UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Competition of the Month - January
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:01 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 5
Welcome one and all to the Competition of the Month!

These monthly competitions are a chance for you to demonstrate your creativity and talents while getting a chance to know your fellow members and have a little fun. Each month is going to have a different theme and a different talent – and maybe a surprise or two!

The basic rules are as follows:
Spoiler:
» Members can contribute pieces based on the talent (writing, art, screenshots, etc.) and theme during the submission period, after which no further entries will be accepted. Then we will vote via a poll to see who gets to wear that month’s winner’s badge!

» If you are posting artwork, please post a link from an off-forum website such as Photobucket; if you are posting a written piece, please hide it under a spoiler when creating a new post. This is to ensure that posts are not too long and the thread appears orderly for everyone. If you are unsure how to do either of these, don’t be afraid to ask!

» Be respectful and polite about your fellow members’ work. Anyone who says anything rude about another’s work will be hearing from a member of the Mod Squad and may not be allowed to participate in the next competition. There is no such thing as “good” or “bad,” and everyone has a unique way of demonstrating his or her talents. Enjoy the variety!

» All members are welcome to join, including moderators. Don’t forget that we’re members, too!

To start off the new year, this month’s CotM is a theme inspired by one of our members: Postcards from Tamriel. We’ve been Heroes in High Rock and Morrowind, Cyrodiil and Skyrim, and we all have tales to tell. Your job is to create a postcard that best captures what you love about the world of The Elder Scrolls. It can be a screenshot, a collage, a piece of original artwork for our artists, or the back of the postcard (that is, it’s message) for our writers, so long as it’s original and created by you! (Note: Does not necessarily extend toward screenshots for our console players. Just be smart: i.e., if you are using a fellow member's screenshot, please credit them/ask permission!)

As an extra surprise, and to celebrate our winners going forward, I am proud to announce that we will now be offering prizes to the winner of the CotM! The idea came from the UESP’s site founder Daveh himself and has been approved by the moderator team. This month our winner will receive a gift certificate to Amazon.com to spend as they choose, so don’t be too shy to participate!

Our schedule for the January event is as follows:
January 1 – January 26: Competition begins! Start planning and send in those submissions!
January 27 – January 30: Voting period – vote for your favorites!
January 31: Our winner is announced!
Please note that all times are determined by me, Avron the S’wit, and therefore will run according to GMT -5/Eastern Standard Time. (Click here if you’re unsure when, exactly, that is!)

Remember that the CotM is not possible without you, so please participate, contribute, discuss, and vote! :D

Member Entries:
Sloady - Postcard from Skyrim
Savilius - Postcard from Skyrim
The-Shadow-One - Postcard from Skyrim
Knight Captain Kerr - Postcard from Oblivion
FrostMage79x - Postcard from Skyrim
Deandra - Postcard from Skyrim
Gideon Dragontongue - Postcard from Skyrim
Arch-Mage Matt - Postcard from Skyrim
addictedtomorrowind - Postcard from Morrowind
Mental Mayhem - Postcard from Skyrim
TristanAL - Postcard from Skyrim
Leonidas.wookiee - Postcard from Skyrim
JVElEven - Postcard from Skyrim
Isildor - Postcard from Skyrim
Sakhiya - Postcard from Arena
TiberSeptimsGrandma - Postcard from Skyrim
perpe14 - Postcard from Skyrim
Christoph - Postcard from Skyrim

(This fun event is hosted by yours truly. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them within this thread or by sending me a PM by selecting the appropriate button below my signature. Have some suggestions on what you'd like to see? Head over to the ideas thread and join in on the discussion!)

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

Last edited by Avron the S'wit on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Updated!

Post subject: Re: Competition of the Month - January
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:06 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
Question Mother Avron, would a postcard, as in an image/screenie, and a message be allowed as one entry?

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:08 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I would say to choose one or the other. If I can coax enough artists to join and we have an even split, I may elect to have two winners: one for the arts, and one for writing. But we shall see how it goes! :D

Edit: Changed my mind. Do as you please!

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:17 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, (PC), Oblivion, Skyrim (360)
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: GT: The Frosty Mage, Steam: Frost Mage, Skype: frostmage79x
UESPoints: 0
Does the screenshot in question have to be yours also? I'm on Xbox so that's virtually impossible for me :lol: .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:19 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hmmm, good point... Well, no, I suppose that for console users that would be impossible, wouldn't it? Screenshots are technically not "owned," and since no one is really laying claim to them, it ought to be good. If it's a screenshot someone took for a story or something, just remember your source.

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:22 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Okay, that should work. Even so, I'll try to be original and go for Bethy's pre-release screenshots before I go looking for user-made ones. Anyway, we better stop posting and let the real competition begin! If i have any more questions I'll just PM you, mmm'kay?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:24 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Sure! And you can always use the thread as well.

To clarify, the "originality" clause was really for artwork and writing...I'm going to consider screenshots safe territory for console users. PC users are more than welcome to take their own though! :)

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:25 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion with all add ons, Skyrim SE
Platform: Xbox 360
Other Profiles: Xbox Live: FR Avenged Steam: Sav
Awesome. I too, will have to borrow screenshots...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:37 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Morrowind (not really), Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: Too many to list here.
This can be from any game, right?

Spoiler:
The Muddy Swampert of the Poké-Squad.
The Smart Guy of the Troper Team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:38 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Absolutely - Arena to Redguard to Skyrim, and everything in between!

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:45 am 
Warder
Warder

ES Games: Daggerfall, Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Skyrim

image found here

Dear Mother and Papa,

I write to you from the top of the Throat of the World - the highest mountain in Skyrim. What began as a business venture has turned all so surreal - first being kidnapped by Imperial Forces, then attacked by a dragon... no doubt, you must have heard of their return, even back home in High Rock.

I miss you all dearly. I have not spent so long away from home since that trip to the Summerset Isles I made so long ago. I cannot remember who cried more - me, mother, or father after he found out how much debt I was in from those Redguard swindlers. I miss Daggerfall, and the roads I knew like the back of my hand. I miss the dew on the grass in the morning, and the sounds of the forest as our caravans travelled from city to city. I remember it like it was yesterday. I miss everything about home... except for your cooking mother!

I do not wish to worry you, so I will not tell you of what I have experienced in these frozen wastes. Only know that Skyrim has embraced me as one of her own - with a warm fire, and a flagon of mead. For reasons I shouldn't disclose, I cannot return home. Just know that I am safe, and that I will make you all proud.

One last thing... it is with a sad heart I ask you to tell Helena I cannot marry her. It would be cruel to lead her on, when I do not know when or if I will ever return. Just let her know that I truly loved her.

Your loving son,
Montierre

Founding member of the Weasel Forums Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:09 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Morrowind, Oblivion with all add ons, Skyrim SE
Platform: Xbox 360
Other Profiles: Xbox Live: FR Avenged Steam: Sav
I shall try this for once, it sounds like fun!
This
I found the picture in Pre-release content on this site, under Skyrim.
I hope my writing isn't too bad! :P
Also, i really like your postcard, Sloady.

Entry:
Spoiler:
Dear Mother and Father,
I apologize for not writing to you earlier. My experiences around Skyrim have been amazing, but somewhat shocking. Remember how i decided to travel through the pass over by Bruma? Well, it turns out that because of a civil war, the borders seem to be closed. I sadly, was captured. I met a man named Ralof while in a wagon bound for a town i think was named Helgen. When we reached, a dragon attacked. Can you believe it? A dragon! And we thought the legends were false. Anyways, as i was about to be executed, it attacked, and Ralof accompanied me through the keep, allowing us both to escape. On the way, he mentioned to me about the war between the Legion and the Stormcloaks. I do not know if i should get involved, as Skyrim's safety seems to be at stake. I purchased a house in a city named "Whiterun". But this is where the bad news comes in, i am afraid. Another dragon had attacked a nearby watchtower, and when i had killed it, i absorbed it's soul. A while later i found myself climbing the 7,000 steps to High Hrothgar, where i learned i am the last of the "Dovahkiin", or "Dragonborn"! I have the soul of a dragon, and can use their powers to aid myself. Also, before i finish this, i met a lovely girl named Ysolda, who plans on making money off Khajiit caravans, and then purchasing a nearby inn. But even better, she seems to also like me. I miss being at home back on Cyrodiil, but from the looks of things, will not be returning soon. Oh so i miss Cyrodiil, specifically The Great Forest. Haha, i miss hunting in those forests. Remember when Matthias confused that farmer for a man, and nearly killed him? Or the time i accidently fell off the docks in Anvil? Ah, i miss those times. Tell Matthias not to get into too much trouble while i'm gone. Oh, and the Horkers here are vicious! I found myself being attacked by a pack of them a while ago. Anyways, i must go, as my housecarl is pestering me to hurry up, we have a busy day tomorrow. I hope to hear from you more soon.
Love,
Your son, Ormis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:14 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PS3
UESPoints: 2
Spoiler:
Dear Mother,
I am writing to you from markarth, the city in the reach. It is very lovely but hard. when i first entered markarth, the forsworn (a group of "terrorists") had one man kill a women, In the market.

loving and missing you,
your faithful daughter, Tireace

Hey, are you into roleplay?! Click here to join our awesome subforum!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:03 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Wow, two days in and three great entries! You guys sure are lovin' Skyrim! :wink:

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm 
CotM Winner!
CotM Winner!

ES Games: I, II, III, IV, V. Once I caught a fish alive.
Platform: PC & Playstation
UESPoints: 20
Right here is my one.
Spoiler:
Wish you were here!

Dear Grand Champion,
Wow, you are the best. I'm sorry that this postcard took so long, I have just escaped from a rusty torture cage where I was held for the past 17 years. I am glad you trusted me enough to remain in the Deadlands to defend Tamriel from the vile Lord Dagon. I have heard you have traveled to another realm of oblivion, I'm sure you are defending Tamriel from dangers in that realm too. I have given this note to a Scamp in exchange for my clothes so I am not sure when you will get this postcard. Anyway I have to run, I think they have just noticed my daring escape.
Please reply soon,
Your biggest fan.

PS: If you could send some clothes and maybe a sword with your reply I would be most grateful.

Last edited by Kerr on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:19 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I love that one. Hooray, I love the Adoring Fan! :mrgreen:

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:29 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Spoiler:

Dear Vinion,
As you know, I have been planning the sabotage of Solitude for some time now. My plan was simple: simply dismantle society bit, by bit. However, it has come to my attention that the townsfolk have taken a disliking towards me, and I am hurriedly beginning to get paranoid. I have been checked by guards for no reason whatsoever on numerous occasions. I think they might be on to me.

In fact, just the other night I heard the click of boots and the murmuring of a restless soul just outside my door. Needless to say, I was petrified, and quickly made sure to lock all doors, and go to the upper floor of my residence. There, there was a window that overlooked all of the town, but for what was important right now was right in front of me as I gazed out into the night. A man, in a black hood and brown robe appeared at my door, but did not do anything. Instead, he slipped a paper note under my door. Distraught as I was, I decided to go to bed and reserve such worries for the morning, after a good night's sleep

The next morning I awoke to a nock at the door. It was the head of the guards, come to ask me if I knew anything about the man that had come to my door the night before. I lied, and told him I knew nothing of it, and to report to me if anything of the like every happened again. As soon as he left, I let out a sigh of relief, and picked up the letter off of the ground. I slowly opened it, and saw it to be a letter of fine Dwemer quality, and even handwriting. It read:

"We understand your quest for authority in this town, and it disturbs us. This town belongs to us, not you. Make any further acts and we will make sure that you will be taken care of. Do not alert the authorities, as they are on our side, and will most likely question you of your knowledge on this matter. I will be back tomorrow night at precisely one o'clock, and I expect you by that time to have left the city. This is our territory, and we need no help. This city will be thrown to the dogs, and you have nothing to say about it."

I stood there, stunned and quite frightened. I wondered who this person was, what he wanted, and how he knew what I was doing in town. Not wanting any trouble, I left town, but not before the head of the guard stopped me just as I was leaving. He pressed me on if I knew anything about the Jarl's private room key. I declined, this time without thought, and he gave me a glance. "Anymore news on the man dressed in black?" I asked him, inquisitively. He said he hadn't, but he disclosed to me what was going on with the Jarl's keys. He told me that a few nights ago a man appeared at the front of the palace, wondering where the entrance to the sewers were located. "I couldn't make sense of his question, so I simply told him where it was, and he moved along." That next morning, the guard said, the keys to the Jarl's private quarters were gone. "In absolute fear for the Jarl, I alerted the entire guard, but mentioned nothing of it to the Jarl himself, as it would have caused uncalled for worrying, no doubt."

I wondered if this man he was talking about had anything to do with the man that had slipped the note under my door just the other night. I said goodbye to him, and walked off hurriedly to the stables where my horse was being held. I rode into the cloudless night. Just before the city went out of my site behind the mountains that surround the city, I noticed a few lights going up, towards the top of the tower, where the Jarl's private quarters were. As the lights got higher, they began to fade, and eventually went out completely. Just at that moment, I heard a blood-curling scream, that seemed to come from the tower. I gazed solemnly back, knowing just what had happened, and knowing that I couldn't have done anything about it. I am writing from a small town west of Cheydinhal, in Cyrodiil. Might I be able to stay with you for a while? I am scared out of my wits, and I have the feeling that they are following me, whoever "they" may be. Please, I beg of you to give shelter to an old friend. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Marlathal

Hope this one isn't too long :oops: .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Skyrim, Oblivion
UESPoints: 6
Here is my post card!

Spoiler:

Post card text for those who can't read the handwriting:
Mother Dearest,
I must say I am rather disappointed in my apprenticeship to Master Beirand. He may be your brother-in-law, but he's nearly as much a brute as these Nords are. Every other day, the city is attacked either by dragons or Stormcloaks, and yet the town guards whine incessantly that they aren't being raided by bandits, also! There isn't a warm bath to be had in the entire city, and there is little worse than a city of mead-swilling barbarians who never wash their fur clothes.

Yours Truly,
Merilia

Credit: I took the screenshot in-game myself, and I Photoshopped the reverse.

My Skyrim mods:
Saturalia * Babette's Feast * Additional Amulets * Noble Female Clothes

My Oblivion mods:
Full listing is here

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:09 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
That is incredible Deandra! Puts my little stamp and postcard to shame, lucky I have a bit longer to work on it :mrgreen: Entries close on my birthday incidentally.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:55 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Those are awesome entries, FrostMage and Deandra! And I do love the stamp, too - it's a nice touch! Very creative! :wink:

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:09 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Here's my entry.
Spoiler:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:SR-place-college.jpg

Dear Pa,
I’m writing to say hello and also to wish you a happy summoning of Molag Bal. It gets awful cold up here, and we’re liable not to see the sun for days on end. School’s real hard, but I’m getting good grades. I found this magical orb the size of our shack and killed this ancient undead wizard on a field trip last week. Then I learned the Transmutate Ore spell while I was following these ghosts in a big stone maze. My classmates don’t seem to like me very much---a boy named J’Zargo tried to blow me up, and an elf named Brelyna turned me green. Mr. Tolfdir’s a swell teacher, but he gets awful addled on occasion. He’s always misplacing things, but at least he pays me after I find them for him.
Your loving son,
Cornelius

Last edited by Gideon Dragontongue on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:24 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Wonderful entry, Dragontongue. I love to see new members participate!

So, safe to say the couriers will have lots of things from Skyrim, eh? 8)

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

I feel ashamed for making another Skyrim entry :lol: . Thing is, Skyrim is so much more immersive than other TES games, so it's easier to make one from Skyrim.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:37 am 
Master
Master

ES Games: Oblivion, Morrowind, Daggerfall
Platform: PC, Xbox
This is my entry, different from what I PM'd Ron.

Picture:
Spoiler:
Story:
Spoiler:
Dear Cedric,

Hey brother! You wouldn’t believe what I got into while in Skyrim. Remember last time we saw each other? Ma’s house far north of Bruma? Well, ever since good old Ma sent me over the border to get some goat cheese, I got into some pretty crazy stuff.

Remember that evil rebel leader in Skyrim the local Imperial Forester was telling us about the other day? Well guess who was the first person I met while in Skyrim? That’s right. I saw him with his friends in a camp. They were pretty cool.

If that wasn’t cool enough, I met a really cool Imperial general (I think his name was Ticklebus?) and asked him if the rebel leader guy always hung out at the camp. He seemed really excited that I said that! I think they’re friends!

Well, the General let me tag along with the rebel leader guy to Helgen, a nice little town. Everyone was putting on a play and I got to take a part! I felt like I was really about to get my head chopped off! (Ha!)

Then bad things started happening. Hadvar (My friend) called it a dragon. I called it, well, ugly.

After I left Helgen behind, I kinda forgot about Ma’s goat cheese. Sorry. I went on a walk to Whiterun where I met this guard who talked about a war wound he had. I wondered why the Jarl guy would hire a crippled guard! And then (The strangest thing!) another guard told me that he had the same war wound. Or maybe it was the same, forgetful guard. I can’t tell with their helmets.

Well, to make a long story short, I inadvertently caused the death of some rich guy called Nazeem. Apparently, that was a frenzy potion the local alchemist gave me, and Nazeem’s wife was thirsty at the wrong time. A short jog later, I found myself in this big stone city called Windhelm.

After going on a bit of exploring in Windhelm, I wandered into this guy who had some woman’s underwear hanging out of his pocket. I said, “Hey guy, what’s your secret?” But he got really scared and attacked me. I just ran away and he slipped on some ice and cracked his head open. Poor guy. But suddenly I was invited to the castle and paraded around the city. Apparently, the poor guy who cracked his head open was called “The Butcher” and not a very nice man.

After the parades died down, I found this empty house, or what I thought was an empty house. I found this little kid called Aventus Arentino inside (Cute kid, really). He was a bit strange though; he was praying and asked me to “visit” someone named Grelod the Kind in Riften. She sounds nice!

I travelled to Riften via carriage and wandered into town. This big woman named Mjoll asked me to fetch a sword from a dungeon. She was pretty rude! In a city full of mercenaries and thieves willing to steal it, she asked me to do it for free.

Anyways, I found my way into the Honorhall Orphanage and talked to Grelod. She greeted me and told me to get to work. I think she thought I was a chef? Well, I went to making a soup for Grelod. I added venison and beef! It was supposed to be nice, but did you know that you need to cook meat before serving it?

Sadly, Grelod the Kind didn’t make it through the food poisoning. I left Riften in shame to share the sad news with Aventus. Sweet kid. He hid his sadness with cheerfulness to make me feel better.

Perhaps the weirdest part of the whole experience was being the unexpected guest at a ‘Whodunit’ party hosted by someone who called herself Astrid. She wanted me to kill someone, but I didn’t think any of the three inside did it. So, I broke down the door (This was a really realistic game) and looked for the killer outside. Astrid got mad and chased me and that’s when I realized she was the killer! Plot twist!

I ran from Astrid, laughing all the way, until I lost her. Then I got a letter from some group called “The Dark Brotherhood”. Things went downhill from there.

Oh yeah! I forgot why I wrote this letter! I just got so off track. To put it plainly… I’ll just say it… The Dark Brotherhood may be looking to kill my entire family. Get Ma and Pa out of the farm and off to Bruma or somewhere. Hide the cows too. Because I got the letter a week ago!

Best of luck,

Conan

Hi! I am a UESPF Moderator and you can PM me with any concerns you have, no matter how trivial. You can also use the report button - a feature that draws attention to a certain post and allows us to offer our own input.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:32 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

We have eight amazing entries so far, but there's still plenty of time to submit your own! Don't forget to compete for the prize of an Amazon.com gift card! Just think of what you could put it toward.

And because I want to shamelessly keep my own thread active, I shall give you a fun fact: I collect postcards in real life. I have quite a budding collection. But if you could have someone send you a postcard from anywhere in Tamriel, where would it be? I'd love one either from Cheydinhal or anywhere in the Ascadian Isles.

Find the S'wit:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next