UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Now, why would an Imperial join in the rebellion?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:24 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim: Collectors Edition
Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
So, I've always kinda role played, but I've never gotten too serious with my rp in ways like actually writing out my character's bio and background and having a schedule... I've always just used my "everything" character to rp.
Anyway, I feel like I'm about to start ranting on and on, so I'll get to the jist of it.... I just started seriously role playing with dedicated characters and I fell into a little problem as I was writing my char's bio. I'm an Imperial named Titus and for reasons I don't know yet, I've joined the rebellion. So, I need reasons an Imperial would join the rebellion, if it helps he hails from the Imperial City from a wealthy blacksmithing family who just happens to be supplying the Legion with arms and armour for their ventures in the northern province

TL; DR what are some reasons an Imperial would join the Stormcloak rebellion?

Post subject: Re: Now, why would an Imperial join in the rebellion?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:33 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Macbook with OSX Lion and Windows 7
He disagrees with his father on politics. Secondly, his mother could be a Nord, so she passed on a strong like for his noble Nord heritage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:37 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 5
Being of the Imperial race doesn't really necessarily dictate you'll be on the Empire's side. The Empire is fundamentally considered "Imperial," but there are plenty who disagree with it. Perhaps he has become jaded by the years since the end of the Third Era and the Empire's collapse, or feels betrayed as they signed a deal with the Thalmor, and thinks his energy would be better spent with the Stormcloaks.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:38 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
It seems to be me that if his family is providing arms and armor to the Imperial Legion, then they wouldn't make much of a profit if the Legion easily went in and wiped out the Nord rebellion. Drawing out the conflict means more sales, which means more money in their coffers.

Of course, if it ever came to light that the son of such a family was aiding the rebels...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:40 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Skyrim! Oblivion GOTY, Morrowind!
Personal vendetta against Tullius, Emperor or something?

Or maybe he's rather shallow (stupid) and hates the Empire 'cause they tried to cut off his head? :mrgreen:

Or maybe his FATHER IS TULLIUS! :shock: And he had a disagreement with him when he was younger, and he got ditched in a gutter somewhere... or something. The whole thing could be kept like this deep dark secret and eventually, when the Empire have been quelled and fought out of Skyrim, you could expose him for the [&@%!] that he is :D

Or just use whatever's above...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:18 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim: Collectors Edition
Great ideas, I wanted to go a more political way in my story anyway, so I think I'll be able to mix some these up nicely and finish it up. Thanks :D
Look forward to meeting Titus in the characters thread!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:52 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim
Platform: Xbox
There's always the classic---he joined up to impress a girl.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:00 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena (Limited) Morrowind(Limited), Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360/PC
Maybe he hates the Thalmor, and since the Empire have ceased fighting them, he wants to join the Stormcloaks to eventually fight to Thalmor.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:02 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC Master Race
Maybe he's a nord at heart, or he just doesn't care about the Empire. Plenty of room for anti-patriots when the Empire has grown fat and weak, suffering almost as much humiliation as when Morrowind first signed that "peace treaty" long, long ago.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:05 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox
Other Profiles: Creator Of All (Xbox)
Take the easy way out dude, just be a mercenary who fights for money.

And seeing as Ulfric seems more accessable, and comes off as being "richer" than the legion (I know he isn't...) there's your reason.

I somehow feel that if the mods were all gods.. Believe would surely be the God of Awesome and Booze

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:18 am 
Warder
Warder

Platform: PC Master Race
And Ulfric didn't send you to your death even though you weren't supposed to be.

Who could support any form of government where you're arrested for apparently no reason other than you happen to be near someone else they were arresting, and when taken to town they find you weren't supposed to be arrested, and they just go oh kill 'em anyway! Seriously, what kind of miscarriage of justice was that? The only Empire I can see that is that blatantly evil is the Empire from Star Wars!

It doesn't help that if you do go talk to General Tullius, his threats to put you behind bars for no reason whatsoever in between his smarmy, holier-than-thou, "what a bunch of spoiled brats in need of a spankin'" attitude towards the Stormcloaks, not to mention his xenophobia for all things Nord in their very home (imagine Richard Dawkins barging in during Sunday service)... man, that stuff makes me want to join the Dark Brotherhood even as a good character (for reasons those who've played the quest know well).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:44 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Lymond wrote:
There's always the classic---he joined up to impress a girl.

Obviously the Stormcloak chick who yells out, "YOU IMPERIAL [&@%!]" was giving him the green light...too bad she bled out five minutes later...

On topic: Your character could be a former Blade who felt bitter of the Empire's signing of the White-Gold Concordant and cut all ties
Or just a Talos worshiper...he was pretty popular in Cyrodiil during the Oblivion Crisis...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:56 pm 
Champion
Champion

Platform: PC
Easy. Where is your family from originally?

Any Colovian Imperial worth his fur hat would JUMP at the chance to slaughter his soft, lowland dwelling kinsmen. Titus might be a True Son of Colovia, and therefor keenly interested in fomenting rebellion against the Nibenean establishment. Helping Skyrim free itself is just the tip of the iceberg.

If he's native to the IC, then maybe he's a member of Occupy Market District? Sure, his family's a "wealthy" blacksmithing clan, but how wealthy is that, really? Probably still a member of the 99%, right? Or, even simpler, he's just your standard stick-it-to-dad revolutionary. Does the upper middle class ever really NEED an excuse to run off to another country, stop shaving, and throw themselves tooth and nail into a conflict that they barely understand? Think of yourself as the Che of Skyrim.

(USER GOT 3 KARMA FOR THIS POST)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]