UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Which side do you support?
For Skyrim! For Ulfric Stormcloak! 36%  36%  [ 31 ]
For the Empire! For the Legion! 64%  64%  [ 55 ]
Total votes : 86
 Post subject: Re: The debate; Empire, or Stormcloaks?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS4, Nintendo Switch
UESPoints: 0
If anything, the Imperials are more dangerously racist than the Stormcloaks. Yes, beastkin are not allowed in most Skyrim cities, but in Cyrodiil, beastkin are kept in... The torture chambers. Ever been to Leyawiin? The Markarth Incident was more of a political thing than a race thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:15 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyim, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: Xbox 360
LordAshton wrote:
Derp53 wrote:
-That was Martin Septim, he turned into an avatar of Akatosh and defeated Molag Bal without any thalmor help. Get your facts right, it was Martin Septim, the thalmor only stopped daedra from overruning Alinor.

Uhm, it wasn't Bal that Martin defeated, but Dagon. You need to brush up on Oblivion

my bad, must have skipped over that by mistake. Both daedra lords are pretty easy to mix up anyway.

To denounce the evils of truth and love.
Until our post count reaches the stars above.

Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:22 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

Derp53 wrote:
LordAshton wrote:
Derp53 wrote:
-That was Martin Septim, he turned into an avatar of Akatosh and defeated Molag Bal without any thalmor help. Get your facts right, it was Martin Septim, the thalmor only stopped daedra from overruning Alinor.

Uhm, it wasn't Bal that Martin defeated, but Dagon. You need to brush up on Oblivion

my bad, must have skipped over that by mistake. Both daedra lords are pretty easy to mix up anyway.

Some Dagon and Bal worshipers would like to have a word with you. Don't worry. It won't hurt physically.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:23 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Br3admax wrote:
Racist-Towards everyone. Oblivion and Skyrim are full of racist Imperials.
Ignorant-Of Nordic beliefs and traditions. Also hate on beast folk.
Incapable of seeing the bigger picture-like the fact that the Thalmor that they are keeping out are right there.

So, yes, what you said describes Imperials too.

1. Towards everyone? really? Oblivion and Skyrim are not full of racist imperials and even if they were - it's not the same. It's like when you get mad when people say "usa is racis becus south states" (although rules state politics is a touchy subject, its just a comparison tho so i guess it's k in this situation)
I've never met a racist imperial in Skyrim and even if they were, they just say that the stormcloaks are barbarians (which they are).

2. Ignorant of nordic beliefs and traditions? Well they only banned worship of Talos it's not like they can't be nords and smash things, they just can't openly worship talos. It's actually more like Don't Ask Don't Tell in a weird way.
Hate on beast folk? hahah what did you get them mixed up or something? grasping at straws much.

3. Sorry i dont understand your answer. The Thalmor are right there? I dunno m8 they kinda won the war. The Empire not fighting on is another thing. the stormcloaks are like "oh noes we lost lets take skyrim for ourselves, even tho the empire is having fine control over it (pre ulfric being a d*****) and economic support and so on" because Skyrim for the nords (tell me how that isn't racist) because they want to Fight tha Powah and so on. Cba to write anymore because i'm going to bed but i'll have you know i killed it so don't bother responding.

Last edited by Super Mario 16-bit on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:26 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Technically, Tiber Septim was known to be a nord... Otherwise he wouldn't have been so popular in Skyrim.

Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Other Profiles: Algalon310, Cromsonbrood
Derp53 wrote:
Technically, Tiber Septim was known to be a nord... Otherwise he wouldn't have been so popular in Skyrim.

Nobody really knows the truth, so he is automatically nord.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:05 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, no, He couldn't have been a breton or imperial. Imperials weren't even a race when the writers at Bethesda wrote the lore and in every account and story he was in, it states he was a nord.

Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:38 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: Xbox: SargentLipton35
Super Mario 16-bit wrote:
Br3admax wrote:
Incapable of seeing the bigger picture-like the fact that the Thalmor that they are keeping out are right there.

1. Towards everyone? really? Oblivion and Skyrim are not full of racist imperials and even if they were - it's not the same. It's like when you get mad when people say "usa is racis becus south states" (although rules state politics is a touchy subject, its just a comparison tho so i guess it's k in this situation)
I've never met a racist imperial in Skyrim and even if they were, they just say that the stormcloaks are barbarians (which they are).

2. Ignorant of nordic beliefs and traditions? Well they only banned worship of Talos it's not like they can't be nords and smash things, they just can't openly worship talos. It's actually more like Don't Ask Don't Tell in a weird way.
Hate on beast folk? hahah what did you get them mixed up or something? grasping at straws much.

3. Sorry i dont understand your answer. The Thalmor are right there? I dunno m8 they kinda won the war. The Empire not fighting on is another thing. the stormcloaks are like "oh noes we lost lets take skyrim for ourselves, even tho the empire is having fine control over it (pre ulfric being a d*****) and economic support and so on" because Skyrim for the nords (tell me how that isn't racist) because they want to Fight tha Powah and so on. Cba to write anymore because i'm going to bed but i'll have you know i killed it so don't bother responding.

1. Yeah they are. remember the Dunmer count in Oblivion? remember what his people thought of him? And how are the Stormcloaks barbarians? Because they are rebelling? Or because they are Nords? Seems like someone else here is racist.

2. The Legion, besides the true Nords, are against the worship because of the law. And how many beast beggars were there in Cryodiil? At least they get some sort of job in Skyrim. (Not saying they are treated well.)

3. The Empire says they are the only thing keeping the Thalmor out of Skyrim, even know they almost control half of it already. And when they say "Skyrim for the Nords!" They aren't saying Skyrim should only have Nords, but shouldn't be controlled by Thalmor puppets.

Cba to write anymore because i'm going to bed but i'll have you know i killed it so don't bother responding.

I don't think you killed anything. Br3ad knows what he is talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:58 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: I-V
Platform: PS3, PC
Br3admax wrote:

Check it son, I live in "south states." Don't insult me or where I live. It's unbecoming and rude. Also, yeah they are. "He's a good count for a dunmer." Or those "filthy beasts" as the Countess in Leyawiin calls them. And racism is racism, even when it doesn't support your argument.
Quote:

Implying Don't Ask Don't Tell was a good thing. Implying that the above examples aren't true. Calling people cats and lizards. And you calling Nords vagabonds. All bad.
Quote:

This last part is gibberish and I can hardly understand it. It's weird because you talk about my not understanding while saying half words and all lies. Also I find this very insulting to me, my area of living, and the culture of my people, and I would like it very much if you desist such verbiage in the future. Also this shows a very fundamental lake of understanding of the basic Skyrim plot. It's almost completely wrong and it's sad that you are just throwing out insults to support your point.
Hidden:
DikaSmausha wrote:
Br3admax wrote:

1. Yeah they are. remember the Dunmer count in Oblivion? remember what his people thought of him? And how are the Stormcloaks barbarians? Because they are rebelling? Or because they are Nords? Seems like someone else here is racist.

2. The Legion, besides the true Nords, are against the worship because of the law. And how many beast beggars were there in Cryodiil? At least they get some sort of job in Skyrim. (Not saying they are treated well.)

3. The Empire says they are the only thing keeping the Thalmor out of Skyrim, even know they almost control half of it already. And when they say "Skyrim for the Nords!" They aren't saying Skyrim should only have Nords, but shouldn't be controlled by Thalmor puppets.

Cba to write anymore because i'm going to bed but i'll have you know i killed it so don't bother responding.

I don't think you killed anything. Br3ad knows what he is talking about.

I agree with this. The only thing you killed was your argument.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:14 am 
Guardian
Guardian

Br3admax wrote:

And that's why I typically side with the Stormcloaks. Imperial supporters are so convinced of their own self-righteousness that they believe incoherent gibberish will convince others.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

MidbossVyers wrote:
And that's why I typically side with nobody. Imperial/Ulfric supporters are so convinced of their own self-righteousness that they believe incoherent gibberish will convince others.

Just changed a few things for my opinion. the Stormcloaks, and especially Ulfric believe that they [the Nords] will lead to victory over the Thalmor. Self-righteousness for everyone!

And to say something about what others have said against the Empire being the only thing that stands between the Thalmor and Skyrim: I do not think that it is meant to be as an actual barrier but a metaphorical "they can't fully invade without our consent, so they have to answer to us in a way" kind of thing. Also, by land, the seat of the Empire, Cyrodiil, is indeed between the Thalmor and Skyrim.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:31 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Br3admax wrote:

I felt like I needed to answer:

1. Why do I get the feeling this is because they use light armor and not because of them charging into battle swing an axe every which direction? Nords do not need Imperial laws, you know. Ulfric is still a bully, but the Empire leaders are blind to everything but their nose.

2. They may not like it, but the Empire's choice weighs heavy on the Nords. and the whole hate on beast race is primarily because of the cat people (never can get the name spelled right) and the Argonians being treated horribly.

3. The Thalmor lost their entire invasion force. Now, I do not know the state of the Thalmor Military, but I assume it is not large enough to send another invasion force without risking the entire Dominion falling apart to rebellions and in fighting. The Empire still has men to back up any of Mede's bravado, and could have easily pulled more soldiers, but chose the coward's way out of the war.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:01 am 
Associate
Associate

Yes, my argument is destroyed because of strawmen and implications and cherry picking then applying to the whole nation.
And geez, take a joke, it's just a video game. Also I didn't insult anyone so there. All of you insulted me more.
I would side with the stormcloaks if Ulfric wasn't a powerhungry brute. IMO.

Because a city, which btw is the capital of the Empire has a lot of beggars doesn't mean it's racist towards that race. Every country in the world has beggars but why don't they just give them a job??? Clearly they must be racist.

Also the south state wasn't an attack on you or whatevs, it was just to show how easily people call a country racist based on cherrypicking quotes from a few individuals and applying theem to the majority.
And sorry for not having perfect grammar and spelling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:23 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, my argument is destroyed because of strawmen and implications and cherry picking then applying to the whole nation.
And geez, take a joke, it's just a video game. Also I didn't insult anyone so there. All of you insulted me more.

Because a city, which btw is the capital of the Empire has a lot of beggars doesn't mean it's racist towards that race. Every country in the world has beggars but why don't they just give them a job??? Clearly they must be racist.

Also the south state wasn't an attack on you or whatevs, it was just to show how easily people call a country racist based on cherrypicking quotes from a few individuals and applying theem to the majority.

I honestly feel that the third point about the Thalmor was plain wrong. nothing else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:50 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

It's not a funny joke. It's insulting and very uncalled for. What was the point to it? Did you honestly believe that anyone would laugh at such derogatory speech? And in your opinion being right, sense there is nothing brutish about Ulfric at all. Power hungry=/= brutish. Or is it his Nordness that makes him brutish, I wonder?
Quote:

Ignoring the other points, ignoring a point that is even valid in this world. Strawmanning your own argument against strawmanning, which none of us but you have used so far. And that wasn't even the right city. The city with a very racist countess is the right city.
Quote:

It was obviously an insult, followed by you saying things like, "Fight tha Powah" and then telling me that you just "killed it" so I should stop talking, when really all you've done is proven how bias you are towards everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:47 pm 
Champion
Champion

Br3admax wrote:
Strawmanning your own argument against strawmanning, which none of us but you have used so far.

Seriously though, you called the guy racist for daring to side against a faction comprised almost entirely of one ethnic group. That seems pretty strawman to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:49 pm 
Associate
Associate

Ad hominem <3
I give up. I can't be bothered to discuss with people who twist my words to further their point and who keep saying "Oh you're racist for not liking the Stormcloaks who are totally not racist even though they don't like elves or beast races" and call me racist for not thinking Ulfric is the best thing ever since kebab (immigrants4lyf).
EMPIRE4LYF! 187 on a Stormcloak buster.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:05 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Veck wrote:
Br3admax wrote:
Strawmanning your own argument against strawmanning, which none of us but you have used so far.

Seriously though, you called the guy racist for daring to side against a faction comprised almost entirely of one ethnic group. That seems pretty strawman to me.

Is this serious? Veck, you are using game mechanics as lore. And it's not like they stop people from joining because of their race.
Ad hominem <3
I give up. I can't be bothered to discuss with people who twist my words to further their point and who keep saying "Oh you're racist for not liking the Stormcloaks who are totally not racist even though they don't like elves or beast races" and call me racist for not thinking Ulfric is the best thing ever since kebab (immigrants4lyf).
EMPIRE4LYF! 187 on a Stormcloak buster.

You called all Nords brutes and then went on to explain how it was okay for the Empire to call them barbarians because they were Nords. That is racist.

I don't know why no one likes to use actual evidence when debating? Why does no one like to actually look in game for there evidence. There are plenty of reasons to not join the Stormcloaks. One of them isn't, "They's Nords and they's racist." Every side is racist, both sides are mainly Nords. Both sides have done bad things. It's supposed to be a grey.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 pm 
Associate
Associate

Br3admax wrote:
You called all Nords brutes and then went on to explain how it was okay for the Empire to call them barbarians because they were Nords. That is racist.

I don't know why no one likes to use actual evidence when debating? Why does no one like to actually look in game for there evidence. There are plenty of reasons to not join the Stormcloaks. One of them isn't, "They's Nords and they's racist." Every side is racist, both sides are mainly Nords. Both sides have done bad things. It's supposed to be a grey.

OH WHAT THE
Ad hominem much? I never called all Nords brutes. I never said it was okay for the Empire to call them barbarians cause they are Nords. Stop putting words into my mouth. Jeez.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
UESPoints: 5
All right, I think we've had enough of the Empire vs. the Stormcloaks. There's no need to argue each other to the death...besides the obvious point that, well, death isn't very productive.

Locked down faster than a Talos party in Windhelm. No more topics on this subject, UESPF!

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15