UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Do you think they will ever have more than one form of...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:06 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind (GOTY), Oblivion (GOTY), Skyrim (Legendary)
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
Khajiit in the single game? In Arena, we have the more or less human variant, and (unless I'm wrong) in Daggerfall we have the slightly more cat-like version. In Morrowind we have the anthropomorphic cat form, and I think the ones in Oblivion are a subgroup of the ones in Morrowind (or something to that extent). The ones in Skyrim seem to be the same ones in Oblivion, more or less.

Anyone think we might eventually get more than one form of khajiit in a given game? I think it would be interesting, particularly if the game is ever set in Elsweyr. (of which, if that was to happen, I'd really hope we'd be able to see a variety of npcs there anyways)
I also think it would be cool to have some of the humanoid options to choose form when making a khajiit in that circumstances, and I think it would be better yet if other khajiit NPCs mentioned it. That would probably be hoping for too much. :P

Anyways, do you think Bethesda will ever touch up on it? They keep including the lore books mentioning the different forms, so I doubt they'll be retconning it, at least.

Post subject: Re: Do you think they will ever have more than one form of..
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:07 pm 
Lord of the Shivering Isles
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
I doubt it as it would require a lot of new animations and Bethesda may view it as not worth the effort due to how many people play as a Khajiit. Which i think is just 10% of the userbase.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:32 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC
If they set a game in Elsweyr they pretty much have to do it. It's a huge part of the setting. I mean, look at the brief sections of the novels wherein a band of Khajiit appears. One of them was basically elven-looking, and a few acted as giant warmounts, and they were brothers or cousins or something like that. Kind of hard to get around featuring these different varieties since they've been featured so prominently in recent lore.

But, again, that's only if they set it in Elsweyr. Anywhere else and they still have the ol' "some varieties travel more" excuse.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:16 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
What Marelo said. Outside of the context of a game set in Elsweyr, the devs probably won't deem it necessary to model other less common breeds of Khajiit. The Suthay-raht are more commonly seen outside of Elsweyr than most breeds. Ohmes and Ohmes-raht are also very common and seem to blend in with human and elven societies better due to their appearance. Cathay-raht are not uncommon sights during wars or in hard labor situations across Tamriel, but this is not represented in the games as of yet. I'm not actually completely sure which subspecies are supposed to be represented in Oblivion and Skyrim. I wanna say either Cathay or Suthay-raht. I can't recall if there was ever a dev confirmation of that. I believe the Ohmes were in Arena and the Ohmes-raht in Daggerfall, and the ones in Morrowind were most likely Suthay or Suthay-raht.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind (GOTY), Oblivion (GOTY), Skyrim (Legendary)
Thelastdovah wrote:
I doubt it as it would require a lot of new animations and Bethesda may view it as not worth the effort due to how many people play as a Khajiit. Which i think is just 10% of the userbase.

Marelo wrote:
If they set a game in Elsweyr they pretty much have to do it. It's a huge part of the setting. I mean, look at the brief sections of the novels wherein a band of Khajiit appears. One of them was basically elven-looking, and a few acted as giant warmounts, and they were brothers or cousins or something like that. Kind of hard to get around featuring these different varieties since they've been featured so prominently in recent lore.

But, again, that's only if they set it in Elsweyr. Anywhere else and they still have the ol' "some varieties travel more" excuse.

I suppose if they wanted to, they could probably do a reskinned Bosmer for the more human (Ohmes) one, and have the general "beast" Khajiit - maybe Suthay-raht (which is the one we see Morrowind/presumably Oblivion/Skyrim), and maybe also the lightly furred "elves" (Ohmes-raht). I assume if Bethesda was to open this option to players (most likely in an Elsweyr-based game), it would be most likely the first two, since they seem the less time-consuming to offer? (Plus with the suthay-raht, it's what I lot of the fanbase views as being "Khajiit" I assume)

...Not to say the other ones wouldn't be able to show up in the game, I imagine the mount might be classified as a beast in-game, but yeah.

As for the 10%, I wonder how they figured it out? Did they go by the first character made, or the one a player plays the most on? I'm just kind of curious since I'd think people would also try out other races... though I have a bazillion characters myself, and I usually try making a character of each race (though altmer/dunmer are probably my most common)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:38 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: daggerdall, morrowind, oblivion, skyrim
Platform: pc, xbox/360
I hope they at least put the daggerfall khajiit in the next game as an option....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:17 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind
Marelo wrote:
If they set a game in Elsweyr they pretty much have to do it.

Same with Argonians in Black Marsh. But then again, we never see Colovians in Cyrodiil.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:35 am 
Novice
Novice

Jeelius-Tei wrote:
Marelo wrote:
If they set a game in Elsweyr they pretty much have to do it.

Same with Argonians in Black Marsh. But then again, we never see Colovians in Cyrodiil.

I was under the impression that Colovians are basically another "tribe" of Imperials - somewhat akin to the Skaal of the Nords. Different enough form their cousins to have their own name, but similar enough that they aren't their own unique group/race (Nords vs. Imperials, for example).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: I-V
Platform: PS3, PC
Imperials is a broad group. Colovians is just a part of that group. There would be way too many character designs to include all of these groups, so they just say Imperial.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:45 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

Hell, even "Colovians" is a catch-all term. The people of Anvil are distinct from the people of Sancre Tor or Sutch.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:21 am 
Champion
Champion

Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 10
Or at least, they were supposed to be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion (SI), Skyrim
I think if the game wil even take place in Elswyr they would have to do it, to NPC's that is.
The Khajiit avalible to play in oblivion and skyrim is the most common form of khajiit. To play the Giant sabre-cat like version of khajiit is nice to see and stuff but what about armour?
Also there is a race that almost looks like Elves, putting this in the game is like: I want to play a Khajiit but I want it to look like a bosmer :P than you should have chosen Bosmer!!!... just silly and above al very confusing in some situations:P

Could you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can? - Sun Tzu

Hidden:
ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:44 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

Minor Edits wrote:
Or at least, they were supposed to be.

No, they are. I'm not talking about how they were handled in TES IV. I'm talking about how the official lore on them is still being discussed. When Greg Keyes wrote the novels he included several mentions of the different cultures within Cyrodiil. I'm also led to believe they will be more prominent in ESO. Oblivion dropped the ball but it's just one representation of Tamriel. Very scaled down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:48 pm 
Champion
Champion

UESPoints: 10
You'll get no argument from me that Oblivion butchered the lore. And from what I've been led to believe thus far, TESO is also a lore butcher shop, so I wouldn't pin my hopes of seeing Cyrodiil displayed properly on that game, either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:41 pm 
Warder
Warder

Relatedly, I'm really hoping that a game set in one of the more fantastical provinces will feature playable lycanthropes other than werewolves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Minor Edits wrote:
...different cultures within Cyrodiil. I'm also led to believe they will be more prominent in ESO.

An interesting thing I noticed in an TESO trailer was a soldier wearing a Greek styled helmet. Imperials' armor and weapons are based on Roman designs, not Greek, excluding a single helmet in Skyrim. Was that helmet in Skyrim perhaps an Easter-egg? Or a foreshadowing of TESO?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:41 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Platform: Xbox 360, PC(Morrowind, Skyrim)
UESPoints: 1
The designs change from game to game. Skyrim's is different from Oblivion's is different from Morrowind's. Plus you have to account for the massive amount of time between ESO and the single-player games. Things change during that span of time. Armor designs happen to be one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Now that I think of it, wasn't Tiber Septim form the second era? That makes me think that maybe, just maybe, that helmet in Skyrim was Tiber's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:51 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
If they set a game in Elsweyr (I'm hoping the next game is Elsweyr and Valenwood. Haven't been to either since Arena and it would be fun to explore a desert and rainforest.) then they almost have to do it. If you're not going to then don't set the game in Elsweyr, simple as. I don't see it happening in anywhere other then Elsweyr, but it could.

Doesn't mean you have to make them all playable, you couldn't make them all playable anyway. But you could have some of them playable. I wouldn't mind playing as an Ohmes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:07 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox360
Is there any lore on what long term effects the void nights have had on Khajiit births?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:15 pm 
Warder
Warder

The only thing I remember being discussed was stillbirths at the time. I don't think there's much reason to assume long-term effects since the moons returned, apparently in working order.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:13 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind, little bit of TESO
I think the choices for which khajiit appear in each of the games actually makes perfect sense each time. But I will preface my reasons with a theory I have about khajiit pregnancy. I think the females have an amazing amount of bodily control over when they go into labor, and are highly attuned to the developmental status of the fetus. Either through ritual, or natural instinct, I think they can decide on a phase, and choose to force themselves into labor, or postpone the labor for at least a few days. The reason for this is the way the tojay are explained, saying that "they live in the southern marshes and jungle regions of Elsweyr, as well as the Tenmar forest". Of course this could mean that any khajiit born a tojay is likely to decide to move there, as a cultural thing, but it is a theory. So this could explain certain types of khajiit being more or less represented, if it is a matter of choice. Naturally then the bipedal forms (with awesome opposable thumb action!) would then be the most common choice to keep the civilized society running smoothly.

In Arena the player character is a member of the court, a low ranking member but still there. So in that game we have the most human looking khajiit, the one that would be most accepted there in the palace, hobnobbing with other men and mer(women and wimer) in the court. But this would likely be a lowly represented type in their home region of Elsweyr, as the lack of fur would provide less protection from the sun, and looking so very un-catlike would make them stand out among a sea of tails and fluffy ears.

In Daggerfall though, we see something a bit more feline, they don't stick out as much in Elsweyr as the kind from Arena do, but they don't stand out as much in human populated regions as any other form would. Since they are so far away from home, it could be that looking "mostly" human like would help them get along with more xenophobic peoples.

In Morrowind we have that nasty slave business. Now psychology tells us that it is easier to be cruel to those you identify least with. We can assume that quite a large chunk of khajiit in Morrowind are, or were, brought over as slaves. This seems to be the most animal-like of the bipedal(with awesome opposable thumb action!) khajiit. This is most obviously because they are digitigrade(up on the balls of their feet), as opposed to plantigrade(from toes to the heel on the ground). They also seem to have quite a bit of a hunched over posture as if they could go down on all fours at any moment. Also they are the right size for their captors to not feel threatened by their strength, but still able to get the work done.

Then we have the variety from Oblivion and Skyrim. These guys, I feel, are the real majority of khajiit in Elsweyr. Bipedal, opposable thumbs, plantigrade feet(which are best for bipeds, and allow them to wear standardized protective footwear), and a nice protective layer of fur which protects them from the sun and insulates them from the heat. They are big enough to protect themselves physically, but not so large as to put themselves at increased risk of dehydration and starvation from being overly large for the resources available. They look feline enough, and are therefore accepted by all other khajiit, but they are human enough to easily associate with other humanoids. This is why I believe they will likely continue to be the type represented as playable characters in the games.

For the reasons above I can accept why we never see quadrupedal khajiit types, as it seems only other khajiit can understand them, and that would make travelling through human and elven territories dangerous, as they would likely be hunted to death on sight by those who though they were simply dangerous animals.

When it comes to TESO, I think we will start off with the variety in Oblivion and Skyrim. Though I do hope a digitigrade variety will be made available in an expansion or something. Of course in the region of Elsweyr I'm sure we'll run across all varieties as NPCs.