UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Skyrim Character Steaming
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 369, PC
Topic is very literal, I was doing a quest and my xbox froze, when I rebooted my character was steaming, I filmed my character when I got back to Whiterun but I can't post it on here, I thought it might be the armour he was wearing but it clearly isn't since he's naked here:

I hope that it isn't something quest related that I'm wasting my time with but it just seems so weird, the only effect is aesthetic, it makes no noise and has no negative effects other than the annoyance of steam and sparks.

Anyone any ideas?

To watch the video type [ /watch?v=Ul-trpJs_N8 ] after youtube's URL (I hope that's allowed I'm fairly new on here)

Update: The steaming has ended, but I have no idea how but I'm not complaining :mrgreen:

Update 2: it came back :cry:

Last edited by Scozzar on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mMerged posts. Use the edit button

Post subject: Re: Skyrim Character Steaming
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:54 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind; Oblivion; Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360 , PC
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe your character has contracted vampirism and is actually burning in the sunlight? I caught the beginnings of the disease several times in my short time playing, but unless I paid close attention, there was no way that I would have suspected it. You can check it out under active spell effects. See if you have vampirism or some weird disease. Gulp a cure disease potion and see if that changes anything?

...Or is could be a really crazy bug. It's almost comical.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:42 am 
Champion
Champion

You're an [Argonian] Dwarven Centurion! (Fight spoilers, I guess)
Weirdest bug ever. lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:33 pm 
Layman
Layman

Vampirism would make sense, but there's no unwanted active effects present, the steaming happens 24/7 and indoors, and I've drunk cure disease/poision potions and been to shrines, slept, waited, become a werewolf and back, but to no avail.

Although the steaming stops when a werewolf.

It was comical at first but when fighting a dragon and you look up whilst running backwards you can't see the winged beastie for steam.

Actually, it does look a LOT like the steam from a dwarven centurion...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:42 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind; Oblivion; Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360 , PC
It's gotta be some kind of crazy bug... I wish I could help!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 am 
Layman
Layman

Platform: PC
I'm having the same problem with my character. I was in Blackreach underground when mine started. I have no active effects. Same as OP, I have tried sleeping, shrines, removing all non-quest items from inventory, etc. Anyone else seen this problem or know how to solve it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:51 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PS3
I heard about someone else having this problem and, much like cancer or AIDS, I thought "ha, that sucks. It'll never happen to me."

Welp, it's happened. I reloaded to the point where I didn't have it and tried to see what triggered it. I used my Aura Whisper shout and that activated it, including a couple messages in the upper left of the screen saying "was unequipped" twice. I reloaded and tried using Become Ethereal and nothing happened. Then I used Aura Whisper again and it happened again. Mind you, I'm in Blackreach as this is happening. I reloaded, walked into the debate hall from which I came out and used Aura Whisper. Nothing happened. I walked back out of the debate hall into blackreach. Used Aura Whisper again and it caused the steam once again. The steam doesn't go away when entering another area.

Hope that helps someone out there who's able to come up with ways to eliminate this. Meanwhile, I'm reporting it to Bethesda.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:47 pm 
Layman
Layman

It seems that ErikFace and I have similar triggers. I was in Blackreach using Aura Whisper as well when the steaming started.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:31 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
I also got this bug from using Aura Whisper in Blackreach, and i'm 99.9% sure it's the particle effects from a dwarven centurion. I can even see some distortion around where the centurion's model would be in relation to my character's pose.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:03 pm 
Layman
Layman

Platform: Xbox 360
I was reading the forums here and noticed there is definitely a trend and the steaming character definitely has something to do with Blackreach and Aura Whisper because it just happened to me and it sucks...... and nothing works to fix it =/ hate to say it but i just may go back to a save way before this just to get rid of it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:31 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Skyrim
Okay, I am another victim. I used Aura Whisper while in Blackreach and got the centurion steam effect. I can confirm that it is a centurion effect because I am using a mod that allows me to have a centurion as a follower and when he is standing next to me it becomes obvious that is the effect appearing. Any fixes for this bug?

Edit: I actually went back to a save midway through Blackreach before the effect appeared and played out the rest of the quest without using that shout. The effect did not return.

Last edited by Infinity_Dov on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:58 pm 
Warder
Warder

Platform: Xbox 360
LOL!!!

You just made my day!

Hidden:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:03 am 
Layman
Layman

It seems using Aura Whisper in Blackreach is the cause, I'm forever using Aura whisper and I was in Blackreach when it happened.

It has stopped for me now however, as I was going through the main quest, I don't know exactly when or where I was but I believe I had just gotten the Clear Skies shout(s), so I'd suggest use that a few times if you have it, other than that I have no idea how it cured/stopped.

Since it stopped I've been into blackreach and have used Aura Whisper and it didn't happen again so whenever it does happen it appears to be a one time occurence.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:24 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: morrowind, oblivion
Platform: xbox360
I guess I joined the steam glitch. Damn. Whwn you turn around fast it doesnt let you see clearly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:24 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: morrowind, oblivion
Platform: xbox360
I have one update on the topic... I you become a werewolf and use your transformation if you keep tha 3rd person camera, the steam will be gone after you come back to normal
... if you change camera once, the steam will reappear. If you load your game, the steam wilkl reappear too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:31 pm 
Layman
Layman

This also happened to me, but I wasn't in Blackreach. I am an Argonian, and I was using Aura Whisper, but I was in Bthardamz. I killed a Dwarven Centurion and didn't notice the steam effect on me until later. :( I reloaded to a save from before I killed the Centurion, and I'm going to see if killing it but NOT using Aura Whisper until I get out will keep this from happening. Someone said that player.addspell 00030fbe, then player.removespell 00030fb will fix the problem. I tried this, and it did not work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:03 am 
Layman
Layman

Happened to me miles from Blackreach.

Happened to me on Solstheim. Specifically in (spoiler alert) the dwemer ruins to the south east that operate like a Legend of Zelda water temple. Awesome tip of the hat on Bethesda's part by the way! Anyways, while following the master wizard around the ruin, and after facing several Centurions, I might add, I found myself steaming. I rather like it though, as my character is a Nord pyromancer with fire obsessions, so it works REALLY well! Anyway, it probably has something to do with centurions, but I'm not sure what or how to fix it.

Oh, and by the way, this character never used Aura Whisper, so that's out. In fact, I'm the kind of guy who forgets he has shouts and powers. I'm pretty sure I never ended up using any through the entire dungeon...

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Arena, Oblivion (5th Ann; PS3 + PC, GoTY; PS3), Skyrim (All Expansions; PS3)
Platform: Playstation 3, PC
Feed your hungry characters and stop eating those Dwemer scrap metals, they have no use and certainly should not be consumed!

Thunderscreamer (^), what triggered it if it wasn't Aura Whisper? Does Detect Life have the same bugged affect as this?