UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Kingdom of Skyrim
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:25 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

UESPoints: 0
OblivionDuruza wrote:
What I want to know is why it's Lymdrenn Tenvanni's Journal. No 'L'? A typo, or a bad attempt to disguise his identity?

No, the journal was written by a wet nurse, she transcribed his words into the book. Likely it's either a typo or the servants lack of learning..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:23 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition (PC), Oblivion Game of the Year edition
Platform: Playstation 3, PC
Further - it appears if you kill the Emperor prior to the Legion's possible quest-line; then Elisif is not proclaimed High Queen of Skyrim.

(Further - that is direct violation of the Moot, where Ulfric did not claim to be high King until the Moot would assemble yet the Emperor can merely say Elisif is the High Queen?)

High Lord of the Great House of Indoril and Lord of Almalexia

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:20 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
Ah, okay, so most probably a typo?

@Velothi, I agree, Titus should not just be allowed to crown Elisif High King/Queen, she's not even the best suited for the job. However, we do know that the Mott's job has been lessened since their failure post Wild Hunt, and we know they only step in when their is no blood heir. Maybe, maybe, marriage is akin to blood relation in Skyrim, although it would seem doubtful.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:25 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition (PC), Oblivion Game of the Year edition
It seems that the Moot would declare both High King or Queen on a vote (Ulfric Stormcloaks states that even though he isn't High King - he'll act like it in order to rebuild the country). But it really shows that the Empire (if they win) control Skyrim.

No Moot, No traditions, No Election; just a foreign Emperor declaring a widow High Queen because her husband was an Imperial ally and thus she is an Imperial Ally.

It reminds me of how Kings of Morrowind was set up - they're basically Imperial puppets hand-chosen by the Emperor. So Ulfric, even if you don't like him, was basically saying the truth.

The Empire wins? The Empire chooses what Nord is 'good enough' for Skyrim - the Nords can't choose.

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:31 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, KotN, SI, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox, PS3, PC
Still think that an independent Skyrim is good for the Thalmor?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:47 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

At this point, I don't see the Empire regaining its lost glory because of it alienating the other provinces under it by accepting the Concordant which had similar terms as the Thalmor's original Ultimatum given to the Empire before the Great War.

Hope will come from independent nations banding together against the Thalmor, not suffering beneath their boots.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:09 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Velothi wrote:
It seems that the Moot would declare both High King or Queen on a vote (Ulfric Stormcloaks states that even though he isn't High King - he'll act like it in order to rebuild the country). But it really shows that the Empire (if they win) control Skyrim.

No Moot, No traditions, No Election; just a foreign Emperor declaring a widow High Queen because her husband was an Imperial ally and thus she is an Imperial Ally.

It reminds me of how Kings of Morrowind was set up - they're basically Imperial puppets hand-chosen by the Emperor. So Ulfric, even if you don't like him, was basically saying the truth.

The Empire wins? The Empire chooses what Nord is 'good enough' for Skyrim - the Nords can't choose.

This is hardly a democratic country, Velothi. The only difference would be that it would be the Nord elites declaring him High King, instead of the Imperial Elites. It's like freeing Nigeria and handing it over to <insert dictator here>

Founding member of the Weasel Forums Universe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:18 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3
Jarl Ulfric challengend the king to a duel, stunned him with a dragon shout, and killed him. The empire thought using the dragon power was unfair, and the duel unjust, and started a war.

I guess the people of Cyrodill have no feeling towards it, because I don't see Ulfric marching into Cyrodill.

'Sweet mother, sweet mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear.'

Ninja Text FTW!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:26 pm 
Champion
Champion

TheNightFather wrote:
Velothi wrote:

This is hardly a democratic country, Velothi. The only difference would be that it would be the Nord elites declaring him High King, instead of the Imperial Elites. It's like freeing Nigeria and handing it over to <insert dictator here>

I see you forget such things as 'Democracy of the Nobles' or 'Democracy of the Bourgeois" or 'Democracy of the workers'.

That would be a democracy of the nobles, where the nobles choose and elect - they have their privileges.

The progressive side of it is that the nobles of their own nation choose what they want.

Of course then another revolution must take place where the people have the power.

But search up "The Golden Liberty"

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:40 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Arena
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
The Silent Striker wrote:
Jarl Ulfric challengend the king to a duel, stunned him with a dragon shout, and killed him. The empire thought using the dragon power was unfair, and the duel unjust, and started a war.

I guess the people of Cyrodill have no feeling towards it, because I don't see Ulfric marching into Cyrodill.

No where, dose the empire ever say he challenged him, in fact their stroy, is he came in, used the shout left.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:22 am 
Layman
Layman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PS3, PC
Wolfie wrote:
The Silent Striker wrote:

No where, dose the empire ever say he challenged him, in fact their stroy, is he came in, used the shout left.

Surely the fact that we see Torygg in Sovngarde proves that the duel between him and Ulfric happened and it wasn't an assassination?

'Sovngarde, Shor told him, can be entered by any Nord who dies valiantly in honorable combat.'
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Sovngar ... xamination

To be honest I don't see the Empire surviving much longer no matter what the outcome of the war in Skyrim is. Both the Empire and the Thalmor are rebuilding their forces, but the Thalmor have been doing a very good job of alienating the Empire from the two provinces that aided it the most in the Great War. I don't think the imperial legion can hold or re-take Skyrim, and protect Cyrodiil from the Thalmor at the same time. I would say that Ulfric has a better chance with a independant Skyrim (which really isn't under direct threat of attack from the Thalmor except by sea.) of beating the Thalmor eventually than the Empire does.

And hi all, first post :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:50 am 
Champion
Champion

It's true - he's a picture of him in Sovngarde.

Spoiler:

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:53 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Quote:

Surely the fact that we see Torygg in Sovngarde proves that the duel between him and Ulfric happened and it wasn't an assassination?

I have not seen him in there... but I'm just saying what the empire is saying plus, the dule that Ufric used, is out of date and has not been used for ages, which they are saying makes it invaild

basicly neither side is right or wrong

Quote:
To be honest I don't see the Empire surviving much longer no matter what the outcome of the war in Skyrim is. Both the Empire and the Thalmor are rebuilding their forces, but the Thalmor have been doing a very good job of alienating the Empire from the two provinces that aided it the most in the Great War. I don't think the imperial legion can hold or re-take Skyrim, and protect Cyrodiil from the Thalmor at the same time. I would say that Ulfric has a better chance with a independant Skyrim (which really isn't under direct threat of attack from the Thalmor except by sea.) of beating the Thalmor eventually than the Empire does.

The problem many have, is Ufric the right man?

I agree the empire seems to be falling.

Also awsome 1st post

Quote:
It's true - he's a picture of him in Sovngarde.

And dose he have anythin to say? I must know.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:07 am 
Champion
Champion

Wolfie wrote:

I have not seen him in there... but I'm just saying what the empire is saying plus, the dule that Ufric used, is out of date and has not been used for ages, which they are saying makes it invaild

basicly neither side is right or wrong

The duel is out of date?

I'm assmuing you mean the Thu'um; which has been in use since before the First Era.

All the difference is that the Greybeards choose who can train for the usage of the Thu'um.

The Imperials have never used the Thu'um, the exception is Tiber Septim.

But really, how does it make it invalid?

Quote:
The problem many have, is Ufric the right man?

So far he's the only man in Skyrim willing to fight, the problem is that he let his idealism get to him.

But yes; I think he's fairly right for the job. I just wish he handled the organization better.

Quote:
And dose he have anythin to say? I must know.

I don't know as of yet.

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:15 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I do want to point out I'm not aginst ufric.
Quote:
The duel is out of date?

I'm assmuing you mean the Thu'um; which has been in use since before the First Era.

All the difference is that the Greybeards choose who can train for the usage of the Thu'um.

The Imperials have never used the Thu'um, the exception is Tiber Septim.

But really, how does it make it invalid?

No the tradition of fighting for leader ship, has not happen since before the first moot, the dule is out of date

they have not used it in many years, nothing to do with shouts.

Quote:
So far he's the only man in Skyrim willing to fight, the problem is that he let his idealism get to him.

But yes; I think he's fairly right for the job. I just wish he handled the organization better.

like i said the problem many have, not evre one

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:39 am 
Warder
Warder

They still fight for leadership in Solstheim.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, but its not to beomce hihg king is it?

thats a defreint thing complety

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:52 am 
Champion
Champion

There hasn't been fighting for the rulership of High King mainly because they're hand-picked by the Emperor.

Ever since the fall of the First Empire and the Septim Empire ruling over Skyrim - has the High King been hand-picked.

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:56 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Velothi wrote:
There hasn't been fighting for the rulership of High King mainly because they're hand-picked by the Emperor.

Ever since the fall of the First Empire and the Septim Empire ruling over Skyrim - has the High King been hand-picked.

Yes hince the old dule is old AND out of date

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:04 am 
Champion
Champion

Not really out of date as much as attempting to take power in ones own hands - rather than letting an Emperor hand-pick a King rather than the Nordic people.

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:07 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Velothi wrote:
Not really out of date as much as attempting to take power in ones own hands - rather than letting an Emperor hand-pick a King rather than the Nordic people.

Uhh the Nordic pepole have NEVER picked their king, it has always been by

A. killig the high king your self
B. Moot: leaders pick not pepole
C. Empire

It is out of date, has not been used in forever, its kind of like laws in the USA, there are some in some states that have never been taken down about beating your wife and such, they are out of date, but where never said to be "no loner the rule"

its a gray area

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:10 am 
Champion
Champion

By 'Nordic People'; I refer to the Moot because no where in the Elder Scrolls is there direct democracy.

So an indirect Democracy is what I'll be referring to; as a Council of Nords (Nobleman they may be) choose the King/Emperor/High King rather than a foreign Emperor.

But 'out of date' is referring to its either ineffective or a practice that shouldn't be preformed due to its age.

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:12 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Velothi wrote:
By 'Nordic People'; I refer to the Moot because no where in the Elder Scrolls is there direct democracy.

So an indirect Democracy is what I'll be referring to; as a Council of Nords (Nobleman they may be) choose the King/Emperor/High King rather than a foreign Emperor.

But 'out of date' is referring to its either ineffective or a practice that shouldn't be preformed due to its age.

What I am saying is NO one is following it

here is the proof, not one person at all has ever said he won but cheated, at all, none, no one, there for they dont care he used the shout to win the dule, they dont care he did the dule

The jarls them selfs wont back him eve when it is a tradition, why? cause they think its out of date, no logner used.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:14 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
UESPoints: 5
FrostyInferno016 wrote:
Still think that an independent Skyrim is good for the Thalmor?

If that was directed at me. Hell yes, there has been no evidence to prove otherwise.

@Velothi, Ulfric opposes the Moot, and the other Jarls. Told me so just a couple of hours ago when i went to see what all the fuss was about.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:35 pm 
Warder
Warder

A Nord-run Skyrim would be a sight to behold; in the words of King Theoden..."Let them come". It took the Empire 10 years to siege Solitude, and the only reason they succeeded was because someone betrayed Potema (not supporting her at all, just saying that's how it happened).

When it comes to what Ulfric says, he also told me that he'll respect what the Moot says. He may night like/agree with the process, but he's not going to override it, it seems.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next