UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problem Running Morrowind on Windows 8
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:24 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3
Other Profiles: Ape_Insurgent
UESPoints: 0
I bought and installed Morrowind GOTY recently and have been having the same problem everytime I try to start it up. As soon as it starts loading it crashes and says: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library (title of error), Runtime Error! Program C:/Program... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way". I've already unistalled and reinstalled it and installed a new java update, but the problem persists. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? My PC's OS is Windows 8.1, 64-bit, btw.
Thx

Post subject: Re: Problem Running Morrowind on Windows 8
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:59 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: PC
Hey man, I'm actually running into the SAME exact problem...

I'm gonna give this a bump in hopes of someone who has previously ran into this problem before, may bless us with their divine knowledge as to how to fix it.

May Talos smile upon you

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 am 
Layman
Layman

haha thx dude, if I eventually find a solution I'll post it here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:19 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

UESPoints: 4
Have you tried installing other versions of Microsoft Visual C++?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:29 pm 
Champion
Champion

Try to install it into a different folder than C:\Program Files (x86). As far as I know, Morrowind has some issues when it's in that folder. Try C:\Morrowind instead. Additionally, I run Morrowind as Administrator in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3) with disabled visual themes. I hope Windows 8.1 isn't that much different to Windows 7 in that regard.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:37 pm 
Layman
Layman

AddictedtoMorrowind wrote:
Have you tried installing other versions of Microsoft Visual C++?

I already tried that and it didn't work. The one I installed was one I found in some forums (I think it was a 2008 version) that had apparently worked for some people.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:37 pm 
Layman
Layman

Belthazor wrote:
Try to install it into a different folder than C:\Program Files (x86). As far as I know, Morrowind has some issues when it's in that folder. Try C:\Morrowind instead. Additionally, I run Morrowind as Administrator in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3) with disabled visual themes. I hope Windows 8.1 isn't that much different to Windows 7 in that regard.

How do I install it into C:\Morrowind? I bought and downloaded it from the Gamestop PC app and so everytime I click install it doesn't give me the option of where exactly I want to install it. Instead it automatically installs it to Local Disk (C:) program files (x86). Sorry, I'm pathetic when it comes to computers, lol. As far as the additional information you gave me, I would have no idea of how to do that XD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:49 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

You could probably copy and paste the whole Morrowind folder into the Local Disk. I'm not sure if that actually works, but it's worth giving a try.
Also, to change how you run the game, right click the application or launcher or whatever you click on the start the game and click "Properties" and go to the Compatibility tab. There it should give you some options on how to run the application.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:49 pm 
Layman
Layman

You could probably copy and paste the whole Morrowind folder into the Local Disk. I'm not sure if that actually works, but it's worth giving a try.
Also, to change how you run the game, right click the application or launcher or whatever you click on the start the game and click "Properties" and go to the Compatibility tab. There it should give you some options on how to run the application.

I copied and pasted it to Local Disk and that didn't work. So then I tried running it as administrator, (with the newly copied and pasted version in the local disk) with Windows XP service pack 3, then 2, and lastly windows 8 for the hell of it and again none of those worked.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:03 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Maybe you could try running the compatibility troubleshooter located in the Compatibility tab of the Properties of the Application?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:16 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Skyrim
Ape_Insurgent wrote:

I copied and pasted it to Local Disk and that didn't work. So then I tried running it as administrator, (with the newly copied and pasted version in the local disk) with Windows XP service pack 3, then 2, and lastly windows 8 for the hell of it and again none of those worked.

I'm sorry, but the more I read the steps you've taken, the more i laugh because I've done the SAME exact things you have.

I pray we find a solution.

Another Bump to keep this hot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:37 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Yes
Make sure you've installed this version of Visual C++.

Also, make sure you've completely uninstalled Morrowind, then reinstall. You should be prompted to choose the install directory - just make it C:\Morrowind. Simply copying your old Morrowind directory from Program Files (x86) might not work. Due to permissions issues with Windows 8, I actually wouldn't suggest installing anything to Program Files (x86) in the future.

If all else fails you may want to consider disabling UAC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:56 am 
Layman
Layman

Demiverse wrote:
Make sure you've installed this version[/url] of Visual C++.

Also, make sure you've completely uninstalled Morrowind, then reinstall. You should be prompted to choose the install directory - just make it C:\Morrowind. Simply copying your old Morrowind directory from Program Files (x86) might not work. Due to permissions issues with Windows 8, I actually wouldn't suggest installing anything to Program Files (x86) in the future.

If all else fails you may want to consider disabling UAC[/url].

Thanks, I'm gonna try this out. The only problem I see is that this stupid Gamestop app does not give you the option of where you want to install your games. You click install and the only option it gives you is what language you want the game to be in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:25 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

You mean Impulse? Go to the Folders tab under Preferences and you should be able to change your default install location.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:39 am 
Layman
Layman

Demiverse wrote:
You mean Impulse? Go to the Folders tab under Preferences and you should be able to change your default install location.

Well, I did everything you said. Installed directly to Local Disk C, downloaded the C++, disabled uac, ran as admin, and ran in xp service pack 3 and nothing once again. I think I may be screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:45 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

You tried running it in compatibility mode (preferably for XP)? What happens when you open the exe? CTD? Or you're still getting the same C++ prompt?

I don't really know anything about Impulse. Could be any of a number of problems there. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 pm 
Layman
Layman

Demiverse wrote:
You tried running it in compatibility mode (preferably for XP)? What happens when you open the exe? CTD? Or you're still getting the same C++ prompt?

I don't really know anything about Impulse. Could be any of a number of problems there. *shrugs*

Yeah, I ran it in XP service pack 3, and it says the same thing except that it's in its new location (C: Morrowind), cuz I was able to directly install it there by changing some settings in the Gstop app.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:29 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Could be an issue with the third party app. A corrupted copy, incomplete installation, something like that. Generally, the game runs fine on Windows 8.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:27 am 
Layman
Layman

Demiverse wrote:
Could be an issue with the third party app. A corrupted copy, incomplete installation, something like that. Generally, the game runs fine on Windows 8.

Yeah I have no idea at this point. It worked fine on my brother's old laptop which ran on windows XP, thus it can't be a corrupted copy. I'm going to try on another pc and see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:32 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
I have also had the exact same problem! I have tried most of the steps listed above, none seemed to work. I purchased the game from the gamestop app. I have had the game work on windows 8.0, but i first noticed the problem after downloading 8.1, not sure if this is related? Hopefully someone has an answer to this problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:52 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: PC, 360
I have this exact same problem. Same OS and same error message. Its so irritating. It works on my parents Desktop but wont work on my laptop. The main difference between the two is that the desktop runs windows 8 and the laptop runs 8.1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:14 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind Oblivion
I think you may find that the issue you all are experiencing, is not only running the game in compatability mode for windows XP (pack 3) and running as administrator but try to *install* as administrator in compatability mode for XP (pack 3). To do this is go into the setup app on either your Goty DVD or hopefully go into the setup utility on your downloaded content by right-clicking on the setup app on the DVD, and picking properties, then pick compatability and on that page click windows xp (pack 3) and click administrator, then press apply. then you double click only the setup app. once it all installs then go into your Morrowind program files find the Morrowind.exe and pick properties, then pick compatability, and then click windows xp (pack3) and click administrator. Now double click Morrowind.exe and it should launch. do this process for all your older games. Hopefully, it will work. :)