UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Starting new characters and DLC/Chapters
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:00 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
When I bought ESO I got the Morrowind chapter plus the "Guilds and Glory" DLC package, so I've only ever seen the Morrowind beginning when starting a character, where you're captured by slavers and must escape from Firemoth Island. And if I understand correctly, with the Summerset chapter there's a different beginning, but I haven't started another new character yet to see.

Is there a way to disable specific DLCs and chapters when playing ESO, such that I could start a new character and see the beginning as though I don't have Morrowind and Summerset? I know that this is possible with TES games, and I actually think it makes sense to enable the official add-ons in the order they were released-- so that, for example, you don't break out of your cell in the Imperial City and start looking for a way out of the sewers, only to have a mysterious stranger thrust a note in your hand saying you've just inherited a castle or whatever. "Huh? How did you find me in here? And can you show me the way out?" I'd love to be able to start a character and experience the original introductory quest/storyline, if that's at all possible. Or would I basically need to buy the base ESO game by itself under a new account?

Post subject: Re: Starting new characters and DLC/Chapters
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:25 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 5
Afraid not, at least not that I've known.

However, if you want to know what the "base" beginning is, I will tell you that you'll experience it in the post Chapters quest once you return to your alliance territory. Something about meeting a shady man in a hood (because there's nothing suspicious about that). The quest and experience after the cut scene, which is you in the Wailing Prison, was exactly how the game began before the Chapter beginnings. So, if you're worried about missing anything, it's fair to say you aren't.

You encounter the quest starter at any point regardless of where you are in Morrowind or Summerset as well, so you can go about it at whatever pace and timing you'd like!

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:32 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, Mac, iPad
Other Profiles: SeaGtGruff (Steam), TinklyGosling47 (Xbox)
UESPoints: 20
So if I want to play the game in its original order, as soon as I'm rescued from the sea and questioned by the authorities in Morrowind-- or whatever the corresponding intro is in Summerset-- I should say, "To Oblivion with this, Morrowind/Summerset isn't the friendly vacation spot I was led to believe," take the first boat back to the starting zone for my alliance... and promptly have my soul shriven from me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 5
Pretty much... Azura can wait. ;)

Little is affected. You do have a few characters who have a few different lines, since the order you met them is changed, but otherwise, yup... It's the same!

Although personally, I think Morrowind presents the best starter zone when I compare it to my experience with base game and Summerset. But I may be biased.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes