UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Great House Redoran (Club/Faction)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:47 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition (PC), Oblivion Game of the Year edition
Platform: Playstation 3, PC
UESPoints: 0
House of the Wolf wrote:
Not bad, you?

Raskolnikov-like

Though to respond to the bringing it to the Council - it is ruled by the interests of each House. Which conflict, intervene and so on and so forth.

While not as disasterous as to make the 'Triple Alliance' and 'Triple Entente' type of situation, still Hlaalu, Telvanni, Dres, and even Redoran/Indoril will ally with those who may help achieve their goals. (Except Indoril and Redoran are only joining with Imperials when it for the Greater Good or protects citizens)

This is why Dres allied with Hlaalu during the war. Prospects of power.

Now putting this into the Council, it'd depend on not only the Council but also the Empire. (Who has little reason to give it up)

Say you do a Georgi Dimitrov (manage by all odds to win your case) - you still must deal with the Empire which opposes such an action. Why? Because they gain superprofits, due to owning of firms and not paying the workers. (The miners are slaves)

Thus they gain MORE than in normal capitalistic or feudalistic situations. Giving this up is only via military means or when they can't hold it. Diplomatically, we can get Morrowind on our side. It'd merely depend if the Empire would be able to exert their still-living power over Morrowind.

We control our traditions and Houses, but this only lasts until their interests are being disowned or rejected.

High Lord of the Great House of Indoril and Lord of Almalexia

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind (Xbox/PC), Oblivion (PS3/PC), Skyrim (PS3/Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360
So...we kill them? Sounds good to me. I'll take out Fort Darius so they don't flank us from the north.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:54 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition (PC), Oblivion Game of the Year edition
Diplomacy, and if that doesn't work (or if the people of Morrowind support our decision but the Empire doesn't) then we can invade and cite ancient lands or the corruption of the city. (As reason to 'relinquish' Hlaalu control over it.)

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:27 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind (Xbox/PC), Oblivion (PS3/PC), Skyrim (PS3/Xbox 360)
Platform: Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360
That first part'll go over well. The Imperials only really start listening when they know that they have a fight in front of them. Hopefully our reputation precedes us, otherwise a few legionnaire heads will have to be sent back to White-Gold.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim.
Platform: PC, Xbox 360
A FEW legionnaire heads? I say slaughter them. Round them up and cut them down. They'll only listen to diplomacy if 1) They are going to die otherwise, and 2) If the current Emperor is a coward. Even then, they'll want a good deal for themselves. Which they won't. Not with me around anyway.

But should it be so, I will allow any diplomacy to go forth...just don't expect me to like it ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:35 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Anyway, I would like to put forward a question; if we, as a whole, were to begin friendly relations with another House, who would be your preferred choice? Say, that a new Emperor was crowned, and was hell-bent on taking over Morrowind into total Imperial control.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
House Redoran, for me, has always been that nice House that the others tend to walk over, in that House Redoran is so busy protecting the Velothis from Nordic skirmishes and the Interior from the Blight that they do not become embroiled in the more intricate political manoeuvring of the other Houses. While House Indoril, and to a lesser extent, House Dres, might seem like natural allies for House Redoran, I feel that pre-Empire, Houses Indoril and Dres were the real coalition with power in Morrowind, and that House Redoran was in a way, the third wheel of the relationship, with House Hlaalu the weakling that the big kids picked on and House Telvanni being the cool, reserved kid who doesn't bother with the rest. This can be seen by the Indoril/Dres suggestion that the west should be abandoned in the event of an invasion by Tiber Septim and his Legions, so that they might wage a guerilla war in the Heartland, seeing Houses Redoran and Hlaalu in a way sacrificed for the good of Houses Indoril and Dres, and leaving House Redoran to stand alone to protect Morrowind's western flank. Later, during the Empire's reign, House Redoran did fight alongside House Indoril over slavery, but I feel that this was more a relationship of mutual advantage, and not necessarily friendship on the part of the Indoril, as the more fanatical Indoril sought to hold on to the ways of old, while the Redorans seem to take a more pragmatic approach, accepting and bearing a degree of respect for the legion and the Fighters Guild.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:29 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Personally, I'd say that I would push for better relations between Redoran and Indoril...maybe it's my hatred of the Imperials that make me say that, but it's also the fact that they are loyal to the Temple, and are very distasteful of the Imperials. In a war, you'd want a group of people who hate the enemy, would you not?

The only other House I would even consider would probably be House Dres, but because of their lack of support and man-power, it seems pointless...if they grew, however, I would be more inclined to ally with them.

There's also the problem of which Great House would be struck first. My Morrowind geography isn't great, admittedly, but the first to come under attack would probably be...Hlaalu? Now, the problem there is that all the council members of Hlaalu are corrupt and rather under-the-table types. If they requested aid, would we go? I damn well hope not. All they care about is money, and they'll throw us off at the earliest opportunity with a 'modest' amount of gold in our pockets...no sense of honour at all in that House, anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

It all depends really, House Redoran bears the brunt of the attacks against Morrowind, as most of these come from Skyrim. In fact, when the Legion was preparing to invade Morrowind, they massed near Blacklight and Silgrad Tower, two Redoran settlements. They actually ignored Kragenmoor, from what I am aware.

In regards to House Hlaalu, I can see a number of mutual points between the two Houses. Both Houses take a pragmatic approach tot he Empire, and when you strip away the corruption of the Camonna Tong and associated councillors, who are actually quite the fascists themselves, those like Dram Bero, would, in my view, work well with House Redoran.

That's not to say that I see House Hlaalu as a perfect fit, but I see Houses Redoran and Hlaalu as having been able to adapt much more effectively to the Empire in the past, and I also see House Indoril as dominating House Redoran due to House Redoran's devotion to following the command and the word of the Temple, and I think that unless House Redoran sticks up for itself in that relationship, we will see them used and abused as they were pre-Armistice, when House Indoril abandoned them.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I suppose if you DO take away the underhanded-ness of Hlaalu, it would be a simple matter of trust. Since they are the biggest Houses, would there be much trust? Maybe. They wouldn't have many enemies who could worry them, aside from the Empire.

To be fair, I forgot about that little matter between Indoril and Redoran...I think that should anything happen against the Empire, Indoril would want a piece of the action. However, I think they would quite possibly try to lead the charge, which I don't think is that great an idea. I mean, the only reason they'll see themselves in charge is because of their temple authority, and I, for one, would most likely try and break out of that little 'problem'. I'm not saying that Indoril is greedy in the slightest, but they have the one of the most (if not THE most) religious backgrounds, and I'm sure they'll use that to its greatest effect if the fighting does start.

I can see that both of us have left out Telvanni, Duruza. They're strong, but too isolationist. I very doubt they would consider any sort of treaty (or any diplomatic meeting, for that matter). They would, in my opinion, only care if their towers were under attack by Imperial war machines. Until then, they wouldn't give a damn.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:20 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

That's a point...has anyone here had any true contact with any member of Telvanni?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:49 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
BlackDrake wrote:
Anyway, I would like to put forward a question; if we, as a whole, were to begin friendly relations with another House, who would be your preferred choice? Say, that a new Emperor was crowned, and was hell-bent on taking over Morrowind into total Imperial control.

Indoril. We have the most in common.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:11 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Pilaf The Defiler wrote:
BlackDrake wrote:

Indoril. We have the most in common.

I suppose, but then history has taught us not to trust Indoril very much again. The power of the temple is literally controlled by Indoril (well, maybe not THAT bad), and we, of Redoran, tend to listen to the word of the Temple quite a lot. I wouldn't trust the Temple with my life in the best of circumstances, but especially not with the Indoril involved.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:15 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyim, Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: Xbox 360
may i joint this great house, i like the principles house Redoran stands for and they were the first house i joined in first morrowind playthru, if u would let me join i would be most grateful

To denounce the evils of truth and love.
Until our post count reaches the stars above.

Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:23 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome, welcome. Let me welcome you warmly into the ranks on behalf of the Great House of Redoran. I'd encourage you to check out the survey and to get involved in any discussion you might be interested in.

@BlackDrake: I certainly do feel that House Redoran's devotion to the Temple is both one of its great virtues, and one of its great weaknesses.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:03 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

thank you Duruza, but i do have some questions, do i start out as a hireling or a kinsman, or how does that work

Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 pm 
Champion
Champion

You choose what rank you desire.

Also Indoril is the only House to actually make any sort of diplomacy with that'll eventually aid us. Hlaalu is too tied up with both the Imperial-bourgeois transformation as well as being internally corrupted by it. Indoril can be used in the sense of popular-Front where we ally with the religious elements of Morrowind and use it to fight for Dunmer Self-Determination.

As Telvanni alienates itself from other Houses, Dres is merely a backstabber and switches between Graecophiles in terms of Slavocracy to Imperial-lovers with feudalism and developing capitalism.

VVV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:00 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

then i would like to be a kinsman, if that's ok

Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:45 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I made the change and I hope you'll be fairly active about the place in keeping with your title :wink:. I am about to reassess the House affiliated RP, which was closed in my absence due to school/exams and some more pressing irl issues, but which I have not abandoned, per se.

Velothi wrote:
Also Indoril is the only House to actually make any sort of diplomacy with that'll eventually aid us. Hlaalu is too tied up with both the Imperial-bourgeois transformation as well as being internally corrupted by it. Indoril can be used in the sense of popular-Front where we ally with the religious elements of Morrowind and use it to fight for Dunmer Self-Determination.

As Telvanni alienates itself from other Houses, Dres is merely a backstabber and switches between Graecophiles in terms of Slavocracy to Imperial-lovers with feudalism and developing capitalism.

An alliance with certain elements in House Hlaalu could strengthen them and lead them to root out the recent Imperial and Camonna Tong (which was a response to the Empire's occupation in part)-driven corruption that has struck the House. With Redoran backing, Councillors such as Dram Bero need not shrink into the shadows out of fear and might lead a reform that House Hlaalu is in desperate need of.

We know that the Tong is heavily ingrained on Vvardenfell, and that Helseth holds a degree of power through morally questionable hands on the mainland, but we do not know for certain the state of House Hlaalu in Narsis District and cannot assume there are not others like Bero in Hlaalu Council.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:03 pm 
Champion
Champion

Let us still draw back to traditional alliances and contradictions within the Houses.

Ultimately let's say that (ideally) somehow the corruption of House Hlaalu was stricken with the removal of the Cammona Tong and Ovras Dren from the Hlaalu hierarchy..This does not mean the Hlaalu branch in the Mainland will not be corrupt or will have their greed in place of a Greater-Diplomacy.

Whilst Indoril has the contradiction of dogmatic ideals and fantacism, they still have progressive elements within their House be it of a care for the people, self-determination of Morrowind or defending the interests of Morrowind over an Empire. (This is also evident in TR)

This - and traditionally House Redoran and Indoril have been in an okay relationship. However these certain elements within House Hlaalu that would aid the Red Party would either not be in positions or power or isolated near the actual Redoran border I suspect.

TR will provide more on this, so we will wait. With Sacred East's release, we can already see Indoril (too) is plagued with factional warfare.

VVV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:38 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

i think hlaalu is beyond reaching, people like bero maybe in house hlaalu but they are too few and far between and don't hold enough power, we ought strengthen our hold in blacklight and begin expanding our influence.

Spoiler:
Musicman247 wrote:
I don't suck, I blow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:07 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Not necessarily true, in my most sincere opinion. Look at Morrowind as a game, Bero is far from alone the very Duke of Vvardenfell, Vedam Dren, is much the same. In fact, it takes only the death of a single man, Orvas Dren, to bring about reform to the Vvardenfell Hlaalu Council on the part of the player. House Hlaalu is at a fork in the road and could easily splinter into a number of factions as depicted in the Pentannual Census of Morrowind of 4E166 we saw on the Beth Forums.

Velothi wrote:
This does not mean the Hlaalu branch in the Mainland will not be corrupt or will have their greed in place of a Greater-Diplomacy.

There's equally nothing to say that the corruption extends outside the Camonna Tong's influence, or the court of King Helseth, not a Hlaalu but a son of Wayrest.

Velothi wrote:
Whilst Indoril has the contradiction of dogmatic ideals and fantacism, they still have progressive elements within their House be it of a care for the people, self-determination of Morrowind or defending the interests of Morrowind over an Empire.

For me, the choice House Redoran has to make is whether it will follow the dogmatic path of those from the school of Bolvyn Venim or the more pragmatic line of those like Athyn Sarethi. On one hand, I want the Dunmer to retain their cultural identity and independence from the Empire, on the other I don't see the Empire and the Dunmeri culture as mutually exclusive. The Dunmer got it pretty good after the Treaty of the Armistice was signed, and it was Vivec after all that led the move for pragmatism in the face of this new challenge.

A reformed House Indoril in union with House Redoran and a Hlaalu cleansed of the influence of the Camonna Tong and other non-traditional (in the sense they are not truly Hlaalu) elements alongside the already reformed House Dres, would embody this school of thought. The Dunmer need to maintain the traditional practices of the past and to remain unyielding in the face of the Empire and it's influence (which we have seen bring with it both sweeping corruption, although not unequal to the corruption of elements of the Indoril dominated Temple hierarchy beforehand - one would suppose, and an unsavoury ultra-fascist element within the Dunmeri populace) whilst embracing the potential for benefit that it also brings and not allowing the past to weigh them down or hold them back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:20 pm 
Champion
Champion

The Problem comes to 'Can we Reform the system?' or 'can we truly have our independence?'

We've seen in real life how Reformism has failed again and again, leading to repression and ultimately - Empires aren't friendly. And for lack of a better term - we ARE under the Roman Empire which sought to conquer us twice. giving us our 'rights' (or what we deemed as 'rights) temporarily due to the fact we gave them a powerful weapon to make claim over the rest of the world.

The fact is - the 'Empire' culture is 'Imperial' to a chauvinistic extreme. We've seen these in the Imperial settlers and how they glorify the "Pax Romana" that has been brought due to the destruction of independence and self-determination in the rest of the world.

So it all depends what we mean by 'reformed'. House Dres, Indoril and Hlaalu all need to be 're-educated' rather to where they maintain their positions but are also capable of self-criticism, criticism as well as the ability to not fall for feudalistic/capitalist greed. (More so for Hlaalu and Dres in this case - as they specifically betrayed Dunmer sovereignty and brought us into an un-necessary conflict.)

Quote:
it was Vivec after all that led the move for pragmatism in the face of this new challenge.

It is, however, dogmatic to accept the rule of the Empire and not attempt a separation and prepare for it. The pragmatism of the situation is to unite the Houses of what we can and attempt to gain the opportunity to get the ability to secede from the Empire.

Dogmatic tendencies must be combated on all fronts.

Quote:
There's equally nothing to say that the corruption extends outside the Camonna Tong's influence, or the court of King Helseth, not a Hlaalu but a son of Wayrest.

So an Great House that relies on Imperial backing, as been on the supporting of Imperial-sided Capitalism, and ultimately having bourgeois-class in their ranks?

Yeah, I'd more than likely say there is a big-time corruption within House Hlaalu as there is corruption in Redoran, Indoril, Dres and obviously Telvanni. Now with Indoril it'd be corruption within the Temple hierarchy and the Indoril nobles attempting to best each other.

Redoran would be confronting traditionalism vs the progressive forces.

I'd rather wait for TR to make the quests on the matter.

VVV

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:44 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.
Platform: PC and Xbox 360
Hi! I'd like to join the forum version of House Redoran :D. Here's my answers to your quiz:

1. Why did you choose/like Great House Redoran? My character, Moncar Belvani, had had a tough life in Cyrodiil and therefore held a heavily romanticised view of Morrowind. He loved the customs his parents had taught him, and devoted himself to them to give himself an identity that separated him from the Imperials who despised him. When he arrived in Morrowind, he found House Redoran was a natural fit, as it embodied everything he had idolised since childhood. Protecting the customs, faith and identity of Dunmer against foreign influence was something that appealed to him.

2. Who is your favourite (in-game) councilor? Garisa Llethri, he has an awesome manor!

3. If you could pick any office in the Redoran family, what would it be? Archmaster :) (I spent a lot of time working my way to the top, and I wish to stay there haha)

4. What was your favourite quest for the House? Too many! Anything that evolves attacking other houses, the imperials or those pesky Daedra Worshippers. Hail the Almsivi! :P

5. Do you approve of Archmaster Venmin? In general, yes. Obviously, as a proud Redoran, I disapprove of his more 'Hlaalu' traits (his affairs and underhanded political tactics). But, I think a lot of his actions were necessary for the House to progress and remain a great power.

6. Is there anything special you do when playing a Redoran Character (roleplaying-wise)? I try not to buy from, or interact with, non-Dunmer merchants. I also avoid Telvanni, Hlaalu and Imperial towns like the plague (only visiting them when it's absolutely necessary!). I tend to stick to Ald-ruhn, Khuul, Maar Gan and Vivec.

7. What is your favourite Redoran related quote? I'm going to be boring and say: "Duty, Gravity, and Piety".

Round two:

What do you think of the Morag Tong? I dislike them, and have refused to join. A Redoran should fight his enemy toe-to-toe and not in a cowardly fashion haha.

Are you a supporter of the Tribunal Temple? Did you think they survived the Second Arnesian War? My character is a huge supporter of the Tribunal Temple, he's very close-minded and traditional. He hates the Imperial cult and the Daedra worshippers, he avoids the former at all costs and often massacres the latter group.

I don't know enough about the Argonian invasion to say.

Should Redoran militarily take back Caldera or attempt diplomacy with the damned imperial-pigs? Use military force! I would happily lead Redoran troops against the decadent, perfumed Imperial intruders :Twisted Evil: .

Do you support and serve in the pious Tribunal Temple? I'm the Patriarch :D, it makes a lot of sense for me to serve in the Temple.

Do you wish to put Hlaalu and Telvanni in their place with their illegal strongholds? Or shall we merely allow the Imperial Administration take care of them?

Hlaalu and Telvanni are Dunmer so we need to show restraint towards them (no mercy is to be shown to the Imperials or the slave races though!), we should only resort to military force when necessary. Our policy should be to politically outmanoeuvre them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind,Oblivion,Skyrim
Platform: PC
I'd also like to join, if its not too late.

So here is my take of the quiz:

1. Why did you choose/like Great House Redoran?: Well my first Nerevarine character was for the most part, a warrior, so it seemed only natural. and I like there city and culture.

2. Who is your favourite (in-game) councilor? Garisa Llethri: No idea. Last time I interacted with any of them was forever ago, and the names of characters in Morrowind have trouble sticking with me.

4. What was your favourite quest for the House?: I never advanced far enough to get into the more interesting ones.

5. I hate the Morog Tong

6. Should Redoran militarily take back Caldera or attempt diplomacy with the damned imperial-pigs: I despise warfare, so I say diplomacy, there's nothing unhonorable about that.
And the rest of them really don't apply to me, I know its pretty pathetic. I hope I doesn't effect anything. But House Redoran is the only house I have any relation or attachment to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next