UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lore and Information on Giants?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:58 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
Platform: PC, Xbox, Xbox 360
UESPoints: 20
If it was written by a giant, it'd be written in swirls on the side of a rock. Probably made with blue paint, or red blood.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:02 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: All
Platform: PC, Switch
UESPoints: 420
Pilaf The Defiler wrote:
It was recently revealed on a forum post by a dev that some content was cut during either the main quest or the civil war quest that would have involved bartering with giants to curry favor, by offering them painted livestock so they'd help you fight your enemies.

Perhaps that's why they're always fighting with dragons. Or maybe it's just because the dragons can't kill them as quickly as other wildlife.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:17 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 0
As far as speech goes I know they are capable of it. Upon nearing one of the orc strongholds a scripted encounter with a giant occurs in which the giant is fighting the orcs. During the fight I heard the giant yell something. I couldn't understand it but it seamed to have meaning and be directed at the orcs. I'm not sure if this was scripted to happen during the fight or if the giants just occasionally yell at their enemies. Also, after the giant dies an orc says something about how the giants could sense that their stronghold was week and were trying to invade it. This suggests the giants are also not as passive as they are made out to be. I cant remember which stronghold it was though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:36 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena,Daggerfall,Morrowind GOTY,Oblivion GOTY,Skyrim
Platform: PC,Xbox
Lag Master wrote:
As far as speech goes I know they are capable of it. Upon nearing one of the orc strongholds a scripted encounter with a giant occurs in which the giant is fighting the orcs. During the fight I heard the giant yell something. I couldn't understand it but it seamed to have meaning and be directed at the orcs. I'm not sure if this was scripted to happen during the fight or if the giants just occasionally yell at their enemies. Also, after the giant dies an orc says something about how the giants could sense that their stronghold was week and were trying to invade it. This suggests the giants are also not as passive as they are made out to be. I cant remember which stronghold it was though.

It's the one in the south next to Riften.

How WWII started
Hitler: "I can not get the damn tre... I WILL KILL EVERYONE IN ZE WORLD!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:11 am 
Modern Major General
Modern Major General

ES Games: Oblivn Goy, Morrwnd, Skrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Steam: The_Nanza
UESPoints: 8
The quest A Night To Remember
Spoiler:
involves getting back a goat which you accidentally sold to a Giant while you were drunk. The Giant's name was Gork, or Grok or something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:17 pm 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

Yeah, that just reinforces the idea that Giants are another fully sentient race, which would make sense considering their civilized behavior -

- They herd livestock and apparently forage for nuts and fruits, like hunter/gatherer societies which are just beginning to settle into farming. This is arguably a type of rudimentary civilization.

- They are literate. They have a written tongue of their own, can verbally communicate, and you can often find books written in Tamrielic in their loot, including the stone tables inside their caves, implying the Giants can and do read.

- They carry human currency, and trade with humans as evidences in quests mentioned above. They also accept livestock and gold as tribute, apparently.

- They have an appearance with traits found in both Nord and Aldmer facial and body features. Pale skin and elf ears of the Aldmer or Falmer and the stockier, wider facial features of the Nords. It's mentioned in sources by MK that "giants are our true ancestors." It's possible that these particular giants are a cousin species to elves and men, having descended from the earlier giants, a possible demigod step between the Divines and mortal races. It's similar to species propagation in our own world. It's possible for a parent species to evolve into several child races over time while still existing on its own without changing much. It's much more common with micro organisms like bacteria but does happen with mammals and other higher animals. In the early days of humanity on Earth, the homo sapiens may have lived alongside several cousin species and even at least one dwindling remnant population of a parent species, now long dead. Perhaps the giants are the Tamrielic equivalent, a dwindling relic of the step between the Ehlnofey and the smaller mortal races. They've been gradually crowded out or killed off in most quarters of the continent and now exist only in the North, in Skyrim and isolated places in High Rock and northern Hammerfell. That's my educated guess.

Monsters are bred in labyrinths, labyrinths are bred from walls. There is a reason the Giants choose to remain nomadic rather than follow their shield kin the Nords in building permanent settlements. The Tower is the beginning of all walls.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:10 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim Legendary Edition
Other Profiles: Steam:TheRangaBear
At least they have the decency to cover themselves so they must have at least a simple social structure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:37 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Arena, Oblivion
Platform: Pc and Xbox
Chaos the N'wah wrote:
Velothi wrote:
Maybe he's a mutated form of Frost troll?

Unlikely, he is massive compared to Trolls, has four eyes instead of three, and is implied to be able to not only speak, but is intelligent.

If I had to guess his origin, I'd say that he was either A) An ancestral throwback of giants that moved to Solsthiem and the giants of Skyrim changed with the changing seasons or B) The same scenario, but with trolls instead of Giants.
He could even be a sort of missing link between the two "races"...since we don't know the origins of Giants in the first place

I have speculated that he is in fact a Snow Demon from Kamal, given that he looks somewhat like an Oni and a yeti crossed two very asian looking things in a land very close to a surprisingly asian inspired land

now in regards to giants, I seem to recall some things written about giants before . . .but I cant recall what, definitly something other than the "giants made dwemer look small"

dangit it is in the back of my mind

I feel like it was important

anyways

When I was younger I heard alot about how in the real world myths of giants and cyclopses were appearently based on the ancient discovery of mammoth fossils . . . make of that what you will

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:58 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I stumbled across something rather interesting the other day, On the road to 'Riften' on the east side of the river there is a gaint camp, distinguishable by a wrecked horse and cart on the path to the camp.There is a sign-post with a note stuck in with a dagger. (ok now to the juicy stuff)

On the note is written something along the lines of(don't remember it exactly) "this giant is crazy and has been noted to be rather violent, trading of any type should not be attempted with him to do so is at your own peril."

Iv' already picked up the note but don't remember where i put it, if i find it i'll post a screenie.

How WWII started

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:55 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind
Platform: Xbox 360
Pilaf The Defiler wrote:
Yeah, that just reinforces the idea that Giants are another fully sentient race, which would make sense considering their civilized behavior -

- They herd livestock and apparently forage for nuts and fruits, like hunter/gatherer societies which are just beginning to settle into farming. This is arguably a type of rudimentary civilization.

- They are literate. They have a written tongue of their own, can verbally communicate, and you can often find books written in Tamrielic in their loot, including the stone tables inside their caves, implying the Giants can and do read.

- They carry human currency, and trade with humans as evidences in quests mentioned above. They also accept livestock and gold as tribute, apparently.

- They have an appearance with traits found in both Nord and Aldmer facial and body features. Pale skin and elf ears of the Aldmer or Falmer and the stockier, wider facial features of the Nords. It's mentioned in sources by MK that "giants are our true ancestors." It's possible that these particular giants are a cousin species to elves and men, having descended from the earlier giants, a possible demigod step between the Divines and mortal races. It's similar to species propagation in our own world. It's possible for a parent species to evolve into several child races over time while still existing on its own without changing much. It's much more common with micro organisms like bacteria but does happen with mammals and other higher animals. In the early days of humanity on Earth, the homo sapiens may have lived alongside several cousin species and even at least one dwindling remnant population of a parent species, now long dead. Perhaps the giants are the Tamrielic equivalent, a dwindling relic of the step between the Ehlnofey and the smaller mortal races. They've been gradually crowded out or killed off in most quarters of the continent and now exist only in the North, in Skyrim and isolated places in High Rock and northern Hammerfell. That's my educated guess.

apparently giants had seperate races of one another....

Quote:
"You have done well. I had thought you lost to me. The third piece of the Staff is yours. Rumors have been whispered about in the Empire. I think Tharn senses that the pieces come together. You must take care to not be discovered by him. Your death would be most unpleasant. I have divined the location of the fourth piece of the Staff. It lies in the Halls of Colossus, a structure built to honor a race of Giants, though none have been seen in the land for ages. It is said that the Halls of Colossus sat perched on a cliff overlooking the Great Divide, which is along the southern edge of Tamriel. Perhaps the Halls are near that coastline. I only wish I could offer you more. Fare thee well my friend, and find this place, for the sake of our loved ones..."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Arena
Platform: PS3, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox
I think there is one important thing that we need to examine here, and that is if Giants have white souls or black souls. I haven't been able to bring myself to test this, but it would tell us something about where Giants fall in the order of things.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:12 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Incarnal wrote:
I think there is one important thing that we need to examine here, and that is if Giants have white souls or black souls. I haven't been able to bring myself to test this, but it would tell us something about where Giants fall in the order of things.

White, but I think that is more a gameplay thing, or possibly an error

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:18 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

I agree with 'Ralock' on that, makes more sense to be white from a gameplay perspective, though i suspect IRESL you would need a black soulgem to capture their souls.

How WWII started

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:16 am 
Imperial Legate
Imperial Legate

I would imagine the white soul is a gameplay thing. The Falmer have white souls too IIRC and they're Elves. The Giants are as much "human" as the playable races, just different.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:30 am 
Warder
Warder

well, I found evidence that Giants arent descended from elves or humans....

Quote:
The history of Valenwood stretches back to the very beginning of recorded time: the date traditionally used as the start of the First Era is the founding of the Camoran Dynasty by King Eplear of Valenwood.
The history of the land, of course, began long before the first year of the First Era. Before man or mer came to Valenwood, the forestland was a salmagundi of creatures and strange civilizations. Centaurs, hippogriffs, satyrs, minotaurs, giants, basilisks, fairy folk, hydra, and intelligent apes all flourished there before the first Aldmeri stepped onto its shores. Indeed, the first challenge for the early Aldmeri was to rise from prey to predator in the forest's intricate heirarchy [sic] of life.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Gu ... /Valenwood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:37 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

JoeyDestructo wrote:
well, I found evidence that Giants arent descended from elves or humans....

Quote:
The history of Valenwood stretches back to the very beginning of recorded time: the date traditionally used as the start of the First Era is the founding of the Camoran Dynasty by King Eplear of Valenwood.
The history of the land, of course, began long before the first year of the First Era. Before man or mer came to Valenwood, the forestland was a salmagundi of creatures and strange civilizations. Centaurs, hippogriffs, satyrs, minotaurs, giants, basilisks, fairy folk, hydra, and intelligent apes all flourished there before the first Aldmeri stepped onto its shores. Indeed, the first challenge for the early Aldmeri was to rise from prey to predator in the forest's intricate heirarchy [sic] of life.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Pocket_Gu ... /Valenwood

what does the word salmagundi even mean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:36 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Morrowind,Oblivion,Skyrim
That fact that giants where in Tamriel when the elves arived dosent proove there not desended or related. There where tribes of men living in tamriel befor the nedes arived i believe, or atleast something like that, and they where still considerd men. You have to understand what the ehlphoney were and how they play into this. If you understand that than you will know that in the TES world related species could have devolped thousands of miles and many continents away from eachother, never even of met or desended from one another, and still be related.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:42 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: All
Platform: PC, Switch
UESPoints: 420
Ralok wrote:
what does the word salmagundi even mean

Google is your friend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:13 pm 
Warder
Warder

Anonymous98223 wrote:
That fact that giants where in Tamriel when the elves arived dosent proove there not desended or related. There where tribes of men living in tamriel befor the nedes arived i believe, or atleast something like that, and they where still considerd men. You have to understand what the ehlphoney were and how they play into this. If you understand that than you will know that in the TES world related species could have devolped thousands of miles and many continents away from eachother, never even of met or desended from one another, and still be related.

it doesnt say "nedes," it says "men" and "mer."

and I know what the elfonhey were, theyre a conveniant plot device

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:20 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

Quote:
it doesnt say "nedes," it says "men" and "mer."
Im not sure what your saying there, all I said is that races of men devolped seperate from the nedes yet thier still men. Look at the redguards, they lived in Yokuda far away from Atmora, They probably devolped thier seperatly with no relation ever to the nedes and yet thier still considerd "men". Just cuz giants devolped away from men and mer dosent mean thier not related.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:28 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Ehlnofey, sorry I had to because of all the misspellings.

On Men/Nedes: read http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Annotated_Anuad
It's a good read on how the Ehlnofey split into two factions, the Old Ehlnofey (Mer ancestors who all landed on Nirn on an intact land) and the Wanderers (Man's ancestors who landed separately and slowly gathered together over time), on the original whole landmass of Nirn and how their first re-encounter met with blows and a war that shattered Nirn into the island landmasses as they are now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:30 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ezactly, they sort of landed on Nirn, so two future to be races could have landed far apart and still be related, giants could of landded in Tamriel and Men in Atmora, and they could still be relatives

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Or be related to the Hist... :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:49 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

The Hist are trees.... but it seems like a cool idea that they could of been another survivor of the worlds of creation like the hist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:00 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The Hist are supposedly the Argonians' ancestor...so who knows, they could have other off-shoots...just probably not Giants...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next