UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thinking about visiting Morrowind
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:44 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY, Morrowind GOTY, Skyrim, ESO subscriber
Platform: PS3, PC,XBOX360
UESPoints: 0
Ive been trying to fill the void until Skyrim comes out and Oblivion has ruined me for other RPG's. Now that i have a decent laptop, i was thinking of picking up Morrowind. Who else out there thinks this is a good idea? Will it be a smooth transition? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

PSN chevycopo69
XBL chevycopo69
ESO @Lordstannis0621

Post subject: Re: Thinking about visiting Morrowind
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:59 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
Quote:
Now that i have a decent laptop, i was thinking of picking up Morrowind. Who else out there thinks this is a good idea? Will it be a smooth transition?
ME! :D
Morrowind crushes Oblivion. If you can get past the aesthetic differences, having to read (oh noes!) and not practically flying everywhere, swimming faster than you fly, even when carrying your body weight in armor, you'll soon agree, I think.

One of the "roughest" things about Morrowind is that it does not do Oblivion-type hand holding. There won't be map markers to point you exactly to a person you've never met in a town to which you've never been. There's no fast travel from point a to point b, per se.
And there's no power attacks. Combat is roll-to-hit, based on your Agility, and weapon skill. Weapon skill does not determine how much damage you can do. Only how easily you can hit.
Spells can have a ranged magnitude if you so choose. If you can't cast a fire damage 25-points-in-ten-feet spell, you can make (Anyone can make spells, and buy enchanting at any time, through any vendor the sells the service) a fire damage 1-to-25 points-in-ten-feet instead. This also applies to weapon enchantments.

Weapons, and enemies do not have a retarded linear progression. Some weapons weigh less, while doing more damage than other weapons. Some break faster. All items have a certain amount of enchantability, and can be enchanted with almost any kind of spell. (I.e. you can make a helmet that will give you a cast-on-touch fire damage spell)

Fast travel is done by way of buying transport via ship, silt strider, scrolls that transport you to an Imperial Cult shrine, or Tribunal Temple, and the spells Mark and Recall.

One can wear multiple layers of clothing. I.e. you can wear boots pants, greaves, a shirt, cuirass, and a robe all at once.

Last edited by Akiraka on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:05 pm 
Modern Major General
Modern Major General

ES Games: Oblivn Goy, Morrwnd, Skrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Steam: The_Nanza
UESPoints: 8
I started playing Morrowind yesterday. I installed mods for weapons and armor to give them higher resolution and gave it a go. IT GAVE ME GOOSEBUMPS! Go for it, dude.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:06 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh wow, i didnt know they were so different... this will be interesting. im pumped right now. How is the main story? Pretty interesting?

PSN chevycopo69
XBL chevycopo69
ESO @Lordstannis0621

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:06 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
I think that's a splendid idea.

I'd recommend reading this wiki page first. It lists pretty much every difference between Morrowind and Oblivion.

You'll have to be prepared to walk around quite a lot when doing quests. The only help you get with quests is what people tells you.
Oh, and everything anyone tells you will be saved in your journal, so if you've talked to someone about something, you'll always have it with you. Very convenient.

to the land of the ancient lords

Lordran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:08 pm 
Champion
Champion

Quote:
I think that's a splendid idea.

I'd recommend reading this wiki page first. It lists pretty much every difference between Morrowind and Oblivion.

Yeah, that :P It'll save me from typing haha. Though I rather enjoy listing all the various things Morrowind does better.
You'll love it :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:09 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PS3
Sorry, but no mod's will ever make Morrowind as life like and immersive as Oblivion, the reason i loved Oblivion (being unfamiliar with the other TES title's myself) is because the world was so real, it made venturing fourth into the unknown extremlely fun and thats why i have decided not to even attempt to play Morrowind, i'm way to accustomed to 3rd gen graphics to play something like Morrowind now, i would be drained of all my will to live trying to play through it, i will settle for just a read through of Morrowinds story.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:17 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim.
Platform: Xbox360
I find Morrowind a far more immersing game than Oblivion. I have no idea why, but there's just a certain "Mystical Feel" about Morrowind. Yes, the two are very different bu I think you will find it a worthwhile experience.

~Savlen Maros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:21 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion (GOTY)
Platform: Morrowind - PC, Oblivion - PS3
Haha Morrowind is already more immersive than Oblivion. Morrowind's factions are intertwined in conflict, the lore and history is much more important to the story, the world is much more diverse and wonderful, the characters are much better. There's no level scaling etc.

Oblivion might be a prettier game, but it's inferior in almost every aspect. The only thing I would consider better in Oblivion is the interface is much more friendly, although it could still be better.

Seriously, you can make such a statement, but you admitted you've never played Morrowind! Get it! It takes maybe a few hours to really get into (just make sure you have the wiki at the ready if you get stuck) and you will see that it's a far better RPG.

Some might prefer Oblivion as a game, but as an RPG Morrowind is easily twice as good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am 
Champion
Champion

I'm not a car guy, so I can't believe I'm about to attempt this metaphor, but, here goes: Oblivion is like dropping a old go-kart engine into a Lotus Elise. Most beautiful to look at insubstantial thing. Morrowind is turning your old rusted el camino into a 10-second monster and never touching the paint, just because you can.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:33 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
I would definitely say that you should get Morrowind, it's simply a fantastic game.

Seeing as you've played Oblivion, I'll direct you here, to this artile to see some info on the differences between the games.

It might also be interesting to read this thread, and the threads linked to it in Avron's post.

I'm still loving Morrowind myself, there is such a high re-playability factor and the world of Vvardenfell is just so interesting and ensnaring.

I'd be happy to answer any of your questions on the subject, but I think it's important for all first time players to know that they should not worry about spending money on travel and training, as it is easy to come by and the fast travelling services and even training, are worth it in the long run (although Mark, Recall and the two Intervention Spells - all teleportation spells - are more handy once you get them).

You might also find it profitable to join Guilds and a Great House before you get too much into the Main Quest, but it's really your gameplay experience. Talk to everyone, talk is cheap :lol:.

Most important to know is that you may fail at many of your actions, be it casting a spell or even connecting a blow with a sword. This means that you really need to train your skills up to at least the thirties before they start to become bearable.

Finally, you may find that you want to start again, that's completely normal, in fact most players are like that, even if they've played other Elder Scrolls games.

There's so much to explore in Morrowind, even without the many, many mods, so I encourage you to give it a go. Happy Morrowinding!

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:44 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks again guys, and ill probably be asking alot of questions... so ill give my thanks and apologize now...lol

PSN chevycopo69
XBL chevycopo69
ESO @Lordstannis0621

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:48 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
Don't worry man, we'll be happy to answer any questions you might have. Morrowind can be a harsh place for newcomers, and it can really help to have people who can help you.
Just hang in there and I'm sure you'll fit right in.

to the land of the ancient lords

Lordran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:48 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Ask away hoodedrobin, I'm always here to answer any questions you may have. :mrgreen:

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]