UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Skyrim racials
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:44 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360 (no longer), PC
UESPoints: 0
Discuss what racials you love, what you hate, when you like was changed, what you hate was changed

Love/like changed: Ancestors wrath
Hate/hate changed: Altmer, +50 magicka...seriously? Thats five levels of +magicka or a really good enchant... Nord racial battlecry, I want woad and my strong ice spell back D:

Also, technically wouldnt racials that give bonuses (+5 sneak for example) be BAD if thats what you want to focus on? it would mean slower leveling for you..

Favorite TES Race: Nords
Favorite TES Playstyle: Depends
Favorite TES Game: Skyrim
Favorite Weapon Type: Axes
Favorite Magic Type: Paralyze

Spoiler:
Im on your forums, spoilin' your games.

Post subject: Re: Skyrim racials
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:31 pm 
Master
Master

I love that Khajiit's night eye is toggleable now, instead of having to keep recasting it like I did in Oblivion. Also, claws are fun when people challenge me to a brawl. Sure, that nord may have bravado, but face something with claws in a brawl and you're kinda outmatched.

“Gods!” hollered Zaki, sending the young man flying with a well-placed punch, and dashing away.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:42 pm 
Modern Major General
Modern Major General

ES Games: Oblivn Goy, Morrwnd, Skrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Steam: The_Nanza
UESPoints: 8
Frogmander wrote:
Also, technically wouldnt racials that give bonuses (+5 sneak for example) be BAD if thats what you want to focus on? it would mean slower leveling for you..

No. If you raise a skill from 50 to 51 it counts more towards leveling up than raising a different skill from, say, 20 to 21.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:04 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
The only bad thing maybe could be that if you just use the skills your race boost you have a level that is beneath the technical maxlevel of your spec(mage,warrior, thief, yeah there are many others^^), if you had choosen another race. But you always can max out all skills if you want to go for the maximum level.

RFC 5513

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:45 am 
Master
Master

So, I just thought I'd try something out and try punching out some enemies normally with my khajiit. I found that it's actually QUITE strong. I was punching out most folks in two swings. They're fast, and stronger than most one-handed weaponry. Of course, using claws means not getting any skill in an actual weapon, and those would eventually be better seeing as I can't enchant my claws, nor do I get perk bonuses.

“Gods!” hollered Zaki, sending the young man flying with a well-placed punch, and dashing away.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:48 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360 (no longer), PC
urthdigger wrote:
So, I just thought I'd try something out and try punching out some enemies normally with my khajiit. I found that it's actually QUITE strong. I was punching out most folks in two swings. They're fast, and stronger than most one-handed weaponry. Of course, using claws means not getting any skill in an actual weapon, and those would eventually be better seeing as I can't enchant my claws, nor do I get perk bonuses.

there are a few perk bonuses to hand to hand damage, and there is also an enchant that makes you do more damage with h2h, so a h2h character still works :P only bad thing is you need to train up heavy armor abit to get the gauntlet perk, and you kind of do need full armor because of various perks and enchants :/

Favorite TES Race: Nords
Favorite TES Playstyle: Depends
Favorite TES Game: Skyrim
Favorite Weapon Type: Axes
Favorite Magic Type: Paralyze

Spoiler:
Im on your forums, spoilin' your games.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:59 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
As I've mentioned before, I'm sort of annoyed by some of the changes.

Namely, the Redguards suddenly becoming proficient Mages; the Dunmer loosing their Blade and Marksman bonuses and going from well-rounded offensive types to Stealthy Mages; and the Imperials loss of their amazing Personality. There are a few other minor things, like the Altmer having a greater Illusion boost than Destruction, and the fact that Nords and Bretons have Speech bonuses while Imperials do not.

These are all minor things that definitely wont ruin the game for me, but I am still searching for answers, and I'm still a bit unhappy with it.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:01 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The skill boosts to start are so small that they are barely noticible, what is important is the racial abilities.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:07 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The problem I have is not one of gameplay, starting boosts mean next to nothing as you say, it's one of Lore and racial identity forged over the previous instalments of the game. I know it's not gone, and I know a lot of improvements have actually been made to the cultures in Skyrim (I've seen it first-hand), it's just that each race has come to be something for me, and to have that changed is unsettling. Who knows, one day Altmer might become the worst Mages in all Nirn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:47 pm 
Master
Master

A lot of the established lore is still there. Look more at what skill gets a +10 bonus, and what powers they get. Redguards may get some magic now, but their primary skill is longsword, and their power boosts up their stamina (commonly used up by melee). Dunmer still have their strong ties to their ancestors, although once again it does something different, and their relation to fire in the form of fire resistance and destruction magic.

The only races who were "damaged" in some way were the races that didn't have a general clear-cut role as far as lore cared. It's pretty much accepted that orcs, redguards, and nords are melee, khajiit and bosmer are stealth (thieves and archers respectively), and that altmer and breton are skilled mages. This leaves the dunmer, imperials, and argonians. As I mentioned above, the dunmer kept the lore they had (And destruction magic was always a skill of theirs). Argonians still have the waterbreathing and disease resistance from their swamp living, which was pretty much all the lore they used to have, and their skillset being changed to a third stealth class is arguably better than their former unmatched mishmash. It is odd that the imperials don't get a bonus to speech, although they do keep a power to go along with their smoothtalking roots, in the form of an AoE calm that's essentially talking folks into standing down. Combatwise, they do actually keep their skillset from Oblivion (which was a major change from Oblivion, where they were kinda random outside of speech and mercantile), which has them using heavy armor, swords, and restoration magic, essentially marking them as paladins (though I do think destruction should be replaced with speech)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:56 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, but the Dunmer are grounded in:
Quote:
Their combination of powerful intellects with strong and agile physiques produce superior warriors and sorcerers. On the battlefield, Dunmer are noted for their skill with a balanced integration of the sword, the bow and destruction magic.

They are much more than Mages of the School of Destruction, and it is wrong to view them as such.

Further, a Calm Spell is hardly:
Quote:
... well-educated and well-spoken ... Though physically less imposing than the other races, the Imperials have proved to be shrewd diplomats and traders ...

Additionally:
Quote:
The practice of eastern magic, or "Nudri-hi", is greatly frowned upon by Crown and Forebear alike, and outsiders are not tolerated in many parts of Hammerfell.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]