UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC

Who won the Competition of the Month?
Poll ended at Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:28 pm
all_freed 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
EpicAbrad 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Competition of the Month - September Event of Fun & Flowers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:33 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO All DLC
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: AKB (Doppelgänger)
UESPoints: 4985
Hello user. This is a Competition of the Month. Flipping fantastic.

These monthly competitions are a chance for you to demonstrate your creativity and talents while getting a chance to know your fellow members and have a little fun. Ideally! Each month is going to have a different theme and a different talent – and maybe a surprise or two! If a surprise can also be no surprises, then absolutely! But only one member can wear the purple coins and fancy title of CotM Winner AND INSERT BONUS PRIZE HERE! Unless there is a tie, then that previous sentence was false! Do you have what it takes? Specifically, the simple acknowledgement of my existence that is all I truly crave?

The basic rules are as follows:
Hidden:
» Members can contribute pieces based on the talent (writing, art, screenshots, etc.) and theme during the submission period, after which no further entries will be accepted. Then we will vote via a poll to see who gets to wear that month’s winner’s badge!

» If you are posting artwork, please post a link from an off-forum website such as Photobucket; if you are posting a written piece, please hide it under a hidden tag when creating a new post. This is to ensure that posts are not too long and the thread appears orderly for everyone. If you are unsure how to do either of these, don’t be afraid to ask! Hint: you type
Code:
[hide]Your thing here![/hide]

» Be respectful and polite about your fellow members’ work. Unless it is mine and is clearly terrible, in which case feel free to send me several private messages telling me so. Anyone who says anything rude about another’s work will be hearing from a member of the Mod Squad and may not be allowed to participate in the next competition. There is no such thing as “good” or “bad,” and everyone has a unique way of demonstrating his or her talents. Enjoy the variety! Unless you don't like it, then complain about it! But actually don't!

» All members are welcome to join, and that includes moderators. Don’t forget that we’re members, too! Very similar to that elephant memory thing, but somehow different.

This month: You decided what the contest would be!

Thanks to the amazing success of my outsourcing scheme from last month, we have loads of ideas for the foreseeable future! The winner last month was DarkEastwood, who provided us with an idea to take an NPC from one of the games, and create a back story about their life before we met them. To qualify, your back story should not be contradictory to any known information, and ideally should use whatever information that is out there to create an interesting origin story for your subject.

Our schedule for the event of this month (not sure which one that is completely!) is as follows:
September 8: Competition begins! Start planning and send in those submissions!
September 22-29: Voting period – vote for your favorites! I swear the vote shall not be rigged! Really! I rigged it last time I ran it, but that was purely by mistake and shall not happen again!
September 30: Our winner is announced!
Please note that all times are determined by me, AKB, and therefore will run according to what time I say it is. This might be largely arbitrary!)

Remember that the CotM is not possible without you, so please participate, contribute, discuss, and vote!

(This fun event is hosted by AKB. If you have any questions, feel free to ask AKB within this thread or by sending AKB a PM or email by selecting the appropriate button below AKB's signature.

PARTICPANTS
all_freed
EpicAbrad

From the desk of AKB -- dictated but not read

Thought for the day:

Success teaches us nothing; only failure teaches.

Post subject: Re: Competition of the Month - September Event of Fun & Flow
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:18 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
UESPoints: 14
What's this? Me, in a CotM thread? You better believe it. I read this month's topic, and knew I had to get in before someone else took my idea, because someone inevitably would have. It is the most obvious choice, after all...
Okay, here we go:
The Adoring Fan

Once upon a time, in the land of Cyrodiil, a young Bosmer was born. He was raised on the mean streets of the Imperial City, as his parents tried to teach him what it meant to survive in the rough world of Tamriel. Unfortunately, they could not have known that their child happened to be slightly touched by Sheogorath, just enough to give him a tendency to become obsessive. In fact, make that very obsessive. For instance: the first time he ever saw a torchbug, he captured it in a glass jar, placed it on a table in his home, and constructed a shrine around it. Quite simply, it seemed to him that it was the most wonderful, magical creature in the world, and it demanded his fervent worship. Eventually, some time after his family had grown tired of his antics and kicked him out of the house, he took a liking to watching fights in the Arena. As he was a bit of a coward himself, nothing awed him as much as watching bold men and women battle to the death with nothing but their weapons and wits. This was his hobby for a while, and he grew quite settled into his new solo life in the City.

But then it happened. One day, as he settled into his seat (particularly the edge of it) to spectate the day's events, he saw the one. The one he knew would beat them all. It was love at first sight. But would it be in vain? For the Gray Prince, the relentless Grand Champion of the Arena, stood in the way of our Wood Elf's true love. Dared he hope that the fearless half-Orc would be upset in the fight? He could only pray it would be so. Then the fight began, and sure enough, at the end of the day a new Grand Champion had been decided. As the object of his affections headed back through the Bloodworks to exit the Arena, our infatuated Bosmer knew it was now or never for him to strike. He rushed outside the Arena and stood waiting outside the doors. His heart began to pump as they opened. A figure stepped through... and - by Azura! - there appeared the glorious Grand Champion, larger than life, greater than anything else in the universe that the starstruck Bosmer could imagine. He couldn't contain himself any more. He approached the Champion, began to speak...

And the rest is history.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:52 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC, PS3
UESPoints: 2
Irileth meeting Balgruuf

Hidden:
Balgruuf saw her many times when he was sneaking around Whiterun.

The Dunmer are a hardy and proud people, but she stood out above the rest not because she tried to, but because of her bearing. He remembered how she stood up without hesitation and calmly walked up to three inebriated Nords as they tried to force a Nord wench outside the tavern. Most people, even Nords and Dark Eleves, would've glanced furtively before returning to their quiet conversations or ignored the situation entirely. The Jarl's son recalled her name was Irelith. At least that's what the three Nords called her after she drove them off without drawing her sword or taking a scratch. Her voice, especially, was more distinct and memorable than her crimson eyes. "Leave and never come back," she told them before receding back to her seat in the shadows.

But tonight, the three Nords were now eight, and they converged on her like a pack of wolves. Irelith was far enough from the gates of Whiterun that if she called for help, it wouldn't come. They formed a half-circle as she stood her ground a few meters from a large boulder. But still, she remained calm and drew her sword. Before the gang of Nords could react, Bulgruff threw off his cloak then drew his own sword. He used its pommel to knock out one of the wolves and joined the Dunmer by her side. Keeping his eyes on their enraged assailants, Balgruff swore, "I would be less than a man if I stood idly by."

The duo were more than a match for rowdy Nords. Inflicting superficial wounds that wouldn't faze a true warrior, they were soon alone under the pale moon. "Well, now I see you didn't need my help. I presume your name is Irelith. You fight well. If my eyes were not fooled, I think I saw you wield a bit of magic as well."

"You're not so bad yourself, future Jarl of Whiterun." Balgruffs eyes widened when she revealed his identity. "Oh, don't look so surprised. Those men may not have recognized the crest on your band, but you can't fool everyone. I thank you for your aid."

He relaxed, then started walking back to Whiterun. "It appears my 'secret' is safe. But just to be sure, can I buy you a drink?"

"The Bannered Mare or the Drunken Huntsman?" grinned Irelith.

Balgruff stared incredulously, "Does it matter?"

"The Bannered Mare has larger tankards."

Hope this counts, if not just go ahead and delete.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:16 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

You did fine all_freed! I enjoyed it immensely. EpicAbrad, thank you for reminding me that character existed. I shall now forget he existed again.

I'm going to try this with one of the most tragic tales in the game, Muiri's. I very rarely write freely, so please tell me what you all think! When it's done, that is.

Thought for the day:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:34 pm 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V
Platform: Xbox 360
UESPoints: 0
I wrote a story, but I think it stretched the lore in too many places too much. I'll write another, hopefully postworthy this time :D

Hidden:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:53 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Morrowind
UESPoints: 7
AKB, what's the word count for this competition? I don't see one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:03 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

There isn't one.

Thought for the day:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:28 pm 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

Poll up, let's see who wins!

Thought for the day:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:58 am 
Global Wiki Admin
Global Wiki Admin

all_freed won the purple coins, congratulations.

Thought for the day:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:31 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thank you all for this event. It couldn't have happened without all of you. So thanks for participating, everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:09 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Thank you to the 1 person who voted for me, whoever you are! :P

Also, I think you can update your signature now, all_freed!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:58 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

UESPoints: 6
Congratulations, all-freed!
EpicAbrad wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:49 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well thx u very much m8 <4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:49 am 
Journeyman
Journeyman

EpicAbrad wrote:

Also, I think you can update your signature now, all_freed!

Oh yeah, sorry about that. :p
Done!