UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: What changes would you like to see in Skyrim's houses?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:37 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Skyrim
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
Hey Everybody!

I've decided to take on a modding project to fix the current state of some of the player houses in Skyrim. I've noticed some are lacking certain qualities I would like to see in houses (such as an enchanting table in Breezhome, or more conveniently placed containers near alchemy tables) and I've also noticed some of the actual problems in some of the houses (like the graphical issues in Proudspire Manor near the mannequins). Many of these problems I'm looking to fix and some I have already begun fixing (like adding a basement to Breezehome for more space for additional additions) but some houses I simply don't use, and am unaware of many of the problems that can occur there.

I realize that this mod shouldn't be based solely off of my bothersome experiences with Skyrim's player-owned houses, so I'm looking for advice on what you guys would like to see changed around. Whether it be a simple "Why the heck did/didn't they put this here?" type of issue, or an issue where you would like to see things added/utilized. I understand that these houses are where many of us spend a bulk of our time, so I want to make houses in Skyrim to appeal to a player's needs while still retaining the look, balance, and feel of something in-game.

Unfortunately not every suggestion will be able to be utilized, as I would still very much like to keep the houses balanced (larger, more expensive houses will still have better items/capabilities than smaller, cheaper ones). I'm looking to make practical yet balanced additions to the houses to make them more livable.

I know we all have those small things we don't like about some of the houses around Skyrim, so if you guys could comment on what you would like to see changed that would be great! Thanks again for the help, and hopefully we can get some cool ideas flowing!

Post subject: Re: What changes would you like to see in Skyrim's houses?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:03 pm 
Archmage
Archmage

ES Games: Morrowind Oblivion and Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: Xbox: AbroadHarpy22 Steam: Hissien
UESPoints: 1
I would like the mannequins not to come to life and run out of my house.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:07 pm 
Champion
Champion

^ Speaking of which, I'd like to have more mannequins. A room with 8 of them or something.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:15 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
The problem with the mannequnis is that they are npcs. So they are scripted to work like some kind of furniture and suppress the standard npc code, although sometimes the scripts that should ensure that the mannequin don't move doesn't work proberly. If you use the activator (it is where the mannequin should normally stay) and then reload, the problems are solved. This is the best solution for now.

RFC 5513

Last edited by Trelares on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:16 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3
Other Profiles: Dante848
I would like more mannequins, as well as a weapon room with tons of plaques and stands, maybe a small hidden room with necromancy things in it, kind of a hidden interest type thing >:D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:46 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind-Skyrim-Oblivion
Platform: PC and PS3
Well a lot of bug correction would be my answer. Especially about the object that you place into your house.

But like many others i will suggest more mannequins,a lot more. Also i would like to see some different races-mannequins, not only Nord Male, but also a female argonian, for example.
Another cool feature would be some biggest library; at least i am the Dovahkiin, i must a palace like a jarl just for my self, maybe with some dragon skeleton around :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:59 pm 
Archmage
Archmage

xDante wrote:
I would like more mannequins, as well as a weapon room with tons of plaques and stands, maybe a small hidden room with necromancy things in it, kind of a hidden interest type thing >:D

I agree maybe a reanimated guard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim (+DG)
Putting staves on weapon plaques looks weird to my eye. A wider plaque that could hold the staff horizontal instead of diagonal would be great.

Also Daedric artifacts look very weird on normal plaques. It would be beyond awesome to have a unique display plaque/pedestal/case/whatever to show off Daedric artifacts you've acquired.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 pm 
Layman
Layman

Cool thanks guys, I'll check out the different ways I can implement more armory-themed areas in the houses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:22 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
I'd be happy with just a forge/grindstone/bench/smelter in the homes, especially in Hjerim or Proudspire. Maybe some more bookshelves.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:59 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, (PC), Oblivion, Skyrim (360)
Other Profiles: GT: The Frosty Mage, Steam: Frost Mage, Skype: frostmage79x
Hissien wrote:
I would like the mannequins not to come to life and run out of my house.

But what if it was in Doctor Who style?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:16 am 
Warder
Warder

I lnow I keep harping on about this but were are the toilets and washing facilities. I would suggest you star with A nice garderobe (include a bookshelf) and a bath house for the bigger properties or a wash bowl and outhouse for the starter homes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: xbox 360
I'd like to see smithing equipment in houses. Make your house a one stop for war gear.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Skyr wrote:
Well a lot of bug correction would be my answer. Especially about the object that you place into your house.

Agreed.

Personally I would not download a mod that changed the houses but I would grab one that fixed the bugs.

If it also made placing objects easier/simpler that would be a MASSIVE bonus.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:43 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: PC, XBox 360
Put a barrel or Apothercary Satchel next to the Proudspire Alchemy table and let me jump off the 2nd floor to get to the door or just put in an exit on the 2nd floor. that works too.

how about some Map markers for Proudspire and Hjerim that only appear after you buy them. that really won't make much of a difference to me since I usually visit the Merchants and Temple before going home.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:15 pm 
Champion
Champion

A better change would be to remove all the bugs related to Hjerim and that damn quest. Better than the room full of mannequins that I said earlier...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:46 pm 
Warder
Warder

Platform: Xbox 360
Smithing things (anvil/forge, grindstone, workbench, smelter) in a house - in proximity of Arcane Enchanter, including a container for ignots and ores nearby - would of course be awesome. But in general the houses lack storage very close to working areas (alchemy & enchanter), which is the case at least with Honeyside and Proudspire. For example, alchemy table need some sort of container (like the satchel in Breezehome) in very immediate proximity, as you quite easily have ingredients more than you can carry. Enchanter would need containers for armors/clothes, weapons and soul gems near it.

All in all, in Skyrim you need more containers than in Oblivion, as the content is not categorized.

EDIT: I continue a little bit. Maybe a smelter in a house is overkill, it is not that difficult to use smelter outside to make ores to ignots. In general, there is just iron and corundum ores that I don't immediately smelt, as iron ore can be used to make gold and silver (with Transmute) if I need rings/amulets, and with corundum it can be used to make steel.

My "daily routine" is somewhat following: when coming to home, I use the nearest container to store all my current equipment, so that I don't accidentally sell them. The next container near door is used to store loot. The rest of the containers are used to store things that I might need in future - mainly things that I can not make by myself, like circlets, clothes, weapons and armors beyond my skills, and then all sorts of unique items I might need in future.

As I almost always first check if I have loot that can be disenchanted, I would appreciate having Arcane Enchanter near front door. Furthermore, most of the regular things I store are usually things that I might enchant in future, so I would appreciate having lots of storage space near enchanter. For me, Smithing and Alchemy things need only one container, I store all ingredients and all ignots in one place. But as most of the things I make by smithing are meant to be enchanted, I would appreciate having anvil near enchanter. Basically grindstone and workbench could be located elsewhere, but as you need the same things with them as with anvil, it is probably best to keep them together.

The rest need for containers is somewhat miscellaneous: I store things that I assume/know that are needed in some quests, and I store items that I don't need but which I just cannot sell (like unique items acquired from quests). I don't use weapon racks, mannequins (are they all male? Why not female mannequins?), bookshelves, display cases and wall plates, but I think that they serve the rest of the needs for a house, allowing you to decorate it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:48 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Platform: Xbox 360
I would get rid of some things from the house in Windhelm. I forgot the name, but there is blood everywhere and the necromancy table blocks a useable bookshelf. I would add more mannequins and weapon racks and book shelves that don't have books disappear when placed in them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:21 pm 
Archmage
Archmage

bepease2293 wrote:
I would get rid of some things from the house in Windhelm. I forgot the name, but there is blood everywhere and the necromancy table blocks a useable bookshelf. I would add more mannequins and weapon racks and book shelves that don't have books disappear when placed in them.

You have to buy the "clean up that murderer's mess" pack from the steward BEFORE any of the others and it will be clean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:24 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim
I don't see why they didn't add secret rooms. I am a PC user and there was a secret room of the breeze home mod i got. That is the coolest thing ever. I think secret stuff in the homes makes them more... exciting to players

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

After playing for a while, the things that *still* really irk me about vanilla Breezehome are the giant firepit that I have to go around to get in and out of the place, and the fact that I can't go upstairs without tripping my way into the loft. :)

Fortunately on PC you can mods to redo those things.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]