UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC

Would you buy a remake of TESIII: Morrowind?
Definitely 59%  59%  [ 62 ]
Yes 24%  24%  [ 25 ]
Haven't Decided 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Maybe 10%  10%  [ 10 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Never 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 105
 Post subject: Would you buy a remake of TESIII: Morrowind?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:45 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
I really enjoyed Morrowind, but was slightly frustrated with elements of the gameplay, the graphics and the fact that I couldn't get it on PlayStation. I think that there is a market for a remake because, like myself, many fans of the series were introduced to it by Oblivion. Because Morrowind is not on PS3 etc. many fans haven't experienced it yet or have had to put up with somewhat backwards graphics and what not. And it wouldn't have to be a straight MorrOblivion type conversion (there wouldn't be too much of a point to that), Bethesda could still breathe new life into the game by adding the mainland. Keep the original questlines with some tweeks and add a new questline for each Great House on the mainland to give us even more background on the Dunmer culture. Something like:
Hlaalu - something exploring King Helseth (I know there's Tribunal but I think there's still scope for this)
Indroi - explore the Tribunal Temple a bit more perhaps
Redoran - border wars with the Nords on the Skyrim border
Telvanni - just keep up the crazy Telvanni stuff from the original
Dres - slavery and skirmishes with the Argonians in the south of Morrowind.

So what do you think and more importantly: would you buy a Morrowind remake?

P.S. As polls don't seem to be working, just ignore the poll for now and I might keep a running tally so just make it clear in your post if your a 'Yes' or a 'No' (you can really ignore the other options). Polls ARE working! :mrgreen:

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

Last edited by OblivionDuruza on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Would you buy a remake of TESIII: Morrowind?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:47 pm 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

UESPoints: 88
Maybe. I don't know. Probably not. I'll make some points tomorrow.

On company time

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:21 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC Master Race
UESPoints: 0
I never touch any remake (video game, movie, etc) on principle.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:31 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Arena
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
I'm with them nope

now if another game went in to morwind i guess i might buy it

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:32 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Iaius Amaius Heron wrote:

@Iaius Amaius Heron: Reasons why? Just to clarify I'm not purposing a straight remake, it would be different.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:15 am 
Warder
Warder

OblivionDuruza wrote:
@Iaius Amaius Heron: Reasons why? Just to clarify I'm not purposing a straight remake, it would be different.
I'll just say I've had... bad experiences when it comes to seeing that which I loved as a kid, seemingly dragged behind a shed and beaten with a shovel. :( Because of that, I instinctively react with shock and horror whenever I see the word "remake". But that's just me. :)

But if they re-made Morrowind (as close as possible to the original) but with Skyrim's graphics and a better combat system, revamped magicks and level-up system, and avoided all the little things in Oblivion that made me sad, I might give it a go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

OblivionDuruza wrote:
I'll just say I've had... bad experiences when it comes to seeing that which I loved as a kid, seemingly dragged behind a shed and beaten with a shovel. :( Because of that, I instinctively react with shock and horror whenever I see the word "remake". But that's just me. :)

But if they re-made Morrowind (as close as possible to the original) but with Skyrim's graphics and a better combat system, revamped magicks and level-up system, and avoided all the little things in Oblivion that made me sad, I might give it a go.

Definitely agree with you there, in the grand scheme of things Oblivion was a real crime by Bethesda in the fact that they should/could have made it a whole lot better. Morrowind was a great formula that needed a bit of work (hence the remake idea), they didn't need to go changing so much. I hope (and it looks like) they're go back to a game like Morrowind with Skyrim.

@Wolfie you might like my idea for a return to Morrowind with Black Marsh crossover at viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21577

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:02 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind and oblivion
Platform: Xbox 360
I would buy a remake

I played morrowind before oblivion and it was awesome best game ive ever played
So yeah i would definitly buy a remake :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:08 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Kcaj wrote:
I would buy a remake

I played morrowind before oblivion and it was awesome best game ive ever played
So yeah i would definitly buy a remake :D

@Kcaj finally some support for this idea (It's good to know I'm not the only crazy person out there who thinks it's a reasonable choice for Bethesda sometime in the future :D )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:51 am 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

Right. I've decided no. Because a remake isn't needed. People can still play morrowind and a graphics polish wouldn't work well with an outdated skill system.

On company time

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:53 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Skyrim, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Oblivion, Redguard, Arena
Platform: PC
I'd buy a remake in a flash. Hell, I'm still hoping TESVI will be set in Morrowind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:51 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: XBox 360, PC (WINE)
mars wrote:
Right. I've decided no. Because a remake isn't needed. People can still play morrowind and a graphics polish wouldn't work well with an outdated skill system.

Well, I think the skill system is part of what makes Morrowind what it is, updated graphics would allow it to look visually improved without changing how the game plays. The problem is that this isn't something Bethesda themselves would be likely to do, as it may be difficult to get modern players interested in it after playing Skyrim with it's simpler character management and slick menus, so it falls into the domain of modders and fans of the original game to anything with it.

An interesting possibility would be porting it over to the new Skyrim engine, but that has obvious legality issues as you can't just rip content out of Morrowind, remaster it and then release it for free. But I'd be interested to know if that would be circumvented if the mod used an installer that required a copy of Morrowind in order to retrieve all the quests, dialogue, and other stuff that wouldn't need changing in a graphical update? This way you'd need a copy of Morrowind to install, but would play using Skyrim's engine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Skyrim, Morrowind, Daggerfall, Oblivion, Redguard, Arena
Platform: PC
Well I wouldn't want to play a straight remake. Something more like a sequel would be better, a Morrowind rendered in the Skyrim engine set in the 4th era would be best. With the mainland in-game this time too, please. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:40 pm 
Warder
Warder

What I've always wanted to play, is a Morrowind set maybe 10-15 years after the defeat of Dagoth Ur (and thus a little time after the Oblivion Crisis, at the beginning of the 4th era).

I imagine it to be very much similar to normal Morrowind, but it's a lot more chaotic. Especially with the Temple and House Redoran, with the former now just coming to terms with their living gods now dead, and the latter's main city becoming Kvatch 2. The few remaining Imperial outposts will be in hot water trying to keep the peace; Forts Buckmoth and Moonmoth might even become abandoned dungeons full of Daedra.

Since the crap has already hit the fan, faction quests would be about trying to get out with all their limbs intact. I imagine them full of political intrigue and desperation, as everyone maneuvers to try and make sure theirs is the one that survives at the end.

The land will be blasted and burnt, covered with the remnants of Oblivion gates, Daedra will stalk the land (even in the Ascadian Isles and the West Gash), entire cities will be destroyed or abandoned, the people are frightened as the body count shoots ever skyward...

And you? Well, you're just another outlander. No prophecy, no Devil to deal with. You're in the same boat as everybody else. Will you save the people? Destroy them? Not care at all as you step over the gasping last breaths of that Dunmer mother just to put her valuables in a sack before walking away? Or will you not bother with the people and their things at all, and just explore and hunt Daedra and the walking dead in this wild and unforgiving environment? Be sure to watch out for angry Camonna Tong and Ashlanders (who believe, and possibly rightly so, that now is the time their lands are finally purged of the mongrel dogs of the Empire, and have stepped up their hostilities considerably), not to mention the Telvanni (who are severely taxed by their battles with the Daedra during the Oblivion Crisis up until now, and not at all happy that the abolitionists won, so again they're even more antagonistic towards outlanders [whom they blame for the Oblivion Crisis in the first place... and they're not alone]).

So all-in-all, it'll still be the same Morrowind everyone knows and loves. But just much more... violent? Frightful? Ripe for the picking? :Twisted Evil:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:24 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena,Daggerfall,Morrowind GOTY,Oblivion GOTY,Skyrim
Platform: PC,Xbox
What I've always wanted to play, is a Morrowind set maybe 10-15 years after the defeat of Dagoth Ur (and thus a little time after the Oblivion Crisis, at the beginning of the 4th era).

I imagine it to be very much similar to normal Morrowind, but it's a lot more chaotic. Especially with the Temple and House Redoran, with the former now just coming to terms with their living gods now dead, and the latter's main city becoming Kvatch 2. The few remaining Imperial outposts will be in hot water trying to keep the peace; Forts Buckmoth and Moonmoth might even become abandoned dungeons full of Daedra.

Since the crap has already hit the fan, faction quests would be about trying to get out with all their limbs intact. I imagine them full of political intrigue and desperation, as everyone maneuvers to try and make sure theirs is the one that survives at the end.

The land will be blasted and burnt, covered with the remnants of Oblivion gates, Daedra will stalk the land (even in the Ascadian Isles and the West Gash), entire cities will be destroyed or abandoned, the people are frightened as the body count shoots ever skyward...

And you? Well, you're just another outlander. No prophecy, no Devil to deal with. You're in the same boat as everybody else. Will you save the people? Destroy them? Not care at all as you step over the gasping last breaths of that Dunmer mother just to put her valuables in a sack before walking away? Or will you not bother with the people and their things at all, and just explore and hunt Daedra and the walking dead in this wild and unforgiving environment? Be sure to watch out for angry Camonna Tong and Ashlanders (who believe, and possibly rightly so, that now is the time their lands are finally purged of the mongrel dogs of the Empire, and have stepped up their hostilities considerably), not to mention the Telvanni (who are severely taxed by their battles with the Daedra during the Oblivion Crisis up until now, and not at all happy that the abolitionists won, so again they're even more antagonistic towards outlanders [whom they blame for the Oblivion Crisis in the first place... and they're not alone]).

So all-in-all, it'll still be the same Morrowind everyone knows and loves. But just much more... violent? Frightful? Ripe for the picking? :Twisted Evil:

that sounds...............AWESOME!!!!! i would definitely buy that

How WWII started
Hitler: "I can not get the damn tre... I WILL KILL EVERYONE IN ZE WORLD!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

mars wrote:

But people can't on current consoles. And I think a remake would be a nice segue into a new Morrowind game. Bethesda has done a lot to make the Dunmer lore-wise interesting for players, so why not use that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:47 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Arena
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Why not use arean? in many ways it was the best
how about daggerfall?

morwind is far form the best of the series if you dont count advances in graphics and systems

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:54 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena,Daggerfall,Morrowind GOTY,Oblivion GOTY,Skyrim
Platform: PC,Xbox
Wolfie wrote:
how about daggerfall?

morwind is far form the best of the series if you dont count advances in graphics and systems

you do have a point but thats not exactly whats being debated at the moment. but yeah definitely a good point.

How WWII started
Hitler: "I can not get the damn tre... I WILL KILL EVERYONE IN ZE WORLD!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:02 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Wolfie wrote:
how about daggerfall?

Morrowind is a happy medium between the first two games and Oblivion. Imagine what it would take to bring a game as big as Arena to today's standards it would be an enormous task. Also, a lot of Arena and Daggerfall was randomised to deal with the size. But, besides that, I think a remake would be a nice way to set up a Morrowind/Black Marsh game set after the events of The Infernal City and that's why I am suggesting a remake of it (as well as the fact that Bethesda didn't get to fulfil their dream of a mainland Morrowind when they were developing TESIII).

P.S. Currently 3 Yes and 3 No by my count (hit me with a stick if I missed one :D ).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:47 am 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

OblivionDuruza wrote:
mars wrote:

But people can't on current consoles. And I think a remake would be a nice segue into a new Morrowind game. Bethesda has done a lot to make the Dunmer lore-wise interesting for players, so why not use that.

The 360 doesn't run older games? :?

On company time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

mars wrote:
OblivionDuruza wrote:
mars wrote:

The 360 doesn't run older games? :?

Okay, point taken, but the argument still stands for the PS3 (which I think is better anyway). Also, I personally don't mind the skill system of Morrowind, apart from a few minor issues I think it works fine, but the remake wouldn't need to necessarily keep it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:38 am 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

Well people who get into ES with Skyrim will in a large number be more casual and wouldn't like Morrowinds system. Now a Morrowind with Skyrim mechanics wouldn't really be Morrowind but just a money maker.

On company time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:43 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

mars wrote:
Well people who get into ES with Skyrim will in a large number be more casual and wouldn't like Morrowinds system. Now a Morrowind with Skyrim mechanics wouldn't really be Morrowind but just a money maker.

But, it will introduce new fans to the lore of Morrowind and the amazing Dunmeri culture. I personally think the factions of Morrowind alone make it a better game than Oblivion and I hope Skyrim will go back to Morrowind in this regard.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:53 am 
Goatmom/Moderator
Goatmom/Moderator

OblivionDuruza wrote:
mars wrote:

But, it will introduce new fans to the lore of Morrowind and the amazing Dunmeri culture. I personally think the factions of Morrowind alone make it a better game than Oblivion and I hope Skyrim will go back to Morrowind in this regard.

I believe that if a fan is interested enough to learn the lore they could do with the original game. It's not that hard to get and low end PCs can run it these days.

On company time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:57 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

mars wrote:
OblivionDuruza wrote:
mars wrote:

I believe that if a fan is interested enough to learn the lore they could do with the original game. It's not that hard to get and low end PCs can run it these days.

But, will they be bothered enough for something they see as outdated to the point of being a dinosaur? A remake would be much more attractive for newer fans. Sometimes people don't know what they really want (deep down I'm sure you want a remake :lol:) so you have to give them a push in the right direction.