UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Favourite potions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:04 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind
Platform: Xbox
UESPoints: 0
I'm actually fishing around for other people's useful potion recipes, but here's what I never leave Balmora without:

Ash Yam/Bloat, Corkbulb Root, Guar Hide, Netch Leather
Fortify Intelligence, Fortify Luck, Fortify Endurance
Down one of these before making up stocks of potions for extra-powerful brews

Heather, Kagouti Hide, Moon Sugar, Scuttle
Feather, Fortify Speed
I get bored with the slow pace of moving about and this is a huge boon. This is where all my moon sugar goes: I like to carry the other three ingredients around so I can brew up right away when I find some and avoid the annoying ritual of dropping and re-gathering the sugar before I talk to anyone.

Chokeweed, Saltrice, Wickwheat
Restore Fatigue, Restore Health
A lot of combinations will give you this effect, but these three are all available in Balmora temple. It's an essential combat potion - once you can brew this to a decent standard you need never really worry too much about combat again, since health will replenish faster than it gets damaged.

Trama Root, Racer Plumes
Levitate
Both available from Nalcarya of White Haven. Not a stunning suite of effects but Levitate is so useful, and so hard to cast for extended durations, that I always make sure I have a few to hand.

Corkbulb Root, Gold Kanet/Stoneflower Petals, Guar Hide, Scamp Skin
Cure Paralyzation, Fortify Luck, Restore Strength, Restore Personality
Two useful effects in one potion. Cure paralyzation for that most annoying of effects, and restore strength to ensure you don't get stuck over-encumbered in the middle of nowhere.

Black Anther, Hackle-Lo Leaf, Luminous Russula/Kwama Cuttle, Red Lichen
Light, Water Breathing
I find this the most useful combination for underwater exploration. Swift Swim isn't really that handy an effect, but I do like to be able to see what I'm doing!

Daedra Heart, Kagouti Hide, Void Salt/Frost Salt
Night Eye, Restore Magicka
This is really just an expensive version of restore magicka, but the night eye side-effect is often very useful. And once you've started to accumulate gold the cost becomes a non-issue.

Post subject: Re: Favourite potions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:33 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 25
I haven't played Morrowind in a while, so I can't give the recipes I use right on the spot. But I always carry a decent supply of Cure Disease and Restore Health potions :) Because, you know, the Blight and all that :)
And thank you for the useful reference :)

But why bounce around to the same damn song?
You'd rather run when you can't crawl...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:15 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Morrowind GotY
Platform: Pee See
I always like toting around tons of ingredents, but mostly restore health ones. Since I'm crazily fond of jumping from high distances, I use them a lot. :lol:

Thanks for the Light/Waterbreathing one, though, I'm quite fond of undersea exploration. With mods to make creatures less hostile, you can have a calming fun time of swimming about.

Spoiler:
Ratwar wrote:
Brains......
Brains......

Livers.......

Sleeper of House Dagoth
Galvanized Gordon Freeman of the VGCC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:54 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, MW GOTY, Oblivion
Platform: PC, PS3
I'm fond of cranking my intelligence as high as I can then making a TON of Fortify Speed and Levitate potions. If I have a long run in the wilderness I jack my speed up to about 1000(or less if I'm in a dungeon) pop a levitate potion and FLY, really really fast. I've found this to be an effective way of covering the map without cheating and using the fill map command. I also usually pack about 10 feather potions and I try to not travel with less than 50 restore health potions. Quick side note, Alchemy is the only way to go. The majority of potions made either weigh NOTHING or .1 pounds. I've noticed however that Fortify INT potions can be a bit hefty.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:36 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: TES Anthology
I know it's a bit late, but thanks for posting this topic. I've been searching the wikia for useful potion recipes ever since I started playing Morrowind, and it never occurred to me to search the forums. I also like the first recipe you listed (which I discovered completely by accident) because the vendors are very easily accessible by guild guide: Caldera Mages Guild, and Imperial Cult: Wolverine Hall respectively. I have a few to add, but they need more testing.

(Edit: After additional testing, I've augmented the combinations.)

Heather, Hound Meat / Scrib Jerky, Scuttle
Restore Fatigue, Fortify Fatigue, Feather
Great for taking a load off your feet. A well-known glitch is that, if it's a super potion, the Fortify Fatigue effect cuts all vendor prices to 1 gp.

Emerald, Large Kwama Egg, Saltrice, Shalk Resin / Vampire Dust
Restore Fatigue, Fortify Health, Fortify Magicka, Restore Health
Something to do with all those heavy eggs you've been lugging around, but can be a tad expensive. Shalk Resin is much cheaper than Vampire Dust. Can prevent you from taking a beating if you play on the hardest difficulty like I do.

Hackle-Lo Leaf, Luminous Russula, Scales, Scrib Jerky
Restore Fatigue, Swift Swim, Water Breathing
Ideal for any underwater exploration. Do not use a Kwama Cuttle in place of the Scrib Jerky or the Water Walking effect will negate your ability to dive beneath the surface.

Also, if price is not an issue, I would modify the OP's last recipe to:

Daedra Heart, Kagouti Hide, Void Salt, Vampire Dust
Night Eye, Restore Magicka, Spell Absorption
Note the new effect? Very nice indeed, if you can afford it.

Adding a couple more to my list:

Bloat, Ectoplasm, Sload Soap, Wickwheat
Fortify Agility, Detect Animal, Fortify Willpower
Fortifies two stats plus gives you that handy radar ability that makes all living things show up as blips on the map. Great for stealthy characters, and all ingredients are available in Balmora.

Alit Hide, Ampoule Pod, Scuttle, Violet Coprinus
Water Walking, Detect Animal, Telekinesis
A simple augmentation to the original Water Walking potion that adds two more useful effects.

Ash Yam, Durzog Meat, Ectoplasm
Fortify Strength, Fortify Agility
Makes a decent combat buff. Note that Durzog Meat can only be found in Tribunal, and only by killing durzogs. Otherwise, you'll have to add Dreugh Wax and Sload Soap in its place. I like to carry the other two ingredients while exploring Mournhold's sewers, so I can brew this every time I waste a durzog.

Last edited by FrozenWolf150 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:49 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
I really like:

Kersh Fiber, Stoneflower Petals
Fortify personality
Both grow in large quantities everywhere along the west coast from Balmora to Khuul, are light and with a bit of Alchemy skill make a potion that's much better than Telvanni Bug Musk and very useful.

Stoneflower Petals, Saltrice
Fortify Magicka
Extremely useful for mages with Atronach birthsign, because unlike the Restore Magicka potions this one doesn't use rare and expensive ingredients (saltrice is more common than dirt and large clumps of stoneflowers grow everywhere along the west coast).

Rule #137: Always waste time when you don't have any.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:45 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Interesting, and useful too. Would you recommend combining the two recipes into one? In other words, just mix Kresh Fibers, Saltrice, and Stoneflower Petals into the same potion. I tested it and it doesn't have any negative effects.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 am 
Champion
Champion

You could, but in what situation would that be useful? Fortify Personality is usually useful in non-combat situations and they usually don't require you to cast too many spells, so there's no need for Fortify Magicka effect. I guess one reason would be a situation when you can't carry much and don't know exactly what you're going to run into - instead of taking two kinds of potions you could just take one and use it as needed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY
I really like everyone's ideas on this thread. Although I try to keep my alchemy use to a minimum, I might just have to try some of these out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:52 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Here's an unusual combination for Bloodmoon:

Hound Meat, Scrib Jerky, Kagouti Hide, Wolf Pelt
Restore Fatigue, Fortify Fatigue, Drain Fatigue, Fortify Speed, Resist Common Disease, Night Eye
Derived from the fact that Wolf Pelt from Bloodmoon is functionally identical to Kagouti Hide, you can get five positive effects in a single potion. While it does contain one negative effect, the combination of Hound Meat and Scrib Jerky more than overrides it, especially if you have a good alembic and retort. Note that Snow Wolf Pelt or Snow Bear Pelt may be substituted for either of the latter two ingredients.

I've been testing various recipes with the standard Bear Pelt, but am still unsure of which would work best. Anyone have any ideas? It doesn't seem to be as useful as the Wolf Pelt. Also, here's another high-end recipe:

Comberry, Hound Meat, Void Salts, Vampire Dust
Restore Magicka, Reflect, Spell Absorption
A spellwarding potion. What doesn't get absorbed has a chance to be reflected. When created at high enough levels, it should make you almost completely immune to magic. It's also very expensive, although not as expensive as the recipe that uses Daedra's Heart.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:44 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim:Dawnguard
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
This is really basic and not even really useful in the traditional sense and is really just a quick gold guide :P

1. Join the Mages Guild
Quote from http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Mages_Guild#Joining_the_Morrowind_Mages_Guild
Quote:
Joining the Mages Guild is fairly simple: you need to talk to the right people. There are six people in Vvardenfell that can admit you to the Mages Guild:

Malven Romori in the upper level of the Guild of Mages in Vivec's Foreign Quarter.

Trebonius Artorius Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild, located in the lower level of the Guild of Mages in Vivec's Foreign Quarter.

Ranis Athrys, located on the ground level of the Guild of Mages in Balmora.

Skink-in-Tree's-Shade, located in the Mage's Guild in Wolverine Hall.

Folms Mirel, in the upper level of the Guild of Mages in Caldera.

Edwinna Elbert, located in the lower level of the Guild of Mages in Ald'ruhn.

Chat with any of these characters about joining the Mages Guild, and they will admit you as an Associate.

Now you don't actually need to do any quests for the Mages Guild after you join, but it can be helpful for a disposition boost for the later steps, but that can easily be done with bribing/persuasion.

2. Obtain Alchemical Instruments
Next you will need to get a full set of Alchemical tools. An easy way to get a full set of Master Alchemy tools is to go to Caldera, either by Mage service or walking from Balmora. Once in Caldera, you will want to proceed to the Caldera Mages Guild. Open the door by Ernand Thierry and go up the tower, at the top is a complete set of Master level Alchemy tools and a small amount of reagents. You can take these without being noticed but if you try and sell anything in this tower to Ernand Thierry, you will get expelled and fined.

If you do not want to steal these you can buy them from almost any Alchemy vendor.

3. Buy Restore Fatigue items
After you have your tools you will need to go to Ajira in the Balmora Mages Guild. She is downstairs next to the Mage Teleporter. You will need to buy three things:

-Small Kwama Egg
-Hound Meat
-Crab Meat

You want to buy as many as you can, when you buy them, resell them. This will duplicate the amount Ajira has for sale. Repeat to stacks of 30-50 (whichever you have money for).

4. Create Restore Fatigue Potions
You then want to create as many restore fatigue potions as you can with the materials you have. You are going to repeat this as much as you want. The only thing is that Ajira will run out of gold fairly quickly after a few rounds of this. Just rest for 24 hours and it will restock her gold to 800g.

I eventually got her stacks up to 100 each. When you buy this you will pretty much be over-encumbered if you are a lower level so you will need to create all the potions at once.

One thing you may notice when you open the vendor to sell, is that all your potions are unstacked, just back out to the main topic hud and open up "Barter" again and it will stack all the similar 'Restore Fatigue Potions'.

When I originally found out this little trick I made about 100k in a little over an hour on a fresh Seyda Neen character. If you have 'Mercantile' or 'Alchemy' as a Major Skill then you will actually get some levels out of this as well. As your Alchemy skill increases the strength and the worth of the potion will increase leading to faster gold making.

Have fun ;)

I see you with MY EYE!
And all is SILENCE!
I Wake! I Remember!
LORD!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:51 pm 
Champion
Champion

GannHalon - Alchemy as a source of money is a pretty basic thing. ;) And you don't need to join the Mages Guild to do it. In fact, it's better to use Daynali Dren in Tel Mora or Nalcarya in Balmora - they have much more money to spend; they also have a restocking supply of several cheap ingredients that can be combined into a potion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:20 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim:Dawnguard
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
dzio wrote:
GannHalon - Alchemy as a source of money is a pretty basic thing. ;) And you don't need to join the Mages Guild to do it. In fact, it's better to use Daynali Dren in Tel Mora or Nalcarya in Balmora - they have much more money to spend; they also have a restocking supply of several cheap ingredients that can be combined into a potion.

:P

I see you with MY EYE!
And all is SILENCE!
I Wake! I Remember!
LORD!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:05 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yeah, most players already know about that strategy, and have likely read the wikia section on Alchemy. On the other hand, if you have any original potion recipes to share, or any that you find useful in your games, please feel free to list them.

In my experience, I do find that joining the Mages Guild helps immensely because you can take advantage of their Alchemy trainers and guild guides. It's much easier to collect reagents when you can instantly teleport to another guildhall. Though as I posted on the wiki, you can also steal a full Master's alchemy set from Nalcarya in Balmora by carefully positioning yourself around the corner from her, so the pillar blocks her view, and then accessing the supply crate in the corner of her shop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm 
Champion
Champion

But you don't have to joing Mages Guild to use guild guides and (some) trainers... ;)

And for anyone who wants to train up their Alchemy very early on, I recommend picking up mushrooms while exploring the Bitter Coast around Seyda Neen. They are rather heavy and only produce poison (which is useless), but it's an easy way to get better at brewing quickly and make a little money.

Oh, and this:
Scrib jelly, Ash salts - Cure blight - essential for exploring the Ashlands, unless you have high resistance to blight disease.

And before you go hunting for those scribs, brew some of this:
Corkbulb root, Willow anther - Cure paralysis - great potion for low level characters, especially since they tend to grow in the same places.

And something for pearl-gathering, Telvanni style:
Bonemeal, Scuttle - telekinesis combined with Ampoule pod, Kwama cuttle - Water walking. You can mix them all together, but it gives you Drain fatigue as well, so I think it's better to make two potions.

Scuttle, Heather, Kagouti hide, Moon sugar - Feather, Fortify speed - an escape potion.

Oh, and when you're just beginning, you should collect and keep all Stoneflowers you can. Their first effect is Restore Strength and munching on a couple of those can save your butt when you run into a Greater Bonewalker (and there are some near Seyda Neen and Balmora). Of course, you can mix them with some Scamp skin (or Gold kanet, if you don't care about the Drain luck effect) and make a real potion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:07 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY
I love making Water Walking potions out of Violet Coprinus and scales - both extremely common ingredients. My mage recently water walked the length of the Odai River instead of going along the bank, just cause he could. He's cool like that. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:48 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

dzio wrote:
Scuttle, Heather, Kagouti hide, Moon sugar - Feather, Fortify speed - an escape potion.

I think that one was mentioned in the OP. I was using it for a while, until I realized it's simply an additive effect. You can substitute any other valid pairing of ingredients for the Heather + Scuttle combination if you want to change the secondary effect. I mention this because I was cross referencing the Alchemy Effects page on the wiki with the offsite Potion Machine and came up with a new variation on the speed potion.

Hound Meat, Large Kwama Egg, Moon Sugar, Shalk Resin
Fortify Speed, Fortify Health, Restore Fatigue
Another possibility for Moon Sugar and Large Kwama Eggs that makes for a better combat buff. The Shalk Resin is more expensive than the Heather + Scuttle combination though.

I also like this potion, which can be found on the wiki page on Alchemy.

Corkbulb Root, Guar Hide, Saltrice, Scrib Jerky
Restore Health, Restore Fatigue, Fortify Luck
All of these ingredients can be bought from Eldrilu Dalen at the Vos Chapel in Vos. Note that she also happens to have the ingredients for the first potion in the OP. So if you know how to get to Vos, this is a great place to start some serious potion making.

Edit: Also, I have found a use for the combined Fortify Personality, Fortify Magicka effect from the Kresh Fiber, Saltrice, and Stoneflower Petals. It turns out that if your Personality rating is high enough, it can lower the fight response of normally hostile NPCs like bandits, slavers, and vampires, thus allowing you to walk right up and blow them away first. This is also a good way to talk to such NPCs without having to cast a Calm Humanoid or Chameleon spell first.

Last edited by FrozenWolf150 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:00 pm 
Champion
Champion

Ups, sorry, didn't notice.

I like the second one, looks very useful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Edit: OK, screw what I said before. I didn't fully test many of my suggestions, and as a result, they came back to bite me. Here's the revised list.

Ash Yam, Dreugh Wax, Horn Lily Bulb, Sweetpulp
Fortify Strength, Restore Strength, Resist Paralysis
A nice combination of effects that takes full advantage of the dreugh wax. Restore Strength is vital if you're using any Damage Strength effects, in case they're reflected onto you. Resist Paralysis is always nice, and these are the two cheapest ingredients with this effect. Both are sold in restocking amounts at the Temple Infirmary in Mournhold.

Gravedust, Scales, Nirthfly Stalks, Resin
Restore Endurance, Restore Speed
An additive effect that restores the only two attributes that don't have corresponding first-effect ingredients. Nirthfly stalks can be purchased in restocking amounts at the Temple Infirmary in Tribunal.

Note: Said first-effect ingredients are bonemeal, bittergreen petals, kresh fiber, heather, stoneflower petals, and trama root. It might be wise to always carry a few of these around, especially if you don't have the proper Restoration spells and aren't anywhere near a temple.

Ash Salts, Scrib Jelly, Chokeweed, Green Lichen / Gravedust
Cure Blight Disease, Cure Common Disease
Useful in the early game, up until you get the corprus cure. The first 2 are the only combo for Cure Blight Disease. For the latter 2, those are the cheapest ingredients for Cure Common Disease. (Muck tends to create negative effects.) All 4 ingredients are available in the Balmora Temple.

Corkbulb Root, Willow Anther, Scathecraw, Scrib Jelly
Cure Paralyzation, Cure Poison, Restore Willpower
The lightest set of ingredients to cure the two effects for which the corprus cure doesn't grant immunity. This is an additive effect, and it won't fortify any attributes, though this can be good if you're not trying to do that.

Bloat, Ectoplasm, Sload Soap, Scrib Jelly
Fortify Agility, Detect Animal, Fortify Willpower
Fortifies the two stats that make it very difficult for enemies to hit you with physical OR magical attacks. Also gives you that handy radar ability that makes all living things show up as red blips on the map. Great for all types of characters, a must-have, and all ingredients are available in Balmora.

Alit Hide, Ampoule Pod, Scuttle, Violet Coprinus
Water Walking, Detect Animal, Telekinesis
A simple augmentation to the original Water Walking potion that adds two more useful effects. Good for pearl-gathering. Ernand Thierry sells all but the Scuttle. If you don't want the Water Walking effect, simply leave out the Violet Coprinus.

Daedra's Heart, Kagouti Hide, Moon Sugar (Netch Leather or Frost Salts)
Night Eye, Fortify Speed (Fortify Endurance or Restore Magicka)
If you haven't been to Solstheim, this is your best choice for the Night Eye effect. There are plenty of ingredients you could add to the mix to take advantage of the other effects of these ingredients, but to get Restore Magicka you'll have to use Frost Salts.

Comberry, Hound Meat, Void Salts, Vampire Dust / Fire Petals
Restore Magicka, Reflect, Spell Absorption
A more expensive spellwarding potion. What doesn't get absorbed has a chance to be reflected. When created at intelligence levels between 9K and 10K, it makes you almost completely immune to magic. You can sub Fire Petals for the Vampire Dust as a cheaper alternative, if you don't mind the paralysis risk.

Comberry, Fire Salts, Frost Salts, Willow Anther
Fire Shield, Frost Shield, Restore Magicka
These shield effects work like the Pyro Field ability from System Shock 2, in that they give you some resistance to their element, and cause damage to any nearby enemies. The enemies don't even have to hit you first, you just have to stand near them, so it's great for melee characters. While Bloodmoon adds several more ingredients that have Resist Frost, this combo has Restore Magicka as a bonus.

Corkbulb Root, Crab Meat, Alit Hide, Kwama Cuttle
Lightning Shield, Resist Poison
Although scrap metal can be substituted for corkbulb root to give you additional Resist Lightning, it's a heavy ingredient to carry around, and the effect is redundant. This potion is much cheaper than the above, though you should carry both regardless.

Last edited by FrozenWolf150 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:18 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Okay-- big problem, which may force me to retract many of my suggestions above.

As you probably already know, there's a glitch with certain fortify effects, in that the moment it wears off, you lose all the health, magicka, or fatigue you spent while it was active. Even though I'm using the Morrowind Code Patch, I still have the same exact problem. As soon as the effect wears off, my numbers are pushed into the extreme negatives. If this happens with Fortify Fatigue, my character instantly collapses from exhaustion, which is not good if there are enemies around. If it happens with Fortify Magicka, it's especially bad if I have the Atronach birthsign, as I'm then forced to use a super potion of Restore Magicka just to get it back up. Of course, if this happens with Fortify Health, my just character keels over dead, akin to the Sudden Heart Attack Syndrome seen in the Thief games. As of yet, I can think of no way around this, other than to completely avoid using such fortify effects.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:13 pm 
Champion
Champion

This is how my first serious Morrowind character died - uber-Fortify Health OD. My solution to this is not using uber-potions. If you fortify your attributes by reasonable amount only, the potion is not going to surprise you by wearing off after 6 hours (when you've already forgotten you drank it) and it's not going to bring your health to -4000. ;)