UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC

Will Skryim be bigger than Morrowind content wise?
Yes 84%  84%  [ 37 ]
No 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Same size 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 44
 Post subject: Re: Skyrim , bigger than Morrowind?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:40 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (pre-ordered via Steam) :clap:
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
In any case, whether there is a little more or less content than Oblivion or Morrowind, it seems that it's still going to be massive.

I've been playing Oblivion for years, racked up several hundred hours and never finished any of the guild questlines except Dark Brotherhood. I got pretty far along in the Mage's Guild questline, probably about 80-90% complete, Fighter's Guild perhaps 10% and Thieves Guild probably 20% completed. As for the main quest, I have barely scratched the surface. (plan to finish the main quest by November)

I just started playing Morrowind a few weeks ago, and so far it seems like a game that could be enjoyed for quite a long time as well.

Considering what we know so far about Skyrim, since Radiant Story alters each playthrough to make it a bit unique, not to mention 280 different perks and deeper crafting to customize your character, greater complexity in interaction with NPCs, greatly improved character designs that make me want to try playing all the different races, etc., it seems safe to say it's a game I think I will be able to continue playing for years, even without any DLC.

Last edited by BootySweat on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:41 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Yeah exactly, the games have only been getting better, and Beth has only ever done what fans wanted. If anyone is to blame for 'failbivion' it's fans, we as a whole asked for the game to be easier, after being frustrated by the lack of direction and the lack of fast travel in Morrowind (not all of us mind you). But that, is a whole 'nother subject, so forget I said it.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:47 am 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
I LOVED Oblivion, still playing it now. I don't think they made it too easy. For one, if you don't level properly, you will get stopped on higher levels unless you turn the difficulty down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:49 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Arena
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
born2beagator wrote:
I LOVED Oblivion, still playing it now. I don't think they made it too easy. For one, if you don't level properly, you will get stopped on higher levels unless you turn the difficulty down.

ever play on every hard or even just hard? its anything but easy, I never understood why they said it was

the only thing I want to know is how much new lore is there? I love lore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well I meant on the 'hand-holding' thing, and also, don't get me wrong, just look at my username, I'm Oblivion's child, I just don't get why people complain about Morrowind being too hard, and then complain about Oblivion holding the players hand.

On the original topic though, with radiant story, arguably the content will be infinite.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:54 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

But how good will radiant be?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:58 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'd say just simple quests like go here, do this, kill her. The real juicy story-driven quests will have to be scripted, but there should be enough of those around, and the thing is, you don't have to do all the Radiant ones, if they get dull and repetitive.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:09 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion (GOTY)
Platform: Morrowind - PC, Oblivion - PS3
I think as far as variety and good quest lines, Morrowind will have far more than Skyrim could hope to have. Fighters, Mages, Thieves, Morang Tong, Redoran, Hlaalu, Telvanni, Tribunal, Imperial Cult, Imperial Legion, Main Quest.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:14 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Maybe its just me but morrowind did not have that great of quest, the storys where good but the quest where generic, get this grab that, while olbi tend to have more uniuqe ones

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:18 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (pre-ordered via Steam) :clap:
Wolfie wrote:
But how good will radiant be?

Todd mentioned in one of the E3 interviews that about 75% of the quests will be "dynamic."

That is to say that all the quests are written and planned by the designers, but certain roles will be determined when you first enter an area, such as a town.

For example, the quest giver, the reward, the location of the quest and other NPCs involved in the quest will be determined by Radiant Story analyzing such data as:

• which NPCs have children in a town
  • which NPCs like the player
  • which NPCs hate the player
  • how long it has been since the player fought a dragon
  • the player's reputation with specific factions
  • which nearby dungeons the player has never visited
  • which NPCs are currently alive
  • etc.

Then, at the moment the PC enters a particular city for example, Radiant Story might select a specific child with a parent belonging to a faction that hates the PC, remove that child from the town and place him in a dungeon the player has never visited, etc., in order to fill out the "roles" of the pre-written quest.

As for the other 25% of the quests that will not be "dynamic," I'm guessing these will be the most important quests, relating to the main quest or final quests in the faction questlines, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:47 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: PC, Xbox360
Wolfie wrote:
Maybe its just me but morrowind did not have that great of quest, the storys where good but the quest where generic, get this grab that, while olbi tend to have more uniuqe ones

I agree with this. It is probably Oblivion's greatest strength over Morrowind IMO. Quality>Quantity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:19 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion (GOTY)
Platform: Morrowind - PC, Oblivion - PS3
Wolfie wrote:
born2beagator wrote:

ever play on every hard or even just hard? its anything but easy, I never understood why they said it was

the only thing I want to know is how much new lore is there? I love lore

Yeah but hard in Oblivion is ridiculous. It's not good hard, it's stupidly done. Good difficulty is like Demons Souls, where the game is hard, but fair. In Oblivion it is not fair, the difficulty is done much more poorly.

And although a lot of Oblivion's problems were due to the fans, the biggest problem, by far, falls on Bethesda. The world was boring, dull, bland, the lore, politics and the history were far inferior to Morrowind.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:29 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: Xbox, Playstation 3
I think that can draw from opinion though too. I love the atmosphere of Oblivion. I never really fell in love with Morrowind. Although it has been aaaaaaaaages since I played Morro. But I can see how you may feel Obliv wasn't too rich in certain areas. Overall though, I mean, I love Obliv, and if I played Morro now, I'd prob love that too, for other reasons, and some the same. The fact you could wear clothing under armour for example, that was cool. Outside cities I think Obliv could've been a bit denser with poeple etc, but in the cities I really think it was done pretty damn well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:24 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I dont want this to turn to a morrowind vs obliv so I'll just PM you if you want to talk about morrowind vs obliion

Anyways, morrowind was not that big compared to Obliv, yes it had the most quest but out of all content it was quite small

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:51 am 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion
Platform: Xbox, Playstation 3
People had supported Morro so I was just throwing my hat in Obliv's corner, as I feel it was richer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:04 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC and PS3
BootySweat wrote:
I've been playing Oblivion for years, racked up several hundred hours and never finished any of the guild questlines except Dark Brotherhood. I got pretty far along in the Mage's Guild questline, probably about 80-90% complete, Fighter's Guild perhaps 10% and Thieves Guild probably 20% completed. As for the main quest, I have barely scratched the surface. (plan to finish the main quest by November)

WTF?

I'm not being a smart arse or saying I'm an Oblivion master.... but I farted yesterday and finished the DB quest line.

Several hundred hours? Good lord.... That's what I'd call too much fore-play. Just get the job done already!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:51 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Dagger Fall (somewhat), Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC and Xbox 360
It depends on what you mean by “bigger”. It does sound like beth is adding a lot more random/side quests to skyrim so in that sense it would be bigger. Also, skyrim is definitely their largest game when it comes to sheer technology and scope. However, if you’re talking about the physical size of the land, Morrowind is absolutely bigger. Morrowind (in size) was a bigger game than Oblivion and Beth has already confirmed that Skyrim in roughly the same size as Oblivion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ronenum wrote:
It depends on what you mean by “bigger”. It does sound like beth is adding a lot more random/side quests to skyrim so in that sense it would be bigger. Also, skyrim is definitely their largest game when it comes to sheer technology and scope. However, if you’re talking about the physical size of the land, Morrowind is absolutely bigger. Morrowind (in size) was a bigger game than Oblivion and Beth has already confirmed that Skyrim in roughly the same size as Oblivion.

:? Morrowind was not bigger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:05 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Wolfie wrote:
ronenum wrote:

erm...in land mass size yes, it was...you don't remember going for 30min (real time) full sprint to get only half was across the map...? in Oblivion with a fast character you can make it from border to border in nearly the same time. (and yes I know Morrowind characters are a bit slower.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:12 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Skyrim!, Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360
I think there will be a lot less traveling in skyrim... but at the same time more action...i feel there will be things everywhere. only a few "dead" areas where there is nothing important there

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:17 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Wolfie wrote:
ronenum wrote:

My friend, I looked it up and you are right. I wasn't remembering the interview I read correctly. What they said was that Morrowind and Oblivion were about the same size and skyrim will be a bit bigger.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:22 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Skyrim!, Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360
Morrowind.... 10 square miles.
oblivion 16 square miles..
Morrowind was not bigger. skyrim will be the about the same size as oblivion(plus mountains)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:16 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
Platform: xbox 360
lostlast wrote:
BootySweat wrote:

WTF?

I'm not being a smart arse or saying I'm an Oblivion master.... but I farted yesterday and finished the DB quest line.

Several hundred hours? Good lord.... That's what I'd call too much fore-play. Just get the job done already!

Yeah, i was a little surprised as well. I've finished all the guild lines multiple times, and the DB line a LOT

ronenum wrote:
erm...in land mass size yes, it was...you don't remember going for 30min (real time) full sprint to get only half was across the map...? in Oblivion with a fast character you can make it from border to border in nearly the same time. (and yes I know Morrowind characters are a bit slower.)

Its cause when you go "full sprint" in that game you have to pause and rest every 12 seconds in real life time, so it seems to take a lot longer than it should

Last edited by The Tom on Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please try not to double post. Especially when quoting other people. If you have to, put in a line break between your points - it's still perfectly readable that way! Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:24 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

to be fair if I could not play Obliv for hours on end, I image the DB quest would take a while as I kept reloading to do who dun it and visting your old freind (I loved repeating that as many times as i could)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:00 am 
Initiate
Initiate

soda popinski wrote:
lostlast wrote:
BootySweat wrote:

WTF?

Yeah, i was a little surprised as well. I've finished all the guild lines multiple times, and the DB line a LOT

Yep, the DB quest line is the only one I've completed in both of my prior playthroughs.

I've played the game twice before with only very small mods (like Vampire Aging Disabled). These first two times I played the game for a total of a few hundred hours and only completed about 80% of the Mage's guild quest line, most of Shivering Isles, lots of side quests, a few of the early thieves' guild and and fighter's guild quests, and I played the main quest only up to the point where you take Martin to Cloud Ruler Temple, although I did close a lot of Oblivion gates. Previously, I only completed KOTN up to the point where you fight the Knights in the circle.

There are 224 dungeons in Oblivion and hundreds of Oblivion gates, POI's, thousands of NPCs, about 232 different quests. You could probably play a single playthrough for 1000 hours before even starting the main quest if you wanted. I know there are some members of the Beth forum who have single playthroughs in excess of 1000-1500 hours.

I started my current (third) playthrough of Oblivion in December of last year with a lot of mods, including FCOM, Duke Patricks, as well as a number of mods that add new factions and quests, economy and survival mods that increase merchant prices, or require eating, drinking, sleeping, making it a bit harder to become filthy rich.

At about 75% on the difficulty slider, combat is a lot more challenging with FCOM and Duke Patricks, so I die frequently at almost every combat encounter. You can one-shot enemies with your bow, like in Skyrim, but they can also one-shot you, so you have to approach enemy archers very carefully, hiding behind rocks and trees. Even the smallest dungeon takes a few hours to complete, and there are 224 of these. Also, excellent mods like Giskard's The Necromancer and Cliffworms Oblivifall Losing My Religion add a lot of new factions to join and interesting quests and locations.

In my current playthrough, I'm up to around 200 hours and I'm at level 8 now, playing as a mystic archer/ranger type, focusing on magic, archery and stealth. I completed the Mage's guild quest only far enough to get access to the Imperial University. I've been focusing on the Thieves's Guild, and probably about 20-30% through this one. As for the Main Quest, I haven't even visited Weynon Priory or Kvatch yet, and I haven't seen any Oblivion Gates. Looking forward to completing Duke Patricks Combat Magic quest line, and probably KOTN next, if I can manage to find all the shrines again before committing some crime :P

I'm planning to finally finish Oblivion's main quest on Nov 10th, ideally switching over to start my first Skyrim playthrough at 12:01am (if Steam allows us to pre-install the game).