UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Transcription Errors
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:15 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 10
I think we can dismiss such explanations out-of-hand. I think recent transcription error explanations have been offered with the expectation that we would know they were wrong, and were likely offered as jokes.

The Three "Transcription Error" Explanations (That I'm Aware Of At The Moment):

1. Fal Droon's "The Dragon Break Re-Examined" attempted to debunk the Middle Dawn (and by extension, the whole idea of Dragon Breaks). The fanbase (I believe) has dismissed this as inaccurate because Droon only tried to explain away Imperial accounts of the Middle Dawn, and neglected to rationalize why other cultures at the time agreed that a Dragon Break took place. More importantly, we know, thanks to Daggerfall and subsequent experiences, that Dragon Breaks are an actual phenomenon.

2. "Ruminations on the Elder Scrolls" appears in ESO, with the following notation:

Quote:
(Note by Ancestor Moth Brother Quintus Nerevelus: Found this at the back of the library stacks behind the Scroll of Rhunen. It had obviously been there a long time, yet the printer's sigil notes its publication date as "4E 195." This is obviously a transcription error. I think.)"

Obviously, we know that this is not a transcription error, as Septimus Signus appears in Skyrim. This is evidently a product of time travel/inside joke for fans.

3. The infamous "transcription error" explanation for the descriptions of Cyrodiil as a jungle. Given the above, I think we can now safely conclude that when we see "transcription error", we can assume it's wrong. That it should be best understood as an in-character, wrong explanation, their tongue-in-cheek way of giving a non-answer.

Last edited by Minor Edits on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Transcription Errors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:48 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind, Redguard
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 0
A well-thought-out theory, but I think the sample pool is too small for us to be able to make that claim without qualms.

It would be nice, though, for Cyrodiil to turn into the jungle-as-we-know-it at the end of ESO due to some end-game quest.