UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: TES:V, "What about Morrowind?"
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:43 am 
Initiate
Initiate

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 0
This topic is mainly meant as a place for gathering of information on lore about Morrowind in TES:V. Here's what I've got so far;

According to Brelyna Maryon in the College of Winterhold, the Telvanni are doing well enough to send their kids to college in far-off lands, and be worried about how well their kids are doing. This could lead one to believe that, even if Morrowind as a whole is now in pieces, the Telvanni are doing the best out of any faction in the shattered land. Other than that, I've got nothing about the Telvanni's situation. I'm guessing that at least the Dunmer can inhabit Morrowind, even with most of the land becoming an ashen waste.

The Hlaalu are doing poorly, according to a section from a book in-game. Sorry about this, but I can't quite remember the book. It'd said something about a trader in Windhelm being from the "once-great" House Hlaalu or something like that.

I'll update this as I gather more information...and as I find the time to get away from the game. :D

Post subject: Re: TES:V, "What about Morrowind?"
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:53 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
There is a lot of info to be had around Windhelm, especially in the Gray Quarter.

There are also a couple of books on the subject, The Dunmer of Skryim and Socurge of the Gray Quater.

On your note about House Hlaalu, could it be that you are remembering this?:
Quote:
But perhaps you'd like to pay a visit to the home of Belyn Hlaalu, descendant of one of the most noble houses in all of Morrowind.

From my own research, there is at least some form of Dunmeri settlement on Solstheim, and I assume that Morrowind is currently inhabited to at least some extent.
Morrowind had never recovered fully from the eruption of Mount Vvardenfell.

This thread may be of interest to you.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:43 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Platform: PC
Dude, there is no Morrowind in Skyrim age. As Duru already explained by now...

Winner of the Molag Bal Games: XI, XIII, XV.

I used to take arrows in the knee, but then I took an arrow in the knee.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, there is some form of Dunmeri settlement on Solstheim, and possibly on Morrowind. The province was crippled during the Red Year, but I wouldn't write it off just yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:31 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Skyrim
OblivionDuruza wrote:
Well, there is some form of Dunmeri settlement on Solstheim, and possibly on Morrowind. The province was crippled during the Red Year, but I wouldn't write it off just yet.

This. Morrowind will likely be built back up, for no other reason than it's free land, and as soon as it's hospitable again, it'll actually be very fertile farmland (volcanic ash makes for fertile farmland). By who? Well, the Dunmer will likely go home, because they're very uwnwelcome in other places.

Founding member of the Weasel Forums Universe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:49 pm 
Associate
Associate

ES Games: Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC, 360
well from what i can gather, vvardenfell is completely gone, the rest of morrowind is highly inhospitable and destroyed, the argonians are in control because they invaded after black mash left the empire and the red mountain erupted, from what i can tell, it was also the original sheogorath that destroyed it, as he sent a rock from oblivion ontop of the city of vivic when the tribunal outlawed worship of him, but vivic stopped it, then when he dissapeard after the heart of lorkhan was destroyed, it crashed into the city with its original force, which is what made the red mountain erupt, i dont really know anything about the houses, i heard somthing about redoran, but ic ant remember what it was, i think that its pretty much gone now

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:10 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yeah, I would think that the Dunmer are rebuilidng, but that may just be optimism. The Great War states that it had not fully recovered, but this doesn't mean it hasn't at all. The Argonians seem to have dropped off the radar in 4E 201, so who knows what's going on in the East.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:43 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Arena, skyrim
Platform: PS3
OblivionDuruza wrote:
Yeah, I would think that the Dunmer are rebuilidng, but that may just be optimism. The Great War states that it had not fully recovered, but this doesn't mean it hasn't at all. The Argonians seem to have dropped off the radar in 4E 201, so who knows what's going on in the East.

I cant find the section in the lore stating when umbriel destroyed the city lilmoth or blackrose in argonia, so i cant say maybe they are rebuilding, cause well umbriel appeared in 4E 40's so its still a good 160 years before skyrim, and im sure it doesnt take that long to rebuild the one city. Also.
4E ?? — The Empire's Collapse Begins
Black Marsh secedes from the Empire; it is soon followed by Elsweyr.
The Argonians invade southern Morrowind after the eruption of Red Mountain.
And.

4E 22 — Red Mountain erupts; Vvardenfell is destroyed.
In Vivec's absence, the Ministry of Truth becomes unstable. Vuhon creates an Ingenium that uses at first dozens of dying souls, then a small number of living ones to stabilize the rock. The soul of Sul's wife Ilzheven was among them. In a fight to free her, the Ingenium is destroyed and the rock crashes into the city of Vivec with all the energy it originally had. The impact causes Red Mountain to erupt and destroys the entire island of Vvardenfell, as well as causing massive destruction to the rest of the province.

So argonians were in morrowind, when ash yet again covered the rest of the province, even the section which the argonians evaded, so will we have a few argonian ashlanders?

"The only reason you could disagree is because your are losing so badly you cannot see it." -J'zargo
Brisalkar: MyNation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:26 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The Argonian invasion occurred after the Eruption of Red Mountain. The timeline lists the events oddly because the exact date of the fall is unknown, although I have come across a new source which might give a solid date, so I might update that. There was only one eruption though, after which the Argonians invaded.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
Black Thunder wrote:
Dude, there is no Morrowind in Skyrim age. As Duru already explained by now...

There are multiple dialogue references in TES V of some Dunmer returning to Morrowind. The Argonians pulled out not long after their initial invasion, especially after the whole Umbriel crisis. The air became more breathable and the waters around Vvardenfell probably stopped boiling after another decade or two. Yes, there's a Morrowind. It's not the same as it used to be, but neither is Cyrodill or any other province at this point.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:45 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Guess what I found!

In the book, Rising Threat Vol IV:
While Morrowind and the Imperial forces in Black Marsh were still reeling from the consecutive catastrophes of the Oblivion Crisis and the destruction of Vvardenfell ... Black Marsh and southern Morrowind were completely lost to the Argonians

So maybe, just maybe, my hypothesis was right to a degree. We do know that the Argonians reached as far as the Scathing Bay, probably up the River Thir, and we know they reached the Telvanni, probably via the Inner Sea, but they may not have breached the Velothis, or the upper Sacred East and Narsis District.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:01 am 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: TES: IV Oblivion TES: V Skyrim TES: VI Elseweyr
Platform: Xbox 360
One thing i dont understand is, where was Vivec?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:03 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Vivec the god, or Vivec the place?

On Vivec the god, nobody knows Vivec's fate, though some claim that he was "taken" by the Daedra during the Oblivion Crisis.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:07 am 
Novice
Novice

OblivionDuruza wrote:
Vivec the god, or Vivec the place?

On Vivec the god, nobody knows Vivec's fate, though some claim that he was "taken" by the Daedra during the Oblivion Crisis.

Yea I meant Vivec. Couldnt he have fought them off though? Or why was he "taken"?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:10 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

We don't really know, and I can't remember the exact quote off the top of my head at the moment. I think it was Bethesda's way of finishing the whole Tribunal business, what with Sotha Sil and Almalexia already dead.

I like it actually, because I've never really loved the Tribunal all that much in comparison to the other Greater Saints and the full complement of Saints, and the Anticipations.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:12 am 
Novice
Novice

OblivionDuruza wrote:
We don't really know, and I can't remember the exact quote off the top of my head at the moment. I think it was Bethesda's way of finishing the whole Tribunal business, what with Sotha Sil and Almalexia already dead.

I like it actually, because I've never really loved the Tribunal all that much in comparison to the other Greater Saints and the full complement of Saints, and the Anticipations.

Trying to find out about Vivec's dissapearance is what made me get into Morrowind's Lore and is a reason why I want to find a copy of Morrowind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:14 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

In Oblivion there was a rumor he was "taken by the Daedra".

In Morrowind it's possible to kill him, before or after disenchanting the Heart of Lorkhan. In the lore he would stay dead either way. He hasn't been able to access the Heart Chamber in decades and his god powers are at a low point. He wouldn't have enough divine power to regenerate if his body was damaged badly enough. Granted, he's still one of the most terrible warriors in all Tamriel. He could solo a dragon or two easily, I'm sure of it.

Another potential fate of his is that he achieved CHIM, although that concept is controversial.

In Infernal City, the Dunmer named Sul simply mentions Vivec disappeared and nobody knows what happened to him, but that his spell on the Ministry of Truth began to fade a few years after the Oblivion crisis.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:23 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena,Daggerfall,Morrowind GOTY,Oblivion GOTY,Skyrim
Platform: PC,Xbox
OblivionDuruza wrote:

I thought that after his trial,"Vivec and the Nerevarine left Tamriel for distant lands never to return again"And that sort of thing.

How WWII started
Hitler: "I can not get the damn tre... I WILL KILL EVERYONE IN ZE WORLD!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:59 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

At TVTropes they'd call what happened to the Incarnate and the Warrior Poet putting them on a bus.

We hear vague rumors of the Nerevarine going to Akavir. In Skyrim it's possible to find a severely drained and weakened Keening, implying the Nerevarine didn't take that with him/her or the one we find is a bad copy.

Whether they're dead, achieved some other form of immortality or are off teaching the Tang Mo how to dance to dubstep, they've been conveniently written out of the narrative for the time being.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:02 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

It's all quite convenient, but it's better this way, in a way, because Bethesda has tied off the loose ends left behind by past player characters, in sending the Nerevarine on a bus to Akavir, and by sending the Champion of Cyrodiil on the bus of insanity to becoming Sheogorath.

Likewise, removing Vivec from the picture completed the fall of the Tribunal, re-rooting Dunmeri theology I'm sure, and the Red Year completely re-rooted Dunmeri culture.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:36 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

OblivionDuruza wrote:
It's all quite convenient, but it's better this way, in a way, because Bethesda has tied off the loose ends left behind by past player characters, in sending the Nerevarine on a bus to Akavir, and by sending the Champion of Cyrodiil on the bus of insanity to becoming Sheogorath.

Likewise, removing Vivec from the picture completed the fall of the Tribunal, re-rooting Dunmeri theology I'm sure, and the Red Year completely re-rooted Dunmeri culture.

If you paid attention to all the Vivec dialogue in Morrowind, he already had a plan for his departure as far as the Temple went. The Tribunal would be gradually and quietly demoted back to Saints and the Anticipations would likewise be gradually promoted back to the principle deities, and Nerevar's status would rise again. It's likely that by the events of Infernal City, many Dunmer had reverted to ancestor worship, which is why Azura warned some of them ahead of time and they migrated before the disaster.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:39 am 
Initiate
Initiate

I've seen an East-Empire Company shipping map in-game that seems to state that Morrowind's borders have not changed. The city of Tear, Necrom, and Blacklight are still important ports.

You can find said map here:http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/East_Empire_Trading_Map

This leads me to believe that Morrowind has recovered a lot more than we believe. Vvardenfell is probably deserted, but the Dunmer are recovering. The absence of a Telvanni city simply means that they are being their reclusive selves. I'd say Dres is doing remarkably well to still have two cities as important shipping locations. The Redoran even being on the map is remarkable, although I'd never believed the house was gone. The Hlaalu and Indoril may very well be done for, but I'd say they both have very good chances of sticking around. The Morag Tong, according to certain sources in-game, are not doing well.

Last edited by Godkiller on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:42 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, (PC), Oblivion, Skyrim (360)
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: GT: The Frosty Mage, Steam: Frost Mage, Skype: frostmage79x
OblivionDuruza wrote:
There is a lot of info to be had around Windhelm, especially in the Gray Quarter.

There are also a couple of books on the subject, The Dunmer of Skryim and Socurge of the Gray Quater.

On your note about House Hlaalu, could it be that you are remembering this?:
Quote:
But perhaps you'd like to pay a visit to the home of Belyn Hlaalu, descendant of one of the most noble houses in all of Morrowind.

From my own research, there is at least some form of Dunmeri settlement on Solstheim, and I assume that Morrowind is currently inhabited to at least some extent.
Morrowind had never recovered fully from the eruption of Mount Vvardenfell.

This thread may be of interest to you.

Good to know, Duru. I'll read it when I get home. I've been meaning to freshen-up on the current Dunmeri state in Skyrim, especially the Gray Corner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:15 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Skyrim, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Arena
Godkiller wrote:
I've seen an East-Empire Company shipping map in-game that seems to state that Morrowind's borders have not changed. The city of Tear, Necrom, and Blacklight are still important ports.

You can find said map here:http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/East_Empire_Trading_Map

This leads me to believe that Morrowind has recovered a lot more than we believe. Vvardenfell is probably deserted, but the Dunmer are recovering. The absence of a Telvanni city simply means that they are being their reclusive selves. I'd say Dres is doing remarkably well to still have two cities as important shipping locations. The Redoran even being on the map is remarkable, although I'd never believed the house was gone. The Hlaalu and Indoril may very well be done for, but I'd say they both have very good chances of sticking around. The Morag Tong, according to certain sources in-game, are not doing well.

That map is based off of 200 year old information. It shows Summerset Isle and Valenwood as separate states instead of as the Aldmeri Dominion, and it shows a unified Elsweyr instead of the Kingdoms of Anequina and Pelletine. It's of very little use.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:49 am 
Initiate
Initiate

The East Empire Company probably wouldn't keep and use a two-hundred year old map. However, you've made a good point about the Alinor thing. It could just be that the Empire still sees the Aldmeri Dominion as its two separate provinces and, like the province of Skyrim, sees the divided Elsweyr as one province.

One way to tell that this is a recent map is that Ebonheart or Seyda Neen are not part of the destinations of the ships, considering that they were most likely destroyed when the moon over Vivec City fell.

I believe this map is possibly an old, but not outdated map. It is probably not two-hundred years old, but it is also probably not completely up-to-date. It seems to predate the Skyrim Civil War, but is not from the events of the Oblivion Crisis, or before that.