UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Boat Homes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:00 pm 
Warder
Warder

UESPoints: 0
There are some ships added to the game map after some stages of quests.
- The Wreck of the Icerunner (Lights Out! quest)
- The Katariah (Hail Sithis! quest)

I have a really strong suspicion that both can be safely used as homes because the containers seem not to reset. There are some people looking for a house away from civilization because of RP reasons or because they like to live with a bounty on them. These ships could be the thing they are looking for.

I gave the The Wreck of the Icerunner a formal test. I cleared all the crap put, got rid of all the corpses and left all containers with one Leather Strips in them. Then I left, and didn't come back until I gained a level or 30 though normal game-play.
Absolutely nothing seems to reset. All chests, sacks and barrels still have 1x Leather Strips in them. Even the ones outside on the deck.
I'm less sure about The Katariah. The containers on the deck seems to reset but the ones inside seem not to.

I'd like some feedback on this and before I add any unfortunate disinformation to the wiki. Could anyone confirm or deny the usability of these ships as homes?

Post subject: Re: Boat Homes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:38 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, 360
Hey SuperNull, thanks for doing some research and putting the info on the Forum.

Ignoring the official purchasable properties, Safe Storage is a rare commodity in Skyrim, and I think there's a lot of exploration and work to be done on the subject. Heck, even the knowledge of cell/container reset timers is rather vague and can be contradictory, as different items within a cell seem to follow different reset schedules. (I kinda miss Oblivion's standard across-the-board common reset schedule for everything. It made life simpler and more predictable.)

Now, about these Ships. Do they behave as separate cells, do you activate a Load Screen when you enter them? If so, then any barrels, chests or sacks outside of the interior cell belong to the outdoor cell, and are probably controlled by the outdoor cell reset timer, not the Ship's interior cell timer, which makes them dubious for Safe Storage, just like most other outdoor containers in Skyrim.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:15 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion,Skyrim
Platform: PS3
Thanks dude, i'm gonna use this now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:44 pm 
Warder
Warder

Evil-i wrote:
Now, about these Ships. Do they behave as separate cells, do you activate a Load Screen when you enter them?

They have an exterior that is added to the game world at some point. From that exterior, an interior can be accessed that requires a loading screen.
I'm reasonably sure that the exterior of the Icerunner is not liked to the reset timer of the piece of swamp it is in though. The plants around the ship reset as normal, but not the barrens and sacks on the deck.

Anyway, both Icerunner and Katariah have more then enough interior containers so there is little need to trust the exterior ones.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:19 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
I did the Katariah long long ago in my game (100 hours + ago), and went back looking for a set of Penitus Oculatus armor to try out, and all the original bodies were still in the ship. But I think the chests were respawned, as I found a metric asston of gems from my new perk that I didn't have on the first trip through.

Good luck with it.

Moloch-Orc Paladin lvl 60
Companion, Stormcloak, Blood-Kin
Moira-Breton Mage lvl 54
Arch-Mage, Thief's Guild Associate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:34 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PS3, PC
Swampy wrote:

Don't! As it is said, it needs confirmation! Is this information turns out to be true, it would be a very nice thing to know, but don't go putting your stuff in chests before knowing for sure they're safe, or you'll lose everything. Your call.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 am 
Warder
Warder

shu wrote:
Swampy wrote:

Don't! As it is said, it needs confirmation! Is this information turns out to be true, it would be a very nice thing to know, but don't go putting your stuff in chests before knowing for sure they're safe, or you'll lose everything. Your call.

On the other hand, if people won't just do it, we'll never have confirmation. If Syrkin is on the PC he can recover his items anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:41 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: PS3, PC
True, but he should watch put he puts in the containers, like only easily obtainable items (and Daedric gear is included, it's not really that difficult to get with some nice smithing). What I meant was to avoid putting unique objects. Guess I should have made myself more clear.

And Swampy, the one whom I quoted, is on a PS3, so no getting back lost items.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]