UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Better Companions Guild
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:25 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox
UESPoints: 0
This one: I messed up the schedule timing at 12-5 instead of 12-3
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/187/2/0/corrected_schedule_by_deadarmour-d56737a.jpg
Does it look all right in game or should I make a board at a higher resolution?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 6
Higher resolution would look better.

Also, it looks a bit weird to have a board with just a wooden back, so did you want another board facing the other way? Or maybe some banners? If you want another board, then I'd need whatever image should go on that one, too.

I won't have time to get to it til tonight though.

Edit: One more thing. What folders are you using for your assets? As in, Data\textures\YourModName\chalk.dds etc. (I'm asking so I can just hand you the meshes without you having to change the texture paths).

My Skyrim mods:
Saturalia * Babette's Feast * Additional Amulets * Noble Female Clothes

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:39 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Cool I'll get drawing it up ;P

Yes please, could I have the board facing inwards? With banners on the outside would look cool :) Maybe have to move the barrels n stuff out the way to make room, but I guess I can do that my end when I get it. Oh yeah, would it be possible to make the wood of the board match the support beams? (not patterned but the same colour).

Might as well show these, looks like the last supper 8)

I had to move them around so that people who talk to each other were sat close together (else they would get up out of their chair to go talk).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, I haven't added any new assets to the game yet, so I don't have a folder.
Should I make one? (I'm guessing yes ;D).
Would it be the case that the new assets and textures are both in the same folder, or different?

Thanks a lot :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:00 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

For my mods, I always make just two asset folders. For example, if this were my mod, and it were called "Better Companions Guild" then I would make folders like this:

Data\textures\BetterCompanionsGuild\ (for all textures)
Data\meshes\BetterCompanionsGuild\ (for all meshes)

Some people choose to do more complex folder structures, where you might see things like:
Data\meshes\clutter\BetterCompanionsGuild\chalk.nif
Data\meshes\architecture\whiterun\BetterCompanionsGuild\chalkboard.nif

I dislike the latter approach, because it makes it harder to keep track of where all of your files are, which can lead to you forgetting about files when it comes time to package it all up.

I haven't tried creating new images for inside of books or for updating menu elements in Skyrim, but in Oblivion, stuff like that required a different folder structure. Since you aren't doing any of that at the moment, it doesn't matter :D

My Skyrim mods:

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:19 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Double post!

Here's what I threw together:

Spoiler:

Note: if it looks like part of the frame is a lot more orange colored than the rest of the wood, that's because the back porch of jorrvaskr has slots cut into the roof, and sunlight looks funny shining through it. The color of the wood is all the same. Also, I scooted over the barrels a bit, which made the bowl of carrots fall down. The mod I made is just a sample of what you can do with the meshes, anyway. Once I send it to you, I'll send you a detailed explanation of everything.

Just let me know what folder names you want and PM me an email address where I can send you all of the files.

My Skyrim mods:

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:22 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: I-V
Platform: PS3, PC
So when
Spoiler:
Skjor dies,
I guess you will put in the Player's name, or is that too tough because of randomness.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:39 am 
Initiate
Initiate

Deandra wrote:
Spoiler:

Looks awesome! :)

Hey are the banners a part of the mesh, or you just copy pasted them there?
I thought maybe have one of the big brown shields instead (just to see what it looks like), if it's not too much hassle ;P (like the ones you see on the walls inside Jorrvaskr).

Sent you pm with new board texture

Br3admax wrote:
So when
Spoiler:
Skjor dies,
I guess you will put in the Player's name, or is that too tough because of randomness.

I think that might be a bit complicated. I mean, you could change the texture after a certain point, but the player's name could be anything... You'd have to create some kinda alphabet and get it to recognise the player's name etc and I've got no idea how to do that ha ;D

---

I thought of something else this morning; I think I know how to get the npcs to fight each other (copy from the punch up between athis/njada, then add weapons but check do no damage). Could make like... put a bunch of stones in a circle/sandy floor, restrict where the npcs can move, and have a place where the npcs spar with each other.

Friends coming round today so not gonna be able to get much done :roll: :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:24 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I just put regular banners there. You can put whatever you like in the back.

My Skyrim mods:

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Awesome, it's in the game :) Thanks a lot, I'll make sure to credit you when the mod is finished.

Recorded a video, but it's pretty crappy; I messed up with the recording (frame rate). However, it shows a little about what I've been able to do, though it's not perfect yet.

YouTube Link
Oh yeah, I noticed that the wood of the chalk board is brighter and also shiny, so I think it might be to do with the specular map.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

That's looking very nice! :D

Hmm, I didn't notice the wood being particularly shiny, but if that's the case, it might be because of how I compressed the normal maps. I can take a look at it.

My Skyrim mods:

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:28 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Deandra wrote:
That's looking very nice! :D

Hmm, I didn't notice the wood being particularly shiny, but if that's the case, it might be because of how I compressed the normal maps. I can take a look at it.

Cool :)

Update]
Completed everyone's training routines

Jon is now a working bard who plays to the companions at dinner time (you can make requests), but I haven't figured out how to make him play when idle yet (he can do the lute/drum/flute idle animations, but no sound comes out).

Changed the music in the Jorrvaskr to tavern style, more lively.

Been trying to get Farkas' outfit to work after he changes into a werewolf, but can't figure it out. I made a new outfit with a different name and applied it to him, but he still changes back to iron :(

Increased Njada Stonearm's weight to 100 to make her arms bigger (can't get much bigger than skinny, so it's barely noticeable).

Changed Kodlak's weapon back to warhammer because when he dies he has it by his side. Torvar to battleaxe for variety and it was one of the types he said he likes.

Athis talks about wielding shortswords, yet none exist in the game. Perhaps I can convince the guy who made the shortsword mod to let me use his stuff ;P Only one way to find out.

Last edited by Deadarmour on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:32 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Deadarmour wrote:
Athis talks about wielding shortswords, yet none exist in the game. Perhaps I can convince the guy who made the shortsword mod to let me use his stuff, but I doubt it ;P

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18585
The Mod's Readme wrote:
Other modders are free to use these swords for own modding projects. Just make sure to give proper credit please.

If you want to use those, I'd highly recommend making your own copies to put into your mod, so that it doesn't conflict if people have both mods.

My Skyrim mods:

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:13 am 
Initiate
Initiate

Deandra wrote:
Deadarmour wrote:
Athis talks about wielding shortswords, yet none exist in the game. Perhaps I can convince the guy who made the shortsword mod to let me use his stuff, but I doubt it ;P

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18585
The Mod's Readme wrote:
Other modders are free to use these swords for own modding projects. Just make sure to give proper credit please.

If you want to use those, I'd highly recommend making your own copies to put into your mod, so that it doesn't conflict if people have both mods.

The Mod's Readme wrote:

Ahhhhhh.... I didn't read this till now ;P If I have time today I'll get right on it.
Then I gotta figure out brawling, sparring and npc's sparring.
Then quests :O

I found Farkas naked this morning with a set of wolf armour in his inventory, so I'm not sure if my outfit thing worked. Guess I'd have to wait a week in game to find out or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:07 am 
Initiate
Initiate

Update]

Created a skyforged steel bow and arrows, gave all of the companions a set aside from Aela.

Integrated the short swords mod into Companions guild mod; you can wield, craft, upgrade and buy the skyforged version from Eorlund.
However, you cannot buy any of the others from vendors (perhaps if I go around and give to each and every vendor like I did Eorlund), nor are they wielded or found within the game on enemies (only npc with them is Athis). Not sure what I'm doing wrong :P

I've been trying to integrate two other mods, but have yet to get permission (I am integrating just to save time while I wait for a response, if I don't get one by release I take em out).

Companions Wolf Armor and Ancient Nord Shields by QuickFox
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14827#content

Better steel arrows and quiver by Reisz
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/5821

Together, they look like this:

However, when I include the arrow mod stuff, it changes the texture of steel arrows as well (I only want it to change the look of the new Skyforged steel arrows), and when I try to take the shields and put them in my mod, they are invisible :(

Anyone got any idea about these problems?

Hopefully they can be sorted quick and I can get onto attempting brawling/sparring 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:25 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

While those arrows are nowhere near as awesome as the ranger arrows I made for another mod, I could make you some non-replacer versions of those arrows. The asset use permission on the nexus for both of the mods you're looking at is "You are allowed to use the assets in this file without permission as long as you credit me." You can see this by clicking the little circle, the next to last symbol on the line that says "Actions:" (it's between the disk icon and the icon that looks kind of like a ! and kind of like a bust of a person).

Or I could make you some with whatever color fletching you want.

As for the shield, I can't tell what's wrong without seeing what you're doing, sorry. How exactly are you trying to add them to your mod?

My Skyrim mods:

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:55 am 
Initiate
Initiate

Deandra wrote:
While those arrows are nowhere near as awesome as the ranger arrows I made for another mod, I could make you some non-replacer versions of those arrows. The asset use permission on the nexus for both of the mods you're looking at is "You are allowed to use the assets in this file without permission as long as you credit me." You can see this by clicking the little circle, the next to last symbol on the line that says "Actions:" (it's between the disk icon and the icon that looks kind of like a ! and kind of like a bust of a person).

Or I could make you some with whatever color fletching you want.

As for the shield, I can't tell what's wrong without seeing what you're doing, sorry. How exactly are you trying to add them to your mod?

Haha, you'd like to do them? ;D

I thought it'd be cool if the Skyforge quivver was darker (like the wolf armour), possibly with a wolf motif (like you have with the leaves). Perhaps this design could be found on the wolf wall (along the walls in the dungeons where you use claw keys).
The fletching of the arrows would be a pale yellowy grey/brown, a little bit brighter than the wolf armour, but of the same pallete

Really, it'd be cool if all the skyforge weapons were re-textured like:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/5050
Including the new warhammer, mace and bow, but I don't want to push my luck asking you to do things :lol:

Ahhhh I didn't even know that existed ;P I was reading through whole descriptions trying to find a mention of permission.

This is what I have been doing while trying a failing with shields:
Shields-
Attempt 1- I loaded the shield mod into the creation kit along with skyrim and update, while my mod was the active file. I renamed the shields and made new forms, exited the creationkit, loaded it up again with just my mod and renamed the shield back to what they were originally and gave them to Eorlund. -They were invisible

Attempt 2- I loaded the shield mod into the creation kit along with skyrim and update, while my mod was the active file. I renamed the shields and made new forms, I then dragged them into the world (they came up as big exclamation point signs in red boxes). Quit the mod, loaded mine up again- They were either invisible or didn't exist.

---

Had an idea.
When you join the circle of the companions guild, turn into a werewolf and find yourself naked...

Aela hands you the set of Wolf armour, to welcome you as a member.
Doesn't make any sense to me that you can just buy it from Eorlund as a new initiate, when Njada, Athis, Torvar and Ria have to make do with their own stuff.

Update] Made it so that if you attack a member of the guild, they all attack you (instead of whimpering in a corner and trying to pretend it's not happening ;P)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:03 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Changing just the colors of the arrows is easy, but doing a wolf motif would take me a while (like, a week or so). If you're not in a hurry, I can totally make it look cool :D

I'm not going to volunteer to redo all of the skyforge steel, sorry...

About the shields, it sounds like the meshes aren't where it's expecting them to be. That mod puts them in a BSA. I'll send you the files put into folders for your mod, but then you'll still need to go in to the shield objects and set the World Model to point to the new path. Just click on edit and browse to it.

My Skyrim mods:

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:13 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Deandra wrote:
Changing just the colors of the arrows is easy, but doing a wolf motif would take me a while (like, a week or so). If you're not in a hurry, I can totally make it look cool :D

I'm not going to volunteer to redo all of the skyforge steel, sorry...

About the shields, it sounds like the meshes aren't where it's expecting them to be. That mod puts them in a BSA. I'll send you the files put into folders for your mod, but then you'll still need to go in to the shield objects and set the World Model to point to the new path. Just click on edit and browse to it.

No problem, no hurry here :) (well, not for 7 weeks or so when I go to Uni ;P) That'd be awesome if you could create that for me :D

Haha, I don't blame you ;)

Thanks for the e-mail explaining all that stuff, it's a pain learning all this ;P Hopefully I can figure it out tonight and get the shields in by tomorrow.
The same guy who made that shield mod also made a new shield for the companions in a different mod, and I'd really like to put it in

Update]
Farkas now keeps and wears his wolf armour and skyforged steel sword after becoming a werewolf! :D Finally got it fixed...

Gave Aella a supple draugur bow (regular was less powerful than the skyforged bow), gives a reason for her to wield it.
So that's:
13 Damage- Skyforged Steel bow (same level as elven, the same as all the other skyforged weapons are in vanilla)
14 Damage- Supple Ancient Drauger bow

Been looking into brawling/sparring and it looks like I'll have to learn about making quests for them specifically, rather than copy/pasting.
I'm gonna get everything sorted with all the assets and little fiddly bits before I attempt that ;P

The making everyone in the guild attack you if you attack anyone in the guild fix isn't working. It only seems to apply to certain npc's whom everyone else is the "parent" of; not the other way around (a child will not defend a parent). I tried to rectify this by going though and making everyone the parent of everyone else, but when clicked on the relationships disappear/are overwritten by the previous relationship.
I'm thinking this may be because I set them all as sibling (including the new relationships), so they were seen as obsolete and removed. I thought about making different relationships for example cousin/uncle etc, but I would have to create a different set for every single npc :P Which just seems silly.
I thought about them being in a faction (so they should be allies), but this doesn't seem to have any effect either. All of them are set to help friends and allies.

Edit] I think I have it figured out, I will need two different types of relationship and I believe it will work if they don't disappear (though it will be an arduous process ;P).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:33 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Rough 1st pass:

Spoiler:

The quiver is a bit dark, but let me know if the fletching color and design look ok... it's hard to tell in the screenshot (and perhaps in general), but the shapes to the side of the wolf head are claw designs taken from the wolf murals. Also I didn't bother to make a nice normal map for it, which is why the quality looks awful (and the fact that I'm running bad graphics settings).

I'm not really happy with it, but I'm not sure how to make it look better from a design standpoint (obviously the quality needs a lot of work). The mural design in general doesn't have a shape that lends itself to going at the top of the quiver.

Edit: maybe I should leave the scrolled design on the top part, and add the wolf design to that, in the middle with some kind of blank border around it? I think that might actually look good.

My Skyrim mods:

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:15 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Deandra wrote:
Rough 1st pass:

Spoiler:

The quiver is a bit dark, but let me know if the fletching color and design look ok... it's hard to tell in the screenshot (and perhaps in general), but the shapes to the side of the wolf head are claw designs taken from the wolf murals. Also I didn't bother to make a nice normal map for it, which is why the quality looks awful (and the fact that I'm running bad graphics settings).

I'm not really happy with it, but I'm not sure how to make it look better from a design standpoint (obviously the quality needs a lot of work). The mural design in general doesn't have a shape that lends itself to going at the top of the quiver.

Edit: maybe I should leave the scrolled design on the top part, and add the wolf design to that, in the middle with some kind of blank border around it? I think that might actually look good.

Cool :)
I'm not sure how dark it is cus of the lighting, but I am liking how the leather looks (darker, desaturated)
The colour looks good, I think maybe a tad more yellow on the fletch.

I drew this up and thought maybe you could use it, but I don't know how to make the normals maps and stuff ;P so it's just the texture
Full size> http://minus.com/lbrdDYkbot9w1F

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:27 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I like the look of the Celtic knotwork, but that shape wouldn't be very easy to stretch onto the metal's surface.

If I give you an outline, could you fill it with a design? I'm at work now, but once I get home I could send it to you. Then I'd add it to the quiver's texture, edit it to make it look metallic, and take care of the normal and specular map.

My Skyrim mods:

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:40 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Yeah cool :) I'll try and get the shields in in the mean time ;P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:03 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Also, my version of photoshop is ancient so I'm not sure what file formats it'll be able to open (I use 6.0 from more than a decade ago and it's STILL a damn powerful piece of software), but it's a lot easier to create good normal maps if I get multiple layers to work with (like, with the bone? thing separated from the knot pattern, and maybe the knot/frame part without the scratches and metal effect which darkens it towards the center of the image. I'm not an artist or graphic designer, but the more information I have to work with, the easier it is for me.

Of course, I have no idea how you produce your artwork, and for all I know you could be drawing it out by hand and scanning it in :lol:

My Skyrim mods:

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:27 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Deandra wrote:
Also, my version of photoshop is ancient so I'm not sure what file formats it'll be able to open (I use 6.0 from more than a decade ago and it's STILL a damn powerful piece of software), but it's a lot easier to create good normal maps if I get multiple layers to work with (like, with the bone? thing separated from the knot pattern, and maybe the knot/frame part without the scratches and metal effect which darkens it towards the center of the image. I'm not an artist or graphic designer, but the more information I have to work with, the easier it is for me.

Of course, I have no idea how you produce your artwork, and for all I know you could be drawing it out by hand and scanning it in :lol:

Guessed correctly haha :P
Scanned it in then I'm using Painter to mess around with it and add textures. Pattern was from a photo of some old building.
Bone is a wolf skull, though my drawing got a bit squashed when I was resizing it ;P
reference:
Spoiler:

I've got it all in different layers so it shouldn't be a problem.
Can it open riff files? If not I'll send you them layer by layer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:25 am 
Initiate
Initiate

Update] Got Jon singing, playing by himself and taking requests. However, after playing one request he goes silent and merely mimics playing his instruments from then on (he can still be requested to perform ok).
This sorts itself out if you leave the Jorrvaskr hall and re-enter, but it's a bit annoying ;P

Corrected Torvar's grey face.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next