UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Lore and Information on Giants?
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:58 pm 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Skyrim Morrowind
Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
Giants are intelligent creatures who are able to make tools. They herd mammoths for their milk and possibly their meat. No one knows wether or not that there are female giants or if they are asexual. They speak in a series of grunts and roars known as giantish. Knowing this language prooves useful in Daggerfall. They have immense strength, the ability to launch a player 350+ feet. They are also extremely heavy and can be easily launched away with a full unrelenting force shout. They then can be picked off by arrows or spells or swords.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:05 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: IV: GOTY, V: DG, HF, DB
Platform: PC (IV, V) & PS3 (V)
Alduin's Bane wrote:
Giants are intelligent creatures who are able to make tools. They herd mammoths for their milk and possibly their meat. No one knows wether or not that there are female giants or if they are asexual. They speak in a series of grunts and roars known as giantish. Knowing this language prooves useful in Daggerfall. They have immense strength, the ability to launch a player 350+ feet. They are also extremely heavy and can be easily launched away with a full unrelenting force shout. They then can be picked off by arrows or spells or swords.

Why would a giant be asexual? That's quite the claim. I think it's safe to assume that there are female giants (as there are female Falmer, or trolls). It's just a game mechanic that all giants are male, just like all animals are adults. I've never heard of anything being asexual in TES. (Could be wrong though.)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:17 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Actually, sloads are asexual.

One of the things added by the week 'o fun was purportedly female giants, but I've never seen anything to confirm that. All giants in-game have beards, but the females might feasibly have beards as well. Obviously, giants must have near-human intelligence, and it's not impossible that they might have shamans or some group similar capable of using magic. They're also capable of making tools and clothing, making cheese, making fires, and cooking food, all of which point to higher intelligence.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:19 pm 
Master
Master

Gideon Dragontongue wrote:
Actually, sloads are asexual. One of the things added by the week 'o fun was purportedly female giants, but I've never seen anything to confirm that. All giants I've seen have beards, but the females might feasibly have beards as well.

According to Racial Phylogeny, Sloads are hermaphrodites until they acquire their reproductive organs. I can infer that this means they mate with one another.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:24 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

It is essentially unknown how sloads reproduce, since by the time they reach the proper age their sexual organs have been absorbed. But I digress.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: I-V + expansions + add-ons
Platform: PC, PS3
Alduin's Bane wrote:

This^ is just game mechanics.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:32 pm 
Master
Master

Ilaro wrote:
Alduin's Bane wrote:

This^ is just game mechanics.

I agree.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 pm 
Master
Master

I dont know if it has been pointed out before but the giants came over from Atmora with the Nords

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:41 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena,Daggerfall,Morrowind GOTY,Oblivion GOTY,Skyrim
Platform: PC,Xbox
SajuukKhar wrote:
I dont know if it has been pointed out before but the giants came over from Atmora with the Nords

Yes,I believe it was written either in an in-game book or on the Beth forums that the Giants and the early Nords/Atmorans were very close cousins.Then something or other happened and the Giants retreated into the mountains.When they came down they were in the form closest to what they are "today"(in-game).This source also make a mention that when they returned from the mountains they were much more primitive than when they left,as if being away from a cultured civilization for so long had drained them of their Intelligence.

I will try to find the source where it makes mention of this but i read it along time ago so no promises.

How WWII started
Hitler: "I can not get the damn tre... I WILL KILL EVERYONE IN ZE WORLD!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:49 pm 
Master
Master

The last king of Atmora was supposedly a Giant.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:00 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
beny15 wrote:
SajuukKhar wrote:

Yes,I believe it was written either in an in-game book or on the Beth forums that the Giants and the early Nords/Atmorans were very close cousins.Then something or other happened and the Giants retreated into the mountains.When they came down they were in the form closest to what they are "today"(in-game).This source also make a mention that when they returned from the mountains they were much more primitive than when they left,as if being away from a cultured civilization for so long had drained them of their Intelligence.

I will try to find the source where it makes mention of this but i read it along time ago so no promises.

It's one of MK's writings, the Aldudagga.

Some people might scream that it's not canon, but it's referenced in Skyrim. See, the Aldudagga mentions painted cows.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:46 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion GOTY, Arena, Skyrim + DLCs | Battlespire/Redguard (bug fests that I didn't manage to complete)
Platform: PC,PS3
Quote:
Some people might scream that it's not canon, but it's referenced in Skyrim. See, the Aldudagga mentions painted cows.

That would be me :lol:
I don't know...using a painted cow (codename:Milka) as an argument doesn't really make it 100% true.That being said I'll have to admit that some of Mr. Krikbrides work has been used even after he left Beth so I'm not shooting it down just yet (especially because I haven't even read the damn thing).

Edit:[...]And Alduin said, "Ho ha ho."[...]
Ahahaha.......

Stormcloak and Dunmer Lover of the UESP Forums

~ ~ ~

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:26 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
It's important to remember the Aldudagga is meant as a collection of Nord folk-beliefs about Alduin, passed down as children's stories. These are the stories that are mentioned sparsely through the main quest of Skyrim. He comes across as a mustache twirling villain with that laugh, but I love this version of him.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4