UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: "Elder Scrolls Online reveal in May - report"
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:31 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Steam: orthanq
UESPoints: 0
The people who say we should wait and see are probably right, but you can't deny it's looking like total [&@%!] right now.

- Cartoony, WoW-like visuals

- No real-time combat.

- Third person

- No housing

- Horrible MMO things like a 'hotbar'

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
Those people do not look cartooney or WOW like to me at all, actually. I played WOW every day for several years. This is not the same style, either in scenery or characters. In fact, it's pretty high texture looking stuff. Not anywhere near the level of Skyrim but good for an MMO.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:31 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pilaf The Defiler wrote:
Those people do not look cartooney or WOW like to me at all, actually. I played WOW every day for several years. This is not the same style, either in scenery or characters. In fact, it's pretty high texture looking stuff. Not anywhere near the level of Skyrim but good for an MMO.

Yeah...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:32 pm 
Master
Master

Abel wrote:
snip

Guild Wars 2 has a hotbar and is being hauled as the savior as MMOs for being so different.

Also ESO has a stamina system that lets you
-Sprint
-Block attacks
-Interrupt
-negate some spell effects like being frozen in place

Also your hotbar is limited, like in guild wars, so you cant do all WoW with hotbars covering the screen.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

SajuukKhar wrote:
Abel wrote:
snip

guild wars 2 has a hotbar and is beig hauiled as the savior as MMos for being so diffrent.

Also ESO has a stamina system that lets you
-Sprint
-Block attacks
-Interupt
-negate some spell effects like being frozen in place

Well, I'm kinda looking forward to Guild Wars 2. It seems that game really is different. From what I've heard so far TES Online will be just another generic MMO. ZeniMax can prove me wrong by delivering an epic MMO, but at this point I just don't see it happening.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:37 pm 
Master
Master

Abel wrote:
Well, I'm kinda looking forward to Guild Wars 2. It seems that game really is different. From what I've heard so far TES Online will be just another generic MMO. ZeniMax can prove me wrong by delivering an epic MMO, but at this point I just don't see it happening.

I have read the game informer scans and TES Online seems closer to GW2 then to WoW

-The stamina system that lets you
--Sprint
--Block attacks
--Interrupt
--Negate some spell effects like being frozen in place

-You can combine skills between classes, like a rouge oil slick and a mage fireball to create a firewall

-Your hotbar is limited in size, so no WoW 10 hotbars covering the screen

-Your Weapon choice determines at least two of your skills, and the last skill on your bar is a special finesse move.

-There is the Skyrim compass and markers

-Fast Travel to certain places

-Hubless quest design, so no walking to cities to get all you quests

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:30 am 
Master
Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfal, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion + DLC, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
BlackDrake wrote:
Yes, alongside Bethesda. That means Bethesda will have a part in this, and since they aren't experienced, they don't know what will be good in one. So, essentially, I suppose it won't be Bethesda making it in it's entirety, but they're gonna have a big hand in it.

In these types of cases the big company will only be a guiding hand to the art and writing directive.

Its like the creators of South Park looming iver Obsidian while they make their South Park game.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:52 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Trelares wrote:
Maybe I am just to lore curious but alone the setting seem to create giantic loopholes.

The Aldmer Dominion was formed in 2E830 so the game setting can't be before that period of time, if we assume that the older report about the setting in the 2nd era was right.
But then I don't see how there can be a Nord, Dunmer, Argonian coaliton. Nords and Argonian were almost always enemies of the Dunmer.
Also becoming emperror is really problematic. This would create a third empire before the rise of Tiber Septim/ or you would compete with Tiber also unlikely. I must say I have nothing against the mmo, but hopefully the story itself is non canon for TES Lore, the whole 2nd era will be a mess otherwise.

Becoming Emperor is only a minor 'top of the leader board' mechanism, and not an actual long-term title given to any player. Essentially, the three alliances fight for Cyrodiil, fighting Molag Bal's minions as they do, and when one captures the IC, the player who contributed most, as measured by game mechanisms, to their conquest of Cyrodiil is crowned Emperor, until one of the other two alliances wrest the IC from their clutches.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:21 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

Yes, and as I said before this doesn't grossly violate any established TES lore of any type, since this time period was known for warring factions vieing for the throne. It's not at all unrealistic to imagine a succession of petty "Emperors" who are quickly dethroned when an Empire is plunging into chaos. It's happened many times historically in our own world, and it's assumed to have happened more than once between the death of the Akaviri Potentate and the ascent of Tiber Septim.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:54 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: All
Platform: All
OblivionDuruza wrote:
Trelares wrote:
Maybe I am just to lore curious but alone the setting seem to create giantic loopholes.

The Aldmer Dominion was formed in 2E830 so the game setting can't be before that period of time, if we assume that the older report about the setting in the 2nd era was right.
But then I don't see how there can be a Nord, Dunmer, Argonian coaliton. Nords and Argonian were almost always enemies of the Dunmer.
Also becoming emperror is really problematic. This would create a third empire before the rise of Tiber Septim/ or you would compete with Tiber also unlikely. I must say I have nothing against the mmo, but hopefully the story itself is non canon for TES Lore, the whole 2nd era will be a mess otherwise.

Becoming Emperor is only a minor 'top of the leader board' mechanism, and not an actual long-term title given to any player. Essentially, the three alliances fight for Cyrodiil, fighting Molag Bal's minions as they do, and when one captures the IC, the player who contributed most, as measured by game mechanisms, to their conquest of Cyrodiil is crowned Emperor, until one of the other two alliances wrest the IC from their clutches.

Reminds me of Chromehounds, which had some of the most intense battles I've ever seen. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:04 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

I actually really am in love with the idea of Cyrodill as a pVp battleground. It's the best idea about the whole thing for me. I also love how different classes can combine their moves for combos, and how it's not a "tank and spank" MMO.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:06 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
See, that's what [&@%!] me off - three factions at war for the control of Cyrodiil, fragile balance and power frequently changing hands - this is such a brilliant concept, you could have intrigue, politics, aliances and betrayals, complex strategies - you know, plot. And instead it looks like they went it dumbed it down to a three-sided capture-the-flag kind of thing... That's just sad.

Rule #137: Always waste time when you don't have any.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:24 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

dzio wrote:
See, that's what [&@%!] me off - three factions at war for the control of Cyrodiil, fragile balance and power frequently changing hands - this is such a brilliant concept, you could have intrigue, politics, aliances and betrayals, complex strategies - you know, plot. And instead it looks like they went it dumbed it down to a three-sided capture-the-flag kind of thing... That's just sad.

That's the end-game pVp aspect. You nor I have any idea how the three factions plotline will play into the 120 plus hours of gameplay leading up to that. At all. Literally. We know next to nothing. When you assume you make an ass out of you and me, so let's reserve judgement.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:46 pm 
Champion
Champion

Notice that I've said "looks like". And also notice that I've said that the general idea, if executed properly, was awesome. If they actually make it into a complex and satisfying plot, I will be very pleasantly surprised, but "endgame PvP arena" doesn't exactly spell "intriguing story" to me. I can see one way they can avoid turning it into this CtF thing I've mentioned - if the actual twisted and complicated plot happens before and it all leads to the final battle for the control of the Imperial City, which is only a small part of the overal storyline. I can see this working beautifully in single-player game, but I think this would be extremely difficult to put into a coherent story for a sandbox MMO, where every player plays at their own time and speed. What are they going to do - reset the conflict to just before the climax every 8 hours? If the battle is raging constantly, what was all that story and intrigue and political manouvering about? What with the players who don't give a damn about the plot, and just want to smash things, so they head straight for the battle, without caring what it is about?

Rule #137: Always waste time when you don't have any.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

This photoshop just proves that it looks like WoW and friends.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:07 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Abel wrote:
This photoshop just proves that it looks like WoW and friends.

Spoiler:

ROFL

2 funny!

*edit*

sad but possibly tru dat ...

my god carries a big hammer. yours got nailed to a cross. questions?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:30 am 
Master
Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfal, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion + DLC, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
dzio wrote:
Notice that I've said "looks like". And also notice that I've said that the general idea, if executed properly, was awesome. If they actually make it into a complex and satisfying plot, I will be very pleasantly surprised, but "endgame PvP arena" doesn't exactly spell "intriguing story" to me. I can see one way they can avoid turning it into this CtF thing I've mentioned - if the actual twisted and complicated plot happens before and it all leads to the final battle for the control of the Imperial City, which is only a small part of the overal storyline. I can see this working beautifully in single-player game, but I think this would be extremely difficult to put into a coherent story for a sandbox MMO, where every player plays at their own time and speed. What are they going to do - reset the conflict to just before the climax every 8 hours? If the battle is raging constantly, what was all that story and intrigue and political manouvering about? What with the players who don't give a damn about the plot, and just want to smash things, so they head straight for the battle, without caring what it is about?

I see two possible ways for them to do PvP.

They could go about the WoW, where a grand majority of PvP is situated in closed arenas for different groups to fight in; and all other PvP is just random encounters on PvP servers. It's not a very involved way for PvP, but it makes for a casual jump in and out experience with little consequence to failing.

The other way is the EVE way. This is where PvP is set in player controlled game space and is mainly territorial. This could work for the setting of ES Online where there are three factions competing for control of game locations. However fighting like this requires a lot of planning, team work and command structure and thus a more mature player base.

And from what I've seen with the majority of players Skyrim has influxed, I doubt the EVE way would grab their attention.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:33 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

I dunno..it seems like they're handling dungeons in a more "mature gamer" way by avoiding the standard "tank n spank" method and "holy three" of modern MMO class/party structure, so perhaps pVp will have similar elements of divergence.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:13 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Platform: Xbox 360
SajuukKhar wrote:

Spoiler:
Apparently the game has

-Three factions
--Ebonheart pact: Nords, Dunmer, Argoanion
--Aldmeri dominion: Altmer, Bosmer, Khajiit
--Daggerfall Covenant: Orcs, Redguards, Bretons

-the Imperials are "badguys" work with the Tharn family and Manimmarco, Manimmaro is selling everyone out to Molag ball.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I was excited about the game until I read this. There's no point in playing if I can't be an Imperial.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2