UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The SheoDovah's Tales - SheoDovah's fanfiction thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:28 am 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Was going to just do a seperate thread for each game but I realised it could be a bit unneccessary when I could just update this post with links to each story in here. I've recently returned to writing fanfiction and have a few stories completed. They may be a bit big but hope ye enjoy them. UPDATED: Second story added. Rest will be hyperlinks in the list for ease of access after page 1.

TESIV:Oblivion Fanfiction

Originals and now Defunct version of Shaefinna's tales.
    Death of an Emperor - this post contains it.
    A Free Mage - Second Post below.
    Start of An Adventure - Third Post below

New stories are based on the recently rebooted Shaefinna and will be listed under here.

Destiny's Prologue

Death of an Emperor.

Spoiler:
The cell stank and provided little light for it’s Altmeri inhabitant. Saefinna was her name and her crime was assault. The Imperials loved to invite people to their most prized city, which was named the Imperial city. Saefinna always thought it was a lazy name for it and often joked about Alinor being renamed to Altmeri City if she was in charge. But what most imperials failed to mention in their books was that it had a bit of a criminal presence and Altmeri young women were a target out of the belief they were easy pickings. Most of the time that turned out to be a mistake on account of all Altmer being gifted with magic and was akin to swatting away a bothersome fly. She had been tasting a bottle of wine when trouble started to brew in the inn. She couldn’t recall the name of the inn but she did come across a drunken mage that insulted her. “Here to steal my magic are you?” “You think you’re soooo good because you’re an elf.” These were the kindest and it wouldn’t have mattered apart from the first punch. Saefinna had reacted to the mage’s attempted assault with a blast of magic. It did not harm him but the poor table that they landed on was killed by his large posture.

She was blamed for starting a fight an hour later and taken to prison for being dangerous. Her crime was assault officially but it was mostly to avoid a magical duel. The Nine knew it was bad enough when that happened at the Arcane University! In the streets of the Imperial City would be a nightmare!

She had stayed at the rear of the cell and spent her time recounting the last book she read. It was on the Life of Uriel Septim VII and had lazily summoned a skeleton over and over again to past the time. She wasn’t too fussed about her stay as she knew it wouldn’t matter in the long run. She was rather cocky and laid back as a person. To her, she was better then everyone else. To everyone else, she was another High Elf.

On the 7th day, she decided to break from her routine of staring at the ceiling for hours on end, practising magic, perfecting the art of lollygagging and got off the rags that made up her bed. It was kind to call it a bed and was uncomfortable but far better then being at sea.

“Well, what do we have here?” A dunmer leaned against the bars of his cell. “look at the elegant Altmer maiden. Where's your dignity now, huh? Where's that famous High Elf poise and bearing? You know, my time's almost up. Pretty soon I'll be free, and you'll still be stuck in this rat hole, waiting for your execution. That's right. I heard some of the guards talking. You're going to die in here, "High" Elf! You hear me? You're going to die in here!” He laughed. “Oh look, an ass. The Imperials think of everything. Tell me, do you do other things then speak rubbish? Do they give you extra treats for insulting others? It must be terrible drool guarding the likes of you. I mean, you’ve been in here for a lot longer and not once, you have tried to escape. Where as, I could make these bars disappear if I cared to.” Fortunately, the Dunmer was spared the speech that Saefinna was about to go on about how she was superior to the gutter trash that resided opposite her when the sound of voices came through the air.

"My sons...they're dead, aren't they?"
"We don't know that, Sire. The messenger only said they were attacked."
"No, they're dead. I know it"
"My job right now is to get you to safety."
"I know this place ... the prison?"
"Yes, your Majesty. Beneath the Legion Compound. We're headed for a secret passage known only to the Blades. No one can follow us through here."

They approached the cell of Saefinna and it was quite the shock. Uriel Septim VII, Emperor of Tamriel was standing in front of her very cell with his blades. “Why is this prisoner in here? This cell was meant to be free all the time!” A blade inquired. “Usual mix up with the watch.” Another retorted. “You, prisoner, move away and you won’t be harmed.” The captain or the woman Saefinna assumed was the captain based on the tone she used. She complied and moved over to the window. “You? I’ve seen you in my dreams. Let me take a closer look.” Uriel addressed the Altmeri prisoner. “Your majesty, that is quite disturbing and complimentary.” She commented as she went to bow before him. “There is no need for formalities but you are the one from my dreams. Then the Stars were right, this is the day.” His voice was filled with weariness and acceptance. “Your majesty, what is going on?” Saefinna inquired. “Assassin’s killed my sons and I am next. By chance, the entrance to that escape route runs through your cell. Whatever it is you have done, that is not what you will be remembered for but today is where you start your path and mine ends.” He told her. “We best get moving,sire. Don’t close this as we don’t know if it can be opened from the other side.” The lead Blade told the others and the Emperor. “Looks like this is your lucky day, prisoner.” The Redguard Blade told Saefinna. “Nah, I’m just blessed by the Nine.” She remarked. She walked up to the bars as the others began to make their way into the escape route. “Hey Dunmer, guess what? I’m free and guess what, you’re stuck in there. Oh, that’s right, you’ll die in there.” She told the Dunmer. It made no sense but it felt good.

She followed the blades and the emperor. “Who goes there?” The female blade asked. “The dawn takes all.” A voice responded. 10 men in black and red armour appeared out of nowhere. “PROTECT THE EMPEROR!” The captain yelled out. “Protect yourself.” Uriel advised Saefinna as the attackers charged at them. The female blade impaled one with her blade before duck to sink it into the thigh of another one. The owner yelled out in pain before being killed. The Redguard deflected blow after blow after blow with his shield and responded with simple yet effective thrusts. The Imperial was using aggressive strikes and his speed exceeded the attackers. His blade penetrated their armour and separated their heads. Their armour was weak or seemed to be as he move through them, one at a time. But before the last one was killed, the Captain was taken from Mundus. The man thrusted a dagger into her throat and her lifeforce was spilled onto the ground.

“Sir, we should move on.” The redguard told the Emperor. “Captain Renault?” He inquired though he knew the truth. “I’m sorry, sire. She’s dead. We have to keep moving.” Uriel walked down the dark corridor and towards the door. “You, prisoner, stay behind and we won’t kill you.” The imperial told her. Uriel glanced at her and in his heart, he knew she would save his Empire. It was fate that would drive her to reunite with him before the end of the path. His blades would not and could not understand it but the prisoner was vital.

“Well, [&@%!].” Saefinna uttered as she watched her only escape option walk away and the door was locked behind them. “Escape, I said. It’ll be easy and I can get back to getting better at the blade and art of magic, I said.” She uttered as she walked around the battlefield in the small room. The assassins were all over the place. They were no match for the Blades but their numbers were their strength.

She whistled and was very impressed. 10 against 3 in any situation was unfavourable yet the blades dealt with them without too much trouble apart from the dead captain. “Sorry, Renault. You’ve served your emperor well but I’m going to need your blade. Nothing personal, just unarmed and this isn’t a good place for magic. Rather not set fire to the place. But don’t fear, I’m apparently the one from his dreams.” She commented as she slowly prised the katana from the blade’s dead hands. “Nice blade.” She uttered just as something smashed in the far corner. “Oh for the love of Julianos!” She expected to be overwhelmed by more assassins and she would have died without taking any down. She knew that in her heart. Sure, she had a bit of experience with a blade but never really fought in actual combat before.
To her surprise and relief, it was a rat. A few seconds later, it was a roasted rat. She walked over to the hole where a wall had been previously and looked into it. “Thanks, Rat.” She cautiously entered it and illuminated the area with a simple illusion spell. She spotted a skeleton with leather armour on leaning against the wall and opposite a bucket. She walked over to it when she heard the squeaking of a rat and spun around just to see half a rat landing next to her foot. “That was odd.” She remarked in surprise at her kill. “As for you, sorry but I need this more then you do. Man, I never thought I’ll be wearing this.” She uttered as she slowly removed the rough leather armour from it’s deceased armour. The bones were quite brittle and a few snapped easily. “Doesn’t stink.” She commented and was relieved. After putting it over her cloth shirt, she removed the leather boots. Both were badly beaten up and in rough condition. They barely looked like they were useful but it was better then nothing. “Right, Saef, find the emperor, fulfil my destiny, yadadada, get rich. Should be simple.” She told herself as she walked towards the door. She saw a dead creature holding a crude weapon. It was made out of wood and had small spikes on it. “Is that a goblin?” She inquired. She recalled a picture she saw in a book a few years back when she was studying some bestiary and it looked just like the specimen in front of her. “Explains why this is in bad shape.”

She unlocked the door using the iron key she liberated from the goblin and made her way through the corridor. Rats fell to her blade as she made her way through the abandoned remains of what was surely part of the prison. She even killed a zombie with a simple flare spell. Today was proving to be quite an adventure for her. She travelled through it dealing with whatever pests she came across until she entered a cave. She took cover behind a pile of logs when the sound of arrows flew in her direction and pushed them down a hill. “Ok, was expecting them to move.” She remarked as she got up and resumed her travel.

She entered the central area of the cave or she assumed it was at least and came across three goblins. The first fell to a touch spell called Shocking Touch. The Second was lit ablaze and ended up becoming fuel for the brazier it was tending to. The Shaman was the real challenge for her and they engaged in a minor magical duel. She came out on top when her sparks sent it crashing through a small fence. She claimed it’s crude staff as her own. It used the head of a goblin and the skeletal hand as the main shaft. How it worked, she did not know but it would be useful to have.

She ended up catching the blades and Uriel Septim VII. He asked her what her birth sign was and learnt that she was born under the Lady. Saefinna was shocked to hear that this was the day he would die and he was content to die.

So, they made their way towards the exit and would have escaped if the gate hadn’t been locked. It was a trap. Saefinna was charged with guarding the emperor just seconds before the assassin’s attacked.

"I can go no further. You alone must stand against the Prince of Destruction and his mortal servants. He must not have the Amulet of Kings!
Take the Amulet. Give it to Jauffre. He alone knows where to find my last son.
Find him, and close shut the jaws of Oblivion."

The Amulet of Kings was thrusted into her hands and Uriel gave her no chance to object to it. “Sire, I’m just a prisoner. Ex-Prisoner, I suppose but if you think the Nine have used me in their plan, I wildo my best.” She told the Emperor. “Goodbye, my friend.” He turned to face the wall and faced down his killer. The assassin’s blade sank into his torso. “You’ve chosen the wrong side.” He told her and charged at her. She tried to strike at him but her blow was deflected. He thrusted at her and she barely managed to jump out of the way. She shocked him with a spell and tried to finish him but he blocked it and drove her back until the redguard embedded his sword into the assassin’s stomach. “Dawn will rule…….Supr...” He fell to the floor and Saefinna saw the full extent of the assault. There were 20 dead bodies littered around the place and the Imperial’s was surrounded 15 of them. She retrieved his sword and handed both Katanas over after speaking to the redguard. He revealed his name to be Baurus and trusted the Emperor’s last act. Saefinna of Alinor, Summerset Isles was entrusted to bring the Amulet of Kings to Jauffre. This was merely the start of a long path for her.

Last edited by The SheoDovah on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The SheoDovah's Tales - SheoDovah's fanfiction thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:12 pm 

A Free Mage
Spoiler:
“Go now. There’s no telling who will come next. I’ll guard the Emperor’s…...” Baurus took a deep sigh as he struggled to contain his emotions. “It wasn’t your fault.” Shaefinna told the redguard as she looked down at the corpse of Uriel Septim VII. “Just go before more turn up.” He was grateful for the swords of his comrades being returned to him. She only used Renaults as a back up for when her magicka ran out. Unlike most mages, she was born under the star of the Atronauch. Those born under it had stunted magicka and would never generate natural magicka. Instead, they had to rely on potions but they did have one benefit. They could naturally absorb magic half of the time and use it to charge themselves.

“The Nine guide you.”
“The Nine guide you.”

After opening the door to the sewers, she knew this was going to suck. The well wasn’t that big and the smell was strong. It was either press forward or potentially end up being another victim and she was rather fond of the whole being alive activity that most people undertook on a daily basis.

“By the nine!” She exclaimed as she reached the bottom of a very long ladder and tried not to think what foulness resided in these sewers. “I better not run out.” She muttered as she cast a simple Illusion spell to light her way and summoned a skeleton to help guard her. She slowly walked through the chambers whilst wishing she was back in the cell. At least, there, she wasn’t going to choke to death on the smell of imperial waste. Still, could be worse.

She killed a rat that tried to eat her. The third time that occurred today and was glad that she hadn’t walked into an ambush. She did take a few lives of the assassins but it was with magic and luck. By herself, she was very unsure of her ability to stay alive if 20 of the red robed curs had laid a final ambush. It was fortunate they either were unaware of the last part of the escape route or they had all been killed.

“Seriously? Here?” She uttered as two goblins appeared and elected to attack her. She didn’t give them the chance to get close and killed them with two simple fireballs. “Man, I need better spells.”

The rest of the journey was silent and the elven mage was relieved. She saw sunlight ahead after what felt like an hour of walking and knew freedom was at hand.

“Yes! YES!” She exclaimed as she approached the iron gate and was ever so glad that fate decided to not tease her with a lock beyond her capability to use magic to bypass it.

She fell onto her knees and hands as soon as she was clear of the sewer and never realised how fresh the air was. “I am never forgetting you again!” She decreed as she breathed in the fresh air and
would have kissed the ground if it weren’t for the fact that dirt made for a poor substance to be kissed.

She looked at the amulet that she had been hold in her hands and knew she had no real way of hiding it beyond using the sack cloth breeches that she had been given. Well, given against her will and given the option of either voluntary getting into them or being forced into them. She naturally chose the former.

“Ok, get you to this Jauffre fella, try not to get eaten, killed or starve to death on the way. Should be simple.” She wondered aloud. She had a bit of a tendency to talk to herself and think aloud.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:19 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3
UESPoints: 2
I like these this is good. i have not played oblivion for many years and will probably not for many more so this is also good to save time and experience the game without playing it again.

p.s. the second chapter should be called "The Hoorror of Tutorials Section"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:51 pm 

That would be a bit meta and doesn't really suit the story. Glad you're enjoying them! Currently working on one at the moment. Just got to finish it off then publish. Probably do a bit of a skip to Kvatch afterwards as it may get BORING for me to do filler from the amulet delivery to Kvatch and then probably space out the stories in terms of time setting between weeks. E.g. story 5 takes place 2 weeks after story 6.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:46 pm 

Kinda rushed the last bit of the story. Really shouldn't work on it over a few days as this can happen. Got Kvatch kinda planned out and for pacing lengths and because it's techincally two quests in the game, I may split the story into 4 parts at least.

Start of an Adventure

Spoiler:
After spending an hour breathing in the fresh air and sitting on the small pier outside the sewer, Shaefinna finished going over to what in Oblivion had happened in her head. She knew it was vital to get the red amulet that was tucked into her breeches to Weynon Priory but she also knew it was vital to find some coin. She had no clue of which way to go and worse, she felt it was best to keep away from the city of voices, gold and the heart of the empire, The Imperial City.

She got up off the worn wooden boards and let out a cry of surprise as it gave way. She fell backwards into the cold waters of the lake and surfaced a second later. She swam to the shore and was a bit annoyed that she was drenched. Fortunately, the Amulet remained tucked into the waistline of her breeches.

After walking east for a few hours with the occasional stop to drink directly from the lake, she came across a small gray flying creature that caught her by surprise. The purple aura that surrounded her as the lighting hit her recharged her and she gave it a present via the form of fire. It fell to the ground and she walked over it. “Is that an….. Imp?” She inquired as she inspected it’s body and recalled it being used in basic potions. She slowly began to cut away at it’s skin until she had a sufficient quantity and realised her mistake. “Ah. Right.” She wasn’t used to being without a handy satchel for potion making and really wished her rags had pockets in. She was forced to discard it.

She looked up at the cave ahead and saw a wooden door. “Why is there a door?” She got up and walked over to it. She pressed against it with her hand and it collapsed. She entered the cave and was engulfed in darkness apart from the odd blue light that illuminated small parts of it.

She walked ahead and easily dispatched an Imp after recognising the species. She was a big fan of reading books and was going off by the pictures she had seen. She ventured forward in the darkness with only the spell Candlelight illuminating the darkness and dealt with the imps that tried to kill her. It was half an hour before she came across something of note and she knelt down beside it. It was a skeleton of a human. She saw it’s leather shield and the rusted dagger in it’s hands. “Sucks to be you.” She muttered as she toyed with the idea of taking the shield to sell but without a sack, her choices were rather limited.

She ventured on and discovered a corpse of an unfortunate adventurer on top of a large flat rock. “May the Nine watch over you.” She closed the redguard’s eyes with her hand and checked him for any septims. Sure, it wasn’t respectful but destiny apparently chose her as it’s champion.

She continued to explore the cave with little resistance from the various Imps that inhabited the place until she came across something that wasn’t quite right for a cave. The rocks had slowly slide back and opened to reveal two very faded white marble doors. Shaefinna was curious to find out what laid behind them and had read about the ruins of the ancient elves known as Ayleids. “Could it be?” She slowly pushed against it and entered the ruin. The corridors were a combination of rock and marble. It stank of decay and dust was visible in the air. “Akatosh, it reeks.” She uttered as she pressed forward and spotted a grey stone tablet next to a skeleton. It was written in a dead language, one used by the Ayleids and a small translation was written on a small piece of Parchment. “Merida? Where have I heard that before?” She inquired to herself.

She ventured forth and dealt with any imps that tried to kill her with ease both inside and outside the ruin. Her boots were filled with the cold waters that surrounded the exterior of the underground ruin. She presumed it was underground. She explored the rest of the ruin and discovered a small ruined stone chair. “Must have been where the big cheese ruled.” She mused as she walked past it.
“Poor soul. At least it’s him and not me.” She crouched down to examined the dead scholar and checked him for anything that would reveal what happened in the ruin. She found nothing but noticed a similar tablet as before. “That name. Just where have I heard it?” She left the ruin with the scholar’s satchel and a few items that would make her some coin.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:08 pm 

Kvatch is being covered in 4 parts. I intend to have Shaefinna constantly grow in power to reflect the levelling system in the game and to show that her true potential is slowly being unlocked. I am taking a few liberties with some parts and may outright change it. E.g. The Castle battle being altered to show something that is in charge as i felt the quest was rather underwhelming during it's climax.

Anyway, to those that are reading this. (:O) Enjoy!

KVATCH

Spoiler:
“Find him and close shut the jaws of Oblivion!”

“Yes, I know of him.”

“You must hurry. Find him before the enemy does.”

Shaefinna couldn’t stop hearing those words every time she slept in the past week or so. It had been a fortnight since the death of Uriel Septim VII. A fortnight since her unauthorised release from the prison of the Imperials and start of her destiny.

She rose from her slumber and broke her fast on some bread with cheese. It wasn’t much but Jauffre, Grandmaster of the Blades had given her plenty of supplies to last the journey. “Cheese again. Knew I should have topped up in Skingrad.” She uttered as she cut the loaf in half and smothered it with what was left of the wheel. She had other choices for her meal but they were dwindling. She rolled up the bedroll and went on her way. The countryside flourished in Cyrodiil and offered plenty of ingredients for Shaefinna. She harvested what she could during the next few hours until she approached Kvatch.

Kvatch, the second largest city in the province stood above her. It’s walls were it’s most defining feature but they seemed to be black. “Must be ebony.” The Altmer mused as she looked at it and continued on her way.

An Altmeri man ran up to her as she walked along the road. “Come on! Run while there's still time! The Guard still holds the road, but it's only a matter of time before they're overwhelmed!” The man exclaimed with sheer unrestrained horror and fear in his tone. “Wait, overwhelmed? What happened?” Shaefinna inquired and knew this wasn’t a time to joke about. "Gods' blood, you don't know, do you? Redraw overran Kvatch last night! There were glowing portals outside the walls! Gates to Oblivion itself! There was a huge creature... something out of a nightmare... came right over the walls... blasting fire. They swarmed around it... killing..." Without giving her time to respond, he fled past her. “Daedra!? Just what have I gotten myself into!?” She exclaimed with fear and excitement in her voice.

She walked up the road and found a makeshift camp. 20 brown tents were crammed into a small area. Small fire pits were heating rats, children were crying. Men and Women were consoling each other. The air itself seemed to stink of brimstone,fire and death. Sadness ruled the day and it’s citizens were mourning, illness, wounded and tears. She walked through it whilst overhearing parts of the conversations that were going on around the camp. She saw an elderly Imperial further up the road and approached him. “I’m looking for Martin.” She told the man. His face was filled with sorrow and seemed to just not want to exist. “Hope is gone. The Imperial line is dead. The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won.” His faith was broken. “I need to find Martin. Where is he?” She inquired. He repeated himself. “I’ll find him myself. Priest, go spread your despair to the rest of the camp. I’m sure there’s a few children who won’t mind being upset.” She was rather annoyed by the man and ventured forward.

The sky slowly turned a crimson red. The sound of fire crackling echoed through the air and thunder erupted repeatedly. “By the nine.” She uttered as she walked further up the hill and fought the urge to run away. Run away back to Alinor City where destiny had no place. Run away to safety but no, Uriel Septim VII trusted her. He saw that she was destined to save Tamriel. She would not retreat like a mouse.

“HOLD THEM BACK!”

She heard a voice yell as small beasts charged at a line of wooden stakes, shields and spears. “DO NOT LET THEM PAST THE LINE! HOLD THE LINE! HOOOLD IT!” The Guards in a white tunic with chainmail protecting their soft flesh thrusted their spears at the beasts. Their swords came at them like a hammer and their shields prevented the claws from doing harm. “DIE NOW MORTAL!” A figure in black and red armour yelled in a deep raspy voice. It’s claymore was stained blood red and had small brown horns protruding out of it’s head. It’s gray hair and red eyes added to it’s imposing figure. It easily chopped a poor imperial into two pieces. “YOUR BLOOD IS MINE!” It yelled. “KILL IT! KILL IT!” The man Shaefinna assumed to be in charge yelled. Arrows were loosened at it but it seemed to only annoy it. “ALL YOUR SOULS BELONG TO LORD DAGON!” The figure yelled as he continued to charge at the line with more beasts running behind it. “Oh no you don’t!” Shaefinna yelled as she ran to the line and gave her contribution in the form of a few fireballs and iceballs. “YAAAGRH.” The figure was felled. “Thanks for the assistance.” The Captain turned to her. “You can thank me when the city is… .actually, what happened to it?” Shaefinna inquired. “We lost the damned city, that's what happened! It was too much, too fast. We were overwhelmed. Couldn't even get everyone out. There are still people trapped in there. Some made it into the Chapel, but others were just run down in the streets. The Count and his men are still holed up in the castle. And now we can't even get back into the city to help them, with that damned Oblivion Gate blocking the way." He yelled in anger. “[&@%!].” She could only offer words but only that one came to mind. “Sorry for your losses but I need to find a Brother Martin.”

The captain looked at the red glowing portal that stood before the city gates. “You mean the priest? Last I saw him, he was leading a group towards the Chapel of Akatosh. If he's lucky, he's trapped in there with the rest of them, at least safe for the moment. If he's not... “ Savlian Matius was his name and he was the only officer left.He had saved what was left of the citizens of Kvatch. He and 30 other guards fought their way through the city three nights ago. Since then, they had been fighting the Daedra. They were tired, hungry and on the verge of abandoning the city but Savalian refused to give it up. Not whilst he still had a single breath left in his body.

The portal was in between two giant jagged pieces of black rock. They protruded out of the ground with the last third being dark red. Bodies of both Daedra and mortals scattered the battlefield. The air reeked of death.

“Damnit!” Shaefinna clenched her fist. “So, what in the name of Akatosh is that?” The elf inquired. “Some kind of portal to Oblivion. The enemy used them to attack the city -- they appeared outside the walls and daedra poured out! They've opened one right in front of the city gates. Until that Gate is closed, the best I can do is try to hold these barricades." Savlian replied with fatigue being presence in his voice. “Can it even be closed?” She asked whilst gripping the leather sheath of the steel sword she had been given by Jauffre. “They opened a larger one during the night. The [&@%!] closed it after burning my goddamn home!”

“Look, I’m going to really regret this, probably die in the process but I want to help.” Shaefinna hated herself for willingly offer to fight Daedra. She was just a mage!

“I sent men into the Gate, to see if they could find a way to shut it. They haven't come back. If you can get in there, find out what happened to them. If they're alive, help them finish the job. If not, see what you can do on your own. The best I can say is, good luck. If you make it back alive, we'll be waiting for you." When exiting conversation, Savlian will wrap it up: "Good luck. It's a brave thing you're doing.” Savlian looked at the glowing portal with sheer hatred flowing through him. If looks were a weapon, the gate would have surely exploded. “If I can, I’ll find them. If not, I’ll see what I can do to get this abomination closed.”

“OH [&@%!]!” A guard yelled as more beasts came charging out of the portal. Shaefinna hopped over the barricade and clenched both fists. “Welcome to Cyrodill!” She unleashed a powerful blast of fire in their direction. It sent everything in front of her flying and they smashed against the rocks, the charred floor and some went back to Oblivion. She had signed up with the Mages Guild a week ago and ever since that fateful day in the sewers of the city of voices and gold, she seemed to be growing in power. Her magic was twice as powerful as it was prior to her imprisonment. She unsheathed her blade and touched the portal with it’s point. The portal swallowed it. She pulled it back and to her surprise, it was untouched. “Here goes nothing!” Shaefinna jumped into the portal and was blinded for a few seconds.

She felt solid rock touch her feet and was greeted by the sight of a giant tower in the distance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:06 pm 

Kinda not happy with the current version of Shaefinna. Both in game and my stories. Kinda feel that she is very limited and cliched. So, i restarted the game and am restarting this. All stories will remain up here but I'll put them under an "Old version" tag in my OP. Kinda feel that there is no real reason for the reader to care about her exploits and well, I want to see if planning the character makes any difference.

Probably going to do a proper prologue then a better, slightly altered version of the opening of Oblivion and go from there. But the rust seems to be slowly getting shaken off. Each story feels like it's my old stuff from a few years back so with luck, I'll be back to my previous quality of writing within a few more stories. :D I feel my stuff from years ago was much better then what i've done so far thus I can get back to it, improve and try to make Shaefinna believable as a character)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:13 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: III, IV, V
Platform: XB1
UESPoints: 10
The SheoDovah wrote:
My COC was a dull/bordering towards Mary Suedom and I caught that just a few stories in.
I tried writing some fanfic from an Oblivion play-through once and hit the same problem. It was kind of... a bit dull. What makes for a good video game doesn't always translate into a good written story.

I decided that if I ever tried a 2nd write-up I would start with a strong dramatic moment from later on in the story and then fill in any of the backstory with flashbacks if I really needed to. Maybe that might be an option worth thinking about?

Anyways: a coupla things that spring to mind, that may or may not be of interest/use...

Hidden:
Generally the story flows quite well and I only had to stop and backtrack once (to figure out who 'the Imperial' in part 1 was) which is a good sign.

Re apostrophes - "it's" is short for "it is", use "its" for possession.

Blades (as in the group) always wants a capital 'B'.

She is born under the Lady and wearing leather armour in part 1 - then back to prison rags and born under the Atronach in part 2?

Autocorrect is great but you still need to double-check - because apparently "Redraw overran Kvatch last night." Damn that Redraw! :o

And also if you're going to copy'n'paste from the wiki, be careful what you're copying:
When exiting conversation, Savlian will wrap it up: "Good luck. It's a brave thing you're doing.”

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:25 pm 

Forgot about the first version of her. Thanks for letting me know. :) Tis a bit of a mess as i'm on the third version of her in teh game. Knew Autocorrect screwed me over somehow! Tis partly why I've made plans to reboot everything. Probably work on a mixture of the first story interlaced with small flashbacks. Mainly as an experiment and mainly because I don't want to spend too long in the backstory. That and Shaefinna 3.0 in the game is very different. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:49 pm 

Here is the first story of the rebooted Shaefinna. Kinda experimenting here with different points of view but am loving how it turned out and may use it more often. Tis a prologue and based on the first secton of the tutorial.

Enjoy!

Destiny’s Prologue
Spoiler:
The cell was small and through three steel bars, the light offered little comfort to it’s inhabitants. The city of voices and gold flourished and it’s criminals always saw the inside of the Imperial Prison. No-one had escaped since the days of the Usurper Tharn and contained plenty of inhabitants in it’s vast cells. It could hold up to 1000 but rarely exceeded 100. There was a cell that was always kept off limits by order of the Emperor of Tamriel’s Blades, the bodyguard and hands of the Emperor. However, from time to time, there would be a mix up and someone was mistakenly placed there. Usually, it meant nothing but the Altmeri woman who had been wrongly arrested would be vital to the survival of Tamriel.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Uriel Septim VII woke covered in cold sweat in his quarters after receiving a disturbing vision from Akatosh, the god of time. As a Dragonborn, he received such visions throughout his life and played a part in many of the events during his reign. From being kidnapped to the Nevaraine’s return, he was never directly involved apart from when he was kidnapped by the usurper thorn but always pushed the Nine’s chosen champion towards destiny.

The vision he received showed him his death. The death of his beloved sons and the invasion of the Daedra Prince of Destruction, Mehrune’s Dagon. Two days from now, he would be murdered after his sons. Two days from now, he would meet a red haired Altmeri woman and she would be with him until the end. The Elder Council ruled in his stead whenever he was ill or had to take a leave of absence but they had never been truly tested.

He donned his purple gown and left his room whilst clutching the Amulet of Kings around his neck. It never left his side for he knew too well what it was worth to those in the wrong hands. “May I be of assistance sire?” Tirus, the guard stationed outside his room for the night inquired. “No but I appreciate the offer. I just require some fresh air.” Uriel informed the Imperial and ascended the tower until he reached the top of the Gold Tower, the centre of the Imperial City and often referred to as the centre of the Empire.

He never flinched from doing his divine duty but Akatosh had shown him his fate. His time and place of death and to a lesser man, it would be a burden, to the Dragonborn, it was a blessing. He had ruled the empire for 87 years and was growing weary in his old age. The days seemed to get longer and longer. His sons were not ready to take the Throne and he had been guided by the gods for his entire life. They showed him that he must remain on the throne and now, it was his time to die. He sighed as he overlooked the imperial city. The Nine guided the lives of everyone and he could not doubt their judgement. His final hour was shown and he was blessed.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Pull the string back as far as you can but keep a hold of the arrow.” Molnaridil loved his daughter with all of his heart and was retired from serving in the Summerset Isle legion. He had been a scout for one hundred years and had met his beloved Risilu at the Crystal Tower. Both Altmers loved each other and their daughter of 25 elven years was born under the Atronach. It was a burden to most and resulted in magicka never being generated by their bodies. They had to find ways to regenerate it, usually via potions but they did have the benefit of being able to absorb spells and the brightest minds in Tamriel all agreed that it was a 50% chance of spells being absorbed, which was then turned into magicka. It was common for Atronaches to enchant their clothes and armour with absorption. The Imperial Legion often covered the cost due to the value of a decent Battlemage.

His daughter loosed the arrow into the target and let out a glee of delight. “Good but don’t get cocky.” He reminded her. “But pa, I wouldn’t get cocky if they are dead!” The young altmer informed her father. “Remember what I told you?” He could tell his daughter was going to grow up to be an adventurer. He had caught her exploring the city of Alinor many times and had once followed him to the Crystal tower. She had her mother’s sense of curiosity and when she was old enough, he knew she would excel at her education. “Take out threats before they spot me. Use blade and bow to weaken them and follow up with magic.” The young Shaefinna replied. “Good but you are too slow with your bow.”

It was the 27th of Last Seed, the Year of Akatosh and Shaefinna woke from her dream. She sighed as the dark stone walls came into her view as her eyes opened and rubbed her face with both hands. “Of course, still here.” She uttered as she got up off the stone bed and walked to the cell’s door. It would achieve nothing but she liked to stretch her legs.

“Well, well, look at the fine Altmeri Maiden.” The Dunmer opposite her cell remarked as part of his daily routine of mocking her. The first day she spent in here, he had told her she was going to die after taunting her. “Good morning to you too, ass.” She smiled at him and knew it drove the man nuts. Winding her up seemed to be his favourite pastime and to receive a smile meant it wasn’t working.

“Smile all you want, HIGH elf. It won’t help you when they decide to execute you. Oh yes, I’ve heard the guards talking about you, they’re going to execute you soon.” He laughed afterwards. “and I’m going to die in here. Really, you need to think of something else. You’re going to die in here got old after the first day. Why not mock my inability to use magic properly or my hair? Or even hit on me? Just something else then dying would make both our day more interesting.” She retorted and yawned.

“Both of you shut up.” The guard remarked as he brought them stale bread and water to break their fast on. “Oh and Valen, you’re out tomorrow. Your sentence will be up then.” He informed the Dunmer. “About time.” The Dunmer shot a smug look at his neighbour as the guard left them.

“The master has given the go ahead.”
“Lord Dagon will rule supreme.”
“We won’t survive but neither will the Emperor.

The dark cave hid it’s dwellers well. A sea of crimson robes and hoods gathered around the main chamber. “It is vital that the Amulet is taken from Uriel’s cold bloody corpse. He will be travelling with his blades but the Master has put a lot of time into this plan. Do not mess it up or Dagon himself will tear you apart!”

The first Prince of Cyrodiil was felled by an arrow around 3 in the morning and it’s archer was killed before they could retreat. The second was murdered in his bed along with his lover and the chamber set ablaze. The third was the hardest to kill but the assassins overwhelmed his guards at the estate but word was sent to the Blades as predicted by the Master.

Renault had been serving the Blades for 2 decades and was stationed at the Imperial Palace. She was a personal friend of the Emperor and it was by his request that she was assigned to Blade Captain of the Palace. It was her duty to take action and take the lead in the case of any incidents and today, her duty was called. “Here’s the plan.” She told Glenroy and the newest recruit to the blades, a redguard called Baurus. She laid a map of the sewers on the table whilst the Emperor kept on staring at the red amulet around his chest. “We’ll use the secret escape route through the prison in cell number 433 of section 2. It is a straightforward trek to the sewers but it is vital to not take any chances. If we are ambushed, I want you to guard the Emperor, Baurus whilst me and Glenroy take care of them.” The redguard was recruited a year ago in Hammerfell after thwarting a plot to destabilize the region. He was just a lowly guard at the time and if it hadn’t been for him, Hammerfell could have fallen into chaos or so the report claimed. She didn’t think much of the recruit and would have preferred for one of the veterans from Cloud Ruler to be in his place but he had been sent here to learn the ins and out of being in the dragon’s guard. “Yes, ma’am.” The redguard was green but his training would be enough to protect their escort. “Glenroy, you’ll take the rear with the legion. I defer to you on how to use them if we are ambushed in the streets.” “Today is the day.” Uriel uttered. “Your majesty, we need to leave whilst there is darkness.” She informed him.

The journey was event free but she didn’t like this. It was too quiet and would be easy to lure them into a sense of false security. The legion was stationed outside the second cellblock and the Blades descended to level that contained 433. Each block was separated into 5 levels, each contained 500 cells and dark. 433 was in the top level and provided daylight to it’s inhabitants.

“Who goes there?” Renault shouted out as she spotted a figure in the distance. “Paradise awaits!” The figure yelled as they turned around. They charged at the entourage and Renault leapt into action. Her sword clashed against the stranger’s sword. “You won’t survive to see dawn!” He yelled as their swords clashed again before she punched him around the head. This threw him off balance and her katana ended his life. “Stay alert, they may be close.”

Shaefinna finished off breaking her fast and heard the door open. “Baurus, lock that door behind us!” A female voice commanded. “My sons...they're dead, aren't they?"A weary voice echoed down the stairs. “We don't know that, Sire. The messenger only said they were attacked” The female told the male’s voice. “No, they are dead. I know it.” The man replied. “My job now is to get you to safety.” The female replied and Shaefinna could tell it was to change the topic. “I know this place. The...Prison?” The man uttered with uncertainty. “What the?” Shaefinna muttered to herself.

“Yes, your Majesty. Beneath the Legion Compound. We're headed for a secret passage known only to the Blades. No one can follow us through here." She replied. “Majesty?” Shaefinna stood up from the wooden stall and walked to the cell door to see what was going on. Valen seemed to either be lost for words for once or even he didn’t dare to be himself at a time like this. The sources of the voices appeared a second later. There were three armoured people and an elderly Imperial in an elegant outfit. “What’s this prisoner doing here? This cell is supposed to be off limits” The one Shaefinna knew was in charge based on what she heard a few seconds ago. “Usual mix up with the watch. I’ll mention this in the report later.” The imperial answered “Never mind. It’s too late to alter the plan. You, prisoner, move away.” Shaefinna knew something was wrong. “Ok but what in the name of Akatosh is happening?” The elf didn’t get an answer. “Stand near the window and you won’t get hurt.” The imperial barked. She did as she was told. They entered the cell and the elderly man looked at her.

“You ... I've seen you... Let me see your face... You are the one from my dreams... Then the stars were right, and this is the day. Gods give me strength.” He told her after walking up to her. “Seen me? Drea… what’s going on?” Shaefinna inquired, baffled at what he had told her. “Assassins attacked my sons, and I'm next. My Blades are leading me out of the city along a secret escape route. By chance, the entrance to that escape route leads through your cell.” He informed her. “wait, Blades? Are you the Emperor?” She inquired. “I am indeed your ruler. Fate has shown me that you have a part to play and perhaps, that is why the gods may have placed you in this cell. What you have done is not what you will be remembered for, for we all have a part in what transpires today. You may follow me for a while but your destiny will ensure we meet up again before the end.” Uriel Septim VII told her. “Sire, we must go now.” The captain of the blades pressed a small brick and the wall slowly slide back. The bed descended into the ground. “Best not close this one in case there is no way to close it from this side. Prisoner, do not interfere in official business or we will be forced to take action.” She threatened the elf. “Wouldn’t dream of it” Shaefinna remarked as the blades and Uriel entered the passage. “Looks like this is your lucky day.” The redguard commented.

It was tempting to boast to the Dunmer but something told her it was best not to reveal her escape to the world. So, she slowly followed the group.

“Hold up.” The captain gestured as she withdrew her katana whilst surveying the dark stone chamber. “Who goes there?” She called out. “DIE UNBELIEVER!” A man in red and black armour seemed to come out of nowhere and was jumping from above. His sword was aimed downwards but before he could hit his mark, the Captain’s katana killed him in one fell swoop. “PROTECT THE EMPEROR!” She commanded as 10 more figures in black and red armour appeared. They rushed at the three blades and battle commenced. Uriel unsheathed his sword.

Ambush! This was where the [&@%!] would ambush them! The captain was right to be cautious and that prisoner seemed important to the Emperor. Glenroy wasted no time in dispatching an assassin and blocked the mace of another. “Dawn take you” The woman yelled at him as she struck at him again but his reflexes were quicker and his katana pierced her chest with one simple thrust. He spun around on the spot to catch the blade of another assassin that had sought to take him unaware. Both blades clashed and he was on the defensive. The man kept on striking him but Glenroy was a far superior fighter to him. He waited for the man to get overconfidence and he did. “Time to die know.” The man didn’t get time to gloat after having his heart stabbed and Baurus was holding his own well. The battle raged on for a few more minutes and many tried to kill him but Glenroy was a seasoned Blade and these assassins were ill prepared. Their tactics seems to rely on numbers and it would work if they hadn’t been on high alert. “Captain’s down!” Glenroy yelled as he viciously decapitated the head of the assassin who’s sword had impaled her. “Captain Renault?” Uriel inquired. Baurus informed him she was dead and Glenroy was thankful for that. He wasn’t good at telling people bad news and was primary a fighter.

The Blades that remained after the battle had ordered Shaefinna to stay put and after seeing the devastation that surrounded the floor of the chamber, she knew better then to test her luck. After they locked the door behind them, she knew her escape was cut short. She wasn’t even a criminal! Just arrested because she rejected the advances of a nobleman and found herself being hauled off to prison a few hours afterwards. That was two days ago. Now? She was surrounded by dead assassins, a fallen blade and seemingly important. “May the Nine guide your soul.” She uttered as she closed Captain Renault’s lifeless eyes and slowly took the sheath of the woman’s weapon from her corpse. She looked at one of the dead assassin’s and searched his robes for any signs of who was behind it. “Nothing.” She uttered as she heard something collapse. The sound of a rat scuttling towards her filled her ears and she let out a squawk as it jumped at her. The blade pierced it’s torso and almost resulted in it slipping from her hands. The creature was killed but it’s companion had spotted her and attempted to bite her. It received a fireball for it’s trouble and Shaefinna investigated the source of the wall. “Huh?” She remarked in disbelief. “Ok, if I’m to play a part, this makes sense. Or just dumb luck but makes sense either way.” She mused as she crouched down and entered the pitch black area. She casted a basic light spell and filled the surrounding area with green light. Another rat tried to eat her but without the element of surprise, it did not trouble her. The katana impaled it’s head.

“Bloody rats.”

This was merely the start of Shaefinna’s destiny. Little did she know that rats would be the least of her troubles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:51 pm 

Ah, yeah, about this. Been quite a while and since it is kinda based on my character in Oblivion and I've not played it for quite some time, work on the next entry hasn't occured. I just realised doing what i usually did a few years back isn't a good idea. So I will consider either continuing Shaefinna's tale or just go to Skyrim with a fanfiction only character and try to do at least 3 tales per month.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:29 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: III, IV, V
Platform: XB1
UESPoints: 10
The SheoDovah wrote:
Destiny’s Prologue
That is a huge improvement on the first story.

Personally I like the 'different points of view' style - I think it works well in situations like this.

Also having an introduction for Renault and the bit about Glenroy not wanting to pass on news of a death is a nice touch - helps make the two of them a bit more than just plot cannon-fodder.

btw you are still doing the its/it's thing wrong.
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises/grammar/grammar_tutorial/page_13.htm

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:40 pm 

Bugger with a giant dash of bugger. Completely forgot to update it.

Kinda lost all interest in Oblivion but I know why. I made the mistake of tying it into the game thus making it fairly dependent on it. However, since i've stopped Oblivion, I may write more in the new year.

I did read some fanfiction and nicked that style from some but I find it to be more useful. It helps to establish it and helps add more to underdeveloped characters. The battle of Kvatch(if i do return to this), I will do on a better scale then it is in the game.