UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The Cause of the Second Arnesian War?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:29 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition (PC), Oblivion Game of the Year edition
Platform: Playstation 3, PC
UESPoints: 0
So, we have went our heads around this idea a bit.

What actually started the Second Arnesian War? (Term I use to describe the Argonian Invasion)

We can speculate that the Second Arnesian War may have boiled over due to the law against slavery under Helseth. As they(in an Argonian perspective) finally put a law against slavery but no means of re-pay are given to slaves, not all Houses do this law anyway (Telvanni) and more importantly of all; House Dres will not return territory that was originally Argonian territory from the First Arnesian War.

This could be an idea as the Dunmer stepped forward, but only an inch forward to the Argonian eyes. Then with the Oblivion Crisis, The Red Year, the Holy Crusade Against Helseth (House Indoril/Temple/House Redoran vs Helseth's Government/House Hlaalu/House Dres) or I'd also describe it as the "First Dunmer Civil War" in non-Temple terms, finally made Morrowind weak enough to attack.

Though there is also the fact with the Argonian re-call to Argonia; they had more troops to spare in this War then they probably had before. (As Many Argonians are around Tamriel, to find better jobs or simply escape the Kingdom's tyranny and support of the Dark Brotherhood.)

And with Argonia's secession from the Empire (as they allowed Morrowind to brutalize their people for centuries and with No Emperor they probably didn't have much fear), lead to Argonia's war against Morrowind.

And Dres was not really punished for its raids against Argonia, nor did the lore say it actually stopped. It only said it renounced the slave trade, which we know House Hlaalu did way before as well. And since House Hlaalu was basically on a foundation of corruption; their words mattered little. (Dres accepted Helseth's offer of power, but would still maintain plantations I suspect. No Dres would *ever* give away their slavery so easily.)

And with the military of Morrowind weakened and battling non-stop (Redoran defending from Nords, and suffering from the First Dunmer Civil War/ Holy Crusade against Helseth.), even more reason to attack Morrowind.

How do you think the Second Arnesian War started? Are my theories will placed on speculations and would you agree with them?

High Lord of the Great House of Indoril and Lord of Almalexia

VVV

Post subject: Re: The Cause of the Second Arnesian War?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:00 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

First, it is stated that Dres was in the process of "remodeling its economy from an Agricultural one to a Mercantile based one" and it's really hard to hide an entire economy's worth of plantations from everyone.

OT: My guess on what started the Second Arnesian War is threefold:
  • The Argonians called back were becoming listless following the end of the Oblivion Crisis, having no enemy to actively fight.
  • The slaves freed from Morrowind returned, telling tales of their harsh treatment from the Dunmer, igniting the hatred of the gathered Argonians
  • The An-Xileel, seeing an opportunity, rallied their brethren to go to war and settle the score, putting themselves in a position to govern the other Argonian factions/tribes

Perhaps the reason both Black Marsh and Elsweyr seceded from the Empire wasn't just because its waning power, but because of the Empire's sanction of slavery in Morrowind with the freed slaves reigniting the topic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:19 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition (PC), Oblivion Game of the Year edition
Probably they were more-so involved in a type of slave-trade or illegal trade of goods. Returning to Morrowind, we see one quest as basically the Cammona Tong used slaves as a means of transportation of Moon Sugar from one place to another if Plantations were too obvious.

(Though a better way to realize it would be the plantations buy the Moon Sugar and cultivate it, sell it to the Cammona Tong or give to Cammona tong agents. Feed it to the Slaves or insert it some-how to where it doesn't digest properly; thus when the delivery is made the slave is killed and the Moon Sugar is safely delivered and no one is the wiser.)

As I'm not very entirely optimistic that Dres gave slavery up just for power with Helseth, even if they are remodeling; they'll probably doing it very slowly to make sure they still possess their amount of slaves.

But, to the original topic, basically with the massive supplies of Argonians from both slavery and the Hist-calling; they were in a more perfect position to attack due to the hatred of slavery and now against the Dunmer for this.

Even if all those terrible-Dunmer events didn't happen (Holy Crusade/Civil War, Red Year, Vivec goes 'poof', Oblivion Crisis), I suspect the Argonian military would probably beat House Dres entirely and beat House Hlaalu some.

Due to the sheer amount of forces, and the new hatred against the Dunmer.

Though speaking of the An-Xileel; do you think it was one of those more militant-elements of the Argonian leaderships?

As since they lead Argonia in this war, to which there was only a few wars Argonia was in, I can say they probably are the militant faction of Argonian society in general.

Probably Abolitionist to gain power in their government, as An-Xileel wasn't really mentioned until Infernal City. If they were abolitionist prior, I don't believe they'd practically take advantage of a nation whom has renounced slavery and given up mostly all its slaves (Telvanni and Dres still possess theirs I believe) would be very redundant of abolition.

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:39 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I believe the An-Xileel to be a faction made up of the Agacephs and other inner tribes under the leadership of some Shadowscales.
The reason being is that these Shadowscales worship Sithis like the Hist and their militant backgrounds would be invaluable in not only organizing the army, but for their knowledge of the other Provinces with the other tribes close to the Hist making up the bulk of the faction itself.

Likely the An-Xileel isn't just worshiping the Hist like before, they're worshiping Sithis directly and perhaps guided by him

As for why these Shadowscales would break off from the traditional role as assassins, I'm unsure, it could have to do with the complete destruction of the former Black hand or older governing bodies in Black Marsh (No longer being used as court assassins and instead go rogue)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:01 pm 
Champion
Champion

That is rather interesting, as the ShadowScales are basically a Royal arm to destroy the enemies of Argonia.

That or Dark Brotherhood pawns; I'm guessing the rouges could now be herald as the true rulers of Argonia now. So the Hist-worship (or rather Sithis worshiping) can be explained that way.

Plus the Shadowscales are argonians as well, just militarily trained; and serving of the royal government. So when they heard of the atrocities; likely they were angry and happy.

Happy due to this meant they could rally the nation to their own plan to attack Morrowind but angry due to it is their people suffering.

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:16 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I still wonder what this royal government was/is in Black Marsh, they don't strike me as the dynasty-types

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:19 pm 
Champion
Champion

If the Hist are sentient beings, they probably choose whom is the Royal Heir from the Elders of the Tribes in Argonia to be the best leader.

If not, probably the Tribes choose candidates and they fight to see whom is the strongest to leader Argonia.

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:34 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I always pictured Argonia's leadership to be similar to the Dark Brotherhood's Listener and Speaker system, with a collection of Argonian chosen to "listen" to the hist and telling the "Speakers" who would be a council of sorts that interpret the listener's words

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:41 pm 
Champion
Champion

Perhaps, but I think it'd be a bit more independent then that.

Like there would be "Listeners" of the hist and the "Speakers" would speak the "will of the Hist" but there would be one Listener above all whom not only "listened" with the Hist but directly spoke to the Hist as well.

Hence there would be someone telling the Listeners their duties, who either got it from Hist or directly from The-Above-One(name for direct ruler of Argonia I'd imagine), and then transfer it down.

But is Elsweyr involved in the Second Arnesian War in any way; or does it just remain where it is? Neutral.

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:54 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I know of no conflicts outside of the Five Year War that Elsweyr takes a part of...I can't imagine them wasting the currency to send an army to the already ruined Morrowind...especially with the Argonians taking care of it....that's not to say that individual slaves/factions of Khajiit didn't help.

We really don't know much about Khajiit/Argonian interactions outside of Leyawiin and some border disputes...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:03 pm 
Champion
Champion

That and maybe the Mane just doesn't have particular interest in revenge against an enemy far away. Though it would be interesting if the Khajits didn't aid the Argonians in supplies and such.

But it does bring up the question of how the Argonians are going to 'win' the Second Arnesian War if Morrowind lost. If they lost, though I've heard the Infernal Book said the Second Arnesian War ended with Morrowind loss.

Especially considering Cold weather of the Velothi Mountain regions would kill them before Redorans, and the Telvannis District would probably hold ash and wizards prepared to kill any Argonian that did not have a slave-bracer on.

Though I think the only way the Argonians could win the war is taking Almalexia. Take the Capital, then you have the King and a holy religious city at bargain for peace and land. (Meaning whatever House Dres Land they have is automatically theirs now, plus some extra if they don't want just the old Arnesian War territory losses)

Since they can't conquer all of Morrowind; they'd be particularly silly. Since Morrowind 'won' the first Arnesian War and the only gain from that was more land for House Dres.

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:10 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'd imagine the Argonians would stop short of the Eastern and Western lands of Mainland Morrowind, with Western lands falling to Skyrim or Cyrodiil factions and stopping at Necrom in the east.

But who knows? Maybe the presence of more active volcanoes would make the more Northern parts of Mainland Morrowind similar to Vvardenfel's environment

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:26 pm 
Champion
Champion

That's if the Nords generally 'win', or are simply mercenaries conducting raids.

Though it's mostly described as the Second Arnesian War as mostly a conflict between Argonia and Morrowind. Though the Infernal City doesn't offer much on the Nords vs Redoran issue.

though I honestly can't see the Velothi Mountains falling to the Nords, as either they fell to the Nords but Redoran came back and kicked them back over the Mountains or it became mostly a stalemate between Lord of Souls and Skyrim.

Though do you think Morrowind actually lost the Second Arneisan War? Or simply lost in terms of they lost some territory, but remain a government at least.

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:30 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I'd say they lost some key cities, with Morrowind retaining some of the coastal ports and anything north of Necrom (both east and west)
The Dunmer don't seem like the people to flee to Solsthiem unless they had little choice to do so, they are a proud race and wouldn't leave because they lost a handful of cities in the deep south.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:34 pm 
Champion
Champion

Hmm, this would mean Telvanni had to leave (probably due to weather changes making it inhospitable) their district and Redoran probably left due to Nord attacks.

Though I suspect the Dunmer will make a return to their homeland; as Solstheim is too small to have the entire Dunmer population. They'll probably wait until their prepared for a full-scale liberation to push the Nords out as well as the Argonians.

This will probably happen prior to Skyrim or during Skyrim when the world is plagued by Dragons.

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:29 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Velothi wrote:
And since House Hlaalu was basically on a foundation of corruption; their words mattered little.

I know I'm being picky, as there has been a lot of discussion I've missed, but this is simply not true.Looking at Morrowind, we can see that the corruption in the House is linked directly to the Cammona Tong. For instance, Dram Bero is clearly a stronghold of the true values of the House, against the Cammona Tong influence of Orvas Dren. Dren held great influence on Vvardenfell, but who or what says that this Cammona Tong influence is rife in the mainland Hlaalu?

As for the overarching topic of the 'cause' of the war. I would say that it was simply Argonians being opportunistic. The weakening of the slave trade only strengthened them. The fall of the Empire further weakened the Dunmer, partly due to the Imperial-Hlaalu relations, but also because of the large Legion Garrison in Morrowind, which would have been effective in defending the province if the Empire still stood. Further, the circumstances of the Oblivion Crisis and Red Day weakened the Dunmer considerably, and the Argonian troop numbers were bolstered by the Recall to Argonia, and a new faction was at the reigns after proving itself in the crisis.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:41 pm 
Champion
Champion

Quote:
Looking at Morrowind, we can see that the corruption in the House is linked directly to the Cammona Tong. For instance, Dram Bero is clearly a stronghold of the true values of the House, against the Cammona Tong influence of Orvas Dren. Dren held great influence on Vvardenfell, but who or what says that this Cammona Tong influence is rife in the mainland Hlaalu?

I'm mostly saying that as even without Cammona Tong influence (though I'm betting Caldera's governor is Cammona Tong-hired but I can't recall) House Hlaalu can be pretty corrupt. The Cammona Tong is the corruption of racism within, ironically, the most open Great House of the Three. (Though Redoran doesn't care much about race, only Venim does. Telvanni only asserts superiority of the beast-peoples but their doctrine does allow for the beast-people to actually prove them wrong. Only openly racist house is Dres which wouldn't accept any of Dunmer, and Indoril will probably accept any but they must also join the Tribunal Temple. Extra benefits if ye be Dunmer.)

We see Helseth Hlaalu isn't at all Cammona Tong, but he is very much corrupt and very opportunistic. Not saying that all House Hlaalu is bad, but the House itself now sits on a foundation of corruption. They willingly accepted Imperial influence, which corrupted them from within. Basically any power-hungry Hlaalu need only to act in benefit of the Imperial regime to get what they want. They could literally make illegal settlements and conquer an entire region as long as the Empire benefited and the Imperial-Administration of Ebonheart remained in-tact.

Hence their originally mercantile and trading idea became one of "whom shall we dominate next?'. And while it would be a bit Redoran of me to point at Caldera-Mine as a sign of corruption. (usage of slaves in mines, lack of actual workers, most ebony is actually not going to the Imperials. But to the governors pocket.)

Probably the mainland House Hlaalu has alot of its own problems with both corruption and its actually-genuine good members. As we've seen in Morrowind, even the genuine members be they Imperial or Dunmer saw something wrong with the House.

No doubt the Imperials want to "remain close" to House Hlaalu via military forts.

Though that would be what seems to have happened; just the perfect opportunity for An-Xileel to gain power and overthrow (or rather replace) the Royal Government of Argonia.

It is interesting whether the Hist Trees will do something to stop An-Xileel or just remain quiet. As I'm sure the Hist didn't tell An-Xileel to attack Morrowind, as I'm sure the recall was only due to the Daedra invasion.

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:53 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

At the risk of diverging into an entirely separate matter, you're very wrong about House Hlaalu. For one thing, the House itself is not as corrupt as the propaganda of Houses Redoran and Telvanni would want people to believe.

If you take the time to read Grasping Fortune and listen to Curio and Bero, you'll see a side of the House that is not influenced by the Cammona Tong, and which, for the most part, is no less corrupted than any other Faction on the Island of Vvardenfell.

If you need more proof as to the Cammona Tong's corruptive properties, look at the Fighters Guild. To me at least, it's pretty clear that the blight on the House can be attributed almost entirely to the Cammona Tong.

As for Helseth, I'd also say that you should take into consideration his background, in Wayrest. Yes he blackmails, bribes, organises assassinations and is very much the opposite of noble, his corruption is not exactly a reflection on the House, as he spent his development in High Rock, well away from the House.

But as for the cause of the invasion, it certainly isn't any corruption of any Dunmeri Faction, but rather, the combination of factors, largely out of the control of te Dunmeri people as a whole. Perhaps the blame should be placed on Vuhon? Or Sul?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:02 pm 
Champion
Champion

Well I wouldn't agree with the whole souls for Ministry for Truth to be put up, but if it had to be done it had to be done.

It'd be more preferable if ancestor souls were used instead of living; as that wouldn't cause much controversy over the issue with the Dunmeri population.

But certainly with the fall of the Ministry of Truth; everyone was affected. Whether or not either feel sorry for what happened to Morrowind is entirely up to them; as neither of them are quite justified.

You fail at saving the life of your love, and indirectly kill some millions and damage your entire country.

Or you try to save the ministry of truth using live Dunmeri to keep the Ministry afloat; thus leading to the entire event.

Though it was going to fall, the Dunmer just had to slow its fall as it was going to hit with the same intensity that it had some centuries ago.

VVV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

absolute power corrupts absolutely
Remember that they used their new found allies in the Empire to get back at Indoril and Redoran...putting themselves in high positions of power...The Hlaalu were experiencing a golden age as the Empire's influence permeated Morrowind and just because they weren't as racist as the Cammona Tong doesn't mean they weren't corrupt. The basis of the House is around business and making wealth...in the most profitable way, whether that be from basic trading or gouging...

I'd say the use of the Dunmeri ancestors' souls would be more of an affront than to use the undesirables and criminals....as harsh as that sounds, that's Morrowind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Using the souls of the dead, that would be akin to necromancy in 'badness' to the Dunmer.

Re: Sul, well, if there is one person to 'blame' it's probably him.

Re: House Hlaalu, read please.
Quote:
But do not follow money blindly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:34 am 
Champion
Champion

Dram Bero also states;

Quote:
We are the only Great House who has embraced the irresistible tides of Imperial law and custom. And thus we have profited by the Empire's new policies, rising from obscurity as the Greatest of the Houses.

In the great wind of progress, tradition cannot stand.

Along with a why the other Houses suck, and Hlaalu is the best ever. Naturally all Great House intro-books do act in superiority to the other houses (Redoran is more pious and honorable than Telvanni and Hlaalu, Hlaalu is more business-wise than any of the Houses, Telvanni is the most "individualistic" thus giving freedom to the self; which none of the other Houses have.).

So Grasping Fortunes does show that Hlaalu propaganda is just as bad as Telvanni and Redoran; it's showing that they are very proud of the fact they 'accepted' the Empire and got the most profit from the situation.

But back to the point; although it would be similar to Necromancy (to which only Telvanni would not care), there was no other way to keep the Ministry up there.

Using live souls was very risky; as people would obviously disagree and then try to stop it. Then everything blows up, very bad situation.

But yes, I'd agree Sul is probably responsible for..well every-single death related to the Red Year. He doesn't have much of a defense besides it was "for love", which ironically killed the lover and the rest of the people of Vvardenfell.

I'm surprised Azura doesn't just strike him down for his careless mistake.

VVV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:36 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Power does not always go hand in hand with wealth, but it does corrupt just the same...if anything, material greed and expansionism are much lesser sins to the coveting and abuse of power.

Re: Souls of the Ancestors: It's much worse than Necromancy, the rising of a dead body is a defilement, but doesn't always require the original soul...taking the Ancestors from their resting and turning them into mindless fuel is much worse...stealing their earn respite is an affront to everyone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:41 am 
Champion
Champion

I suppose that would be the reason as they reverted to using living souls to power the Ministry of Truth, though the idea of "larger souls" is odd. How only a select few people/Dunmeri have these souls to power the Ministry.

Though it begs the question whether the Ordinators and Tribunal Temple knew about this, or even inhabited the Ministry during this time.

VVV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:46 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well either way, the Dunmer must have been desperate to let Vuhon do what he did, so I doubt that there was any other plausible way, otherwise House Telvanni's sorcerors would have just lowered the Ministry into the ocean.

As for Grasping Fortune, you can read that way if you wish Velothi, but Bero is saying that the Dunmer shouldn't kill themselves fighting for against the Empire as Redoran and Indoril did. As far as I see it, mass suicides due to the Imperial rule are neither constructive or respectful to Dunmeri tradition.

My point is that each House goes out to badmouth the others, so it only seems bad from the other side of the fence. Bero does not endorse murder, and claims that young Hlaalus have lost the way, going down a more corrupt path, largely due to the Cammona Tong influence.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next