UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC

Who's chalice should win?
Poll ended at Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:17 pm
Deandra 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
The SheoDovah 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
all_freed 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Competition Of The Month- December Chalice Edition!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:25 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Morrowind
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 7
Welcome one and all to the Competition of the Month!

These monthly competitions are a chance for you to demonstrate your creativity and talents while getting a chance to know your fellow members and have a little fun. Each month is going to have a different theme and a different talent – and maybe a surprise or two! But only one member can wear the purple coins and fancy title of CotM Winner! Do you have what it takes?

The basic rules are as follows:
Spoiler:
» Members can contribute pieces based on the talent (writing, art, screenshots, etc.) and theme during the submission period, after which no further entries will be accepted. Then we will vote via a poll to see who gets to wear that month’s winner’s badge!

» If you are posting artwork, please post a link from an off-forum website such as Photobucket; if you are posting a written piece, please hide it under a spoiler when creating a new post. This is to ensure that posts are not too long and the thread appears orderly for everyone. If you are unsure how to do either of these, don’t be afraid to ask!

» Be respectful and polite about your fellow members’ work. Anyone who says anything rude about another’s work will be hearing from a member of the Mod Squad and may not be allowed to participate in the next competition. There is no such thing as “good” or “bad,” and everyone has a unique way of demonstrating his or her talents. Enjoy the variety!

» All members are welcome to join, including moderators. Don’t forget that we’re members, too!

»UESPOINTS!
UESPoints (UP) are a chance for all you lovely UESP users to earn reward points for your achievements and for participating around the forums. The CotM is now awarding UESPoints as a prize, in addition to the usual 1st place prize of the purple coins.
Here's how it will work: When the voting period is over, UESPoints will be awarded based on what position you came in.

1st Place - 3 UESPoints + Purple Coins
2nd Place- 2 UESPoints
3rd Place - 1 UESPoint

2nd and 3rd place have to have at least two votes to qualify for UESPoints.

Remember that only one entry is allowed per contestant. However, you may share your other ideas or entries after the thread has been moved to the Arts section of the forums at the end of the competition.

Ah, December. The most festive month of the year, am I right? Holiday parties, eggnog, tiny peppermints, yummy food...etc.

Your challenge this month is to design a medieval style chalice, tankard, or horn vessel. Also include what material it's made from (like a leather vessel, for example). For bonus UESPoints, please pair your design with a drink like mead or wine from the TES universe. Your design can be a drawing or created in whatever form works for you. Happy Holidays!

Our schedule for the December event is as follows:
[DATE RANGE]: December 7 - 27: Competition begins! Start planning and send in those submissions!
[DATE RANGE]: December 28-31: Voting period – vote for your favorites!
[DATE]: January 1: Our winner is announced!
Please note that all times are determined by me, Dohva, and therefore will run according to Alaska Standard Time. (Click here if you’re unsure when, exactly, that is!)

Remember that the CotM is not possible without you, so please participate, contribute, discuss, and vote!

As an aside, if anyone would like to join the street team to help plan and set up the CotM, please send me a PM Until then, have fun and good luck!

(This fun event is hosted by yours truly. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them within this thread or by sending me a PM by selecting the appropriate button below my signature. Have some suggestions on what you'd like to see? Head over to the ideas thread and join in on the discussion!)

Post subject: Re: Competition Of The Month- December Chalice Edition!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:44 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
UESPoints: 6
Aldmeri Dominion Potion-Wine Goblet

This goblet is designed as a stylish way to consume fine Alinor wines infused with alchemical reagents. The turquoise inlay and cabochons protect the drinker from poisonous effects. Magic script increases the positive alchemical effects. The Eagle is inspired by Aldmeri Dominion wall art.

Spoiler:
Drawn with pencil and colored pencil.

Materials: Gold and Turquoise.

My Skyrim mods:
Saturalia * Babette's Feast * Additional Amulets * Noble Female Clothes

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:13 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Deandra, it's lovely. Nice work. :)

Keep those entries coming, folks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:13 am 
Lord of the Shivering Isles

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Dovahkiin's Drink.
Hidden:
Like all nords worth their beards, you own a fancy goblet through bloody and hard, honourable work but when you're the Dovahkiin and the last in the line of Akatosh's servants, you are above such petty goblets. You are capable of shouting people to death, you eat the souls of Dovahs for breakfast and you are unstoppable so what do you need to quench that thirst? Well, you have left a lot of dragon bones all over the land and whilst some may use the head of their enemies as a chalice, you use the head of a dragon as your weapons rack, your arrow storage and the left over parts are used to create Dovahkiin's goblet.

Unlike making the armour out of the Dovah's, you need not put aside a month to fight the very bones with constant heat. You can use the Thu'um and use your fire breath for several hours to help mold it. Now, it may seem like a joke but the reason why it takes you months to create dragon armour is because you are bending their bones to your will. The goblet needs just enough heat for it to bend and serve as the skeleton of the goblet. You will need the finest steel to act as the basin lest the sheer weight collapse the goblet itself. For a bigger goblet, more bones and a longer exposure to the Voice is required. You need to use the Thu'um to melt the steel into the goblet and fuse them together. Once you have done that, your basic goblet is complete. Now, what to decorate it with? Gems, fur, the head of your enemies? It is up to you but this goblet is sturdy and will last just as long as the dovahs have. It has the unique ability to keep one's mead cold and delays it going old by a few weeks. Whether it is the last remains of the dovah at work or the nature of their bones, it is a mystery but your goblet is the talk of Skyrim and the envy of all!*

*Aldmeri Dominion may be exempt from the envy. You may find yourself being purged for voicing anything positive towards a dragonborn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:58 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3
UESPoints: 2
I like the other submissions a lot!

Mara's Kiss
Spoiler:
Materials: gold (cup), Gildergreen twigs (stem and base)
Properties and usage: Mainly used in the union of two souls in the eyes of Mara, the power of this chalice purifies anything poured into it.
Special drink: During matrimony a special drink is concocted from the tears of each betrothed, then it is mixed in the basin before Mara's altar. Then cup is dipped into the basin for the betrothed to drink. No one can explain how salty tears turn into sweet ambrosia.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:44 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO
UESPoints: 0
The SheoDovah wrote:
[...] a longer exposure to the Voice is required [...]

Yol Toor Shuuuuuuuuu...

...uuu...

...uuuuuul!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:17 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ES Games: oblivion, skyrim
Platform: xbox 360/one
UESPoints: 14
Poll is up. Vote for your favourite!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:54 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ES Games: oblivion, skyrim
Platform: xbox 360/one
UESPoints: 14
Well done, Deandra!
Your chalice is lovely! I found it really difficult to pick who to vote for this month.
I really like the intertwined people detail on yours, all_freed, it's very original and ornate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:56 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thanks Aarah, yea it was fun. And of course thanks to those that hosted the comp, thank you to those that participated (it's not a competition if there are any competittors), and thank you very much to those that voted because the poll wouldn't work if there are no votes (Yahoo!!!! i got 2 votes! it means a lot to me guys).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:06 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Congratulations to Deandra for winning December's COTM! It's a lovely drawing. :)

Thank you to Dov and all_freed for participating. Happy New Year's!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:22 pm 

ES Games: Oblivion:GOTY, Skyrim:Legendary edition
Platform: PS3.
UESPoints: 12
Congrats Dean!

P.S. keep those coins warm as i'm coming for them! Again.

I will admit, i did think i wouldn't be included in the votes due to my misunderstanding of it and well, having no software apart from Paint that gives me something to draw. Gimp, i should look into it to see if my laptop likes it or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:35 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
UESPoints: 6
Yay! Thanks :D

Sheo, you may not have had a good drawing program, but your story was pretty epic :P

My Skyrim mods:
Saturalia * Babette's Feast * Additional Amulets * Noble Female Clothes

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:27 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

The SheoDovah wrote:
Congrats Dean!

P.S. keep those coins warm as i'm coming for them! Again.

I will admit, i did think i wouldn't be included in the votes due to my misunderstanding of it and well, having no software apart from Paint that gives me something to draw. Gimp, i should look into it to see if my laptop likes it or not.

I just used a pencil and paper and then took a picture of it with my phone, that's what i ido with most of my drawings so far. You can too!