UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Does Skyrim have an Emperor?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:50 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena (finished), Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion (finished), Skyrim (Currently playing)
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: (BigSnake on the Official Bethesda forum) (Snake2009 on Nexus)
UESPoints: 1
Since this is about Skyrim and not TES in general I'm putting it here.

As I haven't played Skyrim yet, I'm curious about this. I know that the Emperor and his hairs dies in Oblivion and the Elder Council took power at the end of Oblivion's main quest.

So my question is, in Skyrim, is there a "stand-in" Emperor or is the Elder Council still in charge?

Don't worry about spoiling me with it. I don't care about that. I like spoilers. :)

Edit: Corrected typos

Last edited by Snake on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Does Skyrim have an Emperor?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:08 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: I-V
Platform: PS3, PC
UESPoints: 0
There's an Emperor. Titus Mede `II, a descendant of Titus Mede, no not his son, who took the Imperial City with less than a thousand men. The Empire is facing, let's just say, troubled times. Too put it so lightly we are comparing Jupiter to an atom.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:16 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena (finished), Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion (finished), Skyrim (Currently playing)
Oh OK. So they just stormed Cyrodiil? Damn! Gotta buy a new computer so I could play it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:21 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

He was from Cyrodiil, being a Colovian Warlord. He just stormed the Imperial City.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:39 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
Br3admax wrote:
There's an Emperor. Titus Mede `II, a descendant of Titus Mede, no not his son, ...

Indeed. As in the case of many royal titles, The "II" indicates that he was merely the second of the Mede emperors who took the name of Titus.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:02 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3
UESPoints: 2
You get to meet him briefly if you play the Dark Brotherhood quest.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:12 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
To elaborate further -

Skyrim is a province of the Empire. Skyrim does not have an Emperor. Tamriel has an Emperor. Emperor Titus Mede II rules from Cyrodiil. The Nords of Skyrim swear fealty to the Empire, and have for over a thousand years, but they have their own rulers. Each Hold is governed by a Jarl, who acts in much the same capacity as the Counts in Cyrodiil. The official military of Skyrim is the Imperial Legion, but each Jarl has a private security force wearing traditional Nordic armor, but with color coded scarves and painted shields to signify their Hold. The monarch of Skyrim is the High King, who acts as the mediator between the Emperor and the Jarls. Part of the conflict in the game Skyrim involves a civil war, as the most recent High King - Torygg - was murdered shortly before the events of the game by a rebel leader who wants to break Skyrim away from the Imperial rule it's known for a thousand years.

To fill in a bit more about what happened between Oblivion and Skyrim - only Skyrim, High Rock and Cyrodiil remain part of the Empire. The Aldmeri Dominion formed in opposition and tried to invade Hammerfell and Cyrodiil, and demanded the Imperials give up worship of Talos. They also murdered every Blades agent in Summerset, Valenwood and Elsweyr. After a long and bloody war, Talos worship was banned and Hammerfell was disowned by the Empire. Morrowind was ravaged by natural disasters and an invasion from Black Marsh, who had also left the Empire. A big population of refugee Dunmer live in Skyrim in the Fourth Era. Morrowind is not officially a part of the Empire any more, and its control has passed to House Redoran, who is rebuilding the cities damaged by volcanic eruptions. The Orcs had a pretty hard time, too. Shortly after the events of Oblivion, when the Empire was weakened, the Redguards and Bretons decided to team up and destroy Orsinium again. The survivors were evacuated by the Imperial Legion. It was recently rebuilt on the border of Hammerfell, but many Orcs scattered into the wilds and now live in tribal strongholds.

The Aldmeri Dominion didn't succeed in their invasions of Hammerfell and Cyrodiil, but the Empire was weakened a lot by the aftermath of the war, and the Thalmor who rule the Dominion now have embassies all across the Empire, and are pretty much bullying and coercing people into doing things their way. So yes, there's an Emperor but he's considered a lame duck by many. Tensions are high all over the Empire and people suspect the Elves could invade again at any time from their Dominion. Hammerfell stands alone, Morrowind is crippled and the Nords of Skyrim are bitterly opposed to the ban of Talos worship, as they greatly admired him as a man and a god of war. That's the setup of the game. (And as if things weren't bad enough, the dark god Alduin returns, in the form of a giant black dragon, and immediately destroys a town in central Skyrim).

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:24 am 
Undecided
Undecided

The Fighters' Guild is a nonentity in Skyrim (we get mead-swilling mercenaries who live in a capsized boat atop a small hill).

The Mages' Guild is disbanded (we get instead a magic College playing a game of architectual Jenga).

The Thieves' Guild is, well, dingy as usual.

And the Dark Brotherhood has little more than their long-passed reputation keeping them from a being common bandit gang. Good news is that help is on the way (the bad news is it's riding in on the back of what can best be described as a cross between Pee-Wee Herman and The Joker).

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:12 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Pilaf The Defiler wrote:
To elaborate further -

Skyrim is a province of the Empire. Skyrim does not have an Emperor. Tamriel has an Emperor.

I think the OP means The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim not Skyrim. Also if I'm not mistaken, he's still called the Emperor of Skyrim. I'd hardly say Tamriel has an Emperor either, since a good portion of it is not a part of the Empire.

On the part of Morrowind, I'm not sure where it was "officially" released, only that the Legion left; whereas Hammerfell was let go by treaty. If Morrowind was truly not a part of the Empire, I doubt the Emperor or the Elder Council would let Skyrim giveaway Solstheim, as the Raven Rock mines were not dry at that time and this would have been the only source of ebony they would have access to.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:09 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: daggerdall, morrowind, oblivion, skyrim
Platform: pc, xbox/360
I hate the fact that half of the provinces have broken away and the empire is in shambles in skyrim, its a direction im really not happy with in skyrim.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Yes, I meant The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim. Not the province of Skyrim in general. I guess I should have made that clearer. :s

Anyway, I was just curious if The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim game has a Emperor for the Empire or if the Elder Council was still in charge.

I got my answer though. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:00 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: xbox 360
Raynil dralas wrote:
I hate the fact that half of the provinces have broken away and the empire is in shambles in skyrim, its a direction im really not happy with in skyrim.

by the next game, all the provinces could be realigned with the empire, either by choice or force. of course they could set the next installment before instead of after Skyrim too, depending on what story they come up with for it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:17 am 
Undecided
Undecided

spin wrote:
Raynil dralas wrote:

by the next game, all the provinces could be realigned with the empire, either by choice or force. of course they could set the next installment before instead of after Skyrim too, depending on what story they come up with for it.

Or perhaps the other way around: the Empire is completely disintegrated when the next crisis unfolds.

Time and again, games of this sort are always about "saving the world" from something that is trying to "destroy" it. Why not turn this notion around: the world you're in is absolutely [&@%!], and you're to embark on a journey to break apart the old and start something new.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:15 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The more and more you break apart the Empire, the less of a common goal and reason to be there is present. It'd be foolish to remove the Empire just yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:02 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC (Morrowind, Oblivion), X360 (Skyrim)
Dark Spark wrote:
Time and again, games of this sort are always about "saving the world" from something that is trying to "destroy" it. Why not turn this notion around: the world you're in is absolutely [&@%!], and you're to embark on a journey to break apart the old and start something new.

A certain questline in Skyrim takes a major step in that direction, so maybe that's where the series is heading. That would be a good thing, IMO.

Br3admax wrote:
The more and more you break apart the Empire, the less of a common goal and reason to be there is present. It'd be foolish to remove the Empire just yet.

As far as I'm concerned, they removed the Empire when Martin Septim died.

Br3admax wrote:
I doubt the Emperor or the Elder Council would let Skyrim giveaway Solstheim, as the Raven Rock mines were not dry at that time and this would have been the only source of ebony they would have access to.

Is there a source for this? Because there are two ebony mines in Skyrim proper (Gloombound and Redbelly). I can't find any info on when those mines opened, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:00 am 
Undecided
Undecided

Br3admax wrote:

You may have misunderstood my direction. I'm not talking about playing through a story where you see the Empire broken up. I'm talking about a story where the Empire is already gone, the world is worse off because of it, and it's your destiny to reshape things to leave a better world than the one we'd emerged into.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:18 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I always liked the empire in TES because they weren't the big evil like nearly every other imperial empire is in the fantasy genre. Skyrim really seems to be trying to demonize the empire and i hate it, ive always supported the empire in TES and what we have in skyrim is a shadow of the empire i love.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:25 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Dark Spark wrote:
The Fighters' Guild is a nonentity in Skyrim (we get mead-swilling mercenaries who live in a capsized boat atop a small hill).

The Mages' Guild is disbanded (we get instead a magic College playing a game of architectual Jenga).

The Thieves' Guild is, well, dingy as usual.

And the Dark Brotherhood has little more than their long-passed reputation keeping them from a being common bandit gang. Good news is that help is on the way (the bad news is it's riding in on the back of what can best be described as a cross between Pee-Wee Herman and The Joker).

As always, I love your analogies. As far as the current line of discussion, they could have well done just what's being suggested with Skyrim.

The Septim Empire did indeed die with the passing of Martin Septim. As a new "Dragonborn" you had the potential to set things right and start a new Empire of true Dragonblood Emperors, but alas, no. Instead, you inherit the title of being the "Last Dragonborn" in oder to defeat Alduin once and for all, which in turn means there will never be another. No, that era is dead, passed and gone, and certainly not for the better considering the corruption and decadence that makes itself so prevalent in the Mede Dynasty.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:29 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Wow, this post has gotten a bit off topic. :lol:

^^ Umm...wouldn't it be possible to have another Dragonborn if...say...the Dragonborn has kids to carry on the name?

Makes since to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:44 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Snail's Pace wrote:
Br3admax wrote:
I doubt the Emperor or the Elder Council would let Skyrim giveaway Solstheim, as the Raven Rock mines were not dry at that time and this would have been the only source of ebony they would have access to.

Is there a source for this? Because there are two ebony mines in Skyrim proper (Gloombound and Redbelly). I can't find any info on when those mines opened, though.

Raven Rock has always been a major source of ebony, whereas these mines exist in this game alone and have no mention anywhere else.
They may not have even existed as colonies before, and therefore I can't debate them.
Dark Spark wrote:
Br3admax wrote:

You may have misunderstood my direction. I'm not talking about playing through a story where you see the Empire broken up. I'm talking about a story where the Empire is already gone, the world is worse off because of it, and it's your destiny to reshape things to leave a better world than the one we'd emerged into.

That really doesn't matter to my point. If the Empire's gone, there's less of a reason for any one race to be in any location and the common ground that the races have established will begin to erode as they become more and more secular, just as it did before.
Snake wrote:
^^ Umm...wouldn't it be possible to have another Dragonborn if...say...the Dragonborn has kids to carry on the name?

Makes since to me.

No. The Dragonborn in Skyrim is the Last, most likely because there is no more need for Dragonborn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:59 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

^^ Yea, that makes since. I'd hate to see where TES heads from here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:22 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Snake wrote:

Gritty dark fantasy :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:42 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Raynil dralas wrote:
Snake wrote:

Gritty dark fantasy :(

Yay! We're going back to Morrowind![/sacasm]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:27 pm 
Undecided
Undecided

Br3admax wrote:
... That really doesn't matter to my point. If the Empire's gone, there's less of a reason for any one race to be in any location and the common ground that the races have established will begin to erode as they become more and more secular, just as it did before. ...

We're on the same wavelength. What you describe doesn't sound like a very appealing world. Different races staying apart, unwilling to help each other out. A realm so disjointed that, when something truly bad comes along, nobody can do anything remarkable to stop it because nobody cares about what happens to anyone but themselves. There is one thing worse than war, and that is to have nothing worth fighting for.

What to do about that, then? Tear that sickened world apart, make something new. Some of the great stories out there are about nation-building. When I say "nation" I don't mean literally a new country or kingdom, but rather taking a diverse group of characters, getting them to work together using their distinct strengths in a way where, when combined, they become something capable of reshaping the world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS4, Nintendo Switch
Raynil dralas wrote:
I always liked the empire in TES because they weren't the big evil like nearly every other imperial empire is in the fantasy genre. Skyrim really seems to be trying to demonize the empire and i hate it, ive always supported the empire in TES and what we have in skyrim is a shadow of the empire i love.

I found it ironic that the 2 biggest Bethesda titles "flip" the political positions and alignments around. Typically, in most fantasy games, the Emperor is evil, and the President is good. In Fallout, the President is evil, and in most Elder Scrolls games, the Emperor is good (albeit ruthlessly pragmatic, like in Redguard, or too "weak", like in Skyrim). Also, as I mentioned, the reason that the current Empire is weak and corrupt is because the current Emperor is a common human. The Empire can only be supported by one with a Dragon's soul, who can kill people by Shouting at them.