UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: How long do Elves live?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:28 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
I'm not as well-versed in the Elder Scrolls lore as I'd like to be. Through my readings at the Imperial Library and the wiki I haven't found anything to answer my question.

Does anyone know how long each elven race is supposed to live naturally? I know the Altmer supposedly have long life spans (up to 1000 years), but do the other Mer share their aging process?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:10 am 
Guardian
Guardian

The Altmer have long life spans yes, I'm under the impression the Dunmer have slightly longer spans than the human races, and I think it's the same for the Bosmer, though I think the Dunmer live longer than them too. The Dunmer though, while they can live longer, not by nearly as much as the Altmer. It was something that a god taught the Altmer specificly that added like 400 years to their life span. A walking method I believe. Anyway. The Dunmer probably live to the Altmer's life span -400, and the Bosmer probably live almost as long as the Dunmer do. But I know nothing specific besides about the Altmer, so this could be totally off. Although considering how long Divath Fyr has lived in Morrowind... maybe the Dunmer have extremely long life spans as well (or it's just a perk of being a sorcerer). The bosmer though I know can't live as long as Altmer or Dunmer sorcerers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:43 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY
Platform: pc, xbox
I'm pretty sure the dunmer can reach ages of a thousand years and above, because I read somewhere that Divayth Fyr was that old. Also, Master Neloth of the Telvanni Council referred to a dunmer woman as a mere child of three-hundred years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:51 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

I personally hope I'm way off and the Dunmer have the longest life spans. :Twisted Evil: :Twisted Evil: :Twisted Evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:46 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Divayt Fyr is more than thousand years old and this is old, even for a dunmer.

This might give you some clue: (quoted from the imperial library)

Quote:
2E 865:Symmachus, future husband to Barenziah, is born.
2E 893: Barenziah, future Queen of Mournhold and later Queen of Wayrest, is born.

Tiber Septim starts the 3rd Era, a year after he united all Tamriel in 2E 896.
3E 391: Symmachus, husband to Barenziah, dies. When he is working hard to quell the rebellion in Mournhold, the Imperial Guards that were supposed to help him, leave and join the rebellion. The remaining troops are easily defeated by the rebel, Symmachus falls with his loyal troops. It is obvious that the rebellion is the machination of Jagar Tharn.
Circa 3E 430: the events of TES3

So at the events of Morrowind, Queen Barenziah is 430+(896-865) = 461 years old.
In Tribunal, there's a rumor that Symmachus might've been murdered because he was not that old. He died at the age of 422.

Conclusion: My guess would be that the average dunmer would become 500 years old.

The altmer probably live longer because of their resistance to diseases as they have in the games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:35 pm 
Warder
Warder

Divayth Fyr is about 4000 years old, according to Alpha Fyr or whatever her name is. But Telvanni wizards do crazy stuff that prolongs their lifespan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:27 am 
Guardian
Guardian

akatosh wrote:
The altmer probably live longer because of their resistance to diseases as they have in the games.

Actually that point I'm quite positive on. Some god or other taught them a way to walk to increase their natural life spans by 400 years. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:37 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

The oldest NPC in Morrowind is a Dark Elf, Mistress Dratha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:10 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

lowbart wrote:
Divayth Fyr is about 4000 years old, according to Alpha Fyr or whatever her name is. But Telvanni wizards do crazy stuff that prolongs their lifespan.

That means he was born in the beginning of the first era :shock:
He was already alive when the dwemer disappeared and when the battle of red mountain happened.

Quote:
The oldest NPC in Morrowind is a Dark Elf, Mistress Dratha.

Where did you get that information? (just curious)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:20 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Memory, which is not 100% now I have looked it up as it says she is the oldest living Telvanni councilor, and as Fyr is not a councilor could be that he is older.

There is an interesting post with quotes and references here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Telvanni lords probably aren't representative for the entire dunmer race.

500 years is IMO still probably the average age for a dunmer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:22 pm 
Warder
Warder

akatosh wrote:
The Telvanni lords probably aren't representative for the entire dunmer race.

I agree.

Dratha? I always figured Therana was the oldest of the Telvanni councilors and that's why she's so messed up. And actually I'm not 100% sure that I didn't misread the number of zeroes for Divayth Fyr, and besides, Alfe Fyr could have been exaggerating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:16 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

The whole thing about Telvanni aren't representative for the entire race is very true, but you could consider it to be they're representative for what the entire race could choose if it had a mind to. It can safely be said that it takes a very special kind of Dunmer to not be gifted in the arcane arts (assuming their life circumstances allows them to practice it, much unlike the folk of Seyda Neen on Vvardenfell).

So basically, all those references in the link rohugh posted about leading a better lifestyle helping the aging process slow down, add vast magick arts to increase the lifespan further, the only thing stopping any Dunmer (or Altmer it seems) from obtaining an average life span in the several-thousands is poverty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:45 am 
Warder
Warder

Divayth Fyr sort of alludes to experimenting with the preservative effects of Corprus.

One thing I want to know though, is if House settlement of Vvardenfell is fairly recent, what's a 4000 year old wizard doing setting up shop there? Telvanni councilors seem to be pretty set in their ways, and I would expect they'd be reluctant to move.

Unless they just figured it was too crowded on the Mainland and saw it as an opportunity to have more lebensraum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:48 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
Oathbreaker wrote:
Actually that point I'm quite positive on. Some god or other taught them a way to walk to increase their natural life spans by 400 years. :lol:

Actually it was 100 years. According to the Imperial Library.
Imperial Library Website wrote:
Phynaster : Hero-god of the Summerset Isles, who taught the Altmer how to naturally live another hundred years by using a shorter walking stride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:19 am 
Guardian
Guardian

Logius wrote:
Oathbreaker wrote:

Phynaster : Hero-god of the Summerset Isles, who taught the Altmer how to naturally live another hundred years by using a shorter walking stride.

Lol, my bad. I have slight dyslexia so sometimes I read things a bit off. xP guess my head put in an extra word that wasn't there.

As for Fyr setting up shop in Vvardenfell. Just think of all that prime real-estate just waiting to be used by the oldest Dunmeri sorcerer alive. He probably figured that a nice out-of-the-way place would benefit his corprus research far more than a crowded area (not just because it would be more practical for the research but it's a nice way of NOT spreading the disease).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:09 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY
Platform: pc, xbox
Oathbreaker wrote:
Logius wrote:
Oathbreaker wrote:

Lol, my bad. I have slight dyslexia so sometimes I read things a bit off. xP guess my head put in an extra word that wasn't there.

As for Fyr setting up shop in Vvardenfell. Just think of all that prime real-estate just waiting to be used by the oldest Dunmeri sorcerer alive. He probably figured that a nice out-of-the-way place would benefit his corprus research far more than a crowded area (not just because it would be more practical for the research but it's a nice way of NOT spreading the disease).

The telvanni are true expansionists, as proven by the fact that they've set up shop all over the island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:46 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any idea how long orcs live??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:10 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360,PC
Elves 1000 years accrding to the real barnza.

Orcs mybe 200 althgh I herd as low as 35 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:12 am 
Warder
Warder

UESP Wiki wrote:
Before coming to Morrowind, Divayth Fyr was a member of the Psijic Order. He was taken in by the Order as a gifted youth in magic, knowledge, and pursuit of truth. Eventually, he left because of matters of personal interest. He abandoned the Old Ways and devoted his life in the study of the New Ways, the Way of the Dwemer.

So he's pretty damn old.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]