UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hlaalu Stronghold issue: 3rd fase won't complete?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:39 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind
Platform: PC
I'm done questing for House Hlaalu and have become the new Grandfather, so I figured I should complete my Stronghold. I finished the 2nd part some time ago. I got the quest from Dondos Driler and headed out to find a guard who could help me deal with the local bandits in the area. I tried several different methods, but none seemed to work and now I'm pretty annoyed:

1. I hired the guard and told him to watch my manor while I dealt with the bandits. UESP tells me that I should get a journal update saying that "the guard tells me the bandits are holding up in some cave to the south", yet this doesn't happen. I procede to track down the cave and realize that I have been there before in my early days and killed a few of the men (didn't have the levels to kill them all, as I recall). There are 3 bandits left though (including Maros Gimayn, who UESP claims to be the only essential person to kill) and they meet their maker after a few swings with my Sunder.
As I return to Dondos to get the party started he tells me that he'll pass the word and make arrangements to complete my Stronghold. It "should" be completed in a few days.
After 15 days of waiting I have yet to obtain a journal update and when visiting my manor, stage 3 doesn't even seem to have been engaged at all.

2. I figure that the journal updates have to be bugged and that everything will surely be fixed by loading and manually updating my journal with all needed entries. 250, 275 and 300 later Dondos tells me that my Stronghold should be finished and good-to-go. However, this is not the case, as my mansion is still stuck at phase 2.

3. "What the hell, let's try and do it the hard way" I think to myself as I, yet again, load the game and grab my newly rented guard just to pull him all the way over to the bandits' holdout. 30 minutes later we're there and start having a bash at the local cuisine. Maros drops dead and I happily await some kind of "We did it man, high five!" from my guard, but instead he just acts like nothing has happened. No journal entries, no "I'll get back to the manor myself, npnp", so I ditch him and teleport back to Balmora and give Dondos the go-ahead. He once again claims that the 3rd phase of my construction should have started now and that I just need to wait a couple of days. 20 days later I'm at the same state as I was in example nr. 1.

After bashing my head against the wall multiple times and throwing countless items out the window, I refuse to let this go at 4 AM and decide to search the web for similar situations. Countless of forumpages later I'm pretty damn tired of all the "boooh I can't get more than ONE stronghold I WANNA HAVE THREE!!!!" and figure I can just make a post myself. Hopefully people still read this forum, right?

So anyway, sorry for the wall of text. Everyone knows how [&@%!] everything becomes when you can't manage to get a single thing right =P

To anyone who can help: POST YOUR ANSWER AND GET MY ETERNAL AFFECTION!

(Or, if noone has ever seen this happen, at least share a possible console command to restore my stronghold to its full potential)

Post subject: Re: Hlaalu Stronghold issue: 3rd fase won't complete?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:13 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Sounds as if you have been messing with console commands and forgetting to run scripts that actually do the building. :)

Open the console and add these two lines

Journal HH_Stronghold 300
set Stronghold to 6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:46 pm 
Layman
Layman

Rohugh wrote:
Sounds as if you have been messing with console commands and forgetting to run scripts that actually do the building. :)

Open the console and add these two lines

Journal HH_Stronghold 300
set Stronghold to 6

Dude. I LOVE YOU!!! Thanks a gazillion times <3

Yeah I've put in some entries to my journal via the console and maaaaybe used it to get a full daedric set. Should that affect my Stronghold building process though? Sounds weird. Where did you learn that "set Stronghold" command anyway? Could anyone give me a link to a complete console list for Morrowind, including scripts? The UESP version doesn't seem to have it all.

Now, why won't the NPCs within the manor aknowledge me as their king... :/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:18 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Windows 7
Here's one list http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Console

I doubt it is complete, though. You can perhaps look in http://www.mwmythicmods.com/toolsgen.htm, they claim they have a complete list there. Haven't checked it, don't have the time or interest to do so. :wink:

But welcome to the Forum, Harralsan. Go say hello in Welcomes and Goodbyes, you won't feel lonely after that. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:26 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim + DLC
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: nosoundcomes (everywhere else - literally)
Not to sound like a horrible person or anything (s'wit though I am), but the way you wrote your post made me laugh Harralsan. :) Glad to see you found some help!

But! Be careful with the console: it is a tool of great power and destruction. It can get you out of the numerous bugs and glitches in the game, and even give you a few unique things and helpful hands if you like to use it for those greedy purposes, but it can interfere with dynamics and several mods, if mods are your thing. Use it wisely!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:24 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Windows 7
Avron the S'wit wrote:
Not to sound like a horrible person or anything (s'wit though I am), but the way you wrote your post made me laugh Harralsan. :) Glad to see you found some help!

But! Be careful with the console: it is a tool of great power and destruction. It can get you out of the numerous bugs and glitches in the game, and even give you a few unique things and helpful hands if you like to use it for those greedy purposes, but it can interfere with dynamics and several mods, if mods are your thing. Use it wisely!

Well said. You pretty well define UESP reasons to have CS commands, not to mention cheats, being given through spoilers, in cases they aren't directly forbidden. It's a magic wand, the touch of Midas, but it certainly can turn out very ugly...

Good comment, Avron, very good. Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:22 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Harralsan wrote:

Dude. I LOVE YOU!!! Thanks a gazillion times <3

Thank you - I think? :shock:

Quote:
Yeah I've put in some entries to my journal via the console and maaaaybe used it to get a full daedric set. Should that affect my Stronghold building process though? Sounds weird. Where did you learn that "set Stronghold" command anyway? Could anyone give me a link to a complete console list for Morrowind, including scripts? The UESP version doesn't seem to have it all.

Now, why won't the NPCs within the manor aknowledge me as their king... :/

Unfortunately the majority of sites (like the Wiki) will list the journal entries but often there is a lot more that goes with each entry - moving NPCs, giving rewards, faction/NPC reputations and starting scripts - those are not listed and many times essential to being able to move on and complete future quests.

Really the only way to ensure you are entering the correct information in the console is to gain a working knowledge of the Construction Set and look up the required entries for each stage of quest entries - and indeed what is required for those quests to be a success.

The NPCs won't acknowledge you as their "king", only greet you as Grandmaster once you reach that rank.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:51 am 
Novice
Novice

I hope nobody thinks me a necromancer but I hate to see this "use the console dude" type of stuff and people read it thinking there's a glitch in the game that requires the console to bypass.

This is what went wrong in the first place. In order to get the journal entry you're missing you must first ask Fjorgier to "Fight with me", that is what triggers the journal entry. After that, you can tell him to "Guard this spot", go kill the leader of the bandits and Almsivi back to get your 3rd stage started. If you've already killed the guy, so much the better. Fjorgier doesn't know that and you will still get the prompt to "fight together". You don't actually have to mention guard against bandits to him.