UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Wars
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:34 pm 
Warder
Warder

UESPoints: 0
Reply? In-game?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:31 pm 
Master
Master

ES Games: Oblivion
Platform: X-box 360(post), PC
Nvm. server and faction.

Spoiler:
Made you look

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:33 pm 
Warder
Warder

Republic.
RP server Begeren Colony

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:02 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, (PC), Oblivion, Skyrim (360)
Platform: Xbox 360, PC
Other Profiles: GT: The Frosty Mage, Steam: Frost Mage, Skype: frostmage79x
May the 4th be with you.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:27 pm 
Guardian
Guardian

ES Games: Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: Xbox 360
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/04/30/st ... h-response

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:32 pm 
Warder
Warder

So i bought Battlefront 2 from Steam. It is eating my life... again.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Oblivion, Shivering Isles, Knights of the Nine, Skyrim
Platform: PC
Other Profiles: Steam: orthanq
EA just acquired the Star Wars license for the next coming years. On one hand, I think this is great because DICE, on the other hand, I think this sucks because... well, EA.

I wouldn't mind DICE developing Battlefront 3, though.

Article

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:25 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: I-V
Platform: PS3, PC
Dude this is choice. EA owns BioWare, and they know how to do Star Wars games. I may not believe in the Old Republic, but I'm not going to pretend that it is a bad game.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:22 pm 
Master
Master

bread speaks truth.
This just means If a starwars game comes out, it has more of a chance of being awesome.

Spoiler:
Made you look

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:49 pm 
Master
Master

And so, there was hope.

Spoiler:
Made you look

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:51 pm 
Warder
Warder

UESPoints: 1
I loved the older Star Wars books. Darth Bane and Shatterpoint stick out in my head.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 pm 
Warder
Warder

Death Troopers

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 pm 
Warder
Warder

UESPoints: 1
I loved that one too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:09 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition (PC), Oblivion Game of the Year edition
Platform: Playstation 3, PC
KotOR 2. Best piece of writing ever in Star Wars to even trump the Classics.

TOR. Prequel-worthy

High Lord of the Great House of Indoril and Lord of Almalexia

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:12 am 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Online
Platform: PC, PS3
Other Profiles: Steam: Behnjymyn, Origin: Behnjymyn
Death Troopers was fantastic. The moment the guy in the darkened cell says

Spoiler:
I'm Han Solo

I frickin' lost it. Awesome.

The Darth Bane trilogy is also an unmitigated favorite. That said, I'm working my way through Dawn of the Jedi and I find it rather boring.

See an inappropriate post or topic? Click the report button. [ ! ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 pm 
Master
Master

haven't read many of the books. Kind of lost interest with those.
And I didn't really like KOTOR 2, KOTOR was way better. especially the dark side story comparison.

Spoiler:
Made you look

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:21 pm 
Champion
Champion

ES Games: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition (PC), Oblivion Game of the Year edition
How was it better? Because KoTOR 2's dark side ending had a more subtle aspect than the Big-Evil Empire rolling over the Republic?

KotOR 2 was more subtle, dark, and explaintory of the force than KotOR 1, as well as more in depth. KotOR 1 was like New Hope. KotOR 2 was like Empire Strikes Back, if you listened to Kreia and began to think about what she says about life, the force, and ultimately Revan.

VVV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:46 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: I-V
Platform: PS3, PC
No, it's not like ESB. KotOR2 almost completely ignored pre-established OR lore, but that's unimportant. It was to also slashed to bits due to time constraints. Still, it didn't deserve what the OR MMO did to it, which was ignoring a lot of the character development in it. Meetra Surik in The Old Republic: Revan is not the Jedi Exile that I remember. BioWare wins in the end, but still, they didn't have to butcher an already butchered game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:06 pm 
Champion
Champion

Quote:
KotOR2 almost completely ignored pre-established OR lore,

Elaborate on that part. That Revan did fall, end of discussion? That the Jedi are all-good and absolutism to the Jedi code is dandy, while the senseless violence of the Sith is all-bad?

Literally, there was no pre-established OR-lore. Unless you mean 'light side canon ending' and the Republic is in utter ruins. To which - you forget a lot of things. Exar Kun. Mandalore the Ultimate. Revan. Three Wars, all very close to each other, and all three basically damaging the Jedi Order and the Republic. By the end of the Civil War/Revan's War - it'd be stupid and unrealistic to say the Jedi somehow managed to get out of that unscathed what-so-ever, and the Republic would have some serious issues to deal with. Not only did the Outer Rim Worlds still burn from the Mandalorian Wars, but Revan caused his own burning. But he managed to maintain the infastructure, yet still cause massive destruction. Malak..did not care to save it. Just blow up everything.

Quote:
It was to also slashed to bits due to time constraints.

Blame LucasArts and they're incessant whining, who can't craft a good story since Empire.

Hell, Obsidian wanted to release a DLC that basically restored all cut content. Lucasarts wouldn't budge. Thankfully, there is a mod that restores much of the cut content.

Quote:
Meetra Surik in The Old Republic: Revan is not the Jedi Exile that I remember.

neither was Revan the Authoritarian Revan who waged war to save others that I remember was in there. It was a [&@%!] of characters at the level of the Prequels.

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:59 pm 
Master
Master

The dark side exile is just a brute. he had literally no depth in his character. The ending was bad, with him just going crazy. and the Kreia's talks about the dark side were great, but we had no development on her part at all. even with her connection to the other lords. hell same goes for them too.
Dark side revan had depth. you went dark side, you saw everything that motivated Revan the first time around. same goes for the whole bit with the star forge.
The other chracter's weren't much better either. Compare Carth onasi to the handmaiden, or Bastilla to Atton.

Character's in the novel were taking into account the the Exiles and Revans taking thos paths.

The ambiguity of Revan is still maintained in the game, with what I saw in the whole quest line involving him.

Spoiler:
Made you look

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:50 pm 
Champion
Champion

Quote:
The dark side exile is just a brute.

You are not Truly Sith, nor are you Truly a Jedi. This is the Exile, who managed to totally disconnect herself (or himself if you headcanon it) from the Force. Disposing the 'Will of the Force.'

You are however brutish and manipulative as you want to be. You could completely ignore Kreia's teachings as a Jedi or Sith, or understand them as either.

Quote:
he had literally no depth in his character.

Erm. Mandalorian Wars. The whole the Exile turning away from War, turning away from the Force - and being just like Revan yet the sole difference is the Exile turned away from War after Malachor and Revan saw it as a necessary means to test the republic. To guarantee the Galaxy's safety. Literally the entire game is building up what character you want the Exile to be, how the Exile took Malachor and how it affected the echo that is the Exile.

Quote:
The ending was bad, with him just going crazy.

It..wasn't the ending? The Dark-side ending of KotOR 2 is that you do not destroy the Trayus Academy/Malachor V again. Instead either you, or one of your party members, stays on Malachor V to train others who would come there in order to help Revan's army. To train them like Kreia trained you, for the War of ideas and beliefs. That may, or may not, include the True Sith as enemies or allies. Revan needs Sith and Jedi, which you have trained in your travels. Or you can leave one of your party members to do this (in the restored content), and you still go off to find/help Revan. But you have Malachor V still be a beacon for others, of dark or light.

Quote:
and the Kreia's talks about the dark side were great, but we had no development on her part at all. even with her connection to the other lords. hell same goes for them too.

Few things, the same can be said for Yoda. There is literally no character to him besides being the Mentor, and that's all his purpose. But it's how he performs this purpose, and what he teaches that makes him great. For this Kreia is as well, even better. Because she not only the Force is connected, but there is no truth in the absolutism of he Jedi Code, nor the senseless violence of the Sith Code. Both are wrong, because both have the faults of not realizing their actions can create echos throughout the force. And instead of trying to figure it out, they await for the echo to reach them rather than walk in the dark places of the Galaxy.

Kreia has development in that you learn more about her true goal and more of what she is. Why exactly she had cared for and used/manipulated you since the beginning. And it entirely up to the player whether or not Kreia is a good mentor or a corrupted wandering. Her connection with the other lords is revealed either at the end, or if you have enough influence with her, she reveals that she was one of the Sith Lords of the Triumvirate. And she was cast down, revealing what is the plot. Other than that there is no big secret, no great revelation that'll shatter your core.

Quote:
Dark side revan had depth. you went dark side, you saw everything that motivated Revan the first time around. same goes for the whole bit with the star forge.

This is because Revan was always true to himself, no matter what personality he wore. He grew to despise weakness and realized that he won the Mandalorian Wars. But the Republic, did not win. If the galaxy was to be protected by whatever laid out there - it needed a strong central government. He realized this, making sure not to destroy the infastructure of the Republic while conquering. This was because, while he was efficiently brutal and Mandalorian in his tactics, he knew that if he lost he wanted the Republic to become stronger. The Sith are right about that; Conflict and Struggle allows people and civilizations to adapt and become stronger. In this, Revan saw that if he lost the Republic must be easily create another army to defend itself from whatever lay beyond the Outer Rim.

You get to truly learn Revan through his first master, Kreia, as a master knows their apprentice. And then looking back at several things (The Builder/Rakata test on Kashyyk), you begin to fully realize why Revan was the way he was or is. (As Chris Avellone, one of the writers and developers of KotOR 2, has Dark-side Revan be hi personal headcanon) Why he saw it as absolutely necessary to become Darth Revan. Yet this is destroyed after OR, because now it's all about Darth Revan being a puppet, breaking free and still being dark-side aligned, and deciding to do what I had said (test the Republic) besides the fact of knowing the 'True Sith Empire' exists. I much preferred a sense of not knowing what was out there. Whether or not the True Sith Empire was an ally or enemy. Who tricked the Mandalorians as pawns in the Wars, and what Revan had done out in the Outer Rim. What had helped him corrupt Jedi.

Quote:
The other chracter's weren't much better either. Compare Carth onasi to the handmaiden, or Bastilla to Atton.

You mean people in the first game who couldn't handle basic character flaws (trust, letting out your emotion) to more complex characters whom were tied to the Mandalorian Wars and the Event (Malachor V) in some way, shape, or form - be it how to fix the Republic, to being apart of Revan's armies or what have you. There was also a better system of if you [&@%!] off someone, you [&@%!] them off. There were consequences, unlike in KOTOR 1. If, on Tatooine, I killed the hunter I worked with - there were no repercussions from the other characters besides "it's dishonorable!' There was no border-line besides the one event of you choosing to be Darth Revan, or Jedi-pawn in Rakata Prime. Other than that, it's free reign. In Kotor 2, there were reprecussions, and people could actually becom the opposite of you. If you went Dark, and was an [&@%!] infront of Bao-Dur, he could become a Jedi while you were Sith. Or, opposite, you're an [&@%!] to the Handmaiden that she becomes a Sith rather than a Jedi if you're light-aligned.

Quote:
The ambiguity of Revan is still maintained in the game, with what I saw in the whole quest line involving him.

By butchering his character, killing off the Exile in a book, and having him die as a boss (not even final) against Sith players.

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:10 pm 
Master
Master

Yea, see, You think it's great for those reasons, it still doesn't do it for me, So let's just drop it.

I'm still on the TOR's side for their take on Revan though. His ambiguity was still in question even then, and Revan's not supposed to be the main thing in that story. It's the character's personal rise. Taking out Revan is a pretty great way to cement that. There was no character t to butcher, ssince the Character of Revan is totally dependant on the player.
But again, opinions.

Spoiler:
Made you look

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:38 pm 
Champion
Champion

The only aspect would be the total elimination of the Sith people or of any in Sith genetic codes. That's it.

He still apparently cares for the Republic, saying nearly destroying the Republic nearly destroyed him. So this isn't the Revan of KOTOR 1 or KOTOR 2. The problem is, TOR is suppose to be some type of sequel like WoW was suppose to be. Filling in the holes of what happened after Arthas, and what happened after Revan's War(s). But, it's so long into the future that most of that stuff would already be dead and gone, most stuff fixed and only seen in tidbits (Telos, Taris, the Revanchist cult), and taking a dialogue from KOTOR 2 and changing into these are the main antagonists of everything.

There's also a big issue when there's a great limitation to Dialogue, which feels forced and just neutral, light, dark. No questioning the Codes, no interesting plays at morality like Kreia did, you can either be Absolute to the Jedi Code or a senseless murder. Or a Jedi or Sith whose about to turn or sees some more practical means. The problem is - the character of Revan is not dependent on the player. His alignment is. Yet there was a set precedent in KOTOR 2 involving his hatred of weakness, and he was willing to wage war to save others. He was true to himself no matter what personality he wore, and his personality was one to do what was necessary. With the Sith Emperor plotline, it turns out Kreia does not know anything. He was not true to himself, but a puppet. And then a broken-free puppet and then redeemed. He did fall. End of story. It shattered the ambiguity of why he did what he did, it kills off a great character that you got to build (The Exile, and Revan - the Exile nearly got the worst of it due to it being in a book) and just leaves you empty inside because TOR's own plots, own lore, own morality is as jaded as the prequels.

VVV

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:12 pm 
Master
Master

hardly. I've played a Sith andd A jedi to an extent in the gme, And there are plenty of different Dialogue options through out the game.

The rest is up to you Really. I didn;t think so. Revan maintained his own personality thn, and by that point, he's what centuries old? there are other sith lords, and if Revan wasn't manipulated or something else, it wouldn't make sense. he isn't a god.
My main issue is having him in the game at all really.

Spoiler:
Made you look

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:23 pm 
Champion
Champion

Why did he need to be manipulated though? He didn't, anymore than Julius Caesar needed to be manipulated by the Chinese, or The French Revolutionaries manipulated by by the Old Viking Gods. It was nonsensical and made no sense, Revan would have attacked the Republic on his own, he would have found the Star Forge on his own, and made his "Sith" Empire on the simple grounds of truly testing the Republic. Not being like the Mandalorians and tricked, but on his own ground, on his terms.

Revan wasn't Sith, not truly, not anymore than Darth Sion, Malak, or Nihilus were sith. That corrupted men, machines and general of the Republic were 'Sith'. Sith is an idea, a belief. (This is ignoring the pathetic attempt at rehashing a human-Sith Empire from Empire and from KOTOR 1) As is mine, but it's because Revan doesn't deserve the fate he got in the game. The game doesn't even deserve to exist, not in the state it's currently in. Revan should be like he was in KOTOR 2, in the background. Mentioned and a big part of it, yet not there at all. Truly not there, no in the center stage.

VVV

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next