UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 
 Post subject: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:56 am 
Initiate
Initiate

UESPoints: 0
Don't get me wrong, it's a massive undertaking to get Prowler's Profit in the first place, but the reward seems just too overpowered to me (while very nice).

My Thief/Assassin has 90 in speech and has invested in every merchant in Riverwood, Whiterun, Solitude and Riften. Shortly after obtaining Prowler's Profit, he got sent on a side quest, which involved a medium Nordic ruin. Each and every burial urn basically becomes a treasure chest, containing min 1, normally 2-4 Gems (often flawless), every dead (not resting) Draughr has a gem or two. Only collecting gems, and leaving weapons, he took every penny off of every Riverwood, Whiterun, Solitude and Riften merchant, just by selling the gems (and even had a handful left)! That's roughly 25-30k gold, from one medium dungeon.

Am I the only one that thinks this is just a little too powerful?

Post subject: Re: Prowler's Profit OTT?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:14 am 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
UESPoints: 1
I never heard of this item before tbh,

Spoiler:
reminds me of the skeleton key in Oblivion - once you get it lockpicks and the security skill are obsolete, so use with caution

you do have a high score in speech so it might be less unbalanced for people who haven't improved merchants throughout.. but yes it does seem like a loot spoiler to me if you maxed out this aspect of the game, so use with caution i'd say

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, skyrim, a bit of morrowind
Platform: PS3
Wow. It seems like one of those rewards where by the time you get it, you don't really need it...

Resident FallOut: New Vegas white knight.

I Dwemer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 am 
Initiate
Initiate

Mattbott wrote:
I never heard of this item before tbh,

Spoiler:
reminds me of the skeleton key in Oblivion - once you get it lockpicks and the security skill are obsolete, so use with caution

you do have a high score in speech so it might be less unbalanced for people who haven't improved merchants throughout.. but yes it does seem like a loot spoiler to me if you maxed out this aspect of the game, so use with caution i'd say

It's not an item, it's a permanent ability reward for completing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:36 am 
Initiate
Initiate

SithisIsMyCopilot wrote:
Wow. It seems like one of those rewards where by the time you get it, you don't really need it...

I started this thief/assassin from scratch and that was his first aim. I had the quest 1/2 completed at lvl 4, finished it around lvl 20, because I got bored/couldn't avoid some necessary combat (quite a lot actually ;))....it's probably completable at a much lower lvl, if you run away from combat, and don't take the thief standing stone at the start....your sneak tends to go through the roof doing this quest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 am 
Master
Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
It is bad that those gemstones have not many uses, it would be awesome if they could be of more use than just selling. And yes it is a bit overpowered, you can get sometimes like 20 to 40 gemstones in one dungeon.

RFC 5513

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:29 pm 
Master
Master

Trelares wrote:
It is bad that those gemstones have not many uses, it would be awesome if they could be of more use than just selling. And yes it is a bit overpowered, you can get sometimes like 20 to 40 gemstones in one dungeon.

You can make expensive jewelry with them and sell them for even more. Or even better, enchant the jewelry after.

“Gods!” hollered Zaki, sending the young man flying with a well-placed punch, and dashing away.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:42 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

urthdigger wrote:
Trelares wrote:

You can make expensive jewelry with them and sell them for even more. Or even better, enchant the jewelry after.

But my point was and still is, that it kinda kills the game. One dungeon, and you can go and pay to train a skill from say 85-90 (in fact 2 or more as mentioned).

I'd prefer say a 50% increase in the chance of an extra gem in each chest/urn (but Im on Xbox so havent seen the code, so Im really guessing the parameters).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:29 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Overpowered? Not at all. Just as in Oblivion, you have absolutely no use for all the cash you earn throughout the game. None. The only really expensive thing in the game are houses. The game would have been a lot better if you actually had to save up for certain weapons and other rarities, instead of smithing and enchanting all the good stuff yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:38 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, I wouldn't say it's overpowered at all. Like Vardark said, there isn't much you can do with last quantities of valuable metal, besides the fact that it's only fair for the amount of work you have to do in the quest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:22 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
Platform: PS3 (Oblivion, Skyrim) PC (Skyrim)
Vardark wrote:
Overpowered? Not at all. Just as in Oblivion, you have absolutely no use for all the cash you earn throughout the game. None. The only really expensive thing in the game are houses. The game would have been a lot better if you actually had to save up for certain weapons and other rarities, instead of smithing and enchanting all the good stuff yourself.

That is false. Playing as a pure mage character (No armor, and only magic), I usually find myself at a loss for gold whenever I need to buy something, and end up having to save up and limit my spending for a bit before I can get it. Most notable of this is new robes, as the College of Winterhold sells them for ridiculous prices, and I end up having to save up money for a few days. I enjoy this, as it makes me feel like I'm actually earning the things I buy, unlike Oblivion where I could just clone some rings and sell them.

Spoiler:
so i herd u liek patapon...

wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:47 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

yodah wrote:
Vardark wrote:

That is false. Playing as a pure mage character (No armor, and only magic), I usually find myself at a loss for gold whenever I need to buy something, and end up having to save up and limit my spending for a bit before I can get it. Most notable of this is new robes, as the College of Winterhold sells them for ridiculous prices, and I end up having to save up money for a few days. I enjoy this, as it makes me feel like I'm actually earning the things I buy, unlike Oblivion where I could just clone some rings and sell them.

I have to agree...and there are also things you cant buy cheaply :- i.e Skill training. 4000+ gold per point isnt cheap, but it is when u have overflowing gems (and pls no exploit comments).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, that's true about training, but on any of my characters where I might have feasibly gotten it, I'm already at ninety in the skills that I have access to the master trainers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:33 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC and 360
Honestly, I was actually disappointed by this reward. Ok so I can now get even more money from dungeons than I could before. The thing is, by the time I finished this quest, I was so far into the game that I could easily just make things at little price and then sell my creations for tons of money.

I think I would have been happier if you got to take the crown and it gave you some kind of amazing bonus to health, stamina, and magika (like maybe 100 each).

Then not only would you be running around looking like the richest person on the planet, you would get a stat boost worthy of the amount of time you had to spend getting all of the gems.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, XBox 360
now with the latest patch, the Prowlers Profit perk actually has a use, leveling up your Smithing skill, since smith levels with the value of the created item now.

though I hope it's not as bad as Alchemy, I made like 300,000 gold or something while leveling my Alchemy, I had more money at the end of that than I made throughout the entirety of the rest of my gameplay.

Last edited by Lotet on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 am 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

from what has been said, imo the true value of prowlers profit is not making loads of gold at all

it sounds like PP allows you to play a character who no longer has to lug round tons of loot but can still trade and buy equipment they need - a great boon for light travellers (or heroes with low stamina) who feel silly carrying 10 suits of chainmail and a load of maces just cos they need to make some money and buy a spell or two.. in effect this could free your character (and companions) up from looting bodies of stuff you don't want to use (interesting new concept for fantasy role playing lol) does that make sense? i don't have this yet so am not 100% sure

so much in this game tips the balance unless you use it a certain way but i think i like the sound of this after all

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
That Barenziah really knew how to get ahold of men's jewels, didn't she?

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:06 am 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

lol

yes, it was one of her greatest charms if i remember correctly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:24 am 
Master
Master

Pilaf The Defiler wrote:
That Barenziah really knew how to get ahold of men's jewels, didn't she?

Especially khajiit :)

“Gods!” hollered Zaki, sending the young man flying with a well-placed punch, and dashing away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:31 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Have to agree that this power is kinda ridiculous, and it almost seems to me like some developer missed a decimal point for the frequency of gem appearances or something. The only thing that didn't make it quite game-breaking for me was the fact that I was already hoarding gems instead of selling them. It meant that my poor housecarl's main job was to lug around 50 lbs of pretty rocks, though. And that's just silly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.
Platform: PS3, XBox (Original).
Dark Brotherhood Spoiler Warning:
Spoiler:
It may seem like it, but considering you can do an infinite number of generic assassinations after the DBH Questline that literally makes 1,000 septims a pop and takes on average 10-20 seconds, I see it as less of a problem.
. It's been said, but Alchemy is worse, making an outrageous amount of coin.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:18 am 
Initiate
Initiate

My earlier mentioned Thief/Assassin now has so much money, I was thinking of giving a few 100k to some kind of (evil) charity, but you can't even do that. It was kinda fun for a while , trading a handful of diamonds for 5 skill points worth of training, but since the combat skills he uses are mostly maxed out, levelling is extremely slow (50+), and he can earn a few hundred k gold per level without trying.....well apart from the endless shopping...

Character : The Abyss

Traits: Evil, remorseless killer. Will assist someone on a quest, then murder them afterwards anyway. :Twisted Evil:

Vocation: Sleeping & Eating 25%, Killing 5%, Shopping 70%.....

(The last is starting to disturb him, as he has noticed himself more frequently employing terms such as "then liiike he said" and "I was so...oh my god....no waaay", and has also noticed a definite rising intonation at the end of sentences that should be statements. This caused confusion on his last assassination job, as he stared into the eyes of his victim and said, "It's time to die". The victim replied "Is that a question, because I'll say it isn't time". "No", said the killer, "it wasn't". "Well you made it sound like one", replied the victim. A short discussion followed, which made The Abyss so angry, that he killed the victim in such an unspeakable way, that we won't speak of it............Then he went shopping.)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]