UESP Forums

Discuss the uesp.net site and Elder Scrolls topics.
* FAQ    * Search
* Register    * Login
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The New Members FAQ thread - Only OP related questions!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:41 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: All of them!
Platform: PC
UESPoints: 5
Greetings, new members, and welcome to the UESP forums! After you introduce yourself in our welcomes and goodbyes thread and read the rules, you might find that you have a question or two about how the forums work. Given the large number of usual FAQs we see, the moderator team has decided to give you your own special place to ask questions and get answers!

Please note that we do encourage all users to read the rules and use the search function to find if their question has already been asked here on the forums, but sometimes it happens that you can't find what you're looking for or you overlook it - or, and don't try to hide it from us, you might be feeling a little lazy. We hope this thread and a few changes we have planned will help out.

This is not a discussion or a comment topic. It is for questions about the forums and appropriate replies/answers only. Please do not ask game related questions here, but in their appropriate TES subforums. If you're unsure of where to go with a topic, please send a moderator a PM!

Any comments recommending text to add to this post should be sent to Avron or a member of the staff, via PM, and will be added by her or him appropriately.

First, let's address some of the common questions:

Why can't I get an Avatar, PM another User, or post a link?

You will normally get these rights after 7 full days of membership and 10 counted posts. Alternatively, you can go to the user control panel, select "Usergroups", click "Confirmed Users", and then "Join Group" - this will give Moderators your request, and in all but very few cases the rights are granted.

If you feel it's taking longer than usual and you've followed the above steps, please reach out a moderator - in green or pink - for help! There are several ways to contact us on and off the forums, and that information and our availability is in this thread.

Why isn't my post count increasing?

Post count will not increase for messages posted in the General Section or the TES General subforum. As this is a site about the Elder Scrolls, there is no reason to raise post count for General talk. This has been a matter of discussion, but the present policy prevails.

What is Necroposting, and why should it be avoided?

Necroposting is posting to a thread that hasn't had any replies for three months or more. Such a thread is considered dead or out-of-date, and unless the topic should be considered of permanent value, creating a new topic may be appropriate. In case of doubt, contact a moderator.

How can I hide spoilers? What is the spoiler tag for?
The spoiler tag is to hide either game information that might ruin it for players not yet as far as you (spoilers), or for other crafty measures such as hiding the answer to the joke you just asked. To use the spoiler tag, simply hit the SPOILER button above the text box and include the text between the two tags, or insert them yourself as follows:

Code:
[spoiler]secret spoiler stuff here[/spoiler]

What are the ranks under everyone's avatar and username?

A good discussion and explanation of this can be found in this thread of the UESP Site subforum.

Why is double post such a bad thing?

It's considered bad form to double post. If there are no new replies after your last one, use edit button at the bottom of your post to add some new information to your post. Double posting is considered as a rather bad no-do.

Why are my posts considered spam and/or off topic? What is "bad form" on the forums?

A lovely detailed explanation of this can be found in the thread What Would Avron Do?

Hopefully, this will answer your basic questions, but we still advise you to read the rules in full. It will help everyone here enjoy themselves to the fullest. And in case of doubt or in need of clarification, don't hesitate to ask, either via PM or right here in this thread.

Now get out there and start posting and have fun!

The Moderator Team.

A special and warm thank you all our great members who have volunteered to make this post informative. Thank you, everyone!

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."
The Tribunal Temple, Nerevar at Red Mountain

Find the S'wit:
ESO PC-NA: @Avron | Legends: nosoundcomes

Last edited by AKB on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
Updated.

Post subject: Re: The New Members FAQ thread - Ask questions here!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:42 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY, Skyrim
Platform: PC desktop
UESPoints: 0
This is a temporary Announcement, meant to serve new members until we get the text attached in the Welcome post, being sent to all in connection with registration. I've added the ranks to the rules (except the hypothetical ones).

Post subject: Tea Party Mods
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:07 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ES Games: Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Platform: PC and PS3
Someone want to fill me in on the significance of the naming for this mod group?

Thx :P

Post subject: Re: Tea Party Mods
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:12 am 
Warder
Warder

The Tea party mods patrol all of the general forums and it is their responsibility to keep them clean and spambot free. Or, you could go with the alternate explanation, that is that Avron is really a greenie that didn't want to change her pink color so we all just went, "meh" and left it at that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:00 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

dubq wrote:
Someone want to fill me in on the significance of the naming for this mod group?

Thx :P

Yes, kind of like what Cam said. There really is no "significance" in naming it; it was just a way to differentiate between, back then, a global moderator and a moderator with lesser powers. However,
Avron the S'wit wrote:
...Historically the TPMs were "moderators in training" who were extremely attractive assigned to the General Discussion subforums (the General Banter, The Arts, Multimedia, The Tech Desk, and Roleplays subforums) and who did not have full moderator abilities, but today we all have the same abilities and are also equal,* to make sure you can go to anyone on the team at anytime and get the same result, although we TPMs tend to hang around the General Discussion area more.

* - Except that we pink moderators are prettier and more handsome. Shhhhhh.

And while I do spend most of my time in the General Discussion subforums, I think it's pretty apparent that I help out on all parts of the forum, as do the other moderators...but that's another story for another day.

"[...] for the lives of gods are not what mortals think and matters that weigh only years to mortals weigh on gods forever."

Find the S'wit:

Post subject: Re: The New Members FAQ thread - Only OP related questions!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:22 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
I'm unsure if this is exactly the right place, but a lot of new members PM me after they have been confirmed asking about ElderStats cards, not that it's a bother for me though (always happy to help out :mrgreen:).

This is the general response I give them, and maybe if it could you somewhere, people might b able to access it, without having to go through the PM process, after going through the confirmation process too.

OblivionDuruza wrote:
Here's the code for my own Elderstat card: (with spaces after the 'http:' so you can see it)

Quote:
[url=http: //www.elderstats.com/character/S1/1471][img]http:%20//www.elderstats.com/statcard/1471.gif[/img][/url]

I got my unique code by going to 'statcard listings' in my own UCP at the ElderStats. (http://www.elderstats.com/ucp/statcards.php)

Maybe this info could be included somewhere?

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:12 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

That isn't entirely forums related, but I'll allow it to stay in this thread for people to see since it's helpful for the community (since we're all TES freaks and a few signatures have them). Thanks!

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dark Lord Cam wrote:
The Tea party mods patrol all of the general forums and it is their responsibility to keep them clean and spambot free. Or, you could go with the alternate explanation, that is that Avron is really a greenie that didn't want to change her pink color so we all just went, "meh" and left it at that.

Sorry, I am just seeing this now. I actually meant the naming of the mod group. I was thinking there was some crazy right-wing movement over here at the UESP forums and that they were all moderators (ie: the Tea Party). ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:28 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, I can be pretty militant, but the only tea party I identify with includes Earl Grey and biscuits. :wink:

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:48 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Avron the S'wit wrote:
Well, I can be pretty militant, but the only tea party I identify with includes Earl Grey and biscuits. :wink:

Haha, nice, the good kind of tea party! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:20 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

UESPoints: 4
I'm not that new, but, can someone tell me what the OP stands for? I think I know what it means, but does it stand for anything?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:20 pm 
Grand Master
Grand Master

addictedtomorrowind wrote:
I'm not that new, but, can someone tell me what the OP stands for? I think I know what it means, but does it stand for anything?

OP = Original post, i.e. the first post in the thread.

Find the S'wit:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:09 am 
Grand Master
Grand Master

ES Games: Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO, Legends, Blades
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XSX
It can also mean Original Poster, although Original Post is the more common usage. Still, I've seen both meanings used here.

Also note, that gamers might also use OP to mean Overpowered, I've seen that here too.

Click.

Beginner's Guide to Morrowind