, BUT the soul gems on it are owned by her. This gives some problems. You can never go to her for enchanting with that type of soul gem in your inventory (no matter where you got it from) as she will know, attack you and the rest of the guild will join in. If you get arrested again you will loose all of that type of soul gems you have in your inventory.

You can own houses, you can get a stronghold from a House quest, and you can get three places on Solstheim whilst doing quests there.

Actually, i had a Daedric Staff and I put it into a crate in Chorak Manor and it Dissapeared. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

i've never had an item disappear on me (unless they fell through an object), but i never stored anything outside of my house. since no one else has any business there and none of the containers are owned by anyone else the items shouldn't ever disappear. on xbox the same should be true of containers that aren't owned, or even just the ground itself (since it isn't owned either).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:59 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion
Resurrecting this yet again to mention that both the Starting Out and Death of a Taxman pages on the UESP wiki mention that the containers in Foryn Gilnith's shack are safe to use after he is killed, but posts in this thread say otherwise. Which information is correct?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

HunterZ wrote:
Resurrecting this yet again to mention that both the Starting Out and Death of a Taxman pages on the UESP wiki mention that the containers in Foryn Gilnith's shack are safe to use after he is killed, but posts in this thread say otherwise. Which information is correct?

Thanks.

I am if I posted prior(didn't check). :D They are not safe, they will still change the ownership after he is dead.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:35 pm 
Layman
Layman

Rohugh wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Thanks.

I am if I posted prior(didn't check). :D They are not safe, they will still change the ownership after he is dead.

Yes, I believe it was you that posted earlier in the thread saying that they are indeed not safe. I guess someone should fix those articles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:36 pm 
Layman
Layman

HunterZ wrote:
Rohugh wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, I believe it was you that posted earlier in the thread saying that they are indeed not safe. I guess someone should fix those articles.

Wow this really stinks. I just started playing Morrowind for the first time and used Foryn Gilniths shack to store all my stuff based on the wiki. This is the first time the wiki has let me down. Is there any way to remove the ownership from those containers or the objects I put in them? I used the 'tfh' to double check and sure enough the containers are owned.

EDIT - Ok so I guess I thought it was more like Oblivion. Am I correct that the owner doesn't matter at all because I'm never going to need to sell my stuff to a dead guy? Is that the only thing it effects?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:53 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: TES II-III-IV-V
1. Get the stronghold... Yeah.
2. For newbie characters, St. Delyn waist north two.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 pm 
Layman
Layman

Been thinking of installing the Balmora Balconyhouse mod and not using/touching any of the stuff inside other than the containers and bed to minimize "cheating", but it'd be nice to have some non-"cheating" ideas. Are dungeon containers safe after they've been looted?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:51 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

HunterZ wrote:
Are dungeon containers safe after they've been looted?

Yes (in general). The containers are safe before they have been looted as well. :)

Many dungeons/bandit lairs have respawning containers - it depends on the level the PC is when they are first opened, but they are not owned. As soon as you remove or add an item to that container it stops respawning, so they are safe to use.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:32 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyri
Platform: Xbox, PC for daggerfall, PS3 skyrim,
The abandoned shack near gnarr mok is safe, not sure if anyone mentioned this. I always use that house, put my books and helms on the desk and keep everything else in containers. I command vivic and bring him there then recall awaybto break the bond. When I come back he's always floating Indian style on the dock :) that's one of my favorite things to do in morrowind.

And also, the glitch people were talking about with stealing glabadier's (sp?) stuff then not being able to use him is true (In my game at least) after raiding his desk I can never get him to enchant or barter without attacking, even if nothing of his is in my inventory. It's ok though, there are better enchanters out there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:11 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: All of the Elder Scrolls series.
Platform: PC and Xbox
yagelazy wrote:
The abandoned shack near gnarr mok is safe, not sure if anyone mentioned this. I always use that house, put my books and helms on the desk and keep everything else in containers. I command vivic and bring him there then recall awaybto break the bond. When I come back he's always floating Indian style on the dock :) that's one of my favorite things to do in morrowind.

And also, the glitch people were talking about with stealing glabadier's (sp?) stuff then not being able to use him is true (In my game at least) after raiding his desk I can never get him to enchant or barter without attacking, even if nothing of his is in my inventory. It's ok though, there are better enchanters out there.

Your Vivec idea there is amazing, I find the abandon shack to be one of the most tranquil little homes you can have without mods or the whole ownership dilemma. To have that bald guy meditating on the dock would just look awesome... actually could you screenshot that and send me the picture I am really curious.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:19 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I play on xbox but I'll try and take s picture and upload it. I'll PM it to you when I get it up

Edit: this is a hobby of mine. Taking NPCs and moving them around. I have vivec at my house, I brought divyth fyr to dresles house of eartly delights and I did the bound throwing star trick to get umbra sword and his helm, curiass, and pauldrons (leaving him shirtless) and brought him the end of the world in Dagon fel. I like to make up my own back stories as to why they're there and all. Keeps things interesting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:39 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv163/yagelazy/morrowind/185604_638283148788_49704367_34883604_6558490_n.jpg

now on the wiki pages it says that you CANNOT i repeat CANNOT permenantly command vivec. this is wrong. you absolutly can. i play on xbox and got him here by casting a permenant command creature spell on him in the temple. first try worked, he followed me out the temple to the foreign quarter dock (outside the canton). from there we caught a boat to hla oad (yes he followed me on the boat and continued to follow after we got off) and immediatly took a boat to gnarr mok (same thing, kept following) when we got to the abandoned shack i simply cast mark, divined intervention to fort buckmoth (severing the tie between me and vivec) then recalled right back. since vivic doesnt have a move script on him, he will stay wherever you position him and alternate between standing and floating.

Last edited by Dean on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please link to pictures, it helps those with slower internet connections.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY
That's a neat trick you got there, nice find. :P Thought Vivec would be a bit to powerful to control in all honesty.

Gotta ask you keep on topic though from now on though. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:00 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yes I'm sorry for getting off topic. I'll post this in new thread, I think people would be interested in it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next