UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Why can I not hit ANYTHING?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:51 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind (Kind of), Daggerfall (Barely)
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
Im a new Morrowind player coming from Oblivion in search of a more immersive, creative game.

I found that completely in Morrowind. It was perfect. I was so impressed by everything, especially the environments. I mean, it was wonderful~

But then I stepped into a dungeon and got attacked. The thing ran up to me and started swingin his sword away. I tried to attack back but...

ITS KIND OF HARD WHEN HE HITS ME EVERY TIME FOR ~10% OF MY HEALTH AND I LITERALLY CAN NOT HIT HIM.

Ok, so I died without hitting him despite swinging my sword at him numourous times (and I was specializing in Agility, and had Short Sword as a minor skill. So seriously...)

I re started the game, blah blah blah. I figured maybe he was just a really hard thing I needed to avoid. But then I got attacked by like this dinosaur thing (which was super cool by the way) except..

I COULDNT HIT IT. I MISSED EVERY TIME.

So I really need help. Is this game trying to make me hate it? I finally thought I found the perfect RPG and its becoming unplayable just because I DIE WHENEVER ANYTHING ATTACKS ME. I CAN NOT HIT ANYTHING. I MISS EVERY TIME. WHY?

Ok freak out over. But I spent $20 on GOTY Morrowind and I can say with certainty the game dislikes me very much. I miss 9 times out of 10. Like seriously!!! I love EVERYTHING about it except for a small, game-breaking detail.

Are there any tips you guys can give me to help me NOT fail at this game?

Post subject: Re: Why can I not hit ANYTHING?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:57 pm 
Champion
Champion

How much skill have you got in Short Blade? The combat's Morrowind's main pitfall, so sometimes you just have to ignore it. I once fired about 50 arrows at a Cliff Racer without hitting it once.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:00 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
This is probably one of the things that turn a lot of Oblivion players away from Morrowind. And I agree, it can be annoying as hell to not be able to hit your enemies.

How high Agility/Short Blade level do you have? And what weapon are you using?

to the land of the ancient lords

Lordran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:01 pm 
Associate
Associate

KalleFlaxx wrote:
This is probably one of the things that turn a lot of Oblivion players away from Morrowind. And I agree, it can be annoying as hell to not be able to hit your enemies.

How high Agility/Short Blade level do you have? And what weapon are you using?

Im planning on starting a new character. The one I was using was just a test-run for fun. So Im open for any changes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:07 pm 
Champion
Champion

If you're starting a new character, make sure to have a combat skill as a major. Honestly, my first character had both Blades and Marksman all as minors, and it was such a pain to kill enemies quickly in combat. If there's an enemy you need to dispatch with speed, then you'll want a major in a weapon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:10 pm 
Warder
Warder

Yeah, you definitely need a Weapon Skill as a Major. And preferably an Armor Skill as well.

Personally, if it was my first time playing the game, and I wanted a decent character when I'm learning the game, I'd go for a warrior kinda character. With skills such as Long Blade, Medium or Heavy Armor, Block, etc. as Major Skills.

Lordran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:11 pm 
Associate
Associate

Veck wrote:
If you're starting a new character, make sure to have a combat skill as a major. Honestly, my first character had both Blades and Marksman all as minors, and it was such a pain to kill enemies quickly in combat. If there's an enemy you need to dispatch with speed, then you'll want a major in a weapon.

Ok this makes a lot of sense...I had mine as a minor skill because I thought I would just be a more magic-oriented player. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to start it off like this now so I can get the full Morrowind experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:16 pm 
Warder
Warder

Ah, yeah, mages can be very powerful and very fun to play. But they're unfortunately difficult for new players, especially in the beginning. Much because you can fail when casting spells, and unless you mod the game, you'll only be able to regain Magicka by sleeping or drinking potions.
I'd highly suggest trying out a Mage, but I think it's best if you learn the basics first with a character that can take more beatings than a mage character. :wink:

Lordran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:17 pm 
Champion
Champion

Not to mention mages are seriously lacking in killing power at the beginning unless you major in Destruction. Even then, you need to spend some of your limited money on some Frost or Lightning spells quickly, or you're pretty much doomed against Dunmers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:22 pm 
Warder
Warder

Yeah, that's an important thing to remember. In pretty much every bandit cave you go into, you will run into Dunmer, and they are highly resistant to fire. So if you play a Mage, you definitely need to find a good Frost, Shock or Poison spell asap.

But that's not a big problem if you decide to roll with a warrior type. I'm sure you'll come through fine. And if you don't, come find us and we'll help you out.

Lordran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:32 pm 
Associate
Associate

Oh my god I love it when everybody on a forum is super helpful <3
Thanks a lot guys

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:36 pm 
Champion
Champion

It's no problem. I could get used to being helpful for once...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:59 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
Yeah the problem definitely seems to be having Short Blade as a minor, rather than a major.

The formula for Chance to Hit is:
Chance to hit = Attacker's weapon skill * 1.25 + Attacker's Attack (e.g. Warrior = 10) - Defender's Sanctuary (e.g. Thief = 10) + (Attacker's Agility - Defender's Agility) * 0.25 + (Attacker's Luck - Defender's Luck) * 0.125

I plugged in 50 for your Agility, because the base is 40, and you said you specialized, 15 for your short blade because it was a minor, 0 for your attack and 0 for your enemy's Sanctuary, and 40 for your enemy's Agility, and 40 for both of your Luck.

Now, I suck at math, but after all that, I got 21.25 as your chance to hit. Even having 25 Short Blade would increase your chance to hit to something much more manageable.

Also, don't forget about your Fatigue. Low fatigue, even though it isn't included in the calculation, does greatly influence your chance to hit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:09 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion (GOTY)
Platform: Morrowind - PC, Oblivion - PS3
Having had a good run-through with my first proper character (beat the Imperial Legion quests, and about half the fighters guild, and a bit of house Redoran) try this for an easy introduction:

Redguard Male
The Warrior or The Lady
Custom Class
Combat Spec.
Endurance, Strength
Long Blade, Block, Heavy Armor, Armorer, Athletics
Alteration, Conjuration, Marksman, Restoration, Mysticism

You can change the skills if you want, but keep Long Blade, Heavy Armor and Block.

You will start with level 50 Long Blade, and the +10 attack from the Warrior, and if you need it you can use Adrenaline Rush. Makes it a lot easier to get into.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
I'm actually pretty late to the party it seems, but here's what I'd say about the issue.

Your chance to hit is calculated like this:
Chance to hit = Attacker's weapon skill (e.g. Long Blade) * 1.25 + Attacker's Attack (e.g. Warrior = 10) - Defender's Sanctuary (e.g. Thief = 10) + (Attacker's Agility - Defender's Agility) * 0.25 + (Attacker's Luck - Defender's Luck) * 0.125

I've bolded the things that can easily be changed and measured, but another option is to look at some of the person your attacking's contributing factors to the equation.

You can obviously try to increase your weapon skill, that is the simplest answer to the question, but increasing your agility, luck and attack (by fortifying it through a spell or blessing, or by raising strength - although this is, to some degree, speculative) are all viable ways of increasing your chance to connect.

Further, you may actually want to try to damage your opponents agility and/or luck. This can be achieved through an enchantment or spell and can further help with your problem.

Considering all this, it is always handy to do the following when starting from scratch.

Choose Strength, Agility or Luck as your Favoured Attributes (I normally always go Strength, Agility - as I like to play as a Rogue-type character)

Choose at least on Weapon Skill as a Major Skill. (I almost always choose Long Blade as a Major) The same goes for Block, because you'll find that as your skill increases, it is much more effective and also is 'faster' to train (although it takes more use than before to train, sort of negating that effect). As has been mentioned, you won't find it very effective until the skill is around 30-40 (obviously what 'effective' means is subjective, but as a general rule).

You may also wish to choose The Warrior as your Birthsign (10 point boost to Attack).

Edit: I just saw Akiraka's post, as I'd had this tab open in reply all day (I've been working). Anyway, doesn't hurt to see the formula again, with my new notes :lol:.

Edit: typo

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

Last edited by OblivionDuruza on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:09 am 
Champion
Champion

Quote:
and attack (by raising strength) ... achieved through a poison,
Wat.
It's my understanding that attack is either 0, or 10 (for those born under the Warrior) barring potions, and possibly spells.
Poison? Did I miss something? :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:13 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion (GOTY)
Platform: Morrowind - PC, Oblivion - PS3
You can also raise attack by traveling to one of the Tribunal shrines (one of the first pilgrimage quests for the temple) which lasts for about half a day I think. So if you have a hard fight you can't beat, maybe mark by the entrance, travel to the shrine, then recall back to fight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:15 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Okay, poisons was a slip up, but attack is not 0 or 10, it's just a hidden stat that nobody has actually figured out. You can fortify it several ways (including praying at a shrine of Vivec), although this is a rare practice.

Last edited by OblivionDuruza on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:17 am 
Champion
Champion

Quote:
Okay, poisons was a slip up, but attack is not 0 or 10, it's just a hidden stat that nobody has actually figured out.
Ohh. No one's figured it out? How do they work it into the CtH formula? :shock:

I figure it's the opposite of, and works the same way as, Sanctuary -- 0 for everyone who isn't born under the Thief, barring powers and spells.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:20 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, you could be right, so I'm not going to try and preach to you that you're not, but I've seen guides and other material which state that it's a hidden stat based on Strength. I'll find more links but in the meantime, check out the links in my previous post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:32 am 
Champion
Champion

I read the article before I posted anything >.> There's nothing there about it being equated to Strength... (Though I suppose there's nothing suggesting it's zero, but, if you look at the article on combat;
Quote:
1.25 + Attacker's Attack (e.g. Warrior = 10)
That implies that it's not ten until it applies the Warrior Birthsign, implying that, given the Warrior confers a 10 point bonus to Attack, that attack's base is zero) One can look at Sanctuary in the same manor. We don't assume that all characters have a hidden amount of sanctuary -- all characters have no sanctuary until it is gained by birthsign or spell, and can then be seen under that character's active effects. Same as the attack bonus, come to think of it

Last edited by Akiraka on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:35 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yeah I never doubted that you did, but it seems to suggest that it is a stat rather than a spell effect. Seeing as it is a Fortify Spell. This leads me to believe that it is a derived stat, and the only logical conclusion is that Strength has something to do with it as:
Quote:
Strength: Controls the damage you cause with weapons, as well as how much you can carry. It also helps determine your maximum Fatigue and starting Health. Strength also factors into how your weapon durability degrades on each successful hit: Higher strength means higher weapon degradation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:38 am 
Champion
Champion

Quote:
Strength: Controls the damage you cause with weapons, as well as how much you can carry. It also helps determine your maximum Fatigue and starting Health. Strength also factors into how your weapon durability degrades on each successful hit: Higher strength means higher weapon degradation.
How does any of that imply likelihood of hitting? Amount of damage is amount of damage, based on
Quote:
Your damage is modified by your Strength, with a Strength of 50 being the 'baseline' - so if your Strength is 100, you will deal 50% more than the listed damage, with 0 strength you will deal 50% less than the listed damage. Note that this is true for all weapon types, not just those with Strength as the controlling attribute. The amount of damage dealt is modified by your opponent's armor rating. The basic calculation is (Damage * Damage) / (Damage + Opponent Armor Rating). Creatures have no armor rating.
It isn't even passingly suggested anywhere in there that Strength controlls to-hit modifiers at all -is confused-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:50 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

No I'm confused now :lol:. You're talking about Strength Affecting Chance to hit and I'm talking about Strength affecting Attack, which then effects Chance to Hit?

This is another discussion on chance to hit.

I think the important thing to take from this is that we're debating an almost moot point. Increasing your own/decreasing your opponents attributes is the most effective method in this case.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:59 am 
Champion
Champion

I still see no discernible link between Strength and Chance-to-Hit, but, yeah, I'm definitely not gonna debate it :P

Answer my riddle! :P Or is it that lame? Haha

Also, I edited my last post in the favorite weapons of Oblivion thread (rather than double post FTL), posing a question to you, but I don't think editing my post bumped the thread.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next