UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sticky Keys?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:16 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Redguard, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
I'm trying to figure out something here. I've had this happen to me when playing a lot of games that use the WASD for movement. It's happened in Oblivion, Half Life 2, Portal and Portal 2, and many other games, and now Skyrim.

Sometimes, very random it seems, when I let go of the W key after walking forward for a while, I keep moving forward! I can't change direction, nor stop. Hitting other keys seems to do nothing, then I'll hear a "BEEP" on my sound, and just after that, I stop moving forward. As you can imagine, this is BAD especially up in the mountains and there is a hair pin turn up ahead!

My keyboard is clean (I keep it that way), and I do not have this issue except with games (for example while typing posts, the W key does not physically get stuck).

Can anyone tell me why it's doing this to me?

I can say, that I never used to have this problem until I upgraded to Windows 7 a long time ago.

Post subject: Re: Sticky Keys?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, 360
Well, if your character sometimes continues to move after a key is released, it means the movement command is still active. Kinda does point to an intermittently sticking key. Could be a dirt issue, regardless of how clean you believe the keyboard is, or it could be a mechanical wear issue, especially if the key is used a lot and/or you have a tendency to press hard on the keys. (Things just aren't as robust these days as they used to be in the days of cast iron typewriters. And, when typing, you probably aren't pressing the keys as hard as when you're game-playing, which might explain the lack of typing trouble with that key.)

If you have another PC or a spare keyboard at home, try swapping the keyboard to see if it makes a difference. Failing that, new keyboards are very economically priced these days. They're practically considered disposable/consumable, so it doesn't hurt to have a good spare one on hand anyway.

As for the Windows 7 thing, I'd be inclined to consider that a coincidence of timing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:54 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

UESPoints: 4
Are you sure it's not lag?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:44 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Redguard, Oblivion, Skyrim
addictedtomorrowind wrote:
Are you sure it's not lag?

No, as it happens in like Oblivion where even with everything turned up, I get an insane amount of FPS. Same for other games. Skyrim is the first game I've gotten to slow me down, heh.

Evil-i may be right. I've had this keyboard for about 4 years now. When it get's dirty, it get's taken apart and cleaned well.

I miss my old 102 keyboard I had with my ancient 286 computer. The keys on it had the same feel as a IBM Selectric type writter. But I do love the way my wife's keyboard looks....the keys are all lit up and everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:05 pm 
Warder
Warder

Happens to me in Battlefield 3 from time to time but without the beep. Suddenly all the mouse movement that has occurred in the period of being unable to interact with my PC happens all at once and I find myself looking at my feet or something in control of my character again. Very weird. Doesn't happen to me in Skyrim though so I'm afraid I can't help you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:17 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, alittle of Marrowwind and now ESO
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / PS5
it could be that your holding the W down so long, that it is building up in memory to go forward, that when you let go, it hasnt caught up yet and is still purging itself, hence your still going forward without touching it. the reaction between the game and the computer is off, causing a delay.

Quote of the Week =

"Writers don't get mad they get even in their novels."
― Candace C. Bowen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:57 pm 
Mod On Leave
Mod On Leave

Platform: Xbox, PC, STD
Other Profiles: Gamertag: MightyGo0dLeadr
UESPoints: 15
Are you sure you're not accidentally pressing the "C" key (auto-walk)?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:04 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Platform: Xbox, 360
Blackhawk Vegal wrote:
it could be that your holding the W down so long, that it is building up in memory to go forward, that when you let go, it hasnt caught up yet and is still purging itself, hence your still going forward without touching it. the reaction between the game and the computer is off, causing a delay.

This makes all the sense in the world. Doesn't the "BEEP" occur when the command queue is full and you try to input more commands?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:11 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivian, Morrowind,
Platform: PC Only.
DeeJay wrote:
I'm trying to figure out something here. I've had this happen to me when playing a lot of games that use the WASD for movement. It's happened in Oblivion, Half Life 2, Portal and Portal 2, and many other games, and now Skyrim.

Sometimes, very random it seems, when I let go of the W key after walking forward for a while, I keep moving forward! I can't change direction, nor stop. Hitting other keys seems to do nothing, then I'll hear a "BEEP" on my sound, and just after that, I stop moving forward.

I'm pretty sure he isn't pressing the auto-move button. That doesn't lock your controls down. Plus the fact that it happens in other games.
Once I upgraded to W7, I noticed (in all my games) that sometimes the computer just issues a bunch of commands without my permission (really irritated me when I was selling books in Skyrim, then suddenly everything changes, I'm in my weapons menu, and my Magus Staff had been sold >.<).

My un-educated guess would be something involving W7, however.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]