UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:24 am

Loading

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:56 am 
Offline
Initiate
Initiate

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 am
Posts: 43
Don't get me wrong, it's a massive undertaking to get Prowler's Profit in the first place, but the reward seems just too overpowered to me (while very nice).

My Thief/Assassin has 90 in speech and has invested in every merchant in Riverwood, Whiterun, Solitude and Riften. Shortly after obtaining Prowler's Profit, he got sent on a side quest, which involved a medium Nordic ruin. Each and every burial urn basically becomes a treasure chest, containing min 1, normally 2-4 Gems (often flawless), every dead (not resting) Draughr has a gem or two. Only collecting gems, and leaving weapons, he took every penny off of every Riverwood, Whiterun, Solitude and Riften merchant, just by selling the gems (and even had a handful left)! That's roughly 25-30k gold, from one medium dungeon.

Am I the only one that thinks this is just a little too powerful?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:14 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:33 pm
Posts: 2268
ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
Status: embellishing my headcanon
I never heard of this item before tbh,

Spoiler:
reminds me of the skeleton key in Oblivion - once you get it lockpicks and the security skill are obsolete, so use with caution


you do have a high score in speech so it might be less unbalanced for people who haven't improved merchants throughout.. but yes it does seem like a loot spoiler to me if you maxed out this aspect of the game, so use with caution i'd say


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 am 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:19 am
Posts: 233
ES Games: Oblivion, skyrim, a bit of morrowind
Platform: PS3
Wow. It seems like one of those rewards where by the time you get it, you don't really need it...

_________________
It's okay to disagree with me, you're entitled to your opinion. No matter how wrong you are.

Resident FallOut: New Vegas white knight.

I Dwemer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 am 
Offline
Initiate
Initiate

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 am
Posts: 43
Mattbott wrote:
I never heard of this item before tbh,

Spoiler:
reminds me of the skeleton key in Oblivion - once you get it lockpicks and the security skill are obsolete, so use with caution


you do have a high score in speech so it might be less unbalanced for people who haven't improved merchants throughout.. but yes it does seem like a loot spoiler to me if you maxed out this aspect of the game, so use with caution i'd say


It's not an item, it's a permanent ability reward for completing


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:36 am 
Offline
Initiate
Initiate

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 am
Posts: 43
SithisIsMyCopilot wrote:
Wow. It seems like one of those rewards where by the time you get it, you don't really need it...


I started this thief/assassin from scratch and that was his first aim. I had the quest 1/2 completed at lvl 4, finished it around lvl 20, because I got bored/couldn't avoid some necessary combat (quite a lot actually ;))....it's probably completable at a much lower lvl, if you run away from combat, and don't take the thief standing stone at the start....your sneak tends to go through the roof doing this quest.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 am 
Offline
Master
Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:52 pm
Posts: 1355
Location: Vienna, Austria (and no we have no Kangaroos!)
ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Status: ...
It is bad that those gemstones have not many uses, it would be awesome if they could be of more use than just selling. And yes it is a bit overpowered, you can get sometimes like 20 to 40 gemstones in one dungeon.

_________________
Kinsman, House Hlaalu

RFC 5513


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:29 pm 
Offline
Master
Master

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:21 pm
Posts: 1083
Trelares wrote:
It is bad that those gemstones have not many uses, it would be awesome if they could be of more use than just selling. And yes it is a bit overpowered, you can get sometimes like 20 to 40 gemstones in one dungeon.


You can make expensive jewelry with them and sell them for even more. Or even better, enchant the jewelry after.

_________________
Quote:
“Fine day” said the young man.

“Gods!” hollered Zaki, sending the young man flying with a well-placed punch, and dashing away.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:42 pm 
Offline
Initiate
Initiate

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 am
Posts: 43
urthdigger wrote:
Trelares wrote:
It is bad that those gemstones have not many uses, it would be awesome if they could be of more use than just selling. And yes it is a bit overpowered, you can get sometimes like 20 to 40 gemstones in one dungeon.


You can make expensive jewelry with them and sell them for even more. Or even better, enchant the jewelry after.


But my point was and still is, that it kinda kills the game. One dungeon, and you can go and pay to train a skill from say 85-90 (in fact 2 or more as mentioned).

I'd prefer say a 50% increase in the chance of an extra gem in each chest/urn (but Im on Xbox so havent seen the code, so Im really guessing the parameters).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:29 pm 
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:13 am
Posts: 110
Location: Norway
ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Overpowered? Not at all. Just as in Oblivion, you have absolutely no use for all the cash you earn throughout the game. None. The only really expensive thing in the game are houses. The game would have been a lot better if you actually had to save up for certain weapons and other rarities, instead of smithing and enchanting all the good stuff yourself.

_________________
The Lord!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:38 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:00 pm
Posts: 1847
Yes, I wouldn't say it's overpowered at all. Like Vardark said, there isn't much you can do with last quantities of valuable metal, besides the fact that it's only fair for the amount of work you have to do in the quest.

_________________
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:22 pm 
Offline
Warder
Warder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:54 pm
Posts: 441
Location: Northeastern USA.
ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
Platform: PS3 (Oblivion, Skyrim) PC (Skyrim)
Status: Irrelevant.
Vardark wrote:
Overpowered? Not at all. Just as in Oblivion, you have absolutely no use for all the cash you earn throughout the game. None. The only really expensive thing in the game are houses. The game would have been a lot better if you actually had to save up for certain weapons and other rarities, instead of smithing and enchanting all the good stuff yourself.


That is false. Playing as a pure mage character (No armor, and only magic), I usually find myself at a loss for gold whenever I need to buy something, and end up having to save up and limit my spending for a bit before I can get it. Most notable of this is new robes, as the College of Winterhold sells them for ridiculous prices, and I end up having to save up money for a few days. I enjoy this, as it makes me feel like I'm actually earning the things I buy, unlike Oblivion where I could just clone some rings and sell them.

_________________
404 ERROR: SANITY NOT FOUND.


Spoiler:
so i herd u liek patapon...
Image


wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:47 pm 
Offline
Initiate
Initiate

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 am
Posts: 43
yodah wrote:
Vardark wrote:
Overpowered? Not at all. Just as in Oblivion, you have absolutely no use for all the cash you earn throughout the game. None. The only really expensive thing in the game are houses. The game would have been a lot better if you actually had to save up for certain weapons and other rarities, instead of smithing and enchanting all the good stuff yourself.


That is false. Playing as a pure mage character (No armor, and only magic), I usually find myself at a loss for gold whenever I need to buy something, and end up having to save up and limit my spending for a bit before I can get it. Most notable of this is new robes, as the College of Winterhold sells them for ridiculous prices, and I end up having to save up money for a few days. I enjoy this, as it makes me feel like I'm actually earning the things I buy, unlike Oblivion where I could just clone some rings and sell them.


I have to agree...and there are also things you cant buy cheaply :- i.e Skill training. 4000+ gold per point isnt cheap, but it is when u have overflowing gems (and pls no exploit comments).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 pm 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:00 pm
Posts: 1847
Well, that's true about training, but on any of my characters where I might have feasibly gotten it, I'm already at ninety in the skills that I have access to the master trainers.

_________________
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:33 am 
Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:22 am
Posts: 203
ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC and 360
Honestly, I was actually disappointed by this reward. Ok so I can now get even more money from dungeons than I could before. The thing is, by the time I finished this quest, I was so far into the game that I could easily just make things at little price and then sell my creations for tons of money.

I think I would have been happier if you got to take the crown and it gave you some kind of amazing bonus to health, stamina, and magika (like maybe 100 each).

Then not only would you be running around looking like the richest person on the planet, you would get a stat boost worthy of the amount of time you had to spend getting all of the gems.

_________________
<-------) )------------<<


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 am 
Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:43 am
Posts: 162
Location: In my room, probably dead.
ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, XBox 360
now with the latest patch, the Prowlers Profit perk actually has a use, leveling up your Smithing skill, since smith levels with the value of the created item now.

though I hope it's not as bad as Alchemy, I made like 300,000 gold or something while leveling my Alchemy, I had more money at the end of that than I made throughout the entirety of the rest of my gameplay.

_________________
TerrorOfTheNorth wrote:
He's Bosmer. That's what I think of him.


Last edited by Lotet on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:33 pm
Posts: 2268
ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
Status: embellishing my headcanon
from what has been said, imo the true value of prowlers profit is not making loads of gold at all

it sounds like PP allows you to play a character who no longer has to lug round tons of loot but can still trade and buy equipment they need - a great boon for light travellers (or heroes with low stamina) who feel silly carrying 10 suits of chainmail and a load of maces just cos they need to make some money and buy a spell or two.. in effect this could free your character (and companions) up from looting bodies of stuff you don't want to use (interesting new concept for fantasy role playing lol) does that make sense? i don't have this yet so am not 100% sure

so much in this game tips the balance unless you use it a certain way but i think i like the sound of this after all


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:03 pm
Posts: 3954
ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
Status: Fresh
That Barenziah really knew how to get ahold of men's jewels, didn't she?

_________________
"These were the spontaneous proverbs of something outside ourselves, behind even the stars, the artless signal of the bad half of the divine, and it was right here, right here at WG-T-One, where all things begin and end."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:06 am 
Offline
Grand Master
Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:33 pm
Posts: 2268
ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
Status: embellishing my headcanon
lol

yes, it was one of her greatest charms if i remember correctly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 am 
Offline
Master
Master

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:21 pm
Posts: 1083
Pilaf The Defiler wrote:
That Barenziah really knew how to get ahold of men's jewels, didn't she?


Especially khajiit :)

_________________
Quote:
“Fine day” said the young man.

“Gods!” hollered Zaki, sending the young man flying with a well-placed punch, and dashing away.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:31 am 
Offline
Novice
Novice

Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:43 am
Posts: 76
ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Have to agree that this power is kinda ridiculous, and it almost seems to me like some developer missed a decimal point for the frequency of gem appearances or something. The only thing that didn't make it quite game-breaking for me was the fact that I was already hoarding gems instead of selling them. It meant that my poor housecarl's main job was to lug around 50 lbs of pretty rocks, though. And that's just silly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 pm 
Offline
Initiate
Initiate
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:12 pm
Posts: 45
ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.
Platform: PS3, XBox (Original).
Dark Brotherhood Spoiler Warning:
Spoiler:
It may seem like it, but considering you can do an infinite number of generic assassinations after the DBH Questline that literally makes 1,000 septims a pop and takes on average 10-20 seconds, I see it as less of a problem.
. It's been said, but Alchemy is worse, making an outrageous amount of coin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:18 am 
Offline
Initiate
Initiate

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 am
Posts: 43
My earlier mentioned Thief/Assassin now has so much money, I was thinking of giving a few 100k to some kind of (evil) charity, but you can't even do that. It was kinda fun for a while , trading a handful of diamonds for 5 skill points worth of training, but since the combat skills he uses are mostly maxed out, levelling is extremely slow (50+), and he can earn a few hundred k gold per level without trying.....well apart from the endless shopping...

Character : The Abyss

Traits: Evil, remorseless killer. Will assist someone on a quest, then murder them afterwards anyway. :Twisted Evil:

Vocation: Sleeping & Eating 25%, Killing 5%, Shopping 70%.....

(The last is starting to disturb him, as he has noticed himself more frequently employing terms such as "then liiike he said" and "I was so...oh my god....no waaay", and has also noticed a definite rising intonation at the end of sentences that should be statements. This caused confusion on his last assassination job, as he stared into the eyes of his victim and said, "It's time to die". The victim replied "Is that a question, because I'll say it isn't time". "No", said the killer, "it wasn't". "Well you made it sound like one", replied the victim. A short discussion followed, which made The Abyss so angry, that he killed the victim in such an unspeakable way, that we won't speak of it............Then he went shopping.)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Sponsored Links

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group