UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Steam won't Connect. Game crash!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:37 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY and Skyrim for PC &PS3
Platform: PC, PS3
UESPoints: 0
Is anyone else having trouble with steam by any chance? Yesterday it connected just fine. Now it won't connect and my internet is working just fine.
This is also causing my game to crash (error: failed to enumerate subscribed files) and it's really [&@%!] me off!

Post subject: Re: Steam won't Connect. Game crash!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:37 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox
Other Profiles: Creator Of All (Xbox)
I'm not sure of this, but I would suggest trying to play it offline for a while, then try again later.

Maybe Steam is just having a tanty.

Like I said though, I'm not sure if that helps at all. I don't use Steam.

I somehow feel that if the mods were all gods.. Believe would surely be the God of Awesome and Booze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:25 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Unfortunately, you HAVE to run Steam to play any Steam game, and Skyrim is distributed ONLY as a Steam game. Although once you manage to get Steam to connect and verify your game files, you can switch it to off-line mode and play to your heart's content. All you'll miss is the occasional Steam client update and game updates (auto-patching).

Although with Bethesda's record for borking patches and requiring a patch to patch the previous patch, plus the need to update SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) and any SKSE plugins every time Skyrim is updated, I prefer to set Skyrim's Steam Properties to "Do not automatically update this game". I don't like NOT having a choice whether to install a patch or not. I'm leaving Steam in off-line mode until I see a Skyrim patch changelog that actually DOES have a major number of quest fixes, not just the occasional "stability and memory optimisation" fixes they're dribbling out. In other words, no patching until Bethesda actually get around to fixing what matters to the gamer. The GAMEPLAY, i.e. the QUESTS!

Until then, I refuse to even play Skyrim. Games are supposed to be stress-relieving and fun to play. Skyrim is the exact opposite. Picking your way through a minefield wondering WHEN (not IF) your foot will get blown off is stress-INDUCING. And it's no fun wondering whether any action you take now will trigger a bug that won't manifest its effects until hundreds of hours later, resulting in reloading or even restarting from scratch with all those hours wasted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:00 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

It works fine now. Just wouldn't connect then for some reason. Tried playing off-line but it kept crashing with "error: Failed to enumerate subscribed files".
I miss the good old days when you could play without steam. *sigh*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:02 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox
Other Profiles: Creator Of All (Xbox)
Oh well, good to hear it fixed itself.

Steam sucks.

I somehow feel that if the mods were all gods.. Believe would surely be the God of Awesome and Booze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well. I have even bigger problems now and am going to reinstall skyrim. Fun! -.-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, 360
H8Ball wrote:
Unfortunately, you HAVE to run Steam to play any Steam game, and Skyrim is distributed ONLY as a Steam game. Although once you manage to get Steam to connect and verify your game files, you can switch it to off-line mode and play to your heart's content. All you'll miss is the occasional Steam client update and game updates (auto-patching).

Although with Bethesda's record for borking patches and requiring a patch to patch the previous patch, plus the need to update SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) and any SKSE plugins every time Skyrim is updated, I prefer to set Skyrim's Steam Properties to "Do not automatically update this game". I don't like NOT having a choice whether to install a patch or not. I'm leaving Steam in off-line mode until I see a Skyrim patch changelog that actually DOES have a major number of quest fixes, not just the occasional "stability and memory optimisation" fixes they're dribbling out. In other words, no patching until Bethesda actually get around to fixing what matters to the gamer. The GAMEPLAY, i.e. the QUESTS!

Until then, I refuse to even play Skyrim. Games are supposed to be stress-relieving and fun to play. Skyrim is the exact opposite. Picking your way through a minefield wondering WHEN (not IF) your foot will get blown off is stress-INDUCING. And it's no fun wondering whether any action you take now will trigger a bug that won't manifest its effects until hundreds of hours later, resulting in reloading or even restarting from scratch with all those hours wasted.

It's safe to assume that the biggest messes are going to be cleaned up over time by the dedicated fan-base, not Bethesda. My hat is off to those individuals who take it upon themselves to tackle the unprofessional and sloppy products of "professional" game developers. These brave-hearts have done more to make Bethesda's offerings function in the way they were intended than Bethesda ever has.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]