UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Skyrim Vs Morrowind
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:30 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 0
It is safe to say that Oblivion is the weakest out of the three, (but still amazing) so which game do you prefer? Skyrim or Morrowind eh?

Post subject: Re: Skyrim Vs Morrowind
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
I'm not sure this is the most appropriate Forum for this topic, it might fit better in TES General.

As such, I love all three for their own unique aspects, although Morrowind is probably my favourite.

I love Oblivion's UI above the other two, although I wish it would be less zoomed in than it was. I love the style and the set-up, even though it might not be the 'best' going round. I also love Oblivion for the ease of play I felt with it, it's just so easy to play, the controls feel natural, it's not particularly difficult, it's relaxing in a way. That, and Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game.

I love Morrowind, particularly for the Dunmeri culture, and the vivid Faction system. I love the grim, gritty nature of the game, I love the expansive skill set and the classes, I love the vast range of magic, the complexity of it all. I love the Dunmer themselves, because they make you feel like an outsider, in a way that is not overdone, and eventually, you can earn your place in their society.

I love Skyrim, although it is not my favourite. The graphics are amazing, not just because they are new, but because the style is again, gritty and real. I love the return of conflicting questlines, although I personally think Morrowind did this better, and that Oblivion had more defined questlines, because it does not feature the Radiant AI. However, I do love the new dual wielding system and its fluidity of combat. I love the vibrant characters of the Empire, Stormcloaks and Thalmor, and I love the expansive cities that are prominent in Skyrim's landscape.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:11 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'd put Skyrim on similar terms as Morrowind, mostly because the each have their faults that balance out from their strengths.
And that's a lot for me to say since Nords are in my top 3 "Least favorite races"

Oblivion lags behind, the middle child of a rich family, not as excitingly new or respected with age, it's consistent if anything.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:30 am 
Undecided
Undecided

ES Games: Oblivion (SI); Skyrim (DB)
Platform: Steam, XBox
Other Profiles: DarkSpark135
UESPoints: 5
My first game was Morrowind, but the farthest I got around with it consisted of me jabbing a few mudcrabs with a dagger, being chased out of a canyon by cliff racers, trying to murder mercenaries with the Lovers' Kiss, and robbing the warm corpse of a lovestruck Breton who fell in love with her Dunmer robber (I needed some new clothes more than the romance story).

It was a bit overwhelming for a first-timer looking to smash things.

Oblivion— ugh: smashing things was the easy bit. Now I was exerting myself to insert little quibbles of storytelling into the slaughterhouse. Very much a 'sandbox', if you were left with but a few toys, a cereal box or two and almost no pre-packaged story to guide (or hinder) you on the way.

I had to let my imagination run rampant. I will leave it to the opinion of others whether or not that was such a good thing.

Casandra: At the moment, the deadliest weapon at my disposal is a goblin's head on a stick. I'd be worried if this was the plan.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:14 pm 
Layman
Layman

I agree with all of you. Each game is unique, each game has specific ups and downs. Oblivion was too my first Elder Scrolls game so I have a natural attachment to it. It's just that I played Morrowind in-between Oblivion and Skyrim and WOW, Oblivion lacked imagination. Each city in Morrowind had new and awesome architecture. In Oblivion the buildings lacked variation. (still beautiful don't get me wrong) I was reading for years how everyone thought Morrowind was better than Oblivion. So I finally played it and had to agree. I mean, Vivec, all of the tree cities (Tal Mora etc), the cities in the Sheogorath regions. It doesn't make sense how each city was so carefully individualistic and in Oblivion they are almost all the same.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:59 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim. Mojang's Scrolls.
Platform: PC!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't played Skyrim yet, but I got to say, that the reason why I love Morrowind so much is because the world feels so much more handcrafted than Oblivion was.

Oblivion has everything where it counts though, and is amazing with the fact that it feels a lot easier and more comfortable to play. The mods that have spotted Oblivion, too...are incredible and can prolong it's longevity for players three times as much as normal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:15 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
Morrowind over Skyrim over Oblivion for me. Daggerfall is too old to really have a fair comparison. All of them are really good though.

Morrowind: Best story, best writing, the most choice in how you customize your character (the most important things in an RPG to me).

Skyrim has the best combat. Leveling and perk system has grown on me, I like it. Questlines are too short. Too much simplification in armor and item effects. Lots of unbalanced stuff like smithing and small rewards for big quests.

Oblivion just seems like an awkward transitional phase to me. I agree that the user interface is better than Skyrim.

Graphics on all three aren't really too hot when you compare them to other games. Oblivion had pretty good graphics for the time I guess. AI is a big issue for the whole series but its more apparent in Oblivion and Skyrim.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Arena, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC
So far, Morrowind > Sykrim > Oblivion, and I doubt that's going to change.

Mostly for the reasons above: Skyrim is great, but it doesn't feel like they made any effort to make sure it's comfortable for PC players. Oblivion is good, but the story/quests could be better, it's mostly "go there, kill bunch of guys, come back and get your reward. repeat." And Morrowind... maybe it's just because it was the first TES game I played, but there's something about it that keeps pulling me back into it. There are so many parts of that country I haven't explored even after 5 years or so of playing. Many quests I haven't done. The atmosphere... just proves that you don't need good graphics to create the right feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:32 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Daggerfall, Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
I would definitely have to say Morrowind is the best, then Skyrim, then Oblivion. Morrowind was awesome in the dynamics of play and just downright fun. You had your main storyline but yet you could deal with all these factions and have some crazy adventures. My gaming best gaming memories are between Asheron's Call and Morrowind. When they introduced Goblins in the first expansion ( if memory serves me right ) I was around level 20 and had pretty decent armor and thought "it's just goblins...I'll go check them out and kill a few." I went down to the sewers and when that goblin hit me I was like "Whoa! Time to retreat and rethink!" LMBO! I loved it because it didn't allow me to get too comfortable and end up getting bored. Cliff Racers were a tad annoying but I assure you that I ended up the best archer. Hehehe that is what it is all about. Skyrim is interesting because you are not that focused on the armor parts and I like the new fighting system. Being able to cast and/or use a weapon rocks! I do miss the great journal system that was in Morrowind. Could always look up what you did, where you are, andwhere you are headed. I also miss good maps. I am not very pleased with the maps in Skyrim. I could go on but some of my point is made. 'Nuff said!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:47 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblvion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3
Im a huge Morrowind fan, it really blow my mind when i played it multipli times, and therefor it has a big sentimental value for me...
In Oblivion i felt like i was guide the whole way, it didn't hav the feeling of free choice and the impact on the land. In Skyrim if feels like when you choose a side of civil war it changes the world, some of the factions quest also gives this feeling in Skyrim. Skyrim is way better then Oblivion when it comes to factions and numbers and of factions you can join, but not as superoir as Morrowind.
I only had one character in Skyrim so fare, so its to early for me to say if witch one is the winner, but Skyrim looks like a worthy opponent!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:38 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Oblivion, dabbeled with Morrowind
Platform: PC (fmrly. X360)
I'll be honest... I think Skyrim is by far the worst Elder Scrolls game made to date. Sure, it's new and shiny but, it lacks so much of what Morrowind and (in my opinion) the superior Oblivion (Oblivion had better mods IMHO) had. In a few months, we'll see how it will go. Either the CK will breathe life into it or we'll find it to restrictive of us and we won't be able to put out the content that we did with Oblivion and Morrowind. Content, which really makes TES what it is...

So far for me it goes

Oblivion (Mods) > Morrowind (Mods) > Morrowind (Vaniller) > Oblivion (Vaniller) > Skyrim

and Skyrim is no where near a frontrunner in that pack... Only reason I find my self playing it is because I want to find out about Fourth Era lore but, I can get that on the forums.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:22 am 
Warder
Warder

Platform: PC
I adored Morrowind for it's unique design, depth of lore and awesome MQ but the mechanics really didn't age well for me. Try as I might I just can't get back into it anymore. Image
While Skyrim doesn't feel quite as deep as Morrowind did I must say that I've completely fallen for the mechanics. Morrowind with Skyrim's mechanics would probably be the best game for me but fantasies aside I'll have to give Skyrim 1st place for now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:41 am 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

ES Games: Mw, Ob, Sk
UESPoints: 1
far, far too early to tell

i have played skyrim for 3 weeks, but i played both the others for years

remembering back to my "first impressions" of TES3 and TES4, i think Skyrim compares pretty favourably, but as anyone who plays these games knows, its in the years of replaying that the series really shines

ask me again in 2013

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:50 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Arena, skyrim
Platform: PS3
Oblivion was my first tes, i loved and still love it today, i personally dont feel restricted to the main quest at all. Skyrim is barely above that just barely, in that i feel no need at all to do the mainquest qhich sorta saddens me. And morrowind never really could get into it.

"The only reason you could disagree is because your are losing so badly you cannot see it." -J'zargo
Brisalkar: MyNation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:00 pm 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

early impressions though, i really like how they have got rid of major minor skills, essentially the game play won't be effected, cos most players 'naturally' developing their characters, will stick with the few skills they are good at, and as they get harder to increase, levelling will be slower. And you have the freedom to change careers and start a new path, which will be a bit risky perhaps because you'll be up against high level beasties with relatively low score skills, so there's balance there

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:18 am 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
Please don't make me choose can't I just love them both?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:41 am 
Warder
Warder

Platform: PC Master Race
Morrowind: YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE, MY ONLY SUNSHINE!

Oblivion: *blank stare*

Skyrim: I forgive you, Bethesda!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:17 am 
Layman
Layman

Yes, yes you can like them both.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:17 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: III, IV, V
Platform: Xbox
Morrowind was my first Elder Scrolls game, so I have that special connection to it.. but I think it has the best writing, world, and feeling to it. I loved the stories and how in the Main Quest you never actually knew if you actually were the reincarnated Narevarine, savior of Morrowind, or just a pawn of the Empire playing off the local superstition. The world felt huge, unique, and alive. All the places and regions were totally different, but you never felt comfortable because no one trusted you, because you were the outlander. The complexity of the game made it so much fun to play, also.
And Skyrim has the best graphics and mechanics of all, no doubt. I love the world, but not as much as Morrowind. Yet there is that feel of being in an unknown place with danger and the unknown everywhere, that Morrowind had and I felt was absent in Oblivion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:37 pm 
Warder
Warder

Platform: PC Master Race
I felt that Morrowind was awesome because it had mushroom trees and saltrice and kagouti and bug-shell armor, and not boring old steel plate and apples and wolves and pine trees.

I was actually really angry when I saw a minotaur in Oblivion. I almost threw my keyboard at my monitor. It was Yet Another Generic Fantasy Game(tm), whereas Morrowind felt UNIQUE.

My anger has cooled and I just stopped caring when Skyrim came along. But I'm a sucker for nordic stuff and I've always wanted to know more about the whole shouting and throat of the world from that Sky Children book I read in Morrowind almost a decade ago. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:42 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Skyrim! Oblivion GOTY, Morrowind!
Platform: Xbox 360
Haha! No-one loves Oblivion the most LMAO! Yeah, I played Oblivion before Morrowind which kinda made Morrowind unplayable to me... the graphics and the fact that I had it on PC put me off the most... shallow I know! Anyway, Skyrim is my favourite so far. It's not just cause it's the new game or whatever, it's just so beautiful and so frickin' AWESOME! LMAO! Oblivion a close second. How can I put it last when I put over 500 hours of my life into it over 5 very enjoyable years? Last is Morrowind for the reasons mentioned above. If I played it more then I did then I may have been able to get into it but meh, Skyrim's out now sooooooooo...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:53 pm 
Layman
Layman

Morrowind got old. The various updates for it (MW 2009, etc) are so user-unfriendly and difficult to configure that by the time I get stuff configured, I don't care to play it anymore. The feeling of being in this alien world was unparallelled by any other game at the time. But then again...it's just so dang ugly. Not in terms of graphics, but art. There was a retexture part for the Telvanni areas (do I have the name right? The big mushroom areas) that made it a lot greener. Required for playing the game.

That said, I had several characters that I played hundreds of hours with.

Oblivion was a whole lot of fun, but it's not as replayable as Morrowind. You can do everything in the game with one character. Still, I had a 100+ hour character on console, and another 100+ hour character on PC. There are some great mods, especially the Unique Landscapes collection; though I know I have yet to scratch the surface. Is there a mod that brings the Goblin lore to life (that they will war over their totems)?

People like to talk smack on Oblivion gates being repetitive. They really are, but you only have to do like three of them to finish the main quest.

Skyrim is fantastic. It's so beautiful, unlike anything in Morrowind or Oblivion. Voice acting is just as repetitive as Oblivions, which is a letdown. Combat is better, and though it could be improved, I do enjoy the favorites system. Hopefully in a year or so the mod scene will have really torn the game apart (what's up with that guy who criticized Skyrim for not having as good mods as Oblivion? The CS isn't even available yet!). So far it's my favorite game to explore and experience. Yeah, there could be some more variety in creatures (Draugr are getting old), and some of the civil war missions are pretty half-assed, but I've never had more straight fun with an Elder Scrolls game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox360, Xbox, PC
has to be morowind, skyrim and oblivion held my hand a little bit much for me to like them as much as morrowind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:33 am 
The New Number Two
The New Number Two

getting the feel for the series now, morrowind was excellent but the limited and sometimes monotonous graphics, as well as the fiddly/over complicated game mechanics made the emphasis far more on the plot, and that made Mw almost opposite to oblivion with its simplified/truncated gameplay, modular story lines, and revamped graphics/physics.. since most of us love plot more than slick pictures, i think Mw won in most peoples minds, but i actually like them both equally

skyrim seems to have the best of both, tho i have only played it for 6 weeks and i played both the others for several years. One thing that is becoming apparent to me is the perks trees in Skyrim allow for some quite over powered characters to be built, and 'exploring' this will be the challenge fro TES5 imo, much like the levelling problem in oblivion , or trying to manage the awkward quest/journal system in Morrowind were major issues in the other two

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:46 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: xbox, xbox 360
So as my first post on UESP I would like to just say Hi!

Now. . . MORROWIND is by far my favorite!
Oblivion had a lot of great additions like the ability to chose to block, and a better lock picking and sneaking system than Morrowind, but Morrowind had a lot more items, and it just felt somewhat more submissive.

Skyrim is awesome and a mass improvement on Oblivion, but is still lacking in items and some elements of the story feel overly simple, but I enjoy the easy of combat the beauty of the world and music, and just DRAGONS!!
Anyways that's all I love the series and the games and each one adds things the others should of had.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next