UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC

After having watched the Quake-Con Live Stream, what is your attitude toward TES:O?
Impressed 53%  53%  [ 19 ]
Disappointed 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Still Unsure 47%  47%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Impressions Poll
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:27 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
So, the stream is done, and soon we'll likely all have seen it...so, how are you feeling toward TES:O?

Post subject: Re: Impressions Poll
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:33 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Skyrim, oblivion
To be honest I couldn't be more excited. I've never been a big mmo guy, but I think this one will be a game changer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:55 pm 
Warder
Warder

UESPoints: 1
I'm with Toki.
Never played an MMO, but I'll certainly go for TESO.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:12 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It rhymes, so it must be true :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: I-V + DLC
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 4
I'm not expecting it to be anything like they're advertising it. They [&@%!] half of Skyrim's features before release, and then included the game literally half finished (And yes, I'm well aware Bethesda isn't making it. Because Zenimax is it only means it'll be more rushed, since the publisher is solely in control of it), so I won't be expecting anything that good. If it is good, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:55 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, PC, STD
Other Profiles: Gamertag: MightyGo0dLeadr
UESPoints: 15
Looked like an Elder Scrolls game that you can play with friends, so that's good.

Graphics are good.
There are books!
First person & third.
Ability morphs sound interesting.

Should be fun!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:08 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Steam: orthanq
While the game looked great, once the combat started I was a bit disappointed. It just doesn't look to me like combat I want to be doing for hours and hours.

Also, did anyone see EverQuest Next on Quakecon? Now THAT looks like an MMO I might invest a lot of time in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:07 am 
Champion
Champion

Platform: PC (Morrowind, Oblivion) PS3 (Skyrim)
I was definitely impressed, especially the whole leading the goblins against the dreugh thing. It really felt like a quest from Skyrim or Oblivion. And visually the game looks great, I'm loving the art style they chose.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:27 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ES Games: Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends
UESPoints: 7
I think it looks really good - especially the visuals. The more I see of it, the more excited I get.

Twitch channel: Offline

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:42 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: IV: GOTY, V: DG, HF, DB
Platform: PC (IV, V) & PS3 (V)
It definitely looks impressive and I'm probably going to get it, but some aspects are too "MMO" to me. (such as the horse just disappearing, and the fast travel looking like teleportation rather than a fade to black ... that just ruins immersion to me, but I guess that isn't high on their list. I guess I'll still have Skyrim for that.) I just don't know if they'll be able to pull of the feel of "Elder Scrolls, but with other players" when everyone is like. . . doing MMO things. If that makes sense. :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:11 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

I thought that the wayshrines were a good, lore-friendly way to go for fast travel. The horse disappearing and reappearing was a little strange, but since I'll play a mage I'll probably pretend it's a conjured horse. :P

I liked the minimalist HUD and the fact you couldn't hurt allies.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:15 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: 1, 2, 3 & Tactics
I am not loving the graphics, but the idea of being able to venture through Tamriel with a friend is just utopian.

“I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally. ”
"Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:31 am 
Champion
Champion

Platform: PC (Morrowind, Oblivion) PS3 (Skyrim)
Witchery wrote:
It definitely looks impressive and I'm probably going to get it, but some aspects are too "MMO" to me. (such as the horse just disappearing, and the fast travel looking like teleportation rather than a fade to black ... that just ruins immersion to me, but I guess that isn't high on their list. I guess I'll still have Skyrim for that.) I just don't know if they'll be able to pull of the feel of "Elder Scrolls, but with other players" when everyone is like. . . doing MMO things. If that makes sense. :P

I know what you mean. There wil be so many player dancing or yelling "UR MOM" that it will definitely ruin the immersion. I feel like I want to play this game not for the social aspects but for exploring all of Tamriel.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:51 am 
Master
Master

Mr.Argonian wrote:
Witchery wrote:

I know what you mean. There wil be so many player dancing or yelling "UR MOM" that it will definitely ruin the immersion. I feel like I want to play this game not for the social aspects but for exploring all of Tamriel.

Definitely! Exploring the entirety of Tamriel is just too good to pass up. I feel like I'll be doing my own thing the whole time, though :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:56 am 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

Or you could have some followers that know what they're doing and don't get in your way...>_>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:00 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm genuinely impressed, there were a few things that I can see non-MMO players having issues with such as the slightly off hit-boxes and lack of standard enemy recoil that make the combat seem somewhat disconnected, but aid in MMOs (Having multiple keep an enemy recoiling every second would be an issue).

I love that ZOS paid enough attention to things such as teleport graphics and pointing your bow up when firing a bombard style attack that could have been easily overlooked. Movement animations (Running, dodging) weren't bad, but bow shots are just too fast and I'm not fond of some of the weapon swings.

The horses could use the teleport or ride off into the sunset treatment (Run a few meters then disappear), but obviously can't operate the same as the single player games as mounts in MMOs are set as just graphical changes rather than its own entity since it would bog down servers.

I really liked the character models and creation system, particularly since I was expecting a pretty close copy of Rift's system, with customization almost being too much, but this is TES and it works for the series. The Nord male and Dunmer have a strong Morrowind feel to their art design (Which isn't a bad thing), coming close to feeling like if Bethesda had updated/remade Morrowind partway through Skyrim's development cycle.

Graphically amazing; when I first heard that ZOS was going to do stylized realism I thought, "Oh great, either cartoony WoW/Allods or uncanny valley filled with sparkles Rift?" but it looks fine to me. Though some of the spell and ability effects are a little too showy and make me wonder what Cyrodiil battles are going to look like..

The soft lock system is great, it clearly displays who you're aiming at, whether they're dead or not, and the aura effect is perfect for first person PoV

What blew me away was the skill lines, we'll literally have more customization options then we know what to do with; the Racial skill lines was completely unexpected and likely change any plans I had on race choice (curse the min-maxer in me!)...I wonder what the Khajiit ultimate ability is...

But the two things I really didn't like, the dialogue animations and the fact that goblins...don't look like the ones in Morrowind or Oblivion (very ape/troglodyte-like) but rather look like the typical fantasy goblins (aka green bandits). I'm really hoping that maybe they're using a placeholder model for humanoid enemies that they altered last minute for Quakecon and not the final model for goblins...

Last edited by Chaos the N'wah on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:13 am 
Master
Master

Musicman247 wrote:
Or you could have some followers that know what they're doing and don't get in your way...>_>

Wow, that sounds great! Let me know when you find someone. :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:00 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ES Games: Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends
UESPoints: 7
Mr.Argonian wrote:

I think I recall them saying at some point that there's something you can select to choose if you want to be in a game with people of a certain age, or in a certain region, or who prefer to roleplay, and such.

Twitch channel: Offline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:46 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

My only real concerns when watching that gameplay were that
1) for an MMO, we only saw other players in the instanced dungeon group (though this could've been pre-arranged)
2) The archery animations seemed halfhearted, though, based on interviews I have heard (I can't remember the source) and what we saw, it seems that the player was just tapping the mouse to fire, and that other times (which I hope is when he held it), his character held her bow upright, and we saw her really draw on the arrow- I'll just have to wait and see if I'm right there.
3) Hit detection didn't seem to be all there, but then they have plenty of time to fix that.
4) We didn't get to see how communication works between players, though it was confirmed in a recent Ask Us Anything it wasn't going to be through speech bubbles

Otherwise, I was loving the skill lines, the HUD (or lack thereof) and the story behind the dungeon. It really did seem to be fitting as an ES game, literally, ES with Friends.

Now give me some Bosmer info, Zenimax/Bethesda!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:07 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
Abel wrote:
While the game looked great, once the combat started I was a bit disappointed.

Yeah. Well. It's the Elder Scrolls, man.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:37 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: Xbox: SargentLipton35
A few animations might need some work, but the fact that before he teamed up with his party it looked like a full fledged Elder Scrolls game, then it even got more interesting when the party raided a dungeon and it required teamwork. I am very impressed with what I saw, and the most excited I have been for it since that Alliances trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:27 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
Still unsure. I mean my opinions have changed from it is probably going to be rubbish to it is probably going to be meh. Back when I first heard of it the game did just sound like your standard MMO that wanted to be WOW. I'll admit, it does look more like the Elder Scrolls now. I'm now planning on getting the game for PS4, whenever I get a PS4 anyway. Probably be next Summer. I'll get it pretty much because it is an Elder Scrolls game. Play it as a Breton Spellswordy character, see what it is like. Really hope it is just buy to play rather than a subscription service.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:53 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Impressions from a panel of fan sites following ESO: http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth.com/2013/08/09/eso-all-stars-episode-3/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:53 am 
Layman
Layman

Still unsure. I mean my opinions have changed from it is probably going to be rubbish to it is probably going to be meh. Back when I first heard of it the game did just sound like your standard MMO that wanted to be WOW. I'll admit, it does look more like the Elder Scrolls now. I'm now planning on getting the game for PS4, whenever I get a PS4 anyway. Probably be next Summer. I'll get it pretty much because it is an Elder Scrolls game. Play it as a Breton Spellswordy character, see what it is like. Really hope it is just buy to play rather than a subscription service.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:11 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind
Honestly, I hope that the PVP isn't mandatory. If there is one thing I dislike in games, it is competitions between players. It usually just causes fights/rage.

Also, I hope they bring back the Oblivion/Morrowind leveling system.